HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #101
Catamarca Livin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
Scheider replaced Luongo in game 3 right? I am pretty sure the canucks still planned on winning the series. If the switch came in game 4 you would have a good theory

Catamarca Livin is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 12:05 AM
  #102
canadianmagpie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Kesler's career high for goals: 40
Lupul's career high for goals: 25

And Kesler is a selke winner, Lupul is no good defensively.

Kadri is a Bust. Supposedly an offensive player, and not even top 50 in AHL scoring.

Bozak has never had a 20 goal season, nor a 50 point season, and he's only 2 years younger than Kesler.

No thanks. The Canucks would get fleeced in this deal losing two bonafide all-stars for Leaf garbage.
I remembering watching the World Juniors when he was on the team and all the hype was on him. Sure he put up 8 points in 6 games, but playing on the top line for Team Canada he should have had more. I just remembering every time he went for a slapshot he would whiff. He has a decent wristshot but no slapper. I don't want him anywhere near the Canucks.

canadianmagpie is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 AM
  #103
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Scheider replaced Luongo in game 3 right? I am pretty sure the canucks still planned on winning the series. If the switch came in game 4 you would have a good theory
Sorry, why does this change anything? I never suggested that they were trying to lose the series, just that they saw an opportunity to dramatically increase the value of Schnieder. It is possible to do two things at the same time. I don't think that anyone really predicted that Lou would come out of the dressing room and offer himself up for trade. The heat of the moment has passed long ago, now everyone just wants what's best for the team.

Here's some questions then for the Schneider supporters, why aren't you pissed that we didn't lock him up long term? What does the team do when he demands a long term $7-8 million dollar contract in 2 1/2 years and is 30 years old? If he keeps putting up the kind of #'s that he has someone will certainly want to make him the best paid goalie in hockey.

Or worse yet, what if he doesn't earn that kind of contract and the pressure turns him into an average goalie? How will he deal with playing 60+ games? He as only done that once in his entire career, and that was not exactly a statistically eye popping season.

What if he can't win in the playoffs? He had a trip to the Calder Cup, in the first period of the elimination game he gave up three goals on fifteen shots, that's the kind of big game 'choking' that Lou has been criticized for, except that Lou usually waits till the third period. We don't know that any more about him than we did when Lou arrived here.

That's a lot of 'what ifs' right?

A good GM minimizes risk and maximizes return, it would be impossible to do that with a Lou trade, in fact trading Lou is the complete opposite.

Whale is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 04:08 AM
  #104
Yossarian54
Registered User
 
Yossarian54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Kadri is a Bust. Supposedly an offensive player, and not even top 50 in AHL scoring.
Look I agree with you about everything else, but I struggle to understand this reasoning. Look at the games played.

Kadri is near enough makes no difference PPG in the AHL, including playoffs. That is something neither Hodgson nor Schroeder have even looked like doing. It's not like he's old either, same age as Schroeder and Kassian. Calling Kadri a bust is equivalent to calling Kassian a bust.

Yossarian54 is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
  #105
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
Look I agree with you about everything else, but I struggle to understand this reasoning. Look at the games played.

Kadri is near enough makes no difference PPG in the AHL, including playoffs. That is something neither Hodgson nor Schroeder have even looked like doing. It's not like he's old either, same age as Schroeder and Kassian. Calling Kadri a bust is equivalent to calling Kassian a bust.
Why do we keep talking about freaking Toronto. Luongo is not going to waive his NTC to go there. Would you go from the best team in the league to Toronto? He's going to say the right things in the media because he doesn't want to offend Nonis and Burke, they did a lot for him getting him out of FLA, but lets just stop drinking the kool-aid that Toronto fans are offering here, its never going to happen.

Whale is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  #106
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Potato
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,982
vCash: 50
It's funny what two years can change.
Kadri and Colborne were once thought of as top prospects, now they're likely to be busts.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #107
Catamarca Livin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Sorry, why does this change anything? I never suggested that they were trying to lose the series, just that they saw an opportunity to dramatically increase the value of Schnieder. It is possible to do two things at the same time. I don't think that anyone really predicted that Lou would come out of the dressing room and offer himself up for trade. The heat of the moment has passed long ago, now everyone just wants what's best for the team.

Here's some questions then for the Schneider supporters, why aren't you pissed that we didn't lock him up long term? What does the team do when he demands a long term $7-8 million dollar contract in 2 1/2 years and is 30 years old? If he keeps putting up the kind of #'s that he has someone will certainly want to make him the best paid goalie in hockey.

Or worse yet, what if he doesn't earn that kind of contract and the pressure turns him into an average goalie? How will he deal with playing 60+ games? He as only done that once in his entire career, and that was not exactly a statistically eye popping season.

What if he can't win in the playoffs? He had a trip to the Calder Cup, in the first period of the elimination game he gave up three goals on fifteen shots, that's the kind of big game 'choking' that Lou has been criticized for, except that Lou usually waits till the third period. We don't know that any more about him than we did when Lou arrived here.

That's a lot of 'what ifs' right?

A good GM minimizes risk and maximizes return, it would be impossible to do that with a Lou trade, in fact trading Lou is the complete opposite.
You are suggesting the Canucks went with Schneider in order to showcase him. You do not do that in game 3. They played him because he gave them the best chance to win. That is why he will be staying while Luongo will be traded, because he gives them the best chance to win. Contenders do not trade their best goalie because the return will be higher. We will trade Luongo because management thinks Schneider is better. You think all the Luongo trade rumors are made up. Luongo must be in on the plan as well saying he will waive his no trade. Also since when is a three year contract no commitment? Perhaps Schneider did not want to sign for longer at that rate? It takes two if Schneider plays great for three years the Canucks will have no problem paying him and Schneider will likely have no problem signing.

Catamarca Livin is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  #108
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
It's funny what two years can change.
Kadri and Colborne were once thought of as top prospects, now they're likely to be busts.
This is silly.

There are valid reasons to be skeptical about both of these prospects but neither is even close to being written off as a bust.

Kadri has been moderately successful as a pro and Colborne was known to be a major project when he was selected.. if neither is in the NHL within a couple years then its probably time to wonder whether they ever will.

(Just so nobody gets confused I would be pretty unhappy with a Luongo trade centred around one of those players.)

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
  #109
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
I just want this saga over and to move on

Crows* is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  #110
Lundface
Registered User
 
Lundface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,254
vCash: 50
I would use Kassian with the Sedins a bit in training camp to see if he can hold his own. He has good passing, and works well downlow. However the reason I don't see it working now, and maybe never, is Kassian doesn't have the greatest work rate. To keep up with the Sedins you need to be constantly moving, reading the play and adjusting to the Sedins next move. Something Burrows does very well. He knows exactly when to attack certain areas in the slot and its the reason he can convert so well with them.

Schroeder in my opinion is a player that thrives when he is gifted space...hence why he does well when playing with good players. I have no doubt in his abilities ( passing very good, a very good shot) he just doesn't have the killer instinct to do things on his own. I would look to insulate him with players that are strong on the puck and can hold onto it and attract defenders. Yeah we don't have the skill to surround him( Jensen looks to be an ideal linemate for him) but might as well give him the best opportunity possible.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Booth Lapierre Raymond
Weise Malholtra Kassian

If Malhotra is back to normal, I'd use him on the third line instead

The only other thing I'd try is

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Schroeder Higgins
Raymond Malholtra Hansen
Weise Lapierre Kassian

Lundface is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
  #111
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Scheider replaced Luongo in game 3 right? I am pretty sure the canucks still planned on winning the series. If the switch came in game 4 you would have a good theory
Canucks were so done! Flattest playoff appearance of the post Naslund era, by far!

On another topic, Cody Bass has become a waiver wire name and I nominate him for fourth line center. He is an energy guy and is fully visioned.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  #112
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Canucks were so done! Flattest playoff appearance of the post Naslund era, by far!

On another topic, Cody Bass has become a waiver wire name and I nominate him for fourth line center. He is an energy guy and is fully visioned.
CoHo now Bass, orcas love eating cody's

KidCanuck* is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:49 PM
  #113
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
CoHo now Bass, orcas love eating cody's
Is this why everybody is so bummer about fish-tric

*knee slap*.........................................*han gs head in shame*

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
  #114
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post
Is this why everybody is so bummer about fish-tric

*knee slap*.........................................*han gs head in shame*

shortshorts is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
  #115
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
just that they saw an opportunity to dramatically increase the value of Schnieder.
If Gillis and AV were thinking about anything other than winning the series at that point (and actually letting that guide their actions), they should be canned.

Fat Tony is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
  #116
BannedFromCDC
Registered User
 
BannedFromCDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
To Toronto Maple Leafs
Roberto Luongo
David Booth
Mason Raymond
2013 2nd

To Vancouver Canucks
Clarke MacArthur
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarson

BannedFromCDC is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
  #117
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
To Toronto Maple Leafs
Roberto Luongo
David Booth
Mason Raymond
2013 2nd

To Vancouver Canucks
Clarke MacArthur
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarson
blech

Booth & 2nd more or less = MacArthur and Kadri
then its Luongo and Raymond for Bozak and Gunnarsson?

take out Booth, the 2nd and MacA, and add a 1st from the leafs and it's tolerable.

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
  #118
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
To Toronto Maple Leafs
Roberto Luongo
David Booth
Mason Raymond
2013 2nd

To Vancouver Canucks
Clarke MacArthur
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarson
Terrible. Is there any way we can add more for that heaping pile of mediocrity?

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
  #119
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Lets Talk Philly

How about we double down with Philly in a trade and go with

Vancouver

Briere
Coutorier
Bryzgalov ( to be bought out, or traded to the Leafs )

Philly

Luongo
Edler

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
  #120
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
To Toronto Maple Leafs
Roberto Luongo
David Booth
Mason Raymond
2013 2nd

To Vancouver Canucks
Clarke MacArthur
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarson
I think we need to give up Edler to get all those studs. It's a clear Cup with those additions.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
  #121
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
Lets Talk Philly

How about we double down with Philly in a trade and go with

Vancouver

Briere
Coutorier
Bryzgalov ( to be bought out, or traded to the Leafs )

Philly

Luongo
Edler

JanBulisPiggyBack is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
  #122
BannedFromCDC
Registered User
 
BannedFromCDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post
Lets Talk Philly

How about we double down with Philly in a trade and go with

Vancouver

Briere
Coutorier
Bryzgalov ( to be bought out, or traded to the Leafs )

Philly

Luongo
Edler
That leaves us with 3 top 4 d-men....

BannedFromCDC is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  #123
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think we need to give up Edler to get all those studs. It's a clear Cup with those additions.
Calder Cup!

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
  #124
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
To Toronto Maple Leafs
Roberto Luongo
David Booth
Mason Raymond
2013 2nd

To Vancouver Canucks
Clarke MacArthur
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Carl Gunnarson
Proposals like that should get you bannedfromhfboards

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
  #125
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedFromCDC View Post
That leaves us with 3 top 4 d-men....
Your proposal leaves us with a steaming pile of ****.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.