HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
  #751
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Is Derek Stepan ready for the 2nd line center role? The role he's occupied for 2 seasons now? I hope so.

Thirty One is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
  #752
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Is Derek Stepan ready for the 2nd line center role? The role he's occupied for 2 seasons now? I hope so.
Well, with a 40 goal scorer on one side and a 29 goal scorer on the other side (Gaborik and Callahan), I'd say the Rangers don't really have a 2nd line. Rather a 1A and 1B.

But yeah, I don't disagree with you.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  #753
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Here are some Kreider quotes from Torts
I think that message may resonate a lit louder if there were more than 12 forwards in training camp...

Thirty One is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  #754
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think that message may resonate a lit louder if there were more than 12 forwards in training camp...
Exactly. I wouldnt read too much into that - especially considering Torts would say the same "hes gotta earn it" stuff if he was asked about anyone on the team.

Whats more telling is the "all-around" quote. I cant imagine Torts was happy with Kreider's neutral and defensive zone play in the playoffs, but he had to grin and bare because theres limited time to teach during a cup run. The same mistakes will not be tolerated now - even with the shortened season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  #755
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think that message may resonate a lit louder if there were more than 12 forwards in training camp...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when we saw the lineup at first. You can say he has to earn his spot, but really, who's in the running to take it from him if he doesn't? I think they planned on having Hvirik at camp so that he and CK could battle it out for that spot, but the concussion threw that plan off a bit. I'm really not sure who from CT could come up and take that spot from him, but I suppose there's always the possibility of signing a grinder to take it if it's obvious that CK isn't ready.

haveandare is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
  #756
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when we saw the lineup at first. You can say he has to earn his spot, but really, who's in the running to take it from him if he doesn't? I think they planned on having Hvirik at camp so that he and CK could battle it out for that spot, but the concussion threw that plan off a bit. I'm really not sure who from CT could come up and take that spot from him, but I suppose there's always the possibility of signing a grinder to take it if it's obvious that CK isn't ready.
Another CK could take the spot. Chad Kolarik.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
  #757
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Another CK could take the spot. Chad Kolarik.
Solid point. Hadn't thought of that. Though I have to wonder if him not being in camp puts him at a significant disadvantage.

Personally, I think Kreider will be good enough for third line duty to start and he doesn't seem to have any illusions about having a spot guaranteed for him.

I also think the idea that him being on the third line is a waste is a silly one, not to say that it's an idea you put out there personally, but it's been floating around a bit and it's related to the topic I'm on so I'll put my thoughts on it here. Obviously, every prospect that breaks into the NHL would play best if they were in the best spot on the roster, but it's not practical to start them there. Kreider will likely start on the third line and be asked to prove that he's defensibly responsible enough. Torts knows that third liners aren't there to fill the net. Boyle isn't a scorer yet his spot on the third line isn't in question for the coaching staff (though people on here like to question it). If CK can play solidly on the third and finish the few good chances that he gets there, he'll move on up.

haveandare is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
  #758
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think that message may resonate a lit louder if there were more than 12 forwards in training camp...
Donīt disagree with that. Just posting the quotes - not propogating any which way. I think Kreider will be fine.

BBKers is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
  #759
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Donīt disagree with that. Just posting the quotes - not propogating any which way. I think Kreider will be fine.
Yeah, understood. I took you as nothing but the messenger .

Thirty One is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
  #760
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
I thought Kolarik was invited to TC?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
  #761
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Chad Kolarik will seriously never be an NHLer.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
  #762
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 500
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

MSG Network will have a two-hour special live from NY Rangers practice on Wednesday, starting at 11:00 am.

turcotte8 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
  #763
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I thought Kolarik was invited to TC?
I think the only players that were invited were Gilroy, Kreider and Hrivik.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
  #764
JCrusher*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Donīt disagree with that. Just posting the quotes - not propogating any which way. I think Kreider will be fine.
I understand kreider needs to earn a spot and i like that approach. However i have noticed many fans seem to be down because of the stupid AHL stats. Kreider will be fine in my opinion because of his gifts he has like Torts said and his maturity as a young player

JCrusher* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
  #765
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
I understand kreider needs to earn a spot and i like that approach. However i have noticed many fans seem to be down because of the stupid AHL stats. Kreider will be fine in my opinion because of his gifts he has like Torts said and his maturity as a young player
His gifts should have carried him to some better AHL numbers, period. You cant simply overlook a portion of his development when it doesnt suit your argument.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:04 PM
  #766
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
The Kreider dead-horse beating needs to stop. Did his AHL play leave something to be desired? Clearly. But the NCAA-AHL jump was the biggest he's faced since he went straight from prep to college 3.5 years ago. He took some time to adjust there and it wound up working out fine. Cut the kid some slack, he might be the most coachable player on the roster.

Can't wait for the "trade Kreider" thread in a few weeks.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:26 PM
  #767
JCrusher*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
His gifts should have carried him to some better AHL numbers, period. You cant simply overlook a portion of his development when it doesnt suit your argument.
I never said im wasnt disappointed with his AHL stats but its not we should label him a bust just because he didnt score 20 goals. I mean yes i expected him to score more but can we just see him play a regular season before declaring him a bust.

JCrusher* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:27 PM
  #768
JCrusher*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
The Kreider dead-horse beating needs to stop. Did his AHL play leave something to be desired? Clearly. But the NCAA-AHL jump was the biggest he's faced since he went straight from prep to college 3.5 years ago. He took some time to adjust there and it wound up working out fine. Cut the kid some slack, he might be the most coachable player on the roster.

Can't wait for the "trade Kreider" thread in a few weeks.
I totally agree

JCrusher* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
  #769
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
The Kreider dead-horse beating needs to stop.
Great, now people are comparing him to a dead horse.

Thirty One is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
  #770
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
I never said im wasnt disappointed with his AHL stats but its not we should label him a bust just because he didnt score 20 goals. I mean yes i expected him to score more but can we just see him play a regular season before declaring him a bust.
Ive read through this thread and the Kreider one, and havent seen one person call him a bust.

Since when did some criticism and the tempering of expectations become "hes a bust?"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
  #771
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think that message may resonate a lit louder if there were more than 12 forwards in training camp...
Or maybe planning on having only 13 forwards in training camp (Hvirik was invited) is due to the fact that the coaching staff is already familar with the other options in the organization and doesn't want to disrupt the Whale roster too much.

Kreider is much better off listening to Tortorella, rather than playing the odds.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:12 PM
  #772
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Do people not remember that McDonagh didn't do all that great in the AHL before his callup?

mrhockey193195 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
  #773
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

Can't wait for the "trade Kreider" thread in a few weeks.
Can't wait for the "season's over" thread Sunday night if we go 0-2 on the weekend. lol

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
  #774
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Wondering if there is a way to find out what each player weighed in at this weekend? See who came in prepared and who drank too many beers in the extended offseason.

Lion Hound is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
  #775
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread. Is anyone worried that our D may suffer this year because some of the guys we lost were good defensive guys and people are saying the guys that we replaced them with aren't that great defensively (e.g. Pyatt).

SnowblindNYR is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.