HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 06:12 AM
  #26
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
I'm not giving those ******** any of my money. Will be streaming whatevers not on TV.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:40 AM
  #27
mt99808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
I've used unblockus for a couple years now, first for Netflix and last year I dropped Extra Innings and went to mlb.tv. Worked flawlessly. Was great being able to watch Jays games on my deck in the summer on my ipad. My understanding of the way it works is it only spoofs your IP for the authentication part of the process. After that you are connected directly to the source.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
  #28
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrwin View Post
Now in regards to all of this, I live in Ottawa I know, I know. And I was told if I bought nhl centreice online package or w,e that almost all Toronto games are blacked out?

Being an Ottawa resident what would be the best subscription service, and how do I get around black out games. I've seen the comments about unblockus and vpn but I'm not overly computer savy so I'm not sure what those are/mean!

Thanks for any input!
VPN is a tunneling service. Basically think of it like you are connecting to a server let's say in florida, and all of your connections afterwards no go through that server (tunnel) rather than directly from your local internet provider. So Gamecenter looks at your IP address and comes to the conclusion that you are sitting in Florida and not Ottawa, hence no blackouts.

So let's say you use a VPN service and connect to CTV.ca and you have Rogers cable internet. Without a VPN your connection would be from Rogers to CTV.ca (local and quite quick). With a VPN service your connection goes down to florida and then back up to Canada and back to CTV.ca.

The problem with that is two fold:

1. Difficult to configure for non technical peoople
2. Performance is terrible because you are at the mercy of the VPN connection.

The Unblock-US option is ideal for two reasons:

1. Easy to configure (simply change your DNS server address to the one supplied by unblock-us.com). They even provide a tool to do it for you in windows.
2. No loss in connection performance.


Last edited by Rinzler: 01-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM
  #29
xyzz
Registered User
 
xyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
apparently nhl sent an email out saying it would be $49.99 for this season. Im planning on buying it.

should I use unblock-us for initially creating an account and paying?

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  #30
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unassisted View Post
Yes, this is provided by Neulion, same as GCL. However, the bitrate is slightly lower and the interface is different. The sucky part about the interface is the non-removable scoreboard on top. So you will have a black border (windowboxed) around the broadcast if you watch it full screen on a 16:9 tv/monitor. GCL doesn't have this limitation. rogersondemand was actually forwarding free access to this last year for their cable subscribers. No word yet about this year.

When I had GCL, I would switch IPs to watch the Leafs games and then disconnect the vpn after it started playing.

Either way, both have a full refund policy if you're unsatisfied after a couple of days.
Good points, I had this last season.

Also worth noting that it's not every Leafs game, it's every game that's not nationally broadcasted. So, any games that are national on one of CBC, Sportsnet or TSN won't be broadcasted on LeafsTV Online. I believe last season it translated to around 55~ games. Better than nothing, and the HD feeds were very good quality, but yes the black border/non removable scoreboard was/is a definite nuisance.

I'm also thinking of going the GCL route for this shortened season.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
  #31
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
apparently nhl sent an email out saying it would be $49.99 for this season. Im planning on buying it.

should I use unblock-us for initially creating an account and paying?
Wait, can anyone vet this? 49.99 for the GameCentre Live package?

I see on the website it says $160 for the season, that's GameCentre Live. What's this $49.99 thing?

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
  #32
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Wait, can anyone vet this? 49.99 for the GameCentre Live package?

I see on the website it says $160 for the season, that's GameCentre Live. What's this $49.99 thing?
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...om:gcl:scrsbnv

Website says $50 for me.

Now, who can tell me with 100% accuracy that I will be able to watch Leafs games using GCL + UnblockUs, in glorious HD?

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
  #33
xyzz
Registered User
 
xyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...om:gcl:scrsbnv

Website says $50 for me.

Now, who can tell me with 100% accuracy that I will be able to watch Leafs games using GCL + UnblockUs, in glorious HD?

looking for the same confirmation and wondering if I will get the usual intermission stuff as well (coaches corner, TSN or sportsnet guys etc.)

Also, could someone who uses unblock-us to get these games in Toronto explain exactly how to set this up if possible?

edit: I also see that it asks for address while signing up. Can I use my Toronto address?

thanks!

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
  #34
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
looking for the same confirmation and wondering if I will get the usual intermission stuff as well (coaches corner, TSN or sportsnet guys etc.)

Also, could someone who uses unblock-us to get these games in Toronto explain exactly how to set this up if possible?

thanks!
I use unblockus on my PS3 and AppleTV already with Netflix and MLB.TV - all it is, is an alternate DNS server which you point your existing internet connection to. Works 100% flawlessly every time, and the picture quality is better than I was getting with HD cable.

I just want to know whether or not it works with NHL GCL, thats' all.

And as far as in-between stuff is concerned, at least with MLB.TV the screen goes silent and nothing is shown while on commercial break - I'd assume it's the same with GCL. So no Coaches Corner or TSN/Sportsnet talking heads - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Coaches Corner is uploaded to youtube in about 5 minutes anyway.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
  #35
Donmega
Registered User
 
Donmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
So can anyone answer us on:

1. When you are signing up should you be already connected to usa vpn?
2. When you sign up do you enter your real Toronto address or fake usa address (florida)

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  #36
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
So can anyone answer us on:

1. When you are signing up should you be already connected to usa vpn?
2. When you sign up do you enter your real Toronto address or fake usa address (florida)
I don't think they are that advanced - they would want to check where you are at the moment you're logging in. I was in Vermont last February, and was able to watch 10 minutes of the Leafs game for free there. When I tried the same thing a couple weeks later back in the GTA, blackout.

So I mean if you sign up to watch out-of-market games which is what this is, they actually just want you to watch out-of-market games - it's important to track where you are at any given point in time to make sure this is the case.

Therefore: I don't believe any personal info shenanigans are required.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
  #37
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
I don't have cable, my plan is to install a slingbox at my parents place and stream the games with that.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
  #38
mt99808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
So can anyone answer us on:

1. When you are signing up should you be already connected to usa vpn?
2. When you sign up do you enter your real Toronto address or fake usa address (florida)
Just sign up with your real info. In fact your credit card payment might be refused if you make up a fake address. They are concerned where you are at the time you're logging in.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
  #39
Keeping it Blue
Registered User
 
Keeping it Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
For those of us in BC, it appears we will get 24 of 48 games on here.

14 are HNIC
10 are TSN

I think that's correct, don't shoot me if it's not.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
  #40
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
For those of us in BC, it appears we will get 24 of 48 games on here.

14 are HNIC
10 are TSN

I think that's correct, don't shoot me if it's not.

That means that the LeafsTV Online thing (which was $39.99 last year) is only getting about 55%-60% of Leaf games this year... better to go with GCL in my opinion.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
  #41
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Anyone know if you can sign on with multiple devices at the same time? Thinking of splitting it with a friend.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
  #42
mt99808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Anyone know if you can sign on with multiple devices at the same time? Thinking of splitting it with a friend.
You'll get banned in a heartbeat if you're sharing from different IP's. From my understanding you can't even be signed in with multiple devices from the same IP which is sad because that is one of the best features of mlb.tv.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
  #43
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrwin View Post
Now in regards to all of this, I live in Ottawa I know, I know. And I was told if I bought nhl centreice online package or w,e that almost all Toronto games are blacked out?

Being an Ottawa resident what would be the best subscription service, and how do I get around black out games. I've seen the comments about unblockus and vpn but I'm not overly computer savy so I'm not sure what those are/mean!

Thanks for any input!
All games on TSN and CBC will be blacked out.

__________________
Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
  #44
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Anyone know if you can sign on with multiple devices at the same time? Thinking of splitting it with a friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt99808 View Post
You'll get banned in a heartbeat if you're sharing from different IP's. From my understanding you can't even be signed in with multiple devices from the same IP which is sad because that is one of the best features of mlb.tv.
In same house I can sign onto one device at a time.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
  #45
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
All games on TSN and CBC will be blacked out.
even if you use a vpn? (as in, TSN and CBC games will still be on GCL for people outside the toronto TV market?)

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
  #46
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/
http://www.wiziwig.tv/

And watch every sport for free. My way of saying **** you to NHL for the lockout.
Also, i'm pretty sure most of the games televised on CBC are also streamed live on the cbc site, no? There are honestly tons of options.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
  #47
RtooDtu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/
http://www.wiziwig.tv/

And watch every sport for free. My way of saying **** you to NHL for the lockout.
Also, i'm pretty sure most of the games televised on CBC are also streamed live on the cbc site, no? There are honestly tons of options.
There are a ton of free options with ****** quality streams that you cannot count on.

I remember using Center Ice several years ago and you have to keep in mind the quality will not be as good as watching it on TV. I am not saying it will be terrible but you will notice a difference.

Also you can use GameCenter anywhere in the world. So if you travel this is a great option. If you want to use a VPN you only need to use it when you want to watch a game.

RtooDtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
  #48
unassisted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
even if you use a vpn? (as in, TSN and CBC games will still be on GCL for people outside the toronto TV market?)
Looking at the schedule, 6 of 14 of the CBC games will be blacked out even with a US ip since they're also airing on NHL Network in the US.
I think most people can get CBC with an antenna in Canada anyway.
The TSN games should be fine unless NBC-SN decides to simulcast one of them.

unassisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
  #49
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RtooDtu View Post
There are a ton of free options with ****** quality streams that you cannot count on.

I remember using Center Ice several years ago and you have to keep in mind the quality will not be as good as watching it on TV. I am not saying it will be terrible but you will notice a difference.

Also you can use GameCenter anywhere in the world. So if you travel this is a great option. If you want to use a VPN you only need to use it when you want to watch a game.
There's a definite difference b/w quality, no arguments there.
Is hockeystreams.com reliable? i've never heard of the site, but i like the prices compared to how much gamecenter usually costs.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
  #50
RtooDtu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
I also forgot to say something that is extremely important. I had GameCenter Online i think 2-3yrs ago and i found the picture to be very choppy!

I have no idea if they fixed/improved on things however after getting GameCenter Online i decided to buy a SlingBox HD Pro and buy Center Ice and stream it to my computer. This way i only pay half and my parents paid the other half. I am a University student. I found with a Slingbox HD Pro the picture quality isnt as great (for some reason the encoder/decorder has an issue with whites) but watching the game was very smooth.

Again, i only used GameCenter Online for 1yr a few years ago so maybe they fixed everything but when i had it i found it very difficult to watch some/all of the games. However, the picture quality was amazing!

RtooDtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.