01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Im talking about being worried about losing our superstars
With all due respect to Burke, part of the reason Anaheim is in the position it is right now is because of the position Burke left Anaheim in when he let. Murray, whether I like him or not as a GM, has had to do a lot of clean-up work.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm sorry, but where is the evidence of that?
You're trying too hard

Old
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
You're trying too hard
Sure, let's not let facts get in the way here, right? Burke is your Messiah. Not only would he guarantee everyone we want to stay, stay, but he'd cure the injured, draft only the very best, and he'd crap sunshine and rainbows.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
With all due respect to Burke, part of the reason Anaheim is in the position it is right now is because of the position Burke left Anaheim in when he let. Murray, whether I like him or not as a GM, has had to do a lot of clean-up work.
He left them in a just find position he gets the blame for the 2 veterans who couldn't make up their mind about playing? They are in a fine position now as well with a competent gm btw

Old
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
He left them in a just find position he gets the blame for the 2 veterans who couldn't make up their mind about playing? They are in a fine position now as well with a competent gm btw
Interesting. So, it's not his fault that two veterans considered retirement? How is that any different from a player contemplating UFA status? Ultimately, it's what the player wants.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Interesting. So, it's not his fault that two veterans considered retirement? How is that any different from a player contemplating UFA status? Ultimately, it's what the player wants.
Most players want to know that the franchise they play for will be competitive
Something that happened under Burke
Are you forgetting how Ryan was treated last year and even made a public statement?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Most players want to know that the franchise they play for will be competitive
Something that happened under Burke
Are you forgetting how Ryan was treated last year and even made a public statement?
And when Burke left the franchise was already headed for a decline... so what changes? Maybe you can remind me who Burke is GM'ing for right now? Did you see the Kessel trade? That type of impatience is exactly what Anaheim didn't need. Oh sure, I've been less than happy about things Murray has done too, but I'd be lying to myself if I said Anaheim wasn't at least headed in the right direction.

How Ryan was treated? You mean the trade rumors? Yeah. I feel bad for the guy. Making millions a year, but God forbid he be talked about on twitter... it's not like other professional athletes go through the same thing.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I agree! All 3 would have been signed long term. This is just bs
What the **** are you talking about? Burke would not have signed them all to 8 year deals. Murray and him were in lockstep on contract term.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Murray can't negotiate with Ryan until he's on the last year of his contract. It's at that point that they can start talking extension. As for Getzlaf and Perry, I'd be happy to see them signed long-term. Like Murray said, they're winners, and the chemistry they have together is undeniable. Unlike Fowler, who wasn't going to be looking at that type of contract, neither Perry or Getzlaf were going to be signed before the new CBA, because the changes to it were expected to benefit Anaheim. If the Ducks were a team like Philly or New York where money is no object, I expect things would have been different, since those longer term, bloated contracts are exactly what part of the CBA addresses.
Well I think most of us knew Perry Getz and Ryan were winners since there first couple NHL seasons. I'm just disappointed that they weren't signed long term earlier. If we locked up them on last contract negotiations this thread wouldn't of been created. That's just my point of view.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
What's your point of this post? And evidence?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
And when Burke left the franchise was already headed for a decline... so what changes? Maybe you can remind me who Burke is GM'ing for right now? Did you see the Kessel trade? That type of impatience is exactly what Anaheim didn't need. Oh sure, I've been less than happy about things Murray has done too, but I'd be lying to myself if I said Anaheim wasn't at least headed in the right direction.

How Ryan was treated? You mean the trade rumors? Yeah. I feel bad for the guy. Making millions a year, but God forbid he be talked about on twitter... it's not like other professional athletes go through the same thing.
Torontos in a worst position than we are. Kessel is still a stud player all they lost was Seguin. Besides a few bad signings with Dead Weight he brought us Bobby Ryan who was a crapshoot 2nd overall. Guess what? he's panned out and might be the only first line player signed after this season.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Torontos in a worst position than we are. Kessel is still a stud player all they lost was Seguin. Besides a few bad signings with Dead Weight he brought us Bobby Ryan who was a crapshoot 2nd overall. Guess what? he's panned out and might be the only first line player signed after this season.
Yes, Toronto is in a worse position than we are... still. Get it?

Kessel might be a stud, but personally, I'd put my money on Seguin and Hamilton having a greater influence.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What the **** are you talking about? Burke would not have signed them all to 8 year deals. Murray and him were in lockstep on contract term.
Ehhh tomato tomatoe on this perspective.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
What's your point of this post? And evidence?
The last couple of years are evidence.

Burke wasn't some flawless deity in Anaheim. He made plenty of mistakes, Ducksgo. Yes, I'd say the good outweighed the bad in the long-term, but a Stanley Cup kind of does that, doesn't it? That being said, Burke wasn't able to just make things happen at the snap of his fingers, and some of his best moves were rather fortuitous. Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne come immediately to mind. Not to mention Pronger demanding a trade out of Edmonton, and Anaheim having the assets(assets gathered under Bryan Murray) to do something about it.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Well I think most of us knew Perry Getz and Ryan were winners since there first couple NHL seasons. I'm just disappointed that they weren't signed long term earlier. If we locked up them on last contract negotiations this thread wouldn't of been created. That's just my point of view.
Who said anything about Ryan being a winner? His name isn't written on the Cup. There is no gold medal hanging from his mantle.

Signing them long-term before the new CBA would have been the height of stupidity, unless they(being Getzlaf and Perry) were feeling very generous. One of the biggest goals of the new CBA was to limit the length of contracts, and reduce the amount you could front or backload a contract. Those only benefit Anaheim. What, you expected Murray to give them retirement contracts? And just how was Murray going to sign Ryan to one, when he isn't eligible for a new contract? You'd have given Ryan a retirement contract for his first real contract?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Ehhh tomato tomatoe on this perspective.
I...what...

Old
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I...what...
Remind me, Exit. What was the longest contract Burke signed a player to in Anaheim? Five years?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Remind me, Exit. What was the longest contract Burke signed a player to in Anaheim? Five years?
I believe so. He also testified against the Devils over Kovalchuk's contract, and he was one of the key figures pushing for term limits.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I believe so. He also testified against the Devils over Kovalchuk's contract, and he was one of the key figures pushing for term limits.
That's what I thought. Sounds an awful lot like Murray, and the contracts he's given out.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Yes, Toronto is in a worse position than we are... still. Get it?

Kessel might be a stud, but personally, I'd put my money on Seguin and Hamilton having a greater influence.
This thread is starting to be a Brian Burke thread so ill just stop. The point is our top line should of been signed long term last contract negotiations. I have a feeling Getz will be locked up, but Perry I'm on the fence about. Losing Selanne and Koivu and one of the twins all in the same year should have fans worried. Just sayin

Old
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
This thread is starting to be a Brian Burke thread so ill just stop. The point is our top line should of been signed long term last contract negotiations. I have a feeling Getz will be locked up, but Perry I'm on the fence about. Losing Selanne and Koivu and one of the twins all in the same year should have fans worried. Just sayin
The last contract negotiations for Getzlaf and Perry were under Burke.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Paul4587

30 thoughts touches on the Getzlaf/Perry situation and also where all sides stood pre lockout.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
RPGrizzly

vCash: 942
It's pretty hard to find players under contract for 5-8 years max who are around the same age as Getzlaf and Perry and have accomplished as much as they have, when they signed their contracts. For example, Toews signed his current contract before he won his Cup, Conn Smythe, and Olympic Gold. Kopitar signed his before winning the Cup. The Sedins signed their contracts before winning their Art Ross', Hart (Henrik) and Lindsay (Daniel), although they did have Olympic Golds when they signed. Getzlaf and Perry could easily demand more money than those players. Two comparables that stick out to me are Eric Staal for Getzlaf and Nash for Perry.

Staal is on a 7 year, $57.75 million deal that he signed when he was only 23, but had a Cup and WC Gold to his name. He was already a top center in the game, with a 100 point season to prove it. His cap hit is $8.25 million and is earning over $9 million in the last three years of the deal. I could see Getzlaf's contract being similar to this, but he has more leverage Staal had when he got his deal, being captain, 4 years older, and an Olympic Gold which Staal didn't have at the time.

Nash is on an 8 year, 62.4M contract, was 25 when he signed and other than winning a Richard trophy, accomplished nothing in the NHL. Had won a WC Gold but signed his contract before winning gold in 2010. He was however the face of a struggling franchise who were basically forced to give him whatever he wanted. Perry could also demand equal or more money than Nash got.

I could see both Getzlaf and Perry wanting upwards of $60-65 million over 8 years. There's a good chance someone is willing to pay $60 over 7 for these guys in free agency. If they settle for a cap hit of around 7.5 for the Ducks, I'd be happy. Could easily get upwards of 8 though.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Why is it Murray's fault then Getz/Pears aren't under a new long term deal.

Did I miss something about the lockout for the last few months or something?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrizzly View Post
It's pretty hard to find players under contract for 5-8 years max who are around the same age as Getzlaf and Perry and have accomplished as much as they have, when they signed their contracts. For example, Toews signed his current contract before he won his Cup, Conn Smythe, and Olympic Gold. Kopitar signed his before winning the Cup. The Sedins signed their contracts before winning their Art Ross', Hart (Henrik) and Lindsay (Daniel), although they did have Olympic Golds when they signed. Getzlaf and Perry could easily demand more money than those players. Two comparables that stick out to me are Eric Staal for Getzlaf and Nash for Perry.

Staal is on a 7 year, $57.75 million deal that he signed when he was only 23, but had a Cup and WC Gold to his name. He was already a top center in the game, with a 100 point season to prove it. His cap hit is $8.25 million and is earning over $9 million in the last three years of the deal. I could see Getzlaf's contract being similar to this, but he has more leverage Staal had when he got his deal, being captain, 4 years older, and an Olympic Gold which Staal didn't have at the time.

Nash is on an 8 year, 62.4M contract, was 25 when he signed and other than winning a Richard trophy, accomplished nothing in the NHL. Had won a WC Gold but signed his contract before winning gold in 2010. He was however the face of a struggling franchise who were basically forced to give him whatever he wanted. Perry could also demand equal or more money than Nash got.

I could see both Getzlaf and Perry wanting upwards of $60-65 million over 8 years. There's a good chance someone is willing to pay $60 over 7 for these guys in free agency. If they settle for a cap hit of around 7.5 for the Ducks, I'd be happy. Could easily get upwards of 8 though.
My point exactly. This is what I was trying to say the whole time Soj. Perry and Getz needs to be signed to a Staal / Nash type contract. Very good post Grizzly thank you for the research!

Closed Thread