HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edler for PK Subban

Old
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Edler for PK Subban

Edler at this point is the better dman and has put up better production. Subban has not signed, so could possibly be sign of friction. Edler is UFA next year, that is another reason 1st is added, but very likely Canadiens can sign if they give a deal like Markov to Edler with more years. Subban still RFA only slightly hurts value.

Edit: after reading some responses it looked as though adding the 1st might be unfair to Vancouver. What if just a straight up trade. Edler for PK. Vancouver is overloaded in good left side defence, a young high upside right side could fit roster nicely.

Last edited by Numbers: 01-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Vancouver is in win now mode, Edler gives them a better chance to win now.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Vancouver is in win now mode, Edler gives them a better chance to win now.
This -- Not to mention Vancouver gets screwed in the deal.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Isn't your prospect pool already pretty shallow? I understand the win now mentality but at the same time a lack of higher end prospects will hurt the team later on.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Nuck This

I'd rather keep and sign Edler, thanks.

Nuck This is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Don't know why the Canucks make this trade. There's a very real possibility Subban will be more expensive than Edler and he's not really better... probably equalish'?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
blankall

The only reason I can think for the Canucks trading Edler is that he has made it clear he wants to hit the UFA market. In which, case he is a rental.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

Canadiens have to add.

HankTheTankYoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
No way.

Canucks fans have to stop throwing him into every proposal. Seriously, he's a borderline #1 dman, we have no reason to trade him.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Isn't your prospect pool already pretty shallow? I understand the win now mentality but at the same time a lack of higher end prospects will hurt the team later on.
It's easier to find high end defenseman through free agency and in the mid level draft picks. ex. Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Tanev and Corrado just to name Canucks, than it is to find high end forwards at free agency and mid levels picks. I'm happy with our forward prospects but were missing high end defensive prospects but I don't see that as a problem.

Nuck This is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolundasweden View Post
Canadiens have to add.
LMAO.

48 games of Edler + a LOW 1st round pick for P.K. Subban? Is that a joke?

What happens when Edler walks at the end of the season? We just traded PK Subban for a low 1st.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Doesn't make sense for either team.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
LMAO.

48 games of Edler + a LOW 1st round pick for P.K. Subban? Is that a joke?

What happens when Edler walks at the end of the season? We just traded PK Subban for a low 1st.
What happens if Subban dont sign with Vancouver? They have thrown away Edler + 1st for nothing.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
StringerBell

I'd do it. I like Edler, but I love PK.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
What happens if Subban dont sign with Vancouver? They have thrown away Edler + 1st for nothing.
Subban is a RFA (Restricted Free Agent), if you cannot manage to sign him, you keep his rights and his rights are tradeable to another team.

New to NHL??

Old
01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

Quote:
Subban is a RFA (Restricted Free Agent), if you cannot manage to sign him, you keep his rights and his rights are tradeable to another team.

New to NHL??
Nope im not new to NHL, i just cant see why to risk Edler who will resign in Nucks + a 1st even if its low.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Nope im not new to NHL, i just cant see why to risk Edler who will resign in Nucks + a 1st even if its low.
Yes but why would the Habs risk trading a younger player in Subban for a guy who might leave at the end of the season? If Edler doesn't want to sign for the Habs, we just traded Subban for a 1st.

The trade for the Canucks is not as bad as you think. Edler is better than Subban right now but Subban is younger and could end up being your best defenseman in 2-3 years.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Yes but why would the Habs risk trading a younger player in Subban for a guy who might leave at the end of the season? If Edler doesn't want to sign for the Habs, we just traded Subban for a 1st.

The trade for the Canucks is not as bad as you think. Edler is better than Subban right now but Subban is younger and could end up being your best defenseman in 2-3 years.
That might only be true because we traded Edler. Not to mention the 1st might very easily end up skewing the value towards Montreal in the long-run.

I get you have worries that you might not be able to re-sign Edler. It's still a huge overpayment from our POV. No way do we trade the best player in the deal, and then add.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

Quote:

Meh im not a fan of this, Canadiens keeps Subban, and Nucks keeps Edler

Old
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
That might only be true because we traded Edler. Not to mention the 1st might very easily end up skewing the value towards Montreal in the long-run.

I get you have worries that you might not be able to re-sign Edler. It's still a huge overpayment from our POV. No way do we trade the best player in the deal, and then add.
Trades are evaluated by player values, not player skill. As good as Edler is, he is not worth PK Subban in his current contract situation. If he was signed long-term, yes he would be worth more.

You can't expect to trade an older, soon-to-be UFA, Edler for a younger, RFA, PK Subban with loads of potential without having to add. I mean, what GM would trade away our best defenseman for 48 games of a great defenseman in Edler?

And plus, a late first rounder is really not worth that much. Look at all the past first rounders drafted from 20-30, good players but few GREAT players with Subban potential.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This -- Not to mention Vancouver gets screwed in the deal.
Is that sarcasm? I can never tell on this board, unless posters use a smilie.

Anyway, I can't see any circumstances, where Montreal trades 22 yr old Subban for an impending ufa.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Trades are evaluated by player values, not player skill. As good as Edler is, he is not worth PK Subban in his current contract situation. If he was signed long-term, yes he would be worth more.

You can't expect to trade an older, soon-to-be UFA, Edler for a younger, RFA, PK Subban with loads of potential without having to add. I mean, what GM would trade away our best defenseman for 48 games of a great defenseman in Edler?

And plus, a late first rounder is really not worth that much. Look at all the past first rounders drafted from 20-30, good players but few GREAT players with Subban potential.
It works both ways. You can't expect to trade a young player for a better player+(who's only like 3 years older), regardless of contract status.

Now I know a Canucks fan started this thread, but this is an absolutely terrible trade for us that makes us worse now and in the future.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Don't know why the Canucks make this trade. There's a very real possibility Subban will be more expensive than Edler and he's not really better... probably equalish'?
Well - Subban is 4 years from UFA eligibility, whereas Edler is 1 year from UFA eligibility. There is ZERO chance that MON trades one year of Edler for at least 4 years of Subban. That being said - Edler is more consistent and a better player right now, which is the window that VAN would be looking at.

A late 1st rounder would not incent me to give up on the 3 "extra" years that MON would be sacrificing in this deal. Understand that VAN wouldn't do the deal, but there is no say MON does it from my perspective.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It works both ways. You can't expect to trade a young player for a better player+(who's only like 3 years older), regardless of contract status.

Now I know a Canucks fan started this thread, but this is an absolutely terrible trade for us that makes us worse now and in the future.
????? Why do we disregard contract status when it's very relevant to trade values?

Edler is better than Subban right now but the difference isn't as much as you think. Subban has the potential (imo) to be just as good as Edler while also bringing a physical game.