HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Draft day: Couturier to MTL for Seth Jones

Old
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
lol isn't seth jones exactly what philly needs? Why are some flyer fans shrugging this off so quickly? Obviously you dont wanna trade your young guns, but you gotta give to get, and this would make you guys a better team for a long time.
Agreed.

As a Flyer fan, I'd do it.

I don't see why Montreal would though. If they got the chance to draft him (obviously a big if), they should draft him and build around him.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Sasso09

Everyone saying Seth Jones clearly has more value than Couturier are wrong.. for teams that need Centers desperately they would value couturier... But IMO Flyers would be stupid to not trade Couturier for Jones simply out of team needs and team strengths.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Let's say on draft day 2013 MTL is holding the 3rd overall spot, and they are coveting a big, 2-way center to compliment Galchenyuk. Mackinnon and Barkov go 1-2, and MTL feels there is no room for both Jones and Subban on their d. They'd like the 2-way presence Couturier brings, amongst other intangibles. I know that the value is there, but does either side make this trade?
They say F it, let's take Drouin, he'd be an awesome compliment to Galy.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
8 months ago it was absurd and ridiculous how overrated Couturier was getting on these boards.

Now it's just sad.

If this hypothetical came to be, Bergevin would have to be on some serious narcotics to even consider trading the prospect of having Jones on the back end. Ludicrous.

Last edited by Habsawce: 01-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Jones could be your new pronger

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
8 months ago it was absurd and ridiculous how overrated Couturier was getting on these boards.

Now it's just sad.
man this sucks because im a flyers fan so my opinion wont be taken seriously but

dude he's worth a lot, from his shot to his defense, kid shows a world of potential

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
sharks9

I wouldn't do it from a Habs points of view. Getting Jones would give us a sick defensive core to go along with one of the best young goalies in the league.

If a few of our forward prospects pan out or we make some good UFA signings, we'd be in really good shape to be contenders in a few years.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
man this sucks because im a flyers fan so my opinion wont be taken seriously but

dude he's worth a lot, from his shot to his defense, kid shows a world of potential
Let me clear up my comment because it's really not fair and generalizes an entire fan base. I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant was, of all young players and prospects in the world, Sean Couturier is being overrated more than any by a select few Philadelphia fans. There are too many to name them, however, I am quite certain the majority are not. Unfortunately the loudest voices are often the minority.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Everyone saying Seth Jones clearly has more value than Couturier are wrong.. for teams that need Centers desperately they would value couturier... But IMO Flyers would be stupid to not trade Couturier for Jones simply out of team needs and team strengths.
Couturier i dont think is worth Even Drouin, let alone Jones who IMO is likely to go 1st overall over Mackinnon.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
All Flyers Fans love Couturier. But giving him up for a chance at Jones? That might be something to consider.

I will say this, If couturier gets more PP time and increased point production in his second year while still playing great D then his trade value will increase greatly. Being able to show that he can produce in the NHL as a two way centerman that could be a teams first line center is more valuable than a Highly regarded D man who has first pairing potential.

That is a bit of an understatement...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

We will see after this season, if Sean progresses offensively like most Flyers fans think he can, then no. If not, then yes.

I gotta say though, Jones didn't really WOW me like I thought he would at the WJC's, though you can definitely see the massive potential if he puts it all together. Couturier's hockey sense is off the charts, which I think is why he's become "overrated" by Flyers fans.

I don't see Jones going 1st overall at all, infact, I'd give Drouin a better chance at going 1st than Jones. Defenders are just too unpredictable. Remember when Hedman was going to go 1st overall? Johnson over Toews? Even Doughty over Stamkos would of been a mistake.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Id love to have coots, but I would never pass on Jones.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
JackBauer

Jones will go #1. Very interesting trade though.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Couturier will be a nice 2nd line center. Jones will be a #1 d-man. If anything, Couturier would be a slight underpayment for the #1 pick.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Let me clear up my comment because it's really not fair and generalizes an entire fan base. I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant was, of all young players and prospects in the world, Sean Couturier is being overrated more than any by a select few Philadelphia fans. There are too many to name them, however, I am quite certain the majority are not. Unfortunately the loudest voices are often the minority.
I depends on what you mean by overrated. To say he could turn into 20 plus goal a season selke trophy candidate is not really a leap. He had 13 goals last year as a 4th liner and did a great job defensively against some of the premiere centers in the league. I don't know what other fans are saying about his future, but I view a 6-4 center who can do those things as extremely valuable.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Tinordi - Jones
Gorges - Subban
Beauieau - Emelin
Ellis

Price

That tells me that we should just keep Jones if we can get him.
I would be happy with Tinordi being more than a bottom pairing D in the NHL.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Ill be surprised if jones is not taken either 1st or 2nd.

Leafs87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Exit Dose

Take Jones or one of the remaining forwards.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Jones >>> Couturier.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
laundryman

I'd probably do that, but not sure if Montreal would.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Malkin112

Jones>> everything since Crosby

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Jones >>> Couturier.
LOL i can understand saying Jones>Coots but this idiotic post right here is the prime example of HFB overrating undrafted players that aren't already assigned to a team. This has become flyers fans vs every other fan. Same thing happened before the last draft, Yakupov won the poll like 170-60 over RNH... do that poll now or ask the Oilers fans. Jones likely goes 2nd or 3rd. he's not going before Mac unless a team with a heavier need for a defenseman gets that pick.. i don't see Drouin going before Seth but it's not completely out of the question. Now go back to Couturier's draft, he was the #1 pick up until 5 months before the draft and should have still been a top 3 pick regardless. That coupled with the fact that Jones really didn't look all that great at the WJC, the values are definitely close, whomever you pick certainly isn't >>+

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Zeroknowledge*

As a Hab fan I'd wanna kill Bergevin if he traded Jones for Couturier.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

No offence to Sean, kid is a beast, but Montreal could get a much better offer for that pick than this.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Big fan of Couturier, but the Flyers would be nuts to pass on this offer if it was tabled.

It's easier to find a big, two-way center to play behind Giroux than it is to potentially replace Pronger for the next 15 years.

Edit: To expand on this, Couturier's often compared to a young Jordan Staal. If, at any time after drafting him, the Penguins were offered, say, Doughty for Staal, I'd have been livid if Shero didn't jump at the chance. That's basically what's being proposed here. And Jones even fits a more immediate and long-term need for the Flyers. They'd be dealing from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. Holmgren would be very unwise to decline this hypothetical trade, imo.

Last edited by billybudd: 01-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote