HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-14-2013, 02:49 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 500
Thanks For Everything Gomez!

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If someone valued playing the sport more than the money ofcourse they would. He isn't going to turn down the cash because he knows he will never make it again.

Nothing is stopping him from trying to get another contract except his own greed.
I don't want to bicker here but none of us really know if Gomez is greedy... but it seems like many of us seem to know that Gomez give and gives and gives... Greedy people don't give the way Gomez does.

And it's still early...maybe a team will want Gomez team with an injury to their center) and offer 1/2 of what he's making if he cancels his contract with the Habs...it could happen.
Anyways...I bet you that 90%+ of us here would take the money.
Then again...if I already made lots of millions from previous years I'd opt for 1/2 if a team would offer that! but easy for me to say this!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:16 AM
Cyclones Rock

With the reality of the shrinking cap and the need to sign Subban, there really wasn't any other viable option.

It would also figure that Bergevin would rather not be saddled with the ongoing melodrama surrounding Gomez. Most new managers would rather not be burdened with the problems of his predecessor if it all possible.

Also, Gomez played 11 games with the ECHL Alaska Aces this season and I would be shocked if the Canadiens management didn't have a scouting presence at a number of these games to assess whether or not Gomez had exhibited sufficient improvement in his game to justify going forward with him on the roster.

All things considered, it seems like the decision was a fairly easy one from a hockey and financial perspective.

Many of us are going to need to find a new whipping boy

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:24 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The Habs are waiving him. Then assigning him to the minors but telling him to stay home and get paid without risking injury.

Because he is waived, he is not holding a spot on the 23-man roster. We do have to pay another player, say around $600,000, to be the 13th or 14th forward, but we get to save $900k of Gomez' hit. And the buyout will only cost $3M when they finally do it.

To answer the other question someone brought up, no, if we had put him in the minors last year, it would not have made a difference this year or next.
Would you still rather pay Gomez this money over Kovalchuk

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:29 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
you make it sound like we had a Bobby Orr in the making or something. From what I remember most people were happy that we got the "best" player in the trade at that time. I will say it again. Nobody knew how McD would turn out. You make it sound like he was already in the NHL dominating. Every GM makes bad moves this one just turned out horrible just like the sharks trade when we got Paches and Gorges. It goes both ways you win trades you lose trades now get over it. This was how long ago?
There were a few here supporting the trades. The ones that support everything, but the overwhelming sense was we got hosed.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If gomez wants to play he can void his contract and find a new team, I have no sympathy for someone who knows they are not worth the cash but will not walk away from it.
He can't walk away from it and play in the NHL. That's not permitted.

The Habs have also pretty much confirmed that Gomez will not be suspended if he doesn't report to the AHL. The KHL is not supposed to sign players that are under NHL contracts.

That leaves Gomez in the undignified situation of having to sit around and cash his large cheques until summer, when a really large cheque comes.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:14 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
There were a few here supporting the trades. The ones that support everything, but the overwhelming sense was we got hosed.
There were also those who exaggerated the other way. For example, not criticizing the McDonagh inclusion but thinking that Gomez for Higgins was a loss. And that is ridiculous. Higgins was one year away from UFA. So basically during that one year, we got a 59 point season out of Gomez, second highest on the team, and a good playoff from him. Higgins crapped his pants that year as he was still not in playing shape, let's say. Anything Higgins has done since is irrelevant, as we were losing him to UFA.

Also, though obviously not as good as McDonagh right now, Tom Pyatt has turned out to be a bonafide NHL player that unfortunately the idiots Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin soured on after he came out looking bad in a fight against a savage wielding an elbow pad while holding Colin Campbell in his pocket. Pyatt is now a legitimate third line player that can shut down opponents, make almost no mistakes, and with 12 goals last year, even put up some decent offence, as I knew he would once he had a couple of seasons in the league (he was a high scorer in Junior, and played on TWO Team Canada Junior Gold medal teams). Nokelainen and Blunden are NOT better than Pyatt. Not even together. Don't just take my word for it, Tampa Bay gave Pyatt a two-year, one-way contract as a reward for his good play. Losing Pyatt for nothing did not help Gauthier salvage at least something from the trade.

So after three years, what remains is McDonagh for nothing. Ugh.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Just out of curiosity, doesn't the new CBA allow trades in which the trading team still assumes partial salary? So the Habs could have shopped Gomez for $3 mil to someone, picked up the other $3.4 or so, and paid Gomez less money over all. Not sure who can trigger the buyout then, but interesting to think about. Might save money long-term for ownership and let Gomez live out the rest of his days frolicking with other mediocre players on a team trying to hit the cap floor and looking for some cheap leadership.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Glad as hell he's gone, but it's a shame it had to be this way. He seems like a genuinely sweet dude and such a refreshing figure from the knob-heads of the previous generation who let the skanks at Buona and Globe get to their heads. Higgins, Komi, the Kostitsyns, Souray, even Kovy and Koivu enjoyed the Caligula lifestyle a bit too much here. If only Gomer's play was a bit better, a bit more representative of his talent.

That said, Gio is the only Mouseketeer left and should be really looking over his shoulders, his mediocre production and presence won't be rewarded with another fat contract.
Only a matter of time. Compared to Cammy and Gomez he is pretty combative, still he's old and small, I don't see him lasting long. I think he'll be UFA in the summer of 2014 anyway.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
chris96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Not every player who gets cut from his (or her) team in every sport gets a message board with hundreds of comments from fans of his team celebrating a legalistic end to the career of a player who never seemed to do anything but play hard, if futilely, for the team they support. I can't find it within myself to hate any Hab- but Gomez wouldn't even come close to a list of potential candidates. I'll always remember Gomez as the first guy in Chara's face after THE hit. I'll remember him for the 2009-2010 season. I'll remember him for not scoring for a whole frustrating ******* year. But I refuse to celebrate this rather ****** end to his time with the Habs. Am I happy for cap space in a year? Sure. Do I wish we had McDonagh? Sure. But do I celebrate this crappy end to the career of a player who seems as genuinely likable as any player I've ever seen in the NHL? No ****ing way.

Great post! Wish more people felt this way.

chris96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Not every player who gets cut from his (or her) team in every sport gets a message board with hundreds of comments from fans of his team celebrating a legalistic end to the career of a player who never seemed to do anything but play hard, if futilely, for the team they support. I can't find it within myself to hate any Hab- but Gomez wouldn't even come close to a list of potential candidates. I'll always remember Gomez as the first guy in Chara's face after THE hit. I'll remember him for the 2009-2010 season. I'll remember him for not scoring for a whole frustrating ******* year. But I refuse to celebrate this rather ****** end to his time with the Habs. Am I happy for cap space in a year? Sure. Do I wish we had McDonagh? Sure. But do I celebrate this crappy end to the career of a player who seems as genuinely likable as any player I've ever seen in the NHL? No ****ing way.
Good perspective. Curious, are you born in 1987?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Thanks For Everything Gomez!

The only goal he scored as a Hab in 200 games!

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I don't dislike Scott Gomez the person and I can tolerate Scott Gomez the player. It's Scott Gomez, the cap space destroyer that I dislike. It's like anything in real life. A trio at a fast food place is okay for 5-10$ but for 100-200$ I'm staying far away.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Good perspective. Curious, are you born in 1987?
1988. Ha, why?

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHLPA has been in contact with the NHL and we are currently reviewing the decision by the Canadiens to ask Scott Gomez to stay home.

lol okay...

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
NHLPA has been in contact with the NHL and we are currently reviewing the decision by the Canadiens to ask Scott Gomez to stay home.

lol okay...
Yeah like that's going to work after holding out for 34 games and for one of the 3 teams making serious money. I hope they tell the PA to ****!

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

lol okay...
It would be even worse for him to come back, sit on the AHL buses, and never playing. Although he'd probably go home after a week or two and we could suspend him.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

lol okay...

Ok.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:

lol okay...
from what they said on hockeycentral, Montreal has the right to not play him and pay him but they felt he should be allowed to at least skate/practice somewere and so he can keep in shape for the next season

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
from what they said on hockeycentral, Montreal has the right to not play him and pay him but they felt he should be allowed to at least skate/practice somewere and so he can keep in shape for the next season
He could build his own rink and practice home in Alaska.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Jacques Martin talking about Gomez, says he was a distraction in the dressroom. Interesting.

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens...artin-14012013

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Jacques Martin talking about Gomez, says he was a distraction in the dressroom. Interesting.

Martin should have taken himself out sooner also.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post

I think Martin is referring to the fact that Gomez is a distraction in general because of the contract, i.e., that it causes distraction with people blaming him etc etc.

Martin said the same thing on AC after he was fired, namely, that if he could do things differently, he would have benched Gomez and that it wasn't of the mistakes he made as a coach.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
He should be able to do whatever he wants.....but the Habs should still be able to buy him out even if he injures himself in the process.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

If the PA forces him back on the team, I'd send him down to the ECHL.

There, he won't be playing any games, and he will be instructed to sit on the bench for practice. This way, he will not be getting injured.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote