HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 12:40 AM
steelcityassault

vCash: 500
Watched practice today. Bortuzzo is HUGE. Went from 207 to 220 this summer, he said.

Tangradi has to be the fastest 6'4 232 lb skater in the league. Really improved his speed from last season

Everyone says they never notice Strait, but I did. Very mobile, gets around the ice with a unique hopping style.. was underrated physically too, he was banging Kunitz etc pretty well

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Has anybody heard if the pens scrimmage is gonna be on tv? I think there putting the wild scrimmage on in Minnesota it be nice if they showed the pens on root sports.
Don't know if it will be on tv, but Im pretty sure the penguins website will be streaming it

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Watched practice today. Bortuzzo is HUGE. Went from 207 to 220 this summer, he said.

Tangradi has to be the fastest 6'4 232 lb skater in the league. Really improved his speed from last season

Everyone says they never notice Strait, but I did. Very mobile, gets around the ice with a unique hopping style.. was underrated physically too, he was banging Kunitz etc pretty well

Some people may not notice Strait, but I am not one of them. I was actually very impressed by him last season/playoffs in the NHL, and moreso than with Despres. It's easy to drool over some of Despres size or skills, but he also made some mistakes and was very sheltered.

Strait, on the other hand, played a very smart game, made very few mistakes, was extremely reliable defensively, and where he really surprised are in the two areas you noted: his footspeed and ability to keep up with opposing players, and his ability to handle them physically. This is why people who think this guy should be waived/traded for a bag of pucks or late round pick are nuts. This guy is a real, legitimate NHL player, and he's got value.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Thanks Netwolf. Always a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post

I like reading this. A lot.

It would be enormous for us if Tangradi and Bortuzzo pan out.
We really miss players with their characteristics.

To be honest, if it was up to me we start the season with this defense:

Orpik Letang
Martin Engelland
Despres Bortuzzo
Strait

Dealing Niskanen as part of a package for a winger and get what can potentially be gotten for Lovejoy. That defense is a suitable top4 D-man from being very good (Niskanen is an asset and a very nice player, but with Letang a better version of him, Niskanen will never be the answer for us in the top 4), and we have the offense to live with some growing pains from the youngsters who will only gain value and NHL competence by actually playing there.
At the deadline, we can add that missing D-man for a cup run, and we will have done a lot to insure the transition to the younger D-group while not throwing away assets on D.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:09 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

So Dejan has a feature on Despres up on the web.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...-penguins-game

And while I agree with the premise that the guy is probably a long shot to start the year with the big club because of the waiver eligibility situation, I'm still pretty confused how he went from this at the start of the week:

Quote:
Comment From Matt in Ann Arbor: Why isn‘t Simon Depres being invited to camp? He proved he was NHL ready last year, regardless of his AHL stats this year. He‘d be #3 or #4 on this defensive corps.

Dejan Kovacevic: I‘m told the Penguins are robustly displeased with Despres‘s level of dedication. That‘s a big disappointment. This should have been a big season for him.
Quote:
@Dejan_Kovacevic
Question for #Pens fans: What’s a fair expectation for Simon Despres at this training camp?

@MarkMaddenX
Is he even invited?

‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
.@MarkMaddenX Surprisingly, he’s here. Not sure why, based on what’s been heard all week.
...to this today:

Quote:
I can tell you the Penguins were plenty disappointed with how Despres reported to camp two summers ago. And they had every right. He wasn‘t hitting the weights, wasn‘t watching his waist, and it very much showed on the ice. Some went so far as to question his dedication.

But that, by all accounts, changed this past offseason and carried into a season at Wilkes-Barre that‘s been steady if unspectacular.
Well it sure as hell couldn't have been "by all accounts" if just a few days ago Dejan reported that Despres was still being slagged for his dedication. If there was some confusion or misunderstanding between him and sources, it would be nice for him to come out and say that to clear it up. Frankly there's a very important difference on whether the criticism of Despres was based on last year, this year or both. Because it raises some troubling red flags about the kid if it's either of those last two.

Maybe I'm missing something here. It's not like it's a huge deal in the long run. But it's a confusing situation.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I kind of want to see what Niskanen does in a bigger role. We seem to have completely repaired him from the mess he was toward the end of his Dallas career. He's either going to run with this top 4 opportunity and really up his value to us and potentially to other teams or fall flat on his face and be relegated back to bottom pairing duty.

I'd probably start with a predictable group of
Niskanen Letang
Orpik Martin
Strait Engelland (went with Strait in the lineup over Bortuzzo because he's a lefty and Bortuzzo is a righty)
Bortuzzo

I'd waive Lovejoy and send Despres to the minors until an injury hits.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

And while I agree with the premise that the guy is probably a long shot to start the year with the big club because of the waiver eligibility situation, I'm still pretty confused how he went from this at the start of the week:

...to this today:

Well it sure as hell couldn't have been "by all accounts" if just a few days ago Dejan reported that Despres was still being slagged for his dedication. If there was some confusion or misunderstanding between him and sources, it would be nice for him to come out and say that to clear it up. Frankly there's a very important difference on whether the criticism of Despres was based on last year, this year or both. Because it raises some troubling red flags about the kid if it's either of those last two.

Maybe I'm missing something here. It's not like it's a huge deal in the long run. But it's a confusing situation.
Dejan is rapidly becoming Rossi 2.0 unfortunately. I don't pay much attention to what he says anymore.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

He is a blowhard, and he is supposed to opine on all Pittsburgh's pro-teams.

I admit that I give him a little bit more line than others, because at least he will call Bylsma out on his most notable flaws unlike most the beat writers, but one probably shouldn't put much stock in his 'news coverage'.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 AM
cheesedanish87

Not sure if this tweet has been posted in any threads its from this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...15651607543808

Most interesting battle in PIT camp is who gets to play wing with Malkin and Neal. Eric Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey and Beau Bennett in hunt.

I really hope they decide to give it to Tangradi. He plays a similar game to kunitz and its time to figure out what we got with this guy.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

Most interesting battle in PIT camp is who gets to play wing with Malkin and Neal. Eric Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey and Beau Bennett in hunt.

I really hope they decide to give it to Tangradi. He plays a similar game to kunitz and its time to figure out what we got with this guy.
some fun replies:

Quote:
Soo Greyhounds ‏@OHLHoundPower
@TSNBobMcKenzie we’ll take Soo Greyhound hero, Dustin Jeffrey, any day Bob!
Quote:
Eric NystromVerified ‏@enystrom23
@TSNBobMcKenzie skated w bennett this summer. Hes got some serious mitts!

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

Yeah, I agree that's the most interesting battle. Now should be the time for Tangradi. He does go to the net and do the little things that should open up space for guys like Malkin and Neal but he's got to show he can produce some points and goals too.

I've always liked Jeffrey but still unsure where he fits on this team.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:41 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Some people may not notice Strait, but I am not one of them. I was actually very impressed by him last season/playoffs in the NHL, and moreso than with Despres. It's easy to drool over some of Despres size or skills, but he also made some mistakes and was very sheltered.

Strait, on the other hand, played a very smart game, made very few mistakes, was extremely reliable defensively, and where he really surprised are in the two areas you noted: his footspeed and ability to keep up with opposing players, and his ability to handle them physically. This is why people who think this guy should be waived/traded for a bag of pucks or late round pick are nuts. This guy is a real, legitimate NHL player, and he's got value.
That's obviously the reason he's in camp. Even though we have an abundance of D-men they are affraid they will loose him for nothing. By the end of the week at least one of them has to go. I think it will be one of Despres, because he can be sent down, or one of Strait & Lovejoy will be traded or waived. I think Bortuzzo is a lock.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Kovacevic: Penguins right to delay Despres

http://http://triblive.com/sports/de...-penguins-game

This Paragraph ought to make you Projectile Vomit

Every game counts.

Every mistake is magnified.

So don‘t read too much into Despres being paired with Deryk Engelland in the skating session Sunday. By the time the puck drops next weekend, Ben Lovejoy should join Engelland on that third pairing. Shero expects to keep eight defensemen to open the season, and the two extras should be Robert Bortuzzo and Brian Strait. That makes sense for roster management alone: Despres doesn‘t have to clear waivers, and all the rest do.

Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:17 AM
wtbipyo

Bortuzzo beats out Lovejoy for that job. Shutdown pair eventually of Engelland and the Bort?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

...to this today:

I called out that initial report as BS a couple of days ago. Then suddenly Despres was in camp, even though he wasn't suppose to be invited. Now he contradicts himself?

Despres was playing well up until his injury, much better than he did last year before his call up. Why exactly would the Pen's brass be upset with him showing marked improvements?

Again, it didn't make sense when I read the quote and Despres being invited to camp tells me there is something off about this "report".

Edit:

Dupuis even says how hard Despres worked out with him all Summer:

Quote:
“Simon‘s always been one of those guys who was so gifted, always the top guy, even without working for it,” right winger Pascal Dupuis said. “It probably surprised him how guys here are all fast, all skilled, all big ... but they also work hard in the gym and do the right things off the ice. I think Simon sees that.”
Dupuis made sure of it. Those two partnered in workouts last summer in Quebec, waking each day at 7:15 a.m. and putting in long, hard hours until, as Dupuis described it with a grin, “His shirt was soaked, you know?”
Worked out hard with Dupuis this Summer, played well in the A, got invited to camp....

Evidence adds up to a BS report.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 01-14-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Doesn't that sort of make it seem like he's currently the number 9 D option?
Let's see what's going on the rest of this week. Absent a trade, I'm not sold on the idea that the Pens will diverge from keeping all 8 one way deals on the roster.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Orpik, Letang, Martin, Niskanen, Engelland, Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, Despres.

Only one guy can be sent down and we all know who that is, and I like the fact they'll be carrying 8 D-man this short season.

One thing I don't like, is carrying on without some more added proven/veteran depth on defense.

I doubt it will happen for the mere matter that camp is so short and not a lick of a preseason. So these guys know the system to the point of no addition until proven otherwise.

"One less forward spot", count on some serious double shifting by the three centers.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Orpik Letang
Martin Engelland
Despres Bortuzzo
Strait

Dealing Niskanen as part of a package for a winger and get what can potentially be gotten for Lovejoy. That defense is a suitable top4 D-man from being very good (Niskanen is an asset and a very nice player, but with Letang a better version of him, Niskanen will never be the answer for us in the top 4), and we have the offense to live with some growing pains from the youngsters who will only gain value and NHL competence by actually playing there.
At the deadline, we can add that missing D-man for a cup run, and we will have done a lot to insure the transition to the younger D-group while not throwing away assets on D.
Interesting. With so many teams hard up for a defenseman, Nisky definitely would have value and perhaps could be part of a package for a guy for the top six. I don't see it even being a consideration, but an interesting proposition nonetheless.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:00 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I called out that initial report as BS a couple of days ago. Then suddenly Despres was in camp, even though he wasn't suppose to be invited. Now he contradicts himself?

Despres was playing well up until his injury, much better than he did last year before his call up. Why exactly would the Pen's brass be upset with him showing marked improvements?

Again, it didn't make sense when I read the quote and Despres being invited to camp tells me there is something off about this "report".

Edit:

Dupuis even says how hard Despres worked out with him all Summer:

Worked out hard with Dupuis this Summer, played well in the A, got invited to camp....

Evidence adds up to a BS report.
Well, we'll have our confirmation later this week given Dejan's double down.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Orpik Letang
Martin Engelland
Despres Bortuzzo
Strait

I can't see DB starting that lineup, but assuming this trade happens later in the season because the young kids step up....

I'm a little worried about Engo's foot speed. He got caught on the corners a few times and didn't transition fast enough.

I'm down with moving Nisky, but I'd rather see Despres or Bort with Martin. Both have much better speed, skating and range.

Strait and Engo could make a really tough shutdown third pairing. That would be a hell of a pairing I think.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, we'll have our confirmation later this week given Dejan's double down.
Well, given waiver status, it's just obvious what he said.

That isn't some keen insider info...

Old
01-14-2013, 09:19 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I can't see DB starting that lineup, but assuming this trade happens later in the season because the young kids step up....

I'm a little worried about Engo's foot speed. He got caught on the corners a few times and didn't transition fast enough.

I'm down with moving Nisky, but I'd rather see Despres or Bort with Martin. Both have much better speed, skating and range.

Strait and Engo could make a really tough shutdown third pairing. That would be a hell of a pairing I think.
TR suggested Nisky and a 2nd for Setoguchi on the trade board. If Shero parlayed, in the end, Gogo and a 2nd into Neal and Setoguchi, a pair of long term wingers for Sid, then wow, just wow. You know, for that deal, I think you do it and deal with upgrading the defense later in the year.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Well, given waiver status, it's just obvious what he said.

That isn't some keen insider info...
Well, sure, but my point was that IF Shero exposed Lovejoy or Strait to waivers, then we'd have definitive proof that Dejan's column was, as you said, BS. Otherwise, if the Pens do what is expected, then we'll never know for sure.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Wait, Despres is in camp now?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, sure, but my point was that IF Shero exposed Lovejoy or Strait to waivers, then we'd have definitive proof that Dejan's column was, as you said, BS. Otherwise, if the Pens do what is expected, then we'll never know for sure.
Well we have enough evidence his first report was BS and ironically he provided most of that evidence.