HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center Ice Discussion.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

vCash: 500
The illegal streams are in a completely different league as far as quality goes, though. I'd love to have the option of getting CI, but I don't think I can justify getting cable and then adding CI on top of that when I can just get GCL on my laptop and do it that way.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:43 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Get an HDMI out for your laptop to your TV.

thefirstrow.eu

Never miss a game.
This is what I am doing. No way I am giving them any more money this season (already bought Coyotes partial season ticket plan when I was optimistic they couldn't be THAT dumb again ...).

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I'll subscribe again to Gamecenter this year, maybe they fixed the annoying problem that somehow I'm being blacked out for some games and nobody knows why.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Will be getting GCL but waiting to see the prices.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:13 AM
wtbipyo

I use GCL for most games and then rock First Row for NBCSports and NHL Network games. Would really like the NHL to recognize people that GCL and not black out NHL Network games. In all honesty, give NHL network free to GCL subscribers. I'll be in my 4th year of it. HDMI out on the laptop :-).

Also hearing about a GLC app for Xbox Live. Heard the PS3 one sucked, but Xbox is way better for streaming...

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator

I havent't had any problems with the PS3 App so far.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
I use GCL for most games and then rock First Row for NBCSports and NHL Network games. Would really like the NHL to recognize people that GCL and not black out NHL Network games. In all honesty, give NHL network free to GCL subscribers. I'll be in my 4th year of it. HDMI out on the laptop :-).

Also hearing about a GLC app for Xbox Live. Heard the PS3 one sucked, but Xbox is way better for streaming...
what is this "first row" you speak of?

edit- oh right, the site with streams. do they typically have every pens game available on there? i might just go with that for the entire season.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
tread102

There is a guy on twitter thats streams all pens and steeler games. The feed is awesome. I don't know how he would feel about me giving out his name on here. send a pm if you want it.

tread102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

GCL is going to be $49.99 according to an email they just sent me. That's not bad at all.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Shady Machine

I still can't find any information on Center Ice for Time Warner. Their site still says the season is cancelled due to the lockout.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

so I guess I need to get this in SC. I have no idea who my cable provider will be. Is this something that I can add onto a normal cable plan quickly? I am very new to this out of local market thing. I have never been more than 40 miles from Pittsburgh for more than a week or so.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so I guess I need to get this in SC. I have no idea who my cable provider will be. Is this something that I can add onto a normal cable plan quickly?
Yup it should be near instant. The channels already exist they just need to activate them for you. Unfortunately, you will also likely need to add another upgraded sports package if you want the NHL Network which the league loves to put the Pens games on. I believe someone said 14 of the 48 are on there. Center Ice blacks out games on NHLN.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yup it should be near instant. The channels already exist they just need to activate them for you. Unfortunately, you will also likely need to add another upgraded sports package if you want the NHL Network which the league loves to put the Pens games on. I believe someone said 14 of the 48 are on there. Center Ice is blacks out games on NHLN.
Ugh, I forgot about blackouts. Does this mean I won't get to hear Errey as often?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
GCL is going to be $49.99 according to an email they just sent me. That's not bad at all.
not bad. but with all these blackouts, i think i might just go with the streams.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ugh, I forgot about blackouts. Does this mean I won't get to hear Errey as often?
It means 2 things. One, your cable package likely won't include NHL Network so you have to pay for an upgraded package with other BS channels you don't want. Secondly, any national game (NBC, NBCsports, NHLN) will blackout the Root Feed on Center Ice so no Errey. In the 48 game season, you will only hear Errey around 20 times.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator

Quote:
In the 48 game season, you will only hear Errey around 20 times.
You guys in the Pittsburgh area are so lucky.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
You guys in the Pittsburgh area are so lucky.
I'm not in the Pittsburgh area so I only hear Errey through the Center Ice feed.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator

I'm watching Malkins magical goal against the Lighting right now. Seem like I got auto renewed.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It means 2 things. One, your cable package likely won't include NHL Network so you have to pay for an upgraded package with other BS channels you don't want. Secondly, any national game (NBC, NBCsports, NHLN) will blackout the Root Feed on Center Ice so no Errey. In the 48 game season, you will only hear Errey around 20 times.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'll be switching from CI to GCL this year

CI from Comcast sucks. They dont even have HD

wait, GCL doesnt play NHLN games? wtf?

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Puckie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I apologize for asking this again but since I'm in Kitchener, Ontario so would I get the Pens and Flyers next saturday if I have Centre Ice?? Or would I get Kings and Blackhawks???

With Centre Ice I assume though that I'd get both games right???

As for the other 3 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN, would I hit blackouts for that here as well?? Whatabout those other 14 games on NHL Network US??? Or would I just get those on a random Centre Ice channel???

When I lived in Timmins and had CI through Bell, I had maybe a total of 3-4 games blacked out in the span of 5 years...only because I didn't have LeafsTV. So I'm not used to worrying about this blackout BS.

I want to call Rogers and order Centre Ice this week but since I'm worried about hitting a bunch of blackouts this season....now I don't know what to do.

I live near London, Ontario and had Center Ice through Bell last season. I don't think there were any blackouts that I can remember for Pens games.

Puckie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
gogasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Pertaining mostly to GameCenter but CI as well:

Any game being played on NHLN or NBC/NBCSN is blacked-out, or is this only if you live in that area? IE: Since I live in DC the Caps game would be played on CSN rather than NBCSN? This seems like a simple concept but really confuses me.
In the past, if it is being carried by another "national" carier, ie NBC, NBCSports or NHL Network, then the game will be blacked out on Center Ice. It did not seem to matter what location you are in.

Even more frustrating for me, I live about 100 miles from Pittsburgh, but I cannot get the Pens games on Center Ice because it is considered inside the range of Fox Sport Pittsburgh, who has the local rights. I never considered 100 miles away as "local".

gogasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Just ordered CI again for the year. Saturday can't come soon enough!

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0253--nhl.html

Quote:
“We have partners in that business, so we don’t have the luxury of just giving it away,” he said. “What we’re trying to do is get it to a place where we think it’s certainly a very good offer, but it’s something that the business partners … can live with."

Pricing for NHL Center Ice will be $49.99 for the season, if you're ordering from an inDEMAND system. For DirecTV users, it will be $59.96, broken down into four payments of $14.99. A free preview can be seen from opening night on Jan. 19 until Jan. 31.
FU Directv for charging me 10 dollars more. 60 bucks for 19 games... not horrible, but I think I'll stick to the streams this year.

M0NTY26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Whale Mingo

I've never used GameCenterLive, how is the feed?

Also, how are the blackout restrictions applied? As a Pens fan if I travel outside of the local broadcast area will I be able to watch the Pens or games blacked out based on what address I sign up with?

If it's tracked by IP address (and my apologies if this shouldn't be talked about) wouldn't a location spoofer be able to beat the blackout restriction?

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote