HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pickup Hockey (or beer leagues) and supplements

Old
11-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Eh, nothing special for me. I drink Gatorade on the bench, only guy in both my leagues that does. Always funny when people burn their eyes because they try to rinse their face with my water bottle. They get mad at me for laughing too but I just tell them to bring they're own if they're going to complain and they quickly shut up.

I never seem to have an appetite after playing though. I play one morning game a week and I have to force feed myself food during the day because if I didn't, I'd probably eat 1 small meal for the whole day... Before games, maybe a banana or yogurt or something...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:12 PM
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMa

Creatine mixed in 100% grape juice works well but i havent done that in a couple years.
In Juniors we used to get boxes and boxes of a "marathon runner" gel supplement called GU and it worked well. Take one 15 minutes before and it should last for a beer league game. We used to take one between each period. Come in all types of flavors, i like vanilla

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I mix XFit Trainer pre-workout formula with Gatorade G2 on my way to the rink. I started taking supplements when I hit 30 any time I do some sort of strenuous activity like working out or playing hockey and I'm rarely sore after games. Some supplements have upset my stomach, some seem to wear off over time so I usually will switch brands and try something new every few months. XFit is the first supplement I've taken where you have to tell the person at GNC to get it for you because it's locked up.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:16 AM
BADoglick

I don't take any supplements. I just diet before the game. And puff

BADoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADoglick View Post
I don't take any supplements. I just diet before the game. And puff
I know a kid in my high school league that did this.. He now plays division 1 college hockey. I guess I was doing it all wrong

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
brom7

For me, I usually took a 5 hour energy before my games (High School) and then Branch-Chained Amino Acids. Works the same as creatine, but doesn't have the same affect on your liver. YAY BCAA's!

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
How is C4?

As long as I didn't use it for lifting, I'll usually drink some NO Xplode and partake in a little holistic healing. Creates a rather unique zen-like state and I want to skate like the wind for hours.
I like the C4 and most of my team uses it. We are 34-40 yr olds playing teams that are usually 18-25 at 10pm or later after working all day so it's helping us prolong going into the over 40
Division. Lol.

I'm a healthy person and I'm sure it's not the best thing for me but it helps me compete at what I love and I use it moderately, 1-1.5 scoops.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Casey44

Craze is awesome. 1-2 scoops while getting dressed and i feel great through the whole game.

Casey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Gatorade/Lucozade/Powerade and a 500ml Protein Shake afterwards - and I only ref haha...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
do0glas

Beer and wings

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Oh_so_saad

Eat sleep tren

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
Trying to keep it as paleo as possible I have found it hard to not eat whole wheat or multi grain pasta ~24 hours before... can anyone help me find a substitute?

For after I make a high quality protein shake (says organic and all natural but it's probably b.s.), Banana, coconut milk and H20.

I know the after thing works because I can play 3 nights in a row and be good.. (again assuming i'm eating more pasta than I want to be).

If i don't have that shake or miss one component even back to back games can be rough.
I try to eat organic and gluten free and I work out 5-7 days a week.
My pre gym meal is usually an egg, half a cup-ish of beans w/ plenty of spinach and/or beats. Good balance of protein and carbs
Beats are one ofthe best natural sources for getting nitric oxide, spinach aids in muscle function as well, not a myth.

For best muscle growth and repair it's best to drink your protein shake right after working out and then eating some quality meat 1-2 hours afterward, beef does have the best source of creatine. I use plant based protein for my shakes, usually mix w/ almond milk and tastes great. Will never use whey or soy protein myself, learned that the hard way.
Also if something is certified organic you can rest assured it is, it is an absolute biatch to get certified from what I understand.
edit:sorry beets, not beats; but some good beats can get me going too!

Last edited by zombiekopitor: 01-13-2013 at 11:56 PM.
zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:07 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
I try to eat organic and gluten free and I work out 5-7 days a week.
My pre gym meal is usually an egg, half a cup-ish of beans w/ plenty of spinach and/or beats. Good balance of protein and carbs
Beats are one ofthe best natural sources for getting nitric oxide, spinach aids in muscle function as well, not a myth.
Well no wonder I'm always up for a game after having some good wholesome borscht for dinner. Not that I have a real routine or anything but I make every month or two on my cooking days, girlfriend always loves it but I gotta watch her with the sour cream.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
For best muscle growth and repair it's best to drink your protein shake right after working out...
That's what I live by, too. But I read the 4 Hour Body and he decided to test this theory by implanting a blood sensor and measuring when nutrients got to his bloodstream. What he found was that it took much longer than expected, enough so to argue for taking your protein shake right before working out, that way the protein was in the bloodstream right when your body needed it. I still take my protein shake after working out, but it's something to think about.

I am, however, fanatical about eating a full meal within 60 minutes of working out, no excuses. My body consistently shuts down if I miss that window. One of the dangers to going for a beer after a game. For this reason, I always pack a protein bar. (Not sufficient, but helps.)

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:13 AM
sxHarr05

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I tend to drink tons of water throughout the day (I literally don't touch my waterbottle during the game as a result) and about 30mins before the game I'll drink a Pre-workout drink.

My first foray into the world of pre-workout supplements was:
-MusclePharm Assault

I just ordered Fierce Domination by S.A.N. which has been come highly recommended to me.

While the pre-workout drink did give me some jitters before the game started but I had an abundance of energy and intensity for the duration of the game.
I know it's an older post but I wanted to second it anyway. I've been using Assault for a little over a year I'm guessing and LOVE it. Use it before gym (obviously), mountain biking, before playing roller and now ice. I've got to work on the timing of the consumption, although it is pretty cool feeling it kick in when the blood gets flowing hard.

On a related note, I just re-ordered some "old guy" supplements. Mainly GH and TEST boosters. It may be too late for my hair but I'll take the help with energy and weight maintenance/loss. Have had success with them before but funds were tight for a bit.

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
AcidJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
That's what I live by, too. But I read the 4 Hour Body and he decided to test this theory by implanting a blood sensor and measuring when nutrients got to his bloodstream. What he found was that it took much longer than expected, enough so to argue for taking your protein shake right before working out, that way the protein was in the bloodstream right when your body needed it. I still take my protein shake after working out, but it's something to think about.
I read that too, but it's just not practical to ingest protein before or during a workout. I tried drinking a Whey protein shake before hockey and I felt like I was going to hurl the whole time.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
alatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBerts View Post
Gatorades and Powerades are full of crap - the biggest winner is the dentist who will wipe the sugar coating off your teeth after repeated use.

After a workout/game you want a nice dose of electrolytes. The healthiest will be coconut water (or water) and take a teaspoon of sea salt to replenish what you lost. That is the quickest way to replenish. Afterwards eat something with 10-20g of protein. If you can go to an organic food store and pickup a protein cookie with hemp/chia/flax you will be better off. I make my own cookies with natural ingredients and eat one in the changeroom while the guys are downing 2 or 3 beer before lagging their pot bellies into the shower.

For the guys who like to drink coffee for the caffeine boost, remember coffee is a diuretic, meaning it will drain you of bodily liquids. If you only drink coffee, you'll notice later that you may have to pee moreso than if you only had water. Make sure you drink a glass of water before drinking a cup of coffee to diminish the effect of drying out your body.

This man speaks wisdom.

alatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:56 PM
blueNwhite89

a spliff before and a spliff after usually does it for me

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:44 PM
AcidJazz

Has anyone ever tried hemp protein shakes? I want to get away from whey as it can't be good on my digestive system long term.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
RJK

https://www.onnit.com/shroomtech-spo...FQ45nAodY3QARg

i take this stuff called shroomtech sport from onnit.com...has some chinese mushroom in it that helps the way the body processes oxygen to blood. take 4 before a practice or game and it's a noticeable stamina boost that isn't stimulant based

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote