HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Thomas Hickey on waivers. Would anyone here take a chance on him?

A change of environment could maybe get him going.

More:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
More waivers: M Ford, D Syvret (PHI). B Lerg, S Sullivan, B Thomas (COL). P-L Letourneau-Leblond (ANA). T Eckford, H Jessiman, N Lawson (OTT
He isn't an upgrade to anything we have in the system. Elliott and Barrie are both better players. I agree he needs a change of scenery, but here isn't the place.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
BoxOfChocolates

I'd take a chance on Hickey. Wouldn't hurt.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
I'd take a chance on Hickey. Wouldn't hurt.
Out of real curiosity, would you take a chance on Hickey because of the player he is/can be, or just because of his draft position?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Out of real curiosity, would you take a chance on Hickey because of the player he is/can be, or just because of his draft position?
Draft position. He has potential somewhere and honestly couldnt be any worse then Sullivan etc

Old
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

The only reason to take a chance on Hickey is if one of Elliott or Barrie are being traded. In that case, it give the organization some depth and a guy who could potentially become a bottom pairing guy next year. That is honestly all he will ever amount to.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Draft position. He has potential somewhere and honestly couldnt be any worse then Sullivan etc
If you want Hickey for AHL duty, you have to trade for him.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
So we go through months of a lockout, years of not spending because of the CBA, and after all that we have one of the best commodities out on the trade market (O'Reilly) because we can't re-sign him?

That's horse manure. Lost all respect for this organization if that's true.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
So we go through months of a lockout, years of not spending because of the CBA, and after all that we have one of the best commodities out on the trade market (O'Reilly) because we can't re-sign him?

You would rather manangment sign him to a bad contract? Then have us lose out down the road when our core isnt rfa's, and a situation like this we would have no leverage even for a trade. At least if they do it now, there is an option to part ways and get something out of it. They aren't being cheap, they are being cautious and smart.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Hickey wasn't drafted in the 2006 draft...therefore GM Greg Sherman says "NO DICE!"

Old
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The only reason to take a chance on Hickey is if one of Elliott or Barrie are being traded. In that case, it give the organization some depth and a guy who could potentially become a bottom pairing guy next year. That is honestly all he will ever amount to.
If he would develop into a bottom pairing d-man in the NHL then it would obviously be well worth the waivers pick up though.

I'm quite interested in him. Think someone will give him a shoot.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If he would develop into a bottom pairing d-man in the NHL then it would obviously be well worth the waivers pick up though.

I'm quite interested in him. Think someone will give him a shoot.
Islanders will, and he could be a decent #6 and 2 PP sort of player for them.

We have an older more established version of Hickey on the team in Hunwick.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

I'm starting to think that O'Reilly is using this leverage to get himself traded out of Colorado. I think he wants to be somewhere he can be the star, rather than the third line center. At the same time, the Avs could be looking at it as an excuse to help balance the team out by getting a 1st pair defender to go along with EJ. That's just speculation on my part. There just seems to be more than money/years involved here.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I'm starting to think that O'Reilly is using this leverage to get himself traded out of Colorado. I think he wants to be somewhere he can be the star, rather than the third line center. At the same time, the Avs could be looking at it as an excuse to help balance the team out by getting a 1st pair defender to go along with EJ. That's just speculation on my part. There just seems to be more than money/years involved here.
I don't know. I don't think either side is too happy with this situation. They probably both thought they would end up with the deal they wanted.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Very plausible.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Foppa2118

Jumping the gun in lots of ways, and looking ahead to the off season. Possible UFA 3rd line center replacements include Malhotra, Handzus, Zubrus, Cullen, and our friend Tyler Bozak.

Vancouver, SJ, Jersey, and Minny will all likely have some tough decisions cap wise in the summer.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Jumping the gun in lots of ways, and looking ahead to the off season. Possible UFA 3rd line center replacements include Malhotra, Handzus, Zubrus, Cullen, and our friend Tyler Bozak.

Vancouver, SJ, Jersey, and Minny will all likely have some tough decisions cap wise in the summer.
I wouldn't include Malhotra in that list really... Also if we do trade a center and still want to roll three lines capable of offensive production, then we can go after guys like Zajac & Weiss as well. (Obviously would cost more but we have the wingers to make it happen.)

Old
01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I wouldn't include Malhotra in that list really... Also if we do trade a center and still want to roll three lines capable of offensive production, then we can go after guys like Zajac & Weiss as well. (Obviously would cost more but we have the wingers to make it happen.)
Not entirely. I actually think a guy like Bozak would work pretty well on the 3rd line. He has some offensive upside and is still a decent 2 way guy for the 3rd line.

I'd actually be interested in Bozak if Oreilly was traded, the problem is Leafs fans wont plan on giving him up unless one of you know who is coming back in the deal.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Good point there. It's entirely possible.

I don't think O'Reilly's a bad contract, unless you're paying him first line center money. And if that's the case for his holdout, he's going to be sitting a while.

I can't blame for O'Reilly wanting to leave though. This is a salary floor team that doesn't seem to want to pull the trigger on anything big. The same reasons O'Reilly would probably want to leave are the same reasons they won't sign him to a big deal. Just completely 100% afraid of commitment and we always have to wait for "next year". Been waiting for about 3-4 years now, and not much has happened. We've tanked it to get into the top 10 of the draft, and then we developed into a bottom seed playoff team. I've always been confused to exactly where the hell this team is going, so I can't blame ROR for it.

So what if we become pressed for cap space? There's still 29 other teams out there that will take value and give you value. Last time I checked, Chicago finished ahead of us in the standings. People act like they imploded or something.

The Avalanche marketing dept sure isn't very good, but the leaders at the top and the media have really done an adept job at scaring the fanbase and maybe even themselves of doing anything that would trigger a cup run. I think Pierre's ever living legacy will be that he lucked into that Lindros trade. Without it he really hasn't built a lot, and I honestly feel like he's gotten complacent. If this team turns around I think it's gonna have to be on Sakic, who hopefully has fire enough in his belly to prove he can be a capable exec in this league.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
For the money weiss will get he needs more talented wingers, than downey and hejduk to be as effective as he was last year. Those numbers are from playing with flash and versteeg for a whole year. Just think there are cheaper options for the output hed have on this team. Lol and no Bozak just out of principle.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Not entirely. I actually think a guy like Bozak would work pretty well on the 3rd line. He has some offensive upside and is still a decent 2 way guy for the 3rd line.

I'd actually be interested in Bozak if Oreilly was traded, the problem is Leafs fans wont plan on giving him up unless one of you know who is coming back in the deal.
Not that I'm pushing for Bozak but he's a UFA at the end of the year. I wasn't proposing trading for him. I don't think it makes sense to bring in a D with Oreilly and then burn more assets in a separate deal to replace him.

Pure speculation but I really wonder if that supposed Phoenix deal was something like O'Reilly and Elliott for Hanzal and Gormley. Both upgrades at the position they need, and helps replace the other guy. Phoenix and Colorado love doing these 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 type deals.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
dsheehan73

A little perspective here...

Only 1 of the 4 or 5 markee unsigned restricted free agents has signed a contract (Del Zotto). I wouldn't read into the lack of signing as he's going to get traded. Point is other teams are dealing w/ this as well and believe his agent also represents at least two other unsigned RFAs....may just be tactics/strategy on their part.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheehan73 View Post
Only 1 of the 4 or 5 markee unsigned restricted free agents has signed a contract (Del Zotto). I wouldn't read into the lack of signing as he's going to get traded. Point is other teams are dealing w/ this as well and believe his agent also represents at least two other unsigned RFAs....may just be tactics/strategy on their part.
no doubt its a strategy, we are just basing how we feel off of how historically the avs deal with contract hold outs.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Not that I'm pushing for Bozak but he's a UFA at the end of the year. I wasn't proposing trading for him. I don't think it makes sense to bring in a D with Oreilly and then burn more assets in a separate deal to replace him.

Pure speculation but I really wonder if that supposed Phoenix deal was something like O'Reilly and Elliott for Hanzal and Gormley. Both upgrades at the position they need, and helps replace the other guy. Phoenix and Colorado love doing these 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 type deals.
Well it could have also been O'Reilly + + (Barrie + Sgarbossa/Olver?) for Yandle + Gordon, but about the time the trade went south was when it was announced that Gordon was hurt.

I don't personally think Colorado would make that trade. (O'Reilly + Elliott for Hanzal + Gormley) Yeah we have a better 'chance' of Gormley turning into a #1/#2 D but he is no where near close to being ready for that. Too big of a question mark IMO... At least in a trade involving O'Reilly.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheehan73 View Post
Yes, but O'Reilly is the only one with a contract outside of their NHL ones.

No other player is currently playing for another team while they settle their contract issues except for O'Reilly, who not only has a deal, but a 2 year deal, AND one where he must be paid AT LEAST the same amount in order to come back to the NHL.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
PAZ

Management doesn't want to lose O'Reilly, or else they would've made sure we signed McClement for sure.

Honestly, I thought we were one of the deepest down center last year. If we lose Radar, not even close.

Closed Thread