HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the LIIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
yeah fistric is decent and way better than the crap we signed but i don't like giving up mid round picks for depth players

but we usually don't do **** with our mid round picks so who knows

Old
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
TEAM1040:

If Fistric could have been had for a 3rd rounder, why didn't we trade for him?!
I don't know much about Fistric but I would guess that a player made expendable on a team that has signed Sheldon Souray and Aaron Rome is probably not going to be a key part of a contending team.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
TEAM1040:

If Fistric could have been had for a 3rd rounder, why didn't we trade for him?!
Although not according to the nimrods at ESPN, a Canuck third round pick should be a lot later than an Edmonton one. Plus as I sort of joked in another thread, I don't think the owner of the Stars wants to deal with the Canucks. Our price would have been a second round pick.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
yeah fistric is decent and way better than the crap we signed but i don't like giving up mid round picks for depth players

but we usually don't do **** with our mid round picks so who knows
Generally, everybody don't do **** with their mid round picks. It's nearly a miracle to get a full time NHLer out of your 5th rounder.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

A 3rd rounder for Fistric is a nice deal, IMO. Surprised that that's all Dallas could garner in return.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Fistric
* 1.475m
* cap hit can't be hidden in the minors
* 1 year deal
* UFA in 6 months
* Rome in, Fistric out

Gillis and Gilman can play the cap like a fiddle and dodge the cap hits on Barker and Van by sending them down until needed. Fistric makes too much money, he's like Alberts in the regard and can't be sent down.

Guys on the fringe like Fistric are going to become less enticing with cap hits over 900k counting in the minors, while smart gms learn to shuffle/abuse 900k limit.

Last edited by me2: 01-14-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
A 3rd rounder for Fistric is a nice deal, IMO. Surprised that that's all Dallas could garner in return.
I'm not as bullish on that deal as most. Fistric averages a half shot a game, has 3 goals in 257 games, doesn't move the puck well, struggled to stay in the top 6 of a team with a below average defense and is a UFA in 48 games. He's injury prone to boot.

This is a borderline NHL player, not unlike Andrew Alberts. Was the Alberts deal a nice deal for us? Meh.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I'm not as bullish on that deal as most. Fistric averages a half shot a game, has 3 goals in 257 games, doesn't move the puck well, struggled to stay in the top 6 of a team with a below average defense and is a UFA in 48 games. He's injury prone to boot.

This is a borderline NHL player, not unlike Andrew Alberts. Was the Alberts deal a nice deal for us? Meh.

The Alberts deal was mediocre, as is this deal for EDM. I don't expect much out of this transaction for EDM.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
MS

Quote:

Agreed. Fistric looked like he was on track to be a solid player after his 2009-10 season at age 23. But in the two seasons since, he's regressed and been very disappointing for that team. Basically a fringe 6-7 guy in the Alberts mold, although I think he's a bit better than Alberts.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Hammer79

Anyone watch 'that's hockey tonight'? Craig Button had LA winning west and going back to finals, Vancouver finishing 3rd and losing to Nashville in first round. When the fans called him out on twitter on why he predicted a loss to Nashville, he said Vancouver didn't have enough depth on blueline. I guess Nashville can afford to lose Suter though and still have more depth on blueline? OK then Craig...

Old
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Anyone watch 'that's hockey tonight'? Craig Button had LA winning west and going back to finals, Vancouver finishing 3rd and losing to Nashville in first round. When the fans called him out on twitter on why he predicted a loss to Nashville, he said Vancouver didn't have enough depth on blueline. I guess Nashville can afford to lose Suter though and still have more depth on blueline? OK then Craig...
Why is every analyst parrotting this nonsense about blueline depth? This is as a bad as Doug Maclean constantly harping the Canucks needed another puck moving defenseman when they had Edler, Ehrhoff, Bieksa and the league's highest scoring defense.

Which dman is higher on the depth chart than they should be? These guys haven't seen much of Jason Garrison? Is it Ballard and Tanev they see as the weak link? I fully expect the bottom pairing to be a strength of the club. Alberts is more than capable as a #7.

Jim Vandermeer isn't good enough to be the #8. Down in the 1st round!

Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Hammer79

Not only that, Button had Detroit finishing 9th and the Oilers 8th. Button said that picking up Fistric would be enough to put the Oilers in the playoffs.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
aandbreatheme

I'm going to gouge my eyes out if the Kings go back to the Finals.

Who did he pick from the East?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I'm going to gouge my eyes out if the Kings go back to the Finals.

Who did he pick from the East?
I only caught the end of it, they had Rangers vs Pittsburgh in the conference final, although it wasn't Button doing the East predictions.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
I only caught the end of it, they had Rangers vs Pittsburgh in the conference final, although it wasn't Button doing the East predictions.
Oh, okay. Thanks.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Why is every analyst parrotting this nonsense about blueline depth? This is as a bad as Doug Maclean constantly harping the Canucks needed another puck moving defenseman when they had Edler, Ehrhoff, Bieksa and the league's highest scoring defense.

Which dman is higher on the depth chart than they should be? These guys haven't seen much of Jason Garrison? Is it Ballard and Tanev they see as the weak link? I fully expect the bottom pairing to be a strength of the club. Alberts is more than capable as a #7.

Jim Vandermeer isn't good enough to be the #8. Down in the 1st round!
He might have had some credibility if he said his concerns with Vancouver were with how quickly Kesler would return to form and how his absence would affect the 2nd line. But instead he singled out one of the team's best strengths as a weakness. Meanwhile he didn't even acknowledge Nashville's offensive problems or lack of depth on D, especially with losing their 5th leading scorer in Suter.

Also, Detroit missing the playoffs? They may have lost Lidstrom, but they still have Zetterberg and Datsyuk. They will muddle through for one of the bottom seeds. They certainly aren't going to miss out to an Edmonton team with a terrible back-end. Schultz could light up the AHL, but can he do it at the NHL level where forwards are a lot bigger, tougher and faster?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Not only that, Button had Detroit finishing 9th and the Oilers 8th. Button said that picking up Fistric would be enough to put the Oilers in the playoffs.
He might be right.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
crazycanuck

@imacVanSun

Great news for hockey fans in VAN, CGY, EDM: CBC's new Western HNIC crew is Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey.

NO MORE MARK LEE!!!!

Old
01-14-2013, 10:11 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Fistric is a marginally better version of Alberts. Given his cap hit, he isn't an attractive option at all as a depth D-man.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Nashville also lost Radulov, Kostitsyn, and Tootoo along with Bouillon and Suter...

Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
@imacVanSun

Great news for hockey fans in VAN, CGY, EDM: CBC's new Western HNIC crew is Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey.

NO MORE MARK LEE!!!!
YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! I like Hrudey too even though he hates the Canucks.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Fistric is a marginally better version of Alberts. Given his cap hit, he isn't an attractive option at all as a depth D-man.
Don't tell that to Craig Button. He compared him to Kevin Lowe...

Vancouver losing to Nashville because of defense depth? Does he think the Predator's have a better 1-7? Odd.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Don't tell that to Craig Button. He compared him to Kevin Lowe...

Vancouver losing to Nashville because of defense depth? Does he think the Predator's have a better 1-7? Odd.
Explains why Button isn't a GM.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! I like Hrudey too even though he hates the Canucks.
I like Kelly Hrudey when I was a kid. But he played for the Kings and they beat us on the way to winning the Cup. Now that I hate the Kings, I have to hate Kelly Hrudey. Plus, he doesn't tell PJ Stock to shut up. If he tells PJ Stock to shut up, I'll forgive him for being a King.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
No more Jim Hughson?

Closed Thread