HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev

View Poll Results: Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev
Patrick Kane 70 56.00%
Alex Kovalev 55 44.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
if we want to project careers, i think kane could go one of two ways: as a shifty little guy injuries could start to be a factor, as they were for pat lafontaine. on the other hand, look at danny briere now. kane is a very intelligent player, as much as i hate him, and maybe the kind of player who can be very productive well into his 30s.

one advantage kane has over lafontaine and briere, who are two guys he's always kind of reminded me of (buffalo connection?), is that he's always played wing, except for that one failed experiment. lafontaine took a lot more abuse as a career center, and briere as he started relying more on smarts than his physical abilities moved from center to wing in his 30s. by the time he hits 30, kane might have a lot less wear on his body than those guys.

the other guy i kind of compare kane to is kessel. difference being that kessel seems to me like the kind of guy where once his wheels start to slip and he can't create room to get that shot off, he'll be done as an elite point producer. kane, i think, is on another level mentally and should be just fine.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Hemsky hasn't come close to touching Kovalev's couple of biggest seasons and Kovalev had over 1000 career points, so no, let's not.
Kovalev's often unsatisfactory results and attrocious work ethic are often excused due to his alleged immense talent. Why not do the same for other immensly talented players that haven't lived up to their billing?

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I dunno guys...Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr (found in part 2/2) are the only ones seen as more skillful by those who would be qualified to give a valued opinion. Lemieux wasn't on the video, we all know he knows first hand.Further, I'm going to say Kovy has more talent than they or anyone else ever did.

For those compare their rank on their teams' cup runs (in order):
Messier, Richter, Leetch, Kovalev, Zubov
Byfuglien, Toews, Keith, Kane, Niemi
Silly way to compare, but all things considered they really seem to fall even in importance in credit to OP, IMO.

Side note because I've seen this brought up a few times- If Toews doesn't win the Conn Smythe, there's no way in sam hell Byfuglien isn't next in line. Without him Kane and Toews are on their ass via Pronger.

fakekidpoker- what year did Kane get all star game MVP? Kovalev got it in 09, along with the first team selection and the captain's C.

Heh, the mother****** is so scary sick he's found his way on the scoresheet 1000+ times and IT'S SEEN AS A ******* DISAPPOINTMENT!

If he had a red walrus beard, would he then be worthy of a trip to the HHOF??? You know what I'm talking about...

Kovy for the win.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post

I dunno guys...Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr (found in part 2/2) are the only ones seen as more skillful by those who would be qualified to give a valued opinion. Lemieux wasn't on the video, we all know he knows first hand.Further, I'm going to say Kovy has more talent than they or anyone else ever did.

Silly way to compare, but all things considered they really seem to fall even in importance in credit to OP, IMO.

Side note because I've seen this brought up a few times- If Toews doesn't win the Conn Smythe, there's no way in sam hell Byfuglien isn't next in line. Without him Kane and Toews are on their ass via Pronger.

fakekidpoker- what year did Kane get all star game MVP? Kovalev got it in 09, along with the first team selection and the captain's C.

Heh, the mother****** is so scary sick he's found his way on the scoresheet 1000+ times and IT'S SEEN AS A ******* DISAPPOINTMENT!

If he had a red walrus beard, would he then be worthy of a trip to the HHOF??? You know what I'm talking about...

Kovy for the win.
An all-star game MVP? You know your career lacked substance when this needs to be brought up as a point in your favour.

And actually Kane exploded after Byfuglien was removed from his line. Him, Sharp, and Versteeg in particular had a field day against Pronger, turning the tide for Chicago in the final.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
the edler
Inimitable

i'm sick and tired of kovalev's mythical skills, i bet if he only cared he could come up with a cure for cancer too, right? and walk a tightrope with a grizzly bear on his shoulders, right? if he only cared? because he was so talented

what tricks you do with the puck in practice in front of your teammates is irrelevant, it's how the skills translates to games that matter, practice is called practice for a reason, allen iverson knows that

the edler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
i'm sick and tired of kovalev's mythical skills, i bet if he only cared he could come up with a cure for cancer too, right? and walk a tightrope with a grizzly bear on his shoulders, right? if he only cared? because he was so talented

what tricks you do with the puck in practice in front of your teammates is irrelevant, it's how the skills translates to games that matter, practice is called practice for a reason, allen iverson knows that
Exactly. For some odd reason people think this guy would have been Guy Lafleur or Mike Bossy if only he tried harder. I've never really understood it.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Went Kovalev, because I think he was more talented.

If I was starting a team from scratch, I'd probably take Kane because of his consistency compared to Kovalev

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Exactly. For some odd reason people think this guy would have been Guy Lafleur or Mike Bossy if only he tried harder. I've never really understood it.
agreed. but that said, i think kovalev could have probably been mike modano if he'd wanted to. other than the skating, he had all the physical gifts modano had and probably was the more natural goal scorer and playmaker. and i'm pretty sure he was drafted as a center too.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Close but it is Kane for me. It is going to sound strange but he is a smaller, quicker player. I would almost say he is a more skilled player, but I will not. Good comparison in a lot of ways. I agree with some others here that Kane has already hit Kovalev's level and may surpass if he adds some things to his game and parties a little less

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:17 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:

Kovy for the win.
DId you just make an argument for Kovalev based on an All Star MVP?

An All Star game that took place in his teams city?

An All Star game that he shouldn't have even played in?

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:

Kovy for the win.
Kovalev more important than team leading scorer Sergei Zubov in 1994?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:36 AM
ot92s

looks like ak27 may lace em up for florida this year...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Big Phil

I guess I'd say Kane. Kovalev drove you nuts to no end. We talk about Mogilny and Kovalev being similar but I'll tell you one thing, when Mogilny wanted to play he was more "on" than Kovalev. That being said the player with the all around best year was Kane in 2010. Kovalev was also not as valuable in his lone Cup win in 1994 as Kane was with his. It isn't unusual to talk about the fact that Kane should have won the Conn Smythe. You wouldn't say that about Kovalev at all. Leetch, Messier, Richter are all easily ahead of him. Kovalev is more in the Zubov, Graves, Larmer group.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:14 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Kane should have split the CS with Keith.

I'm a Hawks fan and like Toews and all but that vote was really just wrong

Old
01-13-2013, 04:34 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Kovalev's best year was with Montreal in 2008 because he was actually the real go-to-guy and he wasn't only good at offense , he was pretty good all-around that year.He also killed penalties.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Kovalev's best year was with Montreal in 2008 because he was actually the real go-to-guy and he wasn't only good at offense , he was pretty good all-around that year.He also killed penalties.
Actually, no one who actually saw him play while in Pittsburgh would (or "should", imo) say he was a "better" player later on in Montreal, and you should know that Kovalev was a second line PKer in Pittsburgh in '99/00, and led all Pittsburgh forwards in SH TOI/game in '00/01.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
FakeKidPoker*

I don't know how Montreal fans can be such fans of Kovalev...

The guy was there for...four years and had one season where you could really call it great.

the rest were so-so to bad.

... He wasn't even part of their run to the conference final

Then he went straight to a divisional rival in Ottawa for the money and stunk it up there.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:52 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
agreed. but that said, i think kovalev could have probably been mike modano if he'd wanted to. other than the skating, he had all the physical gifts modano had and probably was the more natural goal scorer and playmaker. and i'm pretty sure he was drafted as a center too.
Why the hell would Kovalev have wanted to be Modano?

Kovalev was the better player from 00-01 on. Before that, neither player was a top forward in the league. It's like saying that Jaromir Jagr could have been Eric Lindros because Lindros was better/had better seasons for a few years at the start of their careers, largely something that was influenced by opportunity/linemates.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

Kovalev was the better player from 00-01 on. Before that, neither player was a top forward in the league. It's like saying that Jaromir Jagr could have been Eric Lindros because Lindros was better/had better seasons for a few years at the start of their careers, largely something that was influenced by opportunity/linemates.
Why wouldn't Kovalev want to be a no-brainer Hall of Famer?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:52 AM
tfong

If we are talking about who has the better career I choose Kane, I think his career will be better than Kovalevs eventually.

If we talk about which player we want for out team? I'd take AK, the guy when he turned it on was on the same level of dominance as a Jagr or 2nd tier HoFs.

Kane hasn't really shown me that dominance yet. But he has plenty of time to change my mind.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
If we are talking about who has the better career I choose Kane, I think his career will be better than Kovalevs eventually.

If we talk about which player we want for out team? I'd take AK, the guy when he turned it on was on the same level of dominance as a Jagr or 2nd tier HoFs.

Kane hasn't really shown me that dominance yet. But he has plenty of time to change my mind.
Kovalev never had the dominance of Jagr.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Kovalev never had the dominance of Jagr.
You talking stats wise or watching?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Voted Kane

As for the debate of there youth/production

Kane's is even more impressive going up against shut down lines ,, While Kovalev got the benefit while early in his career going against lower quality opposition as Messier , Graves , etc were far more a threat to opponent

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

Seriously? Modano was one of the top centermen of the late 90's/early 00's. Modano has nine of the top ten seasons between the two of them. There's no comparison at all. A Jarome Iginla vs Ryan Smyth comparison would draw more healthy debate than this. But why stop at Modano. Now we're comparing Kovalev to Jagr?!

Kovalev had a run of three high quality years in Pittsburgh, and one good year in Montreal. The guy hit 60 points like three other times in his entire career. Basically an average first line winger. Again, the mythical status he's achieved continues to astound me. He's Alex Tanguay with a few extra inconsequential years to pad career stats.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Not to get ahead of anything here but it seems Kane is going to have another elite offensive year.

Think if Kane can put up 55-60 points this year it pretty much already wins the vote for Kane.