HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jori Lehtera (Update: Re-signed with Sibir for 2 years)

Old
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
od71

vCash: 500
By the way, Sibir saved Lehtera by signing contract with him. Had he stayed in Yaroslavl for another year.....
He is lucky.
Goalie Liv played in Novosibirsk and Sibir wanted to prolong contract with him. But he refused and signed with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. He was excellent goalie, one of the best in the KHL

Last edited by od71: 01-14-2013 at 12:28 PM.
od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Oan

So are you saying that there is zero chance that Lehtera could come to NA next season? I remember reading last fall something in finnish magazines that he still aims for NHL.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
od71

Lehtera contract expires 30.04.2014 according official site of the KHL. He is core player of Sibir. Almost no chance. Of course anything can happen. But at this point I would not believe it

Old
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Taras is a different story. His contract was expiring and Sibir was out of PO zone. After the season he was going to try the NHL. That's why GM traded him (his contract was one of the most expensive) to ease the budget.
This season Sibir is going to try a shot in PO
I haven't heard about any out clauses in his contract. May be I don't know about them, but I doubt that there are any of them. It would have been known.
Actually, Lehtera's rating after Yaroslavl was not very high in the KHL. What out clauses he could talk about?
I was not talking about Tarasenko last season, but in the 2010/11 season. Around March 2011, the Sibir GM spoke with the fans and said that there was a 70% chance that Tarasenko would be playing in the NHL for the 2011/12 season, despite him having 1 year remaining on his Sibir contract. Ultimately Tarasenko decided to remain with Sibir for that following season.

I don't really believe that such clauses would automatically be known about; the team didn't even announce that they had signed Lehterä for 2 years with their official press release. Also, remember last season when they traded the KHL RFA rights of Tarasenko to SKA without any announcement (the initial trade last January was sending Tarasenko on loan until the end of the season).

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here)) But I would be astonished if the Blues wanted him for next season and he had to remain with Sibir.

Last edited by Alklha: 01-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Or we can wait until his KHL contract is up and have a late bloomer on our hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I think I like Carvin's idea better... I had a feeling that any proposed trade for Lehtera would try to drastically lowball the Blues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
So are you saying that there is zero chance that Lehtera could come to NA next season? I remember reading last fall something in finnish magazines that he still aims for NHL.
See Carvin's idea above. A late-bloomer one-way signing by Armstrong is probably the only thing that will happen with the Blues and Lehterä besides the obvious, which is nothing.

And P_B's right, a trade offer would be low.

EDIT:

I'll add that the Blues currently have 2/3 of my dream line of Perron--Lehterä--Tarasenko.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 01-15-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: dreaming
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Kshahdoo

Contract can be bought out for 75% (but I don't remember exact numbers) of what it remains. I don't know what is Lehtera's contract, but I don't think it's very small.

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I was not talking about Tarasenko last season, but in the 2010/11 season. Around March 2011, the Sibir GM spoke with the fans and said that there was a 70% chance that Tarasenko would be playing in the NHL for the 2011/12 season, despite him having 1 year remaining on his Sibir contract. Ultimately Tarasenko decided to remain with Sibir for that following season.

I don't really believe that such clauses would automatically be known about; the team didn't even announce that they had signed Lehterä for 2 years with their official press release. Also, remember last season when they traded the KHL RFA rights of Tarasenko to SKA without any announcement (the initial trade last January was sending Tarasenko on loan until the end of the season).

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here)) But I would be astonished if the Blues wanted him for next season and he had to remain with Sibir.
Actually all this out clause stuff rarely happens in the KHL. I've heard only about NHLers have such clauses. Even ROR (O'Reighly) could not sign contract in the KHL because of it. That was the main obstacle. They agreed to sign with this clause only if his NHL's offer exceeds his KHL contract.
Taras always had been on a special position in Sibir. His father was a head coach.
About his trade to SKA I've already spoken. Rumours about it were widespread in the KHL long before the trade.
Right now I cannot see how player with KHL contract on his hands can go to the NHL unless he has a club's permission.

Last edited by od71: 01-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 05:16 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I really haven't followed Lehtera very much, as I have seen so many like him drafted over the years that didn't look as if it would work out here. Didn't want the heart break...ala Aaltonen, Soderburg, and Jonas Johnson (he played the Blues baaad.) Can Lehtera play the wing, if his skating is truly questionable? Obviously, the guy can score. When the KHL season ends and we are hit with the groin pull bug, perhaps he may be willing to come over to the big club? I just see compressing all this hockey in such a narrow window as many groin pulls waiting to happen. Playing that much hockey, the injuries are going to pile up.

Last edited by PerryTurnbullfan: 01-15-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: grammar
PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
MissouriBlues2008

Probably posted already, but still awesome.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5117--nhl.html

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:30 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
Probably posted already, but still awesome.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5117--nhl.html
That is just a sick move....WOW!! Hopefully, he may come over after the KHL season is completed. Rotate him in to preserve players....

Old
01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Lehtera said in an interview today that he will be glad to join the Blues if they want him, but only after the season ends.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:25 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
Lehtera said in an interview today that he will be glad to join the Blues if they want him, but only after the season ends.
Interesting...

I wonder if we do this and if so, where does he fit?

I don't think he is going to come over if there is a strong chance he gets put in the AHL even for a little bit.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
Interesting...

I wonder if we do this and if so, where does he fit?

I don't think he is going to come over if there is a strong chance he gets put in the AHL even for a little bit.
as good as Andy McDonald is, he turns 36 before the next season, and also his contract is up. maybe Armstrong will decide against resigning him, with Lehtera likely available to take his place on the line with Tarasenko and high profile youth like Jaskin and Rattie about to be ready to come through the ranks.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
as good as Andy McDonald is, he turns 36 before the next season, and also his contract is up. maybe Armstrong will decide against resigning him, with Lehtera likely available to take his place on the line with Tarasenko and high profile youth like Jaskin and Rattie about to be ready to come through the ranks.
If McDonald can stay pretty healthy this season, I'd be surprised not to see him back. If we were to bring Lehterä in, then I expect it would be taking the spot of Chris Stewart in the top 9.

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Berglund - Perron
Steen - Lehterä - Tarasenko

Lehterä would be capable of winning faceoffs too Means Jaškin and Rattie could start in Peoria and see what happens.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:48 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
If McDonald can stay pretty healthy this season, I'd be surprised not to see him back. If we were to bring Lehterä in, then I expect it would be taking the spot of Chris Stewart in the top 9.

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Berglund - Perron
Steen - Lehterä - Tarasenko

Lehterä would be capable of winning faceoffs too Means Jaškin and Rattie could start in Peoria and see what happens.
I think Schwartz gets sent down. Not playing bad. Just not the player that Stewart is yet.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I think Schwartz gets sent down. Not playing bad. Just not the player that Stewart is yet.
I am convinced that we won't be able to keep both McDonald and Stewart next season. The 2012/13 salary of our 23 man roster is $46.7m. Once we resign Berglund, Petro, Shattenkirk, Russell and Cole in the summer then we are going to be at a minimum of $48m for 2013/14. Plus we still have to sign/replace McDonald, Stewart, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, Nichol and Redden. Keep both Stewart and McDonald and we'll be close to $55m with 4 spots open, which I would be very surprised to see us having the budget for.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
I am convinced that we won't be able to keep both McDonald and Stewart next season. The 2012/13 salary of our 23 man roster is $46.7m. Once we resign Berglund, Petro, Shattenkirk, Russell and Cole in the summer then we are going to be at a minimum of $48m for 2013/14. Plus we still have to sign/replace McDonald, Stewart, D'Agostini, Langenbrunner, Nichol and Redden. Keep both Stewart and McDonald and we'll be close to $55m with 4 spots open, which I would be very surprised to see us having the budget for.
If Stewart can stay on a pace to score 25-35 goals, then you find a way to resign him. He is one of the few natural goal scorers that we have. Plus adding the element of toughness. I guess it may also depend on Jaskin's development too. Nice problem to have.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
STL fan in IA

All we can do at this point is speculate as who knows what circumstances the Blues find themselves with this summer but I could see the Blues trading Bergy if they feel Lehtera can replace his production for cheaper.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
All we can do at this point is speculate as who knows what circumstances the Blues find themselves with this summer but I could see the Blues trading Bergy if they feel Lehtera can replace his production for cheaper.
I am a big fan of Lehterä, but I don't even have that kind of faith in him. If he didn't work out, then we'd find ourselves in trouble down the middle. By moving Steen, it means if Lehterä doesn't work as center, then we can switch them and see what Lehterä can do on LW with his speed.

Although, with the number of quality, versatile forwards we have it is anyones guess how Hitch would choose to work it.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Have

If Jori is signed, a KHL-clause has to be added. He has failed in NA once, and he will probably fail again if he comes over. And there's a simple reason for that. His feet and hands are good and would be excellent in NHL also, but his head isn't. Simply, when the games get tougher and faster decisions etc are needed, Lehterä simply disappears.

To back up my words:
KHL regural season: 121. 39+66=105, 0.87PPG (very good)

But.

KHL playoffs: 18. 0+3=3, 0.17PPG
World Championships: 5. 0+0=0, 0.00PPG
EHT: 18. 0+8=8, 0.44PPG

He has all the skill in the world what comes to skating, stickhandling etc, but when he isn't given enough time to use his skills, he disappears. And in NA, the game is in that sense very different from Europe - and that's why Jori Lehterä will never be a regural in the NHL.

Have is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Would be a great addition, but give him a little more time. I think we would be close to the Oilers for the youngest team.

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Would love to bring him over here next year and see a lineup of

Perron-backes-oshie

Mcdonald-Lehtera-Tarasenko

Steen- Berglund- Stewart

Sobotka- Nichol- Reaves

Schwartz with rattie and jaskin in peoria. Just a thought. Salary wise we may have to let stewart go and then one of rattie- jaskin and schwartz could take a spot on that 3rd line unless we keep d'agostini.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Would love to bring him over here next year and see a lineup of

Perron-backes-oshie

Mcdonald-Lehtera-Tarasenko

Steen- Berglund- Stewart

Sobotka- Nichol- Reaves

Schwartz with rattie and jaskin in peoria. Just a thought. Salary wise we may have to let stewart go and then one of rattie- jaskin and schwartz could take a spot on that 3rd line unless we keep d'agostini.
I don't see any scenario in which Lehtera pushes Schwartz to Peoria. Schwartz might spend some more time in Peoria this season if D'ags can take the spot from him but I doubt Schwartz plays in the AHL any next season, especially because of Lehtera. If Lehtera is on the team next season, it's likely because the Blues decided to trade one of Bergy/Stewie to be able to afford all if the other pending RFAs/UFAs.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:07 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Well there you go...

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Quote:
Berglund bring so much to the Blues; he's big, physical, plays a strong two-way game, and has decent production. I don't see why you would trade away a sure thing and replace him with an unknown quantity like Lehtera.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote