HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
How so? Why would Avs sign him then trade him in the offseason?
So they can get the right deal for him.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:43 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
How so? Why would Avs sign him then trade him in the offseason?
because it's happened a few times before. I hope we dont trade ROR it sounds like alot of people here are blaming ROR

Old
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
So they can get the right deal for him.
But why would they want to trade him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
because it's happened a few times before. I hope we dont trade ROR it sounds like alot of people here are blaming ROR
I consider it business than who's to blame. We keep hearing that ROR wants more years, then we hear that he wants more money. I can't tell which one it is, but I know Avs definitely want to sign him to a contract where he is still retains his RFA status. Maybe because they're afraid he wants to move when he becomes UFA, but that doesn't really seem like the ROR we know. Avs will always have the upper hand in these situations and if his agent wants to play hardball, he can finish his season in Russia. That is how I see it, but a big question I have is he eligible for arbitration?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
is he eligible for arbitration?
Good question.

The team might want to take him but I don't think he wants, cause an RFA usually won't get a long contract from the arbitrageur(?)

Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Good question.

The team might want to take him but I don't think he wants, cause an RFA usually won't get a long contract from the arbitrageur(?)
Arbitrator

Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Arbitrator
Of course, arbitrageur is someone who takes advantage of "incorrect" market prices.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Some of you are criminally overrating Oreilly in here. If we got Kulikov or Yandle for Oreilly those would be fantastic deals for us.

Oreillys only had 1 good season, and that by chance happened to be when he played with Landeskog. Not to say it wasn't a joint effort, but at this point Oreilly doesn't have close to the value some of you seem to think he has.

If we have to trade him, Yandle or Kulikov are what we'd get, or if we added A LOT maybe OEL(Though highly unlikely he ever gets moved).

Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
But why would they want to trade him?

I consider it business than who's to blame. We keep hearing that ROR wants more years, then we hear that he wants more money. I can't tell which one it is, but I know Avs definitely want to sign him to a contract where he is still retains his RFA status. Maybe because they're afraid he wants to move when he becomes UFA, but that doesn't really seem like the ROR we know. Avs will always have the upper hand in these situations and if his agent wants to play hardball, he can finish his season in Russia. That is how I see it, but a big question I have is he eligible for arbitration?
My question is now: How well do we really know this guy or how well did we think we knew this guy??

- Summer long contract negotiations
- 2 Year contract in Russia with out clause only if Avs beat $$$ on contract [possibly putting the team in a tough spot??]
- Lockout ends, still in a contract dispute
- Changes his number to a 'more flashy' 90 instead of the old 37 (I guess that's debatable but I don't get it...sounds like somebody is starting to believe his own press)
- All those 'extra' hours running up and down stairs, working out feverishly [that was covered by Dater, incidentally] was that for real or all for show?
- Was he pissed off when he wasn't named captain instead of Landeskog?

Last season, the Avs gave this player the ideal conditions for him to blossom and be successful. To his credit, he took full advantage but in most people's opinion to be pulling this sort of stunt after only one very good offensive season TRULY shows his REAL character.

Surely the ultimate team guy and character player we were led to believe he was, would want to be back on the ice with the rest of his teammates by now, wouldn't he? Or is he really only looking out for himself here?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Some of you are criminally overrating Oreilly in here. If we got Kulikov or Yandle for Oreilly those would be fantastic deals for us.

Oreillys only had 1 good season, and that by chance happened to be when he played with Landeskog. Not to say it wasn't a joint effort, but at this point Oreilly doesn't have close to the value some of you seem to think he has.

If we have to trade him, Yandle or Kulikov are what we'd get, or if we added A LOT maybe OEL(Though highly unlikely he ever gets moved).
I would add my left nut to get OEL.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

If by 1 good season you mean 1 season where he has put up a lot of points then yes he has had 1 good season.

I would like to think he has had 1 good offensive season and 3 great defensive seasons.

The guy beat out Datsyuk in takeaways and he's only 21.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
My question is now: How well do we really know this guy or how well did we think we knew this guy??

- 2 Year contract in Russia with out clause only if Avs beat $$$ on contract [possibly putting the team in a tough spot??]
- Changes his number to a 'more flashy' 90 instead of the old 37 (I guess that's debatable but I don't get it...sounds like somebody is starting to believe his own press)
- All those 'extra' hours running up and down stairs, working out feverishly [that was covered by Dater, incidentally] was that for real or all for show?

Last season, the Avs gave this player the ideal conditions for him to blossom and be successful. To his credit, he took full advantage but in most people's opinion to be pulling this sort of stunt after only one very good offensive season TRULY shows his REAL character.

Surely the ultimate team guy and character player we were led to believe he was, would want to be back on the ice with the rest of his teammates by now, wouldn't he? Or is he really only looking out for himself here?
Really?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:

I believe I heard/read somewhere that the # change was really just about him wearing #9 or #19 through his junior career, and obviously both of those were taken already. He was assigned #37 in training camp and decided that he wanted to go with a number that had 9 in it.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
There is no reason to think O'Reilly is anything but a good guy. It should be evident from how his coaches and team mates speak about him.

Stop reading stuff into what is a business negotiation. If a couple a years from now it turns out he hurt himself and Avs in these negotiations, you might make the case for him screwing up.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
kento19
@kento19

He's probably the classiest NHL hockey player I have ever met.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
If by 1 good season you mean 1 season where he has put up a lot of points then yes he has had 1 good season.

I would like to think he has had 1 good offensive season and 3 great defensive seasons.

The guy beat out Datsyuk in takeaways and he's only 21.
Nobody gives up big ransoms for #3Cs. ROR has high value because he has some offensive talent (enough to be a high grade #2) to go along with world class defensive skills. If ROR didn't have that offensive talent he would be worth the same as Hanzal.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

No doubt in my mind that ROR is a great team player and always one of the hardest working players on the team. None of that means that he doesn't want to maximize his value. He is well within his rights to do this, just like management's reaction to it is well within their rights.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
He's probably the classiest NHL hockey player I have ever met.
Who's still capable of putting an unreasonably high priority on money, and making a young mistake to dig in rather than compromise.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen here. Yes, O'Reilly's actions were all just an act and now his true side is coming out. This whole contract situation has much more to do with Don Meehan than O'Reilly, I can't believe people are coming up with such outlandish remarks to try to hurt a players reputation. (most of the still unsigned RFAs are represented my Meehan).

Old
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen here. Yes, O'Reilly's actions were all just an act and now his true side is coming out. This whole contract situation has much more to do with Don Meehan than O'Reilly, I can't believe people are coming up with such outlandish remarks to try to hurt a players reputation. (most of the still unsigned RFAs are represented my Meehan).
I'd agree with this IF he hadnt signed a 2 year deal in the KHL where he added a minimum salary stipulation.

For me, signing a 2 year deal in the KHL prior to the season being cancelled is just a big no no.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Foppa2118

If O'Reilly is traded, the Avs instantly go back to a traditional two line team, and that changes everything in terms of their future direction. Stastny becomes a priority to keep, and both he and Duchene get more ice time, and PK time. They are leaned on more heavily.

This I think will help Staz get back to a PPG pace, but it really becomes a test for Duchene. This is where he will finally prove whether he's a top level threat, or just a talented but inconsistent forward.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I'd agree with this IF he hadnt signed a 2 year deal in the KHL where he added a minimum salary stipulation.

For me, signing a 2 year deal in the KHL prior to the season being cancelled is just a big no no.
Why? He was free to sign anywhere he wanted during the lockout. Additionally his two year deal has an out clause.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Why? He was free to sign anywhere he wanted during the lockout. Additionally his two year deal has an out clause.
It's some of the wording in that out-clause that makes it suspect...

...the idea that it has to be a more lucrative contract from the Avs for him to be released...

Old
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Was he pissed off when he wasn't named captain instead of Landeskog?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
The mere mention that Colorado has to pay AT LEAST what his KHL deal is is whats the problem.

He's basically telling the avs the minimum hes willing to accept, regardless of what their offers are.

The 2 year deal is not a problem without the salary stipulation.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
The mere mention that Colorado has to pay AT LEAST what his KHL deal is is whats the problem.

He's basically telling the avs the minimum hes willing to accept, regardless of what their offers are.

The 2 year deal is not a problem without the salary stipulation.
And that salary stipulations is rumored to be 2 years 10m. The out states that his NHL compensation has to pay more, it is unknown that if a 3 year 11-12m deal would allow the Russian deal to be broken at this point.

Closed Thread