HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

vCash: 500
So when do they hit the ice again today?

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Shady Machine

It's frustrating to me that Jeffrey has no chance at cracking the top 12. Why is Adam's spot always cemented in place?

I already know the answer to that question haha.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's frustrating to me that Jeffrey has no chance at cracking the top 12. Why is Adam's spot always cemented in place?

someone will get hurt. He needs to play his best hockey as soon as that happens. Or wait for Tangradi to make one mistake.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
someone will get hurt. He needs to play his best hockey as soon as that happens. Or wait for Tangradi to make one mistake.
For sure. The positive is that Shero hasn't signed any veteran 13th forwards like in seasons past. So we know that injuries will happen and Jeffrey will get his chances.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:

Amen brother.

Adams is terrible at everything but the PK. He's never been a positive player for the Pens and his PK ability is easily replaceable. Do not tell me that DJ on the PK is a huge step down from Adams. Adam's IS a huge step down from DJ in 5v5 scoring.

Adams is great at making things hit him though....punches, checks, or pucks. He'll take them in stride.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Amen brother.

Adams is terrible at everything but the PK. He's never been a positive player for the Pens and his PK ability is easily replaceable. Do not tell me that DJ on the PK is a huge step down from Adams. Adam's IS a huge step down from DJ in 5v5 scoring.

Adams is great at making things hit him though....punches, checks, or pucks. He'll take them in stride.
You are definitely correct. Adding Jeffrey to a line with Glass-Vitale gives you more offense and frankly, DJ is very defensively responsible (more so than Adams IMO other than shot blocking). Sure you lose a little grit, but Glass-Vitale provide enough of that IMO. Jeffrey is just a superior hockey player.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Shady Machine

Does anyone know what the D pairings are in practice today?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
thecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Amen brother.

The problem is that when it's game 6 of the divisional finals and we need a PK to close out the series, will DJ risk taking a slapshot from Kovalchuk in the face to block a shot?

Currently we only have two guys on the team who you can definitively say will. One is Vitale, and the other is Adams.

Adams frustrates me too, but you need that sort of player to win championships.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
You are definitely correct. Adding Jeffrey to a line with Glass-Vitale gives you more offense and frankly, DJ is very defensively responsible (more so than Adams IMO other than shot blocking). Sure you lose a little grit, but Glass-Vitale provide enough of that IMO. Jeffrey is just a superior hockey player.
If shero got rid of adams there would be alot of pissed off people in that locker room after what adams did for the players during the lockout. Its better to keep him just to keep peace in the locker room

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
The problem is that when it's game 6 of the divisional finals and we need a PK to close out the series, will DJ risk taking a slapshot from Kovalchuk in the face to block a shot?

Currently we only have two guys on the team who you can definitively say will. One is Vitale, and the other is Adams.

Adams frustrates me too, but you need that sort of player to win championships.
Adams is at best our 4th best PKer behind Cooke, Dupuis and Sutter. I also have a hard time believing there is anything Adams is willing to do that Glass won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
If shero got rid of adams there would be alot of pissed off people in that locker room after what adams did for the players during the lockout. Its better to keep him just to keep peace in the locker room
I'd keep him. I just think he should be the 13th forward if he gets outplayed by Jeffrey.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
nhindian

I wouldn't mind seeing Geno get the odd look on the PK. Or Sid for that matter.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I never said get rid of Adams. He should be the 13th forward.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Does anyone know what the D pairings are in practice today?
Despres started with Letang. They've already been nicknamed the Dejan Dream Pairing.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

All this talk about Tangradi's skating and no specifics makes me sad.

Since I spent a good portion of yesterday's practice watching Tangradi I will give it a go. Those true students of the game, feel free to correct me if necessary.

Start with the positives:
Tangradi has excellent top-end speed for a big man, especially a 230 pounder. At speed he has good "edges", and can make tight turns and quick stops, hence he is also reasonably agile. At speed on the rush, he has no problem keeping up with our world class skating franchise Centers.

Now the negatives: Tangradi has issues when not at speed. He is not very agile or quick with his stop and start skating in tight spaces, and he also has a ways to go with his lateral aglity. It usually takes several strides for him to really get going. The thing that pains me, is just how awkward he looks when not skating with any kind of speed and trying to play the puck. I think this draws a lot of critiscm from less informed posters.

So how did I do pinch hitting for the Geno Machine guys?

Gallatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
All this talk about Tangradi's skating and no specifics makes me sad.

Since I spent a good portion of yesterday's practice watching Tangradi I will give it a go. Those true students of the game, feel free to correct me if necessary.

Start with the positives:
Tangradi has excellent top-end speed for a big man, especially a 230 pounder. At speed he has good "edges", and can make tight turns and quick stops, hence he is also reasonably agile. At speed on the rush, he has no problem keeping up with our world class skating franchise Centers.

Now the negatives: Tangradi has issues when not at speed. He is not very agile or quick with his stop and start skating in tight spaces, and he also has a ways to go with his lateral aglity. It usually takes several strides for him to really get going. The thing that pains me, is just how awkward he looks when not skating with any kind of speed and trying to play the puck. I think this draws a lot of critiscm from less informed posters.

So how did I do pinch hitting for the Geno Machine guys?
Can't speak for the pinch hit, but what you wrote was informative and absent snark and appreciated.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
cassius

Bold prediction: Eric Tangradi in the top-6 experiment will not end well.

The guy hasn't even proved an ability to be a solid NHL'er, yet they think he can step into an offensive role right away?

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see him succeed, but the realist in me knows that it just isn't going to work.

Tangradi is like groundhogs day around here... every year folks get excited and pencil him into a top-6 role before he's ready, then they act surprised when he doesn't succeed and gets demoted back to the 4th line / WBS.

He seems like a great kid so it's tough to see him not succeed, but it's a production oriented business and I question whether Tangradi has the tools to be successful in the NHL.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Rectify
I need a job.

Geno Machino, Hfboards is confusing and at times fun to be reckless and say stupid things. It is okay to make sense every now and again though, keeps things interesting.

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post

The guy hasn't even proved an ability to be a solid NHL'er, yet they think he can step into an offensive role right away?

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see him succeed, but the realist in me knows that it just isn't going to work.

Tangradi is like groundhogs day around here... every year folks get excited and pencil him into a top-6 role before he's ready, then they act surprised when he doesn't succeed and gets demoted back to the 4th line / WBS.

He seems like a great kid so it's tough to see him not succeed, but it's a production oriented business and I question whether Tangradi has the tools to be successful in the NHL.
I wouldn't exactly call that a 'bold' prediction.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
cheesedanish87

For anybody else wondering about scrimmage being on tv.

https://twitter.com/RobRossi_Trib/st...97080849936384

pens 24/7 HD radio and @ROOTSPORTSPIT will broadcast scrimmage Wednesday

#Pens PP has Neal and Letang on points, Kunitz-Crosby-Malkin down low

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/290898494011609089

Neal at the point of pp? Definitely didn't see that coming

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Hottubber

just posted this in the other thread

#Oilers acquire defenceman Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2013 #NHLDraft

good deal for oilers

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
For anybody else wondering about scrimmage being on tv.

https://twitter.com/RobRossi_Trib/st...97080849936384

pens 24/7 HD radio and @ROOTSPORTSPIT will broadcast scrimmage Wednesday

#Pens PP has Neal and Letang on points, Kunitz-Crosby-Malkin down low

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/290898494011609089

Neal at the point of pp? Definitely didn't see that coming
huh, interesting. I guess Sid wins priority of the below the circle shooter.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post

He hasn't been given a real opportunity to succeed in a top 6 role either. Hopefully, this year he gets an extended look. Then it's all on him.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post

#Oilers acquire defenceman Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2013 #NHLDraft

good deal for oilers
Yeah that seems like a solid deal. Their d no longer looks pathetic.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post

good deal for oilers
himmmm, dallas is going to need a d-man.

The Old Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Yeah that seems like a solid deal. Their d no longer looks pathetic.
Was Fistric not the guy that Shero asked for along with Neal originally?

Ive been a fan of him since the Giants. A bit slow but a good 3rd pairing d-man who plays fairly physical

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote