HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Hard to imagine a Leafs-Jets trade that makes much sense with JVR included.

Leafs need help down the middle and in net... Winnipeg obviously can't help with either. I guess Scheifele would be the only piece that somewhat makes sense? But he hasn't exactly been tearing it up since being drafted (considering growth expected due to age) and I don't see why JVR would be moved for a prospect, unless it was an absolute top prospect.

Yea, I don't see how this rumour makes sense. JVR is locked up longterm and is young. There's no reason for Toronto to move him. People talk about Kessel/Phaneuf as possible guys to be moved because they're UFAs 1.5 years from now, JVR has like ~5 years or something like that.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Leafs need help down the middle and in net... Winnipeg obviously can't help with either. I guess Scheifele would be the only piece that somewhat makes sense? But he hasn't exactly been tearing it up since being drafted (considering growth expected due to age) and I don't see why JVR would be moved for a prospect, unless it was an absolute top prospect.

Yea, I don't see how this rumour makes sense. JVR is locked up longterm and is young. There's no reason for Toronto to move him. People talk about Kessel/Phaneuf as possible guys to be moved because they're UFAs 1.5 years from now, JVR has like ~5 years or something like that.
I'd like to know the genesis of this rumour as I tend to agree with you on this. WPG/ TOR don't make good dance partners, and I can't see the Leafs wanting to deal JVR at this point.

01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
I wonder if there is a 3 way trade in the works to get Luongo out of vancouver.
And what would the Jets have that would make that even a serviceable idea? We have our goalie tandem for the year. We're certainly not going to help Toronto get their goalie problems fixed.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
I wonder if there is a 3 way trade in the works to get Luongo out of vancouver.
If that's the case, I wonder what Vancouver would be looking at from Winnipeg?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
And what would the Jets have that would make that even a serviceable idea? We have our goalie tandem for the year. We're certainly not going to help Toronto get their goalie problems fixed.
I dunno take your pick.

Burmi+2nd or 3rd to van
Lou to Tor
Jvr to Win

Add subtract where needed. Just guessing its Burmi. To me its Little or Burmi just cause they said they wanted more size last year.

or Little to tor
JVR to win

add subtract where needed.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
If that's the case, I wonder what Vancouver would be looking at from Winnipeg?
Take Kesler and the twins out of the lineup and they have next to no scoring.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

I just don't understand why Van and Tor wouldn't just eliminate the middle man?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
meedle

I didn't look at caps but I don't think Van can take on another contract like JVR's

Ya looking at capgeek they are at ~68mil. If u get rid of Lou its down to 63 next year with a cap at 64.3

Old
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

I concur that Toronto / Winnipeg are unlikely direct trade partners , Toronto would need to get a young player for JVR imo . I do disagree with your comment about Scheifele though , he had been at the top of the OHA scoring , scored in the summer , scored in the WJC , and did that playing a position that was very new for him . he hasn't disapointed at all imo.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
I concur that Toronto / Winnipeg are unlikely direct trade partners , Toronto would need to get a young player for JVR imo . I do disagree with your comment about Scheifele though , he had been at the top of the OHA scoring , scored in the summer , scored in the WJC , and did that playing a position that was very new for him . he hasn't disapointed at all imo.
I like that they are trying Scheifele on Jokinen's wing in TC. I hope he grows into that position until he can be stronger on the dot.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

I don't like a deal where we are trading Little. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. As garret's numbers show, Little is one of our most effective forwards and I think he probably still has to reach his full potential.

JVR would be a nice piece, but not at the expense of Little.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'd like to know the genesis of this rumour as I tend to agree with you on this. WPG/ TOR don't make good dance partners, and I can't see the Leafs wanting to deal JVR at this point.
It was apparently on TSN radio, they said two sources had indicated Winnipeg inquired about JVR.

But yea, it doesn't make sense. Winnipegs strength is on the blueline. So is Toronto's, longterm at least.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
I don't like a deal where we are trading Little. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. As garret's numbers show, Little is one of our most effective forwards and I think he probably still has to reach his full potential.

Little, Wheeler, Ladd, Kane, and Scheifele are all of our forwards that I consider untouchable at this point. I would include Jokinen, but it's a given that he's an untouchable given his age and UFA status.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Any other year i'd give up a first + for JVR.

But with the short schedule, i think this seasons too volatile, and even though we might not BE a bottom placing team,based on how much we're gambling on a streaky pavelec we could end up with a very high pick (hopefully not).

Other then tha ti'm not really sure what winnipeg could possibly offer/stomach for JVR that makes sense for both orgs. as stated, our strengths seem to be in the same places.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I like Little too, but I really don't see much room for growth.

Little has more defensive value at this point, but JVR is probably going to be a better scorer and has more upside IMO, not to mention he has the size that Chevy still seems to like. I would be surprised if the Jets went that direction, but I wouldn't be blown away. It would be a pure hockey trade.

If the Jets think Scheifele or Burmi is ready to centre the second line I could see them making a move to upgrade the wing. It will be interesting to watch.

Maybe the Leafs really want Al Montoya.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Any other year i'd give up a first + for JVR.

But with the short schedule, i think this seasons too volatile, and even though we might not BE a bottom placing team,based on how much we're gambling on a streaky pavelec we could end up with a very high pick (hopefully not).

Other then tha ti'm not really sure what winnipeg could possibly offer/stomach for JVR that makes sense for both orgs. as stated, our strengths seem to be in the same places.
If the Jets can nab JVR without giving up a player, that would give our squad some pretty fun depth. A first seems like a lot to give up, but JVR was a 2nd overall pick and he is already a solid NHLer. Depending what the plus is, I could get behind moving a 1st.

Ladd - Little - JVR
Kane - Olli - Wheeler
Burmi - Scheifele - Welly
Poni - Slater - Antro

Old
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I agree, 100%. However, I doubt he's available lol
On the surface, I agree sully. Stars would not want to move arguably their best player (Loui is pretty good too).

But rumors persist that Benn's camp wants 4 yr (or 5) deal that gets him to UFA at the earliest moment so he has more options and can cash in sooner. Stars don't want to do that obviously, and would consider a bridge deal. Benn's camp has no interest in that, at the moment. Hence the stall at the moment. Benn's value has likely been determined based on deals to skinner, kane, eberle and hall. He's a $5.5-$6 million/yr player, most likely, on a longer-term deal. In the $4.5+ mill/yr deal on a bridge contract, hoping to cash in much more after 2 yrs.

The future cap values might be playing a role too in his negotiation.

Now, do the Jets want to trade for a guy that is having contract 'issues' right now? Maybe not, but he might be more available than folks think. Obviously, it would be better fot Stars to lock him up for the max 8 yrs, but I don't see that happening, either. Maybe, not holding my breath.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If the Jets can nab JVR without giving up a player, that would give our squad some pretty fun depth. A first seems like a lot to give up, but JVR was a 2nd overall pick and he is already a solid NHLer. Depending what the plus is, I could get behind moving a 1st.

Ladd - Little - JVR
Kane - Olli - Wheeler
Burmi - Scheifele - Welly
Poni - Slater - Antro
If he can play RW then definitly agree, but if i recall he was always used on the left side in philly....

Old
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
If he can play RW then definitly agree, but if i recall he was always used on the left side in philly....
Oops. Yes he was. I got lost in fantasy land.

I can't see the Jets looking to add a third scoring left winger.

Very odd rumour.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Very odd rumour.
Agreed.

I don't think they would part with a 1st rd pick in 2013, in a year with so many quality players in the 1st rd of draft, but maybe 2014.

Leafs need a center. Don't see the Jets parting with any of their young centers, except maybe, maybe burmi but I don't see him in a package for JVR either. Odd rumour indeed.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

Very odd rumour.
thats my thinking, seems to be alot of reasons why this doesn't happen, and not many why it does besides "management likes/doesn't like player x".
1.Position of strength
2. same depth (defence)
3. same weakness(center)
4. hasn't even played a game yet
5. both teams in no mans land...

Old
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Wow, I would love to get JVR.

I think Burmistrov + Stuart might be something that Toronto would be interested in.

Possibly for JVR + something sort of insignificant.

Last edited by Sweech: 01-14-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Huffer

vCash: 625
Unless JVR can play C or RW, or the deal is Kane for JVR +, I don't see how this fits from a hockey perspective.

Also, and to be upfront, I like Burmistrov, am not looking to deal him, and think he still has a tonne of talent and is in the teams plans for the near future.

That being said, Burmi's name being floated in regards to JVR, and the other thread on the Trade Forum regarding Phoenix looking for a 2C has me thinking about the pros and cons of a Burmi / Gormley trade. Gormley is a lefty, and in a couple of years the Jets could have Enstrom / Bogo, and Gormley / Trouba.

I also wouldn't be opposed to a guy like Klesla as well (not for Burmi, just in general) as an upgrade on Hainsey.

Thoughts on either?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
There isn't really much I'd like to move other than possibly Kane. But even then I still wouldn't do it.

Both teams are looking for a number one centre, unless JVR moves positions I don't really see where he fits.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

I don't see what Winnipeg has that they're willing to part with and Toronto would want in "equal" value for JVR.

Closed Thread