HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I was younger at the time, I didn't know who I wanted that was available (I wanted Cherepanov or Backlund) but I remember thinking: "Who the **** did we just draft?"...poor Patrick.
I remember that we had two picks between 25-35 and that was a very great opportunity to re-stock our cupboard with two solid prospects.

Hoping for Backlund, Perron, Moller, Vellieux, etc.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I was younger at the time, I didn't know who I wanted that was available (I wanted Cherepanov or Backlund) but I remember thinking: "Who the **** did we just draft?"...poor Patrick.
That was quickly followed up with a kick the groin - why the **** did we draft Ellington? - not that many draft spots later....

Old
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Believe it or not, just running the numbers quickly off the top of my head/from memory, I think there's almost a 20% chance in any given year that a team with one pick in each of the 7 rounds will end up with zero NHL players.

I'm doing that pretty rough, of course, but late 1st round picks are somewhere around 50% success rate (maybe even lower than that?), 2nds are about 25%, and rounds 3-7 work out to about 11-13% on aggregate.

Leaves you between 15-20% of going oh-for-the-draft if you pick late in the 1st.
I once read from someone on this board that even if a team doesn't get a single nhl player from a draft it can still be a successful draft if they get ahl players. I don't think any of our draft players even turned into ahl players.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
I once read from someone on this board that even if a team doesn't get a single nhl player from a draft it can still be a successful draft if they get ahl players. I don't think any of our draft players even turned into ahl players.
It didn't. Matson and Ellington had cups of coffee at the AHL level. That's it.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
thecupismine

As bad as the 2007 draft was (one of the worst drafts ever), Nonis does deserve a bit of credit for how well the 2004 draft went (even if he was only in charge for a short period of time before it). That draft produced our current #1 goalie in Schneider and #1 defenseman in Edler, a great third-liner in Hansen and another fringe NHLer in Brown. He's not an overly aggressive GM, but that often results in him wasting assets on nothing rather than deciding to go for it or do nothing. He tried to patch holes in the lineup with players who couldn't fill them which resulted in far too many 2nd and 3rd round picks being traded away for basically nothing.

I said this before Burke got hired, but it would have been smarter for the Leafs to hire Nonis before Burke. Nonis won't intentionally try to stock-pile assets, but his lack of aggressiveness results in just that. Burke has always been great at taking a team to the next level, but he needs a considerable base to build from and the Leafs never had that when he got in. In Vancouver there was a bit of something and he turned that into a playoff team, while in Anaheim there were a ton of assets which Burke used to eventually build a champion. Nonis isn't the type of guy who can build a cup-contending team, but he'll leave the Leafs off in a better position than they are in right now. For all the flack he gets for his time in Vancouver, Nonis left behind a base that Gillis has been able to use to build a team that's won 4 straight division titles and has been a contender for the cup in each of those years.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Believe it or not, just running the numbers quickly off the top of my head/from memory, I think there's almost a 20% chance in any given year that a team with one pick in each of the 7 rounds will end up with zero NHL players.

I'm doing that pretty rough, of course, but late 1st round picks are somewhere around 50% success rate (maybe even lower than that?), 2nds are about 25%, and rounds 3-7 work out to about 11-13% on aggregate.

Leaves you between 15-20% of going oh-for-the-draft if you pick late in the 1st.
Not just that, but it's also the quality of picks you're making too - as in, how bad you're missing too. Much of our haul turned out to be nothing picks. Ellington may turn out to be an okay-ish AHLer (probably same for Matson) but still... man.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
To be fair to us, the ownership isn't any less of a gong-show either.
Yeah man, I...uh...don't really know what to say right now.

On one hand, the merits/drawbacks of Brian Burke have been debated by Canucks and Leafs fans for years, but look at Burke's record at the helm of the Leafs. You could (and many are) make a good argument for canning him just based on wins and losses, but to fire him now? Uh...? I don't get that at all.

Still funny if you're a Canucks fan, though.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah man, I...uh...don't really know what to say right now.

On one hand, the merits/drawbacks of Brian Burke have been debated by Canucks and Leafs fans for years, but look at Burke's record at the helm of the Leafs. You could (and many are) make a good argument for canning him just based on wins and losses, but to fire him now? Uh...? I don't get that at all.

Still funny if you're a Canucks fan, though.
Leafs ownership change took place in late August, and a couple weeks later the lockout was on. Making the change during the lockout would have been a distraction and pointless, because trades couldn't be made anyway. Trading opens back up on Saturday, and with a shortened season and with a high probability of a busy trading season, ownership probably wanted the new direction to take place now rather than playing wait-and-see until July.

As for the Nonis hiring, I actually find it puzzling. His track record as GM in Vancouver was pretty mediocre. The only positives would be getting an excellent return on Bertuzzi and the trades he didn't make.

The negatives? His drafting was generally poor besides Edler's draft year, leaving behind a system devoid of potential NHL'ers. He also left behind a boring to watch, low scoring team that failed to make the post-season. He left open cap space in hopes that Forsberg would sign, only to be burned by him later when he signed in Colorado. His off-season strategy (before he got canned)? To sign Fabian Brunnstrom and promise him top 6 minutes. These type of half-measure moves were pretty common throughout his time in Vancouver. Brad Isbister, Byron Ritchie and Marc Chouinard anyone?

Old
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
*Injektilo

I note that the owners ratified the CBA 30-0. And yet posters here expect Bettman to get fired because the owners would be unhappy with the concessions he made last week.

Odd that.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I note that the owners ratified the CBA 30-0. And yet posters here expect Bettman to get fired because the owners would be unhappy with the concessions he made last week.

Odd that.
They are making a show of solidarity for public consumption, especially when they are getting torched in public opinion for locking the players out in the first place. That doesn't mean the internal divisions aren't there.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
They are making a show of solidarity for public consumption, especially when they are getting torched in public opinion for locking the players out in the first place. That doesn't mean the internal divisions aren't there.
This.

I highly doubt Mark Chipman & the rest of TNSE wanted a lockout in the first place but because they're the new kids in the NHL ownership game they had little choice. That's really what the owners of a new franchise wanted after finally getting a team back. There are definitely internal divisions. I know for a fact not all the owners agree with Jeremy Jacobs.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:19 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Losing money (as the hardline owners perceive it) is less important than optics? You don't get very far in business with that kind of mentality. And I'd think most of these guys know a thing or two about making a buck.

If the owners believe Bettman gave far too much in the negotiations, we would see them percolate way further than hearsay. I continue to maintain that he won't be fired anytime soon.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Losing money (as the hardline owners perceive it) is less important than optics? You don't get very far in business with that kind of mentality. And I'd think most of these guys know a thing or two about making a buck.

If the owners believe Bettman gave far too much in the negotiations, we would see them percolate way further than hearsay. I continue to maintain that he won't be fired anytime soon.
Can you imagine how bad their PR would be if they rejected it at this point? Only the hardest of hard core pro owner fans would stand behind them. The public and sponsors would be livid about getting their hopes up only to have them dashed by a BoG vote. Once Bettman announced the tentative agreement to the press, the owner's hands were tied.

Bettman is 61, he won't need to be 'fired', at least not officially. The BoG might strongly suggest he retire though.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
And I'd think most of these guys know a thing or two about making a buck.
Except when it comes to hockey operations for at least one of them.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:

If the owners had backed out of this deal, there would an epic PR disaster. One the NHL probably would never recover from. That being said, the only reason there was a deal is because the sponsors threatened to pull out.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:06 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
If the owners had backed out of this deal, there would an epic PR disaster. One the NHL probably would never recover from. That being said, the only reason there was a deal is because the sponsors threatened to pull out.
Media speculation the sponsors were putting enough pressure on to get a deal done, is just that. Given the partisan coverage of the lockout it's hard to take anything seriously.

Was the sponsors? Was it the owners? Was it Bettman overriding Jacobs? Was it the NHL getting the deal it secretly want? We have no idea what went on behind closed doors. We may never.

Whatever, hockey's back and both sides got an OK deal. We'll get a playoffs. Let's shambles that was the last 2 years die.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Burke fired....miss a little miss a lot.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Ryp37

so Thomas Hickey just got waived, wouldn't mind giving him a chance since we're now in the habit of picking up former top 5 picks

Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

That was such an awful pick by LA and everyone knew it at the time.

Imagine if they'd had taken Alzner instead.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
so Thomas Hickey just got waived, wouldn't mind giving him a chance since we're now in the habit of picking up former top 5 picks
Even if you ignore last season (their Cup victory) - a team in their position (well stocked prospect system & lots of picks) can afford to take 'huge swings at the bat' in the hopes of a 'home run'.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
canuck4life16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
some team will pick him who desperate of young players/defenseman........he also not very big

Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
crazycanuck

Don Cherry with another hilarious rambling on twitter today:

Quote:
@CoachsCornerCBC
I've had gold fish all my life. I have them down in my basement beside the tv. They've always been fancy gold fish which I've always liked.

@CoachsCornerCBC
I had them in Boston, right thru to Colorado and here. But I'm not going to get fancy ones anymore. They are tough to raise.

@CoachsCornerCBC
I have a tip for people that are serious about gold fish. My big gold fish hasn't been acting right for a month swimming sideways at the top

@CoachsCornerCBC
I was clearing stones and changing the water the other day and I though I wonder if he would like warm water. So in a quarter of the tank I

@CoachsCornerCBC
filled it up with beautiful warm water. Bingo. He's a whole new guy and back to hims normal self. I am off to the prospects game this

@CoachsCornerCBC
afternoon, when I get back I'm going to put in a heater.
Haha, I love Don's random ramblings, just so awesome.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

TEAM1040:
Quote:
Former @WHLGiants standout.....RT @mikeheika: Stars trade Mark Fistric to Edmonton for third round pick. Will allow kids to fight for spot.
If Fistric could have been had for a 3rd rounder, why didn't we trade for him?!

Old
01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
TEAM1040:

We'd have to beat that offer with our 2nd probably... not worth it for a depth defensemen.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
TEAM1040:

Because he's an NHL regular and last thing we need is an unhappy player in the room. Do you really think Fistric would be happy that a team acquired him just to have him sit for 75% of the season or more?

Closed Thread