HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Kickpoint: High vs Low

Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Stick Kickpoint: High vs Low

Interesting tidbit from a Base hockey video.

Ronning says the big difference between the high and low kickpoint sticks is that the high kickpoint is better when you have your bottom hand higher, the low kickpoint when you have your bottom hand lower.

At one point he says if you get the bottom hand too low, you're in/past the kickpoint and lose more power. And the side by side comparisons of the two sticks show that there's a bigger difference between high and low kick sticks with slappers vs wrist shots.

Oddly enough, when mid kick sticks started gaining popularity (again) with the One95, most people seemed to like them a lot more for slappers rather than snappers.

I know when I first tried mid kick sticks, I wasn't a fan, as it seemed I was losing some power on my shots. But when I started using more high end sticks and comparing low vs mid kick, I started to prefer the feel of the flex of a mid kick since I keep my hands closer together.

What's your preference in high vs low kick, and do you keep your hands close while shooting or far apart?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

I had a low kick before that was great for slapshots, now I am using a mid that I find amazing for snappers/wristshots. Go figure.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
TieClark

I disagree with looking at it from that point of view. Low kick points allows for a far quicker loading time for those quick snap and wrist shots where as a higher kick point (mid kick is what I'm thinking) allows for the stick to really build up and then release for those big clappers. Not to mention your hand positions change all the time during the game and while you may like to hold it a certain way you don't always get that grip when the puck happens to come to your stick in the slot.

I currently have a N12 (low kick) and an AI9 (mid kick). I use the N12 because I had it first and I love it but I have noticed a lack on power on my slap shots while my wrist shot feels great.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
rbarker26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I disagree with looking at it from that point of view. Low kick points allows for a far quicker loading time for those quick snap and wrist shots where as a higher kick point (mid kick is what I'm thinking) allows for the stick to really build up and then release for those big clappers. Not to mention your hand positions change all the time during the game and while you may like to hold it a certain way you don't always get that grip when the puck happens to come to your stick in the slot.

I currently have a N12 (low kick) and an AI9 (mid kick). I use the N12 because I had it first and I love it but I have noticed a lack on power on my slap shots while my wrist shot feels great.
I agree with this. During a game, your bottom hand constantly changes places on the stick (at least mine does). I used to have an Easton s19 (low kick) and it was great for wrist and snap shots. But now I use a totalone (mid kick) and its great for slap shots, and I feel like it's just as good, if not better, than the s19 on quick wrist shots

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
r3cc0s

depends on the blade and the role...

open toe, I must have a mid kick point else with a low elliptical style Stealth, even a sakic for me ends up over the crossbar

with a neutral Iginla or Cammi/Zetteberg curve, anything works, and I do admit, there is more "snap" and action to my wristers with a low kick point, but still perfer a mid or neutral kickpoint

the synergy/Mako kickpoint and Total one's are what I enjoy most, but I admit that I've scored a buncha top corners in the dirty area's where I think the kickpoint gave me that much more action

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a good point. With very low kick sticks the more I try to load them, the less effective they seem to be. If I do a quick "snap" strike behind the puck it's more effective, but that's so unnatural to me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote