HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

UPDATE: Coyotes Looking For 2nd Line Center. Rumored To Be Toronto's Matt Lombardi

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 01:41 AM
  #251
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
Marlo Stanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,670
vCash: 50
Surprised no one mentioned Nashville. Wilson or Watson+ for Gormley.

Marlo Stanfield is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:02 AM
  #252
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
True. Gormley is completely unproven as a pro. ROR is not without mystery, himself, however. What comes after 26, 26, and 55? I do understand ROR is much more than just points. That said, there is a huge difference in the value of an elite defensive center who puts up 26pts a year and makes 4.5m a year (basically no trade value) and an elite defensive center who puts up 55pts a year and makes 4.5m a year (Jordan Staal trade value). The points do matter.
I doubt he will ever reach anything around 26 points again. He entered the league as an 18 year old 2nd round draft pick. Playing well defensively, putting up 26 points, while playing 3rd/4th line minutes is very impressive. He then followed that up with a similiar season in a similar role. The most impressive thing was seeing consistency from him. Then last year, in a top 6 role with top 6 linemates, he put up 55 points. People who bring up O'Reilly's 26 point seasons always confuse me. He entered the league as an 18 year old, put up 26 points, and has only improved since then. I highly doubt he will regress back to that.

Avs44 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:34 AM
  #253
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
Yandle loves the Bruins, he's a local guy and practices with Bruins players in off season and during the lockout. Seems like a good fit...I would be sad to see Krejci go but the value is there, Krejci is a gifted offensive weapon who can easily be a 1/2 centre and put up 60-70 pts annually

http://nesn.com/2012/09/report-keith...or-the-bruins/
Here's an article for you. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...x-coyotes.html

...and Crosby was down here playing with Doan and Co, so should I assume that he would love to be on the Coyotes?

DesertDawg is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:19 AM
  #254
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,466
vCash: 50
Connolly/Lombardi for a late pick?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:15 AM
  #255
Sharppi
Nothing to see here
 
Sharppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
I will offer you the magical Matt Cullen, if you can get him to waive his ntc. Just give us a servicable Dman and we're good.

Sharppi is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:32 AM
  #256
kingbrutis
Registered User
 
kingbrutis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but what about Kessel for Yandle? Seems most Leafs fans are worried about him re signing. Yandle has a great contract and the Coyotes get scoring. Does this make sense for both sides?

kingbrutis is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:44 AM
  #257
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Maybe that would be a huge deal if POINTS were the only thing this guy brings to the table but it's so much more than that.

Also, I'm quite certain you know that World JUNIOR and the MEM CUP are still junior ranks and there is nothing that guarantees that a junior player's game will translate to the pros. Junior is STILL junior hockey. Take it from a guy who saw Bryan Fogarty break Bobby Orr's OHL record for points LIVE.
Fogarty's issues related to alcohol. Tragic story.

hbk is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:28 AM
  #258
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but what about Kessel for Yandle? Seems most Leafs fans are worried about him re signing. Yandle has a great contract and the Coyotes get scoring. Does this make sense for both sides?
PMD is our strong point, Phaneuf, Rielly, and Gardiner to build around. The value is probably pretty close to fair. I'd probably want to expand the trade to try and squeeze Visentin out of Phoenix tho

Also, if Toronto made this trade and had Phaneuf, Yandle, Rielly, and Gardiner, I would then be interested in flipping any of them except Rielly to try and get a top C or top C prospect.

416Leafer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
  #259
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Fogarty's issues related to alcohol. Tragic story.
I know all about his story, trust me, Nordiques fan here.

It just goes further to show that you can certainly have a prospect that looks like a world beater in junior hockey but you just don't know what's going to happen at the NHL level and that even the very best prospects still come with a certain amount of risk. Whether the prospect's skill doesn't translate to the NHL level, the guy has issues with drugs/alcohol or he decides he wants to be a rock star instead and quits, the end result is still the same for team giving up a proven asset for that prospect.

Bender is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
  #260
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Most of the proposals on here have missed the original point made by Maloney. He's after a center. The O'Reilly proposals arent off the wall but Im assuming he's after a more proven player. The one team who stands out to me, that fits this? Detroit.

A Filppula/Yandle trade makes the most sense. What else Detroit might have to add, I can only speculate. Some people are extremely high on Fillpula and others simply just dont watch him play. Maloney's no fool. Fillpula would be a tremendous acquisition in Phoenix. Under normal circumstance, I'm not sure I'd deal away Yandle but the Coyotes have plenty of options on D in the near future so it's a gamble I'd take.

Filppula/Sproul/Pulkinen

Yandle/Werek

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  #261
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Gormley and another asset or two for Ryan O'Reilly is a flame worthy asset? Honest question; did you happen to catch the World Juniors last year, or the last Memorial Cup?

Anyway, here's my reservation with ROR; Joe Sacco versus Dave Tippett. They are basically polar opposite coaches. Look at Peter Mueller for an example. O'Reilly broke out in a huge way last season and is still pretty young, so it would make sense to assume is production will continue to increase. Take him off that squad and out of that system, put him in Phoenix, with the Coyotes, under Tippett and I think you may see a dip.
Sacco had the avs playing a very Phoenix like style last year, and the change came primarily because the avs replaced all of their small offensive defensemen like Shattenkirk, Liles, Cumiskey and Hunwick for big stay at home types like Hejda, O'Byrne and O'Brien. So the team's style changed drastically. For all his stupidity, Sacco has shown he'll adapt to what he's given, and last year that was a gritty team who struggled for goals. Mueller broke out before the change, O'Reilly only after.

That's why I'm confident if he did get traded to Phoenix Radar would continue flourish and grow. He's kinda made to excel for Tippett. Losing Lando would hurt, but as awesome as Gabe is, and he is really awesome, he was still a rookie who didn't start really sniping any goals until the second half of the season, and Radar also spent most of the season with Daniel Winnik, who's a great effort guy and great PKer, but is also where offense and puck possession goes to die.

cgf is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  #262
Alberta Yote
Nice run
 
Alberta Yote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your kitchen
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Most of the proposals on here have missed the original point made by Maloney. He's after a center. The O'Reilly proposals arent off the wall but Im assuming he's after a more proven player. The one team who stands out to me, that fits this? Detroit.

A Filppula/Yandle trade makes the most sense. What else Detroit might have to add, I can only speculate. Some people are extremely high on Fillpula and others simply just dont watch him play. Maloney's no fool. Fillpula would be a tremendous acquisition in Phoenix. Under normal circumstance, I'm not sure I'd deal away Yandle but the Coyotes have plenty of options on D in the near future so it's a gamble I'd take.

Filppula/Sproul/Pulkinen

Yandle/Werek
This would have been a no from me even without taking into consideration Filppula's upcoming free agency.

Alberta Yote is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
  #263
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,849
vCash: 905
Just to be clear, news did come out that any supposed deal is NOT happening as of right now? That the team that Maloney was speaking to has decided to not make the trade as of right now?

Thanks for any updates.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
  #264
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
This would have been a no from me even without taking into consideration Filppula's upcoming free agency.
It's tough to find another willing trade partner a week before the season that makes any sense. Colorado would be very short sighted trading O'Reilly right now. The Leafs arent going to move Kessel. Maybe something can get done with Philly but I would have to think Schenn would have to be that player. In Filppula, they'd get a complete, proven NHL player who plays in all situations and has come into his own putting points on the sheet. The UFA part, although not meaningless, is a small issue that can be resolved pretty quickly.

Petes2424 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
  #265
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
It's tough to find another willing trade partner a week before the season that makes any sense. Colorado would be very short sighted trading O'Reilly right now. The Leafs arent going to move Kessel. Maybe something can get done with Philly but I would have to think Schenn would have to be that player. In Filppula, they'd get a complete, proven NHL player who plays in all situations and has come into his own putting points on the sheet. The UFA part, although not meaningless, is a small issue that can be resolved pretty quickly.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for Phoenix to move Yandle for inferior assets simply because there aren't a whole lot of attractive centers available between now and Saturday. That's the epitome of short-sighted. We made it to the WCFs with Daymond Langkow holding down the spot we are now trying to fill. I'm sure a guy like Matthew Lombardi could do so just as well. Heck, I'm sure Gilbert Brule would be happy to come back and keep that spot warm until a better trade option opens up.

rt is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
  #266
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,620
vCash: 500
Bozak? Price would be higher than Connolly or Lombardi. He will become a UFA at the end of the season so the Leafs can't expect an overpayment. Seems to be a good fit, salary and player, with the 'Yotes.
Also I don't believe he is targetting just a center. He was trying to acquire a player who was a center. He is trying to acquire a forward that can help with the offense without being a defensive liability. The Coyotes are set on the left side. Kessel would be nice, but the 'Yotes couldn't give the Leafs the asking price (which I would imagine someone to play on the top line, preferably center). Lupul (also a UFA at the end of the season) would be given a serious consideration too.

DesertDawg is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  #267
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,122
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Bozak? Price would be higher than Connolly or Lombardi. He will become a UFA at the end of the season so the Leafs can't expect an overpayment. Seems to be a good fit, salary and player, with the 'Yotes.
Also I don't believe he is targetting just a center. He was trying to acquire a player who was a center. He is trying to acquire a forward that can help with the offense without being a defensive liability. The Coyotes are set on the left side. Kessel would be nice, but the 'Yotes couldn't give the Leafs the asking price (which I would imagine someone to play on the top line, preferably center). Lupul (also a UFA at the end of the season) would be given a serious consideration too.
Lupul/Bozak and "not defensive liability" don't really go together well.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, they can still be effective players, but I don't think a team like Phoenix would target them, as opposed to say, ROR or something.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:35 AM
  #268
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Sacco had the avs playing a very Phoenix like style last year, and the change came primarily because the avs replaced all of their small offensive defensemen like Shattenkirk, Liles, Cumiskey and Hunwick for big stay at home types like Hejda, O'Byrne and O'Brien. So the team's style changed drastically. For all his stupidity, Sacco has shown he'll adapt to what he's given, and last year that was a gritty team who struggled for goals. Mueller broke out before the change, O'Reilly only after.

That's why I'm confident if he did get traded to Phoenix Radar would continue flourish and grow. He's kinda made to excel for Tippett. Losing Lando would hurt, but as awesome as Gabe is, and he is really awesome, he was still a rookie who didn't start really sniping any goals until the second half of the season, and Radar also spent most of the season with Daniel Winnik, who's a great effort guy and great PKer, but is also where offense and puck possession goes to die.
Thank you for this reply. I've spent some time pilfering through old dead Avs threads and some of the content regarding the drastic changes in the way the Avs go about business on ice have certainly been enlightening, and definitely encouraging about ROR's prospects of success under Dave Tippett (in some crazy hypothetical world in which ROR is actually playing under Tippett).

So, here's the question; is there any conceivable manner in which Phoenix could potentially acquire O'Reilly without moving core roster players critical to our efforts this season? Is there a package that could potentially entice Colorado that consists mostly of futures? Something based around Brandon Gormley with a little extra added in? Maybe Rundblad with more than a little extra added in? I can't really see Colorado going for it. I mean, these are top notch prospects, but as Bender has pointed out, they are just that.

rt is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #269
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Thank you for this reply. I've spent some time pilfering through old dead Avs threads and some of the content regarding the drastic changes in the way the Avs go about business on ice have certainly been enlightening, and definitely encouraging about ROR's prospects of success under Dave Tippett (in some crazy hypothetical world in which ROR is actually playing under Tippett).

So, here's the question; is there any conceivable manner in which Phoenix could potentially acquire O'Reilly without moving core roster players critical to our efforts this season? Is there a package that could potentially entice Colorado that consists mostly of futures? Something based around Brandon Gormley with a little extra added in? Maybe Rundblad with more than a little extra added in? I can't really see Colorado going for it. I mean, these are top notch prospects, but as Bender has pointed out, they are just that.
I'd say no, Yandle would be the piece COL would want. We are trying to compete now so a package of futures wouldn't exactly fit our needs. Both players being spoke of are core 'type' players... What makes Colorado and Phoenix a good fit, is that we both have enough 'core' depth at those positions to make a swap. As well as the swap filling holes that each team currently has.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
  #270
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just to be clear, news did come out that any supposed deal is NOT happening as of right now? That the team that Maloney was speaking to has decided to not make the trade as of right now?

Thanks for any updates.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ound-deal.html

Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney shopping around for deal

Quote:
I would have liked to have it done for the opening of camp, but its not there, Maloney said. It may never be there.

Its still entirely possible this particular deal resurrects itself, and thats why Maloney wont divulge the details on his shopping list, but its clear the Coyotes have an excess of defensemen and a need for scoring.

We would like to improve up front, Maloney said. Thats no secret. To win a championship, you have to be strong through the middle of the ice, and if there was something that falls our way, sure.

RemoAZ is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  #271
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'd say no, Yandle would be the piece COL would want. We are trying to compete now so a package of futures wouldn't exactly fit our needs. Both players being spoke of are core 'type' players... What makes Colorado and Phoenix a good fit, is that we both have enough 'core' depth at those positions to make a swap. As well as the swap filling holes that each team currently has.
Could this change if a few weeks into the season Ryan O'Reilly is still playing for Metallurg Magnitogorsk? A bit like the Kyle Turris situation Phoenix found themselves in last season. Ultimately forced to take the best package on the table, rather than the perfect fit. Does Gormley look more attractive in late February if ROR is still in Asia?

rt is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
  #272
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,455
vCash: 133
Yandle for Filppula + ?

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
  #273
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'd say no, Yandle would be the piece COL would want.
Yandle is signed to a great contract, is a proven commodity and a leader. He is one of the most valuable trading chips being floated on the market right now, and is worth more than Ryan O'Reilly. What do you add if you want Yandle?

I'd imagine the Coyotes would be prepared to offer Chris Brown + Rundblad/Stone and a pick to keep Yandle but get ROR.

XX is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
  #274
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Yandle is signed to a great contract, is a proven commodity and a leader. He is one of the most valuable trading chips being floated on the market right now, and is worth more than Ryan O'Reilly. What do you add if you want Yandle?

I'd imagine the Coyotes would be prepared to offer Chris Brown + Rundblad/Stone and a pick to keep Yandle but get ROR.
that doesn't seem attractive enough package, it would have to be gormley, if we weren't adding for yandle.


Last edited by skip2mybordeleau: 01-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.
skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
  #275
disgruntleddave
Registered User
 
disgruntleddave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 50
Connolly could be had... for the right (any) price...

disgruntleddave is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.