HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
  #526
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Too early to say this IMO considering Plekanec isn't skating with the group and Therrien made it clear yesterday he'd try various combinations in the coming days.
True that, it's not a trio set in stone by any means but I'm really glad he gave it a chance from the get go. They don't have the luxury to try too many possibilities considering the blitz nature of the training camp so he will have that out of the way with a strong showing from Galchenyuk.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  #527
HabsPassion
Registered User
 
HabsPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk (without visually seeing him) looks like he should stick with the club of the season.

For those who argue that we burn a year of ELC (and that seems to be the only argument against him at this point) ... His ELC is still at a cap hit of 3.2Million and his development as a player is worth much more than that year of ELC burned.

I would like to hear those who do not want him to stick, and by that I dont wish to hear about any comparisons about how we rushed prospects such as Latendresse, I will not even entertain that comparison as they are no where close in skill level. Edmonton could have saved their ELC on Nudgent-Hopkins, Carolina with Skinner.. Forget the ELC! If he can help the team, he sticks IMO.

HabsPassion is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #528
cap10bfl
Registered User
 
cap10bfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Galchenyuk (without visually seeing him) looks like he should stick with the club of the season.For those who argue that we burn a year of ELC (and that seems to be the only argument against him at this point) ... His ELC is still at a cap hit of 3.2Million and his development as a player is worth much more than that year of ELC burned.

I would like to hear those who do not want him to stick, and by that I dont wish to hear about any comparisons about how we rushed prospects such as Latendresse, I will not even entertain that comparison as they are no where close in skill level. Edmonton could have saved their ELC on Nudgent-Hopkins, Carolina with Skinner.. Forget the ELC! If he can help the team, he sticks IMO.
Amen.

Everything you wrote down is spot on.

cap10bfl is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
  #529
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Galchenyuk (without visually seeing him) looks like he should stick with the club of the season.

For those who argue that we burn a year of ELC (and that seems to be the only argument against him at this point) ... His ELC is still at a cap hit of 3.2Million and his development as a player is worth much more than that year of ELC burned.

I would like to hear those who do not want him to stick, and by that I dont wish to hear about any comparisons about how we rushed prospects such as Latendresse, I will not even entertain that comparison as they are no where close in skill level. Edmonton could have saved their ELC on Nudgent-Hopkins, Carolina with Skinner.. Forget the ELC! If he can help the team, he sticks IMO.
Well, the easy argument is that he only played 8 games last year. And he's going to have played a lot of hockey this year - 33 in Sarnia, 7 at the WJC, the rest with the Habs, plus possibly the playoffs. It's a lot to ask of any player, let alone a player who barely played any hockey last year. You worry about a player wearing himself down, hitting the wall, not being effective, losing confidence, etc.

Anyway I'm just providing an argument, I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on myself. Let's wait and see how he does with the 5 games I think he's guaranteed to get.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
  #530
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Galchenyuk (without visually seeing him) looks like he should stick with the club of the season.

For those who argue that we burn a year of ELC (and that seems to be the only argument against him at this point) ... His ELC is still at a cap hit of 3.2Million and his development as a player is worth much more than that year of ELC burned.

I would like to hear those who do not want him to stick, and by that I dont wish to hear about any comparisons about how we rushed prospects such as Latendresse, I will not even entertain that comparison as they are no where close in skill level. Edmonton could have saved their ELC on Nudgent-Hopkins, Carolina with Skinner.. Forget the ELC! If he can help the team, he sticks IMO.
Well, if you say it like that, of course sending him back in the OHL might seem stupid, but the fact remains that strategically speaking, burning off a year on a shortened season where the Habs have absolutely NO chance to contend is indeed useless. Moreover, it is the perfect scenario to draft the final pieces that will allow us to contend on a yearly basis in the near future, which means we will likely have to deal with a losing environment for this season.

Now, we don't know if Galchenyuk is indeed ready. We'll have to wait until the end of his 5 game trial, after which, if he proves he can succeed in a top 6 role (that means producing at the very least over .5 PPG to me), my opinion might change. Otherwise, I rather send him back in the OHL to finish the year and give him a chance to lead his team in the playoffs, even if the odds to see Sarnia pass the first round are slim right now.

Lebowski is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
  #531
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
Amen.

Everything you wrote down is spot on.
I'm not necessarily for or against it at this point. If I had to pick, I think I'd even prefer he stay.

However, it's also important to note that he loses an entire year of his ELC for half a year of development with the big club.

Also, this is going to be a tough schedule and with the amount of games he's played already with Sarnia, then with the World Juniors, and now with a compressed NHL schedule with grown men, all after having not played at all last year, this could lead to fatigue and/or injury and turn out to be a risky move for him long-term.

I'm not saying send him back, but there are very valid reasons for both sides I think and if anything, I'd say keeping him up has a bigger risk factor associated to it. If we're willing to take the risk though, I'd say having him up with the big club will likely be better for him.

fufonzo is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:49 AM
  #532
HabsPassion
Registered User
 
HabsPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well, the easy argument is that he only played 8 games last year. And he's going to have played a lot of hockey this year - 33 in Sarnia, 7 at the WJC, the rest with the Habs, plus possibly the playoffs. It's a lot to ask of any player, let alone a player who barely played any hockey last year. You worry about a player wearing himself down, hitting the wall, not being effective, losing confidence, etc.

Anyway I'm just providing an argument, I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on myself. Let's wait and see how he does with the 5 games I think he's guaranteed to get.
Exactly what I was hoping in counter-arguements. Thank you for that.
Just wanna point out..
Ryan Nudgent-Hopkins = 106 points in 69 games = 1.53 ppg before entering the NHL
Alex Galchenyuk = 61 points in 33 games = 1.84 ppg this season in Sarnia

So Hopkins at 1.58 points per game was brought up to Edmonton, Therefore assuming he had nothing left to learn. So Galchenyuk who is above in the points per game category has to go back and learn(?) I personally think the Oilers do not regret their decision.

However, above all I do agree that the 5 games is a MUST. If he looks really out of place at that point, then i would consider sending him back to Sarnia.. But the fact of the matter is, the media personnel covering the Sting all mentioned that they would be shocked if Gally returned.

I just feel as though fans are in panic mode, and fear the consequences of bringing Gally back up due to our prior record of rushing. Their hasent been a prospect of Galchenyuk's caliber in a very long time however.


Last edited by HabsPassion: 01-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
HabsPassion is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
  #533
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Galchenyuk (without visually seeing him) looks like he should stick with the club of the season.

For those who argue that we burn a year of ELC (and that seems to be the only argument against him at this point) ... His ELC is still at a cap hit of 3.2Million and his development as a player is worth much more than that year of ELC burned.

I would like to hear those who do not want him to stick, and by that I dont wish to hear about any comparisons about how we rushed prospects such as Latendresse, I will not even entertain that comparison as they are no where close in skill level. Edmonton could have saved their ELC on Nudgent-Hopkins, Carolina with Skinner.. Forget the ELC! If he can help the team, he sticks IMO.
sort of agree... thing is that the "good enough to help the team" measuring stick needs to be set at the top-6 impact player level.

Skinner and RNH both stepped into the lineup and were strong contributors in that role in year one. even with our lack of talent on the wings, and maybe even because of it, i don't know that Gally is ready to come in and be a 60+ pt player right away.

If he's going to stay up, but then get used less than 15-16minutes/game, better he go back to Juniors.
If he's good enough right now to warrant 16+minutes a/game, getting some PP time and some decent linemates, then ok, keep him up.

Bergevin was with the Hawks scouting team when they picked Kane, and was on the coaching staff during his 2nd season (so he would've seen the process/decision making in starting Kane with the right from the draft & how that played out).

Kane was a huge talent, and led the team in scoring in his first season... so if nothing else MB has seen close up that it can work out.

If Gally earns it, I'd bet they won't worry about the ELC issues in deciding to keep him with the team

Miller Time is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
  #534
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If Gally earns it, I'd bet they won't worry about the ELC issues in deciding to keep him with the team
Call me optimistic, but I'm sure he will earn it. So far so good !

Strik_IX is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
  #535
HabsPassion
Registered User
 
HabsPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Can not reply to all, but thanks for all the Input. Glad to hear that most people are not putting as much emphasis on that one year ELC as I believed. I was getting pretty annoyed with that ELC contract arguement. Thanks all!

HabsPassion is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:02 PM
  #536
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Exactly what I was hoping in counter-arguements. Thank you for that.
Just wanna point out..
Ryan Nudgent-Hopkins = 106 points in 69 games = 1.53 ppg before entering the NHL
Alex Galchenyuk = 61 points in 33 games = 1.84 ppg this season in Sarnia

So Hopkins at 1.58 points per game was brought up to Edmonton, Therefore assuming he had nothing left to learn. So Galchenyuk who is above in the points per game category has to go back and learn(?) I personally think the Oilers do not regret their decision.

However, above all I do agree that the 5 games is a MUST. If he looks really out of place at that point, then i would consider sending him back to Sarnia.. But the fact of the matter is, the media personnel covering the Sting all mentioned that they would be shocked if Gally returned.

I just feel as though fans are in panic mode, and fear the consequences of bringing Gally back up due to our prior record of rushing. Their hasent been a prospect of Galchenyuk's caliber in a very long time however.
It's not the points I'm worried about - it's about getting used to playing a lengthy, grinding schedule against the best competition in the world that I'm worried about.

I agree that Galchenyuk would seem to have little left to learn in the OHL, but if he does hit a wall and stop producing and get gassed halfway through the year, I'd rather it happen in Sarnia than in Montreal.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
  #537
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,508
vCash: 597
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/843273/clip/0

Gally acts like it's no big deal. Heh.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
  #538
Carboneer
Registered User
 
Carboneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Question about Gally...

Why did he wear #15 at the world juniors and why is he wearing #27 at camp (when we know that he'll be wearing #94 for the Habs)?

Carboneer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  #539
mbz
Registered User
 
mbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/843273/clip/0

Gally acts like it's no big deal. Heh.
sick hands.. he almost let cole hanging at the end

mbz is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
  #540
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
I kind of want to get a Gally jersey at 50% off this week from the Boutique...27 doesn't feel like a temp number, but I could be wrong.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
  #541
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
Question about Gally...

Why did he wear #15 at the world juniors and why is he wearing #27 at camp (when we know that he'll be wearing #94 for the Habs)?
For the WJC, my hunch is that USA had a "low numbers only" thing going on. If I'm not mistaken, nobody on that team wore a number higher than 30. It's not totally uncommon, the Devils still do it in the NHL I think. It's supposed to deemphasize the individual (because high numbers are seen as unusual or "flashy") and emphasize the team. Again I don't know if that's actually the case, just my feeling.

And for the Habs, rookies don't typically get to pick their numbers in camp. Latendresse was given 84 and stuck with it, Plekanec was given 35 and changed it when he was on the team full-time and it became available, etc. I guess we'll see what Galchenyuk does...I haven't heard any confirmation as to which number he'll officially take.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
  #542
Moneyman2k6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz View Post
sick hands.. he almost let cole hanging at the end
Lol he does let desharnais hanging

Moneyman2k6 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  #543
Carboneer
Registered User
 
Carboneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
For the WJC, my hunch is that USA had a "low numbers only" thing going on. If I'm not mistaken, nobody on that team wore a number higher than 30. It's not totally uncommon, the Devils still do it in the NHL I think. It's supposed to deemphasize the individual (because high numbers are seen as unusual or "flashy") and emphasize the team. Again I don't know if that's actually the case, just my feeling.

And for the Habs, rookies don't typically get to pick their numbers in camp. Latendresse was given 84 and stuck with it, Plekanec was given 35 and changed it when he was on the team full-time and it became available, etc. I guess we'll see what Galchenyuk does...I haven't heard any confirmation as to which number he'll officially take.
thanks... that was my guess for the number in camp, and what you said about team USA makes sense now that I think about it I cant remember any high numbers (but I have a bad memory so I could be wrong lol)

Carboneer is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
  #544
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,105
vCash: 50
MAN, that was such a sweet deke.

Phil Parent is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
  #545
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,508
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post
Lol he does let desharnais hanging
Seems like another avatar:

Desharnais: ''But Gally left me hanging!''

No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I kind of want to get a Gally jersey at 50% off this week from the Boutique...27 doesn't feel like a temp number, but I could be wrong.
Not sure they'd have Galchenyuk jerseys ready anyway...so can you walk in there and customize your own jersey?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
  #546
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
MAN, that was such a sweet deke.
Budaj still has no clue where the puck is ... lol

HomaridII is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
  #547
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz View Post
sick hands.. he almost let cole hanging at the end
He acts like it's no big deal, but in his head he's like "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG "

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
  #548
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Seems like another avatar:

Desharnais: ''But Gally left me hanging!''

No excuses!



Not sure they'd have Galchenyuk jerseys ready anyway...so can you walk in there and customize your own jersey?
You can, I got my vintage (CA) Subban done there last year right before the season started. Took about 2 weeks before it was done and it'S a thing of beauty

Strik_IX is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
  #549
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Wow, what a goal!

I cant stop to watch it in loop

I want more video please, if anyone can upload new stuff about Gally in today practice...


Does anyone know if they will play a scrimmage today?


Last edited by GalHabsGal: 01-14-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fix
GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
  #550
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,105
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
He acts like it's no big deal, but in his head he's like "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG "
Oh yeah, in his head he was jumping up and down giving himself self high fives :-)

You don't hear of any other rookie/AHLer at camp than him. Granted there aren't that many of them but still.

Phil Parent is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.