HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Islanders claim Joe Finley

Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Nolanitis

vCash: 500
I doubt Hickey makes it to 4th tomorrow. Edmonton will take him.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Interesting. I actually wanted the sens to claim him and say "see what we did to carkner? We'll do that to you." I guess actually going to carkner's team is one better.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
wow Martin is a tough SOB and you dont see him lose fights but I would say Finley got the best off him....

This guys huge!!!!

to BUF fans is he capable of playing as a regular #6 Dman in the NHL?

Mayby Isles want more competition in camp?

Im going to The isles open practice tommorow and scrimage on wed. I hope this guy is there..

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
MonsterSurge

He's terrible at fighting.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

The isles just want to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle like they always do.

Because actually making a trade for an NHL player requires too much work for a simpleton like Garth Snow. What a GM, easiest job in the world. Just do nothing like he always does.

Unbelievable.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Boose30

hel nvr cut it in the ahl, the guy cant skate, happy hes gone cuz he allows our younger guys a shot to be something

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
wow Martin is a tough SOB and you dont see him lose fights but I would say Finley got the best off him....

This guys huge!!!!

to BUF fans is he capable of playing as a regular #6 Dman in the NHL?

Mayby Isles want more competition in camp?

Im going to The isles open practice tommorow and scrimage on wed. I hope this guy is there..
Honest answer is no. He just doesn't have what it takes. Being big and able to throw some punches won't get him a permanent spot on the roster. He is a journeyman who could be an inconsistent #7. That said, screw the Isles for taking him I am gonna miss shouting "Big Joe Finley" at the Amerks games.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
The isles just want to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle like they always do.

Because actually making a trade for an NHL player requires too much work for a simpleton like Garth Snow. What a GM, easiest job in the world. Just do nothing like he always does.

Unbelievable.
Not that Snow is doing a great job, but sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do, and the right thing. It's only when you put "always" in front of it that there's any significance.

Nothing wrong with taking a shot at a reclamation project on a still young player, particularly when you need more bodies to have defensive depth.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Not that Snow is doing a great job, but sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do, and the right thing. It's only when you put "always" in front of it that there's any significance.

Nothing wrong with taking a shot at a reclamation project on a still young player, particularly when you need more bodies to have defensive depth.
The entire organization outside of Tavares is a reclamation project. And I'm really not even kidding

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post

He has terrible balance. Perhaps Matt Carkner can give Joe Finley some tips on how to improve his balance (although he's huge).

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post
Honest answer is no. He just doesn't have what it takes. Being big and able to throw some punches won't get him a permanent spot on the roster. He is a journeyman who could be an inconsistent #7. That said, screw the Isles for taking him I am gonna miss shouting "Big Joe Finley" at the Amerks games.
Is he still a terrible skater, has he improved?

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

6'8 252 lbs wow

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post

Eric Cairns still works with the Islanders and is at traing camp right now. It will be fixed soon.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
He has terrible balance. Perhaps Matt Carkner can give Joe Finley some tips on how to improve his balance (although he's huge).
Yeah, he's not a terrible fighter, just has poor balance and when guys are switching hands it's hard for him.

For depth reasons I like this pickup, keeps Bridgeport in good shape.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Is he still a terrible skater, has he improved?
His skating isn't horrible, but it's far from great. Any issues he has in the AHL are going to be magnified in the NHL. Top lines will skate circles around Big Joe and he doesn't always make the smartest decisions with the puck. He might elevate his game to for the Isles in hopes of making the big club. He hasn't had much of a chance to play for the Sabres in the past year and a half because there is such a log jam on defense, so i don't think he has always given it his all for us. He was called up for a couple of games last year and he was pretty brutal. Only good for a fight and nothing more. I wish him all the best, but Isles fans would do best to temper their expectations and avoid disappointment.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
lol i just claimed joe finley yesterday off waivers on NHL 13 haha

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:33 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
If the Isles picked him up as a guy to be a 7/8 dmen than he can be just that. Perfect team guy. Will do anything for his team. Lacks hockey sense and skating ability though.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:49 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i cant wait to see Carkner and Finley on the Islanders blueline against Nash and Gaborik on the ice they will skate circles around those two players that cant skate and just fight...
i'm sure they'll put carkner and finley against the rangers #1 line. how thick do you have to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post

Unbelievable.
why don't you follow trottier and just switch teams to the devils?

i'll never understand why islanders fans get so upset over waiver pick ups. please tell me which defenseman that is/was available will join the islanders? barker, foster, and vandermeer signed with contenders, fistric concussed one of their most coveted prospects last season.

Last edited by It Was 4 to 1: 01-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
If the Isles picked him up as a guy to be a 7/8 dmen than he can be just that. Perfect team guy. Will do anything for his team. Lacks hockey sense and skating ability though.
Agreed, sucks to see him go but if the Sabres need a monster who can't skate back on the Blue Line they can just insert Scott to the line up...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i'm sure they'll put carkner and finley against the rangers #1 line. how thick do you have to be?

why don't you follow trottier and just switch teams to the devils?

i'll never understand why islanders fans get so upset over waiver pick ups. please tell me which defenseman that is/was available will join the islanders? barker, foster, and vandermeer signed with contenders, fistric concussed one of their most coveted prospects last season.
not a reason to not at least try getting him, peca went to the leafs and became best friends with tucker, montoya hasnt been decent since his concussion from being ran by kane, and now he signed with the jets

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Awww, I'll miss him, if only for his potential to kill someone.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

He was actually acquired to be the new groundskeeper. He's pretty handy with a lawnmower. Hell of a lot better than he is with a stick anyway.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He was actually acquired to be the new groundskeeper. He's pretty handy with a lawnmower. Hell of a lot better than he is with a stick anyway.
That was hilarious! I had to hide my head to keep people from realizing who was laughing in my office. Now his applogy letters will say "Just stay away from Tavares"

Old
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Chardo

[QUOTE=
i'll never understand why islanders fans get so upset over waiver pick ups. please tell me which defenseman that is/was available will join the islanders? barker, foster, and vandermeer signed with contenders, fistric concussed one of their most coveted prospects last season.[/QUOTE]

It's because Garth continues trying to build this team from the bottom up. Take a bad team, improve the bottom players, and you still have a bad team.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:37 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
It's because Garth continues trying to build this team from the bottom up. Take a bad team, improve the bottom players, and you still have a bad team.
Who could Garth go after right now? Who's available? What assets do we have that other teams want that we can afford to trade? Injuries have really put us in a whole before the partial season has started. How would you like snow to get us out of it?