HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Landon Ferraro

Old
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Landon Ferraro

A lot of people were calling him a bust because of his junior days after being drafted. He seemed to be a head case after not getting a long with a coach. Now that hes been in the AHL, hes turned himself into a Darren Helm type player.

Hes extremely fast, can chip in offense, throws his weight around and is killer on the PK. Hes producing at a pretty good pace as well. Do people think hes back on track now that his injuries seemed to be behind him and hes shaping up well in the AHL, or is he a career 4th liner/ AHL player?

I personally think hes going to be a solid third liner for the wings and think hes starting to develop a nice niche as a role player with some offense, even if he doesnt live up to his sniper billing on draft day

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I remember reading a story about his draft day... His hype kinda tailed off.. I hope he makes it.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:57 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Been doing well in the AHL this year

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Sticks and Pucks

How does he compare with Riley Sheahan?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:14 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
He doesn't drive super drunk wearing Tinky Winky costume.

He's smaller, RH (we need those), faster. Not as much upside. Sheahan could have shot at top6 if he developed he's physical game and offense a bit. Mean a lot. Ferraro is actually at least as physical as Sheahan imo.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Nitram27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He doesn't drive super drunk wearing Tinky Winky costume.

Nitram27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
joe89

Quote:
From different draft years, but they're similar in age. Right now I'd take Ferraro. He shows more offensive upside and has tools on the PK that's more interesting to me than the even-strength smarts Sheahan has. Plus there's absolutely no question about Ferraro's dedication(hardest worker on the Griffins), while Riley's had his share of adventures by now(for some that's not a negative but it's not a positive either). Their upside remains about equal for me still though, Sheahan's in his first pro year so I'll give him the benefit.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:22 PM
newfy

Quote:
Both look to have similar upside. Ferraro is quicker but Sheahan has the size to translate the style of game he plays to the NHL more so its hard to say. Ferraro plays extremely similar to Helm, mucking in the corners and playing fearless, Helm can do it but not every small guy can.

Itll be interesting to see how it all plays out

Old
12-08-2012, 04:28 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Both look to have similar upside. Ferraro is quicker but Sheahan has the size to translate the style of game he plays to the NHL more so its hard to say. Ferraro plays extremely similar to Helm, mucking in the corners and playing fearless, Helm can do it but not every small guy can.

Itll be interesting to see how it all plays out
I'd like to think Ferraro's upside is that of a right handed Cleary clone, he can chip in with some 20-20 seasons, play anywhere from the 3rd line all the way to the top line. But like Cleary Ferraro will more than likely only play in 65-75 games a year because of his style.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
tfong

Is decision making or hockey sense still an issue for him?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Wow he just keeps on going, scored 2 today to bring him up to 17 points in 22 games. It would appear that after having almost all hope of an NHL career thrown away he's finally starting to live up to his potential. Also an interesting point he's only 3 points away from equaling his entire point total from last year but he'll have down it in 30 or so less games.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Third on the team in scoring behind Nyquist and Tatar.

IMO, he's got a chance to be with the Wings fulltime next year ... unless the Wings do something stupid ... like convince Steve Thomas to come out of retirement.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

IMO, he's got a chance to be with the Wings fulltime next year ... unless the Wings do something stupid ... like convince Steve Thomas to come out of retirement.
It's Detroit...Even if he deserves it, we probably won't see him full time until he's 25 or something.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Jimbo7200

Guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, sort of tweener 2nd/3rd liners, have me feeling very optimistic about the future of the Wings. Super depth players like these guys help you win games.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

So, it wasn't Steve Thomas. But the Wings have offered Mike Knuble a tryout.... love the youth movement in Detroit, where prospects die on the vine and hit free agency 90 games into their career.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Anchor Town

27 points in 36 games for Ferraro now. 3rd on the Griffins and only behind Nyquist and Tatar who are top 25 in the AHL themselves. Also has the most SHG in the AHL

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He'll be a good serviceable number 2 guy IMO.

01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Booom

Quote:
A lot of people were calling him a bust because of his junior days after being drafted. He seemed to be a head case after not getting a long with a coach. Now that hes been in the AHL, hes turned himself into a Darren Helm type player.

Hes extremely fast, can chip in offense, throws his weight around and is killer on the PK. Hes producing at a pretty good pace as well. Do people think hes back on track now that his injuries seemed to be behind him and hes shaping up well in the AHL, or is he a career 4th liner/ AHL player?

I personally think hes going to be a solid third liner for the wings and think hes starting to develop a nice niche as a role player with some offense, even if he doesnt live up to his sniper billing on draft day
wasn't Landon that didn't get along with his coaches, it was Daddy. Same reason he went to Red Deer in the draft instead of to (blanking who had the pick before them) who wanted to take Landon.

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
wasn't Landon that didn't get along with his coaches, it was Daddy. Same reason he went to Red Deer in the draft instead of to (blanking who had the pick before them) who wanted to take Landon.
I could see that but I bet it was on Landon as well. He was apparently pretty bad in the dressing room and butted heads with Wallin the former red wing who coached him. It may have partially been to frustration from all his junior injuries that were leaving him disappointing.

Ferraro is actually scoring at a higher clip then Helm did in his second AHL season, Ferraro is seriously looking like a Helm clone out there. Not quite as fast but still has elite speed, and seems like he can finish. Plays a gritty game and is nasty on the PK, hes got 5 or 6 short handed points this year out there. Maybe he isnt a bust after all now that his attitude and health have straightened out a bit

Old
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Booom

Quote:
I could see that but I bet it was on Landon as well. He was apparently pretty bad in the dressing room and butted heads with Wallin the former red wing who coached him. It may have partially been to frustration from all his junior injuries that were leaving him disappointing.

Ferraro is actually scoring at a higher clip then Helm did in his second AHL season, Ferraro is seriously looking like a Helm clone out there. Not quite as fast but still has elite speed, and seems like he can finish. Plays a gritty game and is nasty on the PK, hes got 5 or 6 short handed points this year out there. Maybe he isnt a bust after all now that his attitude and health have straightened out a bit
no doubt Landon was frustrated but it didn't escalate until Ray got involved. (and this is not speculation)

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

Detroit will have 10 forwards next year with Filppula, Nyquist, and Brunner off the books.

Now, Brunner might not pan out, so that could knock us down to 12 forwards, but if that happens, Tatar's the next call-up.

And then one has to wonder how much pressure Calle Jarnkrok is gonna put on management, because he'll almost certainly turn pro next year.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:37 AM
ricky0034

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferraro makes the Wings a lot sooner than some people think he will

I mean yeah the roster spots are a problem but Ferraro can slot in perfectly in the bottom 6 and has a lot of potential on the PK,gotta think that gives him a bit of an edge

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:51 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
And then one has to wonder how much pressure Calle Jarnkrok is gonna put on management, because he'll almost certainly turn pro next year.
He will, they confirmed that both Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen are coming over. Marchenko remains a situation that is somewhat in flux.

Quote:
Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen will be in North America next season, competing for a spot on the Red Wings roster.

“Let them come to camp and see where they fit in,'' Nill said. “If they're ready, good. If not, they'll go to Grand Rapids.''
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ospects_c.html

I do wonder if this is where we see Ferraro moves out to the wing. If Sheahan and Jarnkrok are both in Grand Rapids, I doubt they want Ferraro still hanging out on the third line. He will bump outside. Glendening and Aubry will probably man the third and fourth line center spots and that is a pretty powerful middle for an AHL team. I think Ferraro's future is on the wing anyway in the NHL. He is somewhere in the middle of a Cleary and Maltby type. That has a lot of value, he is far removed from the disaster ending of his junior career that saw many lose faith in his future.

Jarnkrok does have a decent chance of making the Wings outright if they really give him that look. I more see him doing a Filppula than Zetterberg (straight into the big club) though, where he does spend sometime in Grand Rapids but not the long turn that many of the Wings prospects have had to do.

Grand Rapids is about to get a scary influx of talent even while losing Nyquist, Smith and Tatar hopefully to graduation over the next year.

Sproul, Frk, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Ouellet, Quine along with possibles on Tvrdon (will see if they overage him or what his injuries do to this time line), Marchenko (maybe) and Jensen (probably)

All showing up at the same time. I know they will be young but that is still funny to see that much talent all show up at once. Guys like Quine and Nedomlel should they sign both are probably looking at toying with the ECHL for a little bit.

I doubt Grand Rapids even uses all their Vet signings next year and will still be a terrific team with Mrazek in net and some of the firepower they have that should still be around.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-14-2013 at 03:00 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Ferraro makes the Wings a lot sooner than some people think he will

I mean yeah the roster spots are a problem but Ferraro can slot in perfectly in the bottom 6 and has a lot of potential on the PK,gotta think that gives him a bit of an edge
The problem is that Detroit already has 10+ players who are bottom 6ers

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:26 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
The problem is that Detroit already has 10+ players who are bottom 6ers
Trade Miller and Emmerton.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote