HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting to increase dramatically this year?

Old
01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Team toughness is about the least worrysome aspect of this team. There's a reason so many other teams have gone out and snagged players to bulk up and the reason?????? To answer to a team like our boys.

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
meanwhile nobody has answered how fighting actually results in wins

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
I think somebody listed the Bruins record a couple years back in games they fought where as games they didn't... Generally when a couple of players fight the players seem to be more emotionally invested which leads to more hustle, which may lead to more goals... Could be coincedental as well. Who knows.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Right, because God knows the Bruins don't have enough guys who can fight.

You would rather not have the concussion history guys fight like Horton and McQuaid, or the vital cogs like Looch and Chara.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Fighting sells tickets, and there's plenty of seats for sale throughout the league.

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
WBC8

Quote:

Game was 3-0 Ducks, start fo the third before this happened...and the Wild came back to win.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Fire Julien

Chara is 36, no way I want him fighting unless he jumps someone to enforce.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I think the answer is who cares about the game as long as you win the fight? Yeah baby! We may have gotten smoked on the scoreboard, but we kicked their ***** in fights!!

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
You would rather not have the concussion history guys fight like Horton and McQuaid, or the vital cogs like Looch and Chara.
That doesn't mean you waste a roster spot (or two!) on a "goon." Let Buffalo do that. There isn't a player on the Bruins who's the equivalent of a Sedin and unable to stand up for himself. They don't have to be fighters per se - Krejci, Boychuk, Paille, Bergeron, Kelly, Peverly, those guys aren't fighters. But they're certainly not pushovers.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Maybe we'll see Bergy drop someone again? I want to see Seguin drop em this year.

I may be in the minority but I'm not worried if Horton fights.

Oh and if Scott goes near anyone not named Thornton, Lucic or Chara he's not going to like what happens.
I'm not worried about horton either.. I think he'd have to get smacked pretty hard to get another concussion during a fight. Not saying it couldn't happen but i think thats avoided if he doesn't fight a good legit heavyweight. And agreed about scott. I can see ott or kaleta trying to take a run at someone. And if its tuukka and chara, and looch or the 4th line is on the ice that will get crazy.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
WBC8

Quote:
That doesn't mean you waste a roster spot (or two!) on a "goon." Let Buffalo do that. There isn't a player on the Bruins who's the equivalent of a Sedin and unable to stand up for himself. They don't have to be fighters per se - Krejci, Boychuk, Paille, Bergeron, Kelly, Peverly, those guys aren't fighters. But they're certainly not pushovers.
Not saying to do that, but maybe but Paille up to the third line and dress MacDermid in these kinds of games..

Old
01-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Not saying to do that, but maybe but Paille up to the third line and dress MacDermid in these kinds of games..
I was going back to the response I made to CB (aka... God I've forgotten how many user names he's gone through). I can't see the Bruins making any changes to their roster because they're facing so-called tough teams. There is no team in the NHL tougher than the Bruins.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I was going back to the response I made to CB (aka... God I've forgotten how many user names he's gone through). I can't see the Bruins making any changes to their roster because they're facing so-called tough teams. There is no team in the NHL tougher than the Bruins.
We need a 9th and 13th forward. I would guess it's Bourque and MacDermid. When Buffalo comes in the 31st, they are there to make a statement. Scratching Bourque, elevating Paille and dressing MacDermid is the smart thing to do IMO. Can the Bruins handle themselves? Or course, but why not let MacDermid deal with the dbags instead of a regular? It's a short season.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
We need a 9th and 13th forward. I would guess it's Bourque and MacDermid. When Buffalo comes in the 31st, they are there to make a statement. Scratching Bourque, elevating Paille and dressing MacDermid is the smart thing to do IMO. Can the Bruins handle themselves? Or course, but why not let MacDermid deal with the dbags instead of a regular? It's a short season.
Maybe it'll happen but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't think the Buffalo Sabres are going to make the Bruins change their lineup.

Really, I think as fans sometimes we don't realize what outsiders see when they look at the Bruins. It's like having a really big brother, and forgetting just how intimidating he is, because we see him hanging around the house and sleeping late and eating cereal out of the box. Whereas a stranger sees him and says "My God, that guy is AWESOME!"

Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Save By Thomas
I Rep That West

Quote:
Really, I think as fans sometimes we don't realize what outsiders see when they look at the Bruins. It's like having a really big brother, and forgetting just how intimidating he is, because we see him hanging around the house and sleeping late and eating cereal out of the box. Whereas a stranger sees him and says "My God, that guy is AWESOME!"
Or they could just see the Bruins the way we as Bruins fans see other teams..............just a bunch of A-holes on skates.

Last edited by Save By Thomas: 01-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Save By Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

why does everyone leave out Bergeron when talking about fights. That south paw fighting style of his really works.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Sugah is suddenly too old to fight?

Colt, I know you love a good scuffle, but I think you're putting too much stock into this. I'm glad to see teams go out of their way to decrease skill in order to gain toughness. That's what makes the Bruins such a dangerous team, their tough guys have skill.

Sir Richard 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Richard 37 View Post
Sugah is suddenly too old to fight?

Colt, I know you love a good scuffle, but I think you're putting too much stock into this. I'm glad to see teams go out of their way to decrease skill in order to gain toughness. That's what makes the Bruins such a dangerous team, their tough guys have skill.
I think maybe adding Parros, Westgarth, Scott and McIntrye for 11 games this year is a little tough for Thornton and asking him to go it alone may be selfish on our part. That's not even counting Erskine, Shelley. Rupp, Barch, Prust..those dooshers. MacDermid could get some time and I hope he does, but he's outmatched too against the bigger guys. The Bruins obviously could always say no to these goons, but that's generally not their style. Will be fun, that's for sure. Boogaard and King et all fizzled out the last time teams stocked up, so lets see this time.

Last edited by WBC8: 01-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Maybe it'll happen but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't think the Buffalo Sabres are going to make the Bruins change their lineup.

According to many members of hockeyfights.com we have a bunch of spot pickers and psuedo tough guys.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Leaving aside the "momentum change/get the guys charged up" argument, I think there's something to be said for fighting promoting team solidarity. When you know a guy's going to drop the gloves for you (hello Andrew Ference) I think it strengths bonds, and makes you feel you can depend on him in other situations too. That's not a factor in every sport, but it is in hockey.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
According to many members of hockeyfights.com we have a bunch of spot pickers and psuedo tough guys.
Totally unbiased source there.

There are to this day Habs fans who insist that Lucic is afraid of Laraque and Chara is a monster who routinely kills people. It's hilarious.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
That because our fighters are tough-as-nails, smart hockey players who can take regular shifts and succeed at the game. I'd prefer they pick the fights, and I would like to see anyone confront them one-on-one and call them "pseudo tough guys".

Ever had your @zz kicked by a "pseudo tough guy"?

Not directed at you, WBC8.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
hopkinsj31

The MacIntyre to the leafs thing was apparently a sham. So that's one less meathead to worry about.

The thing that I find with Thornton is that no matter who he is fighting, he generally doesn't lose fights. He fought a league leading 20 times last year, so no one should really expect him or anyone else to fight much more than 12-14 times.

It's not like someone is going to have to fight John Scott 5 times this year, Parros 3, and Westgarth 3. And that's assuming they dress in every game against the Bruins. Even if they drop the gloves in half the games against Boston(absolute worst case scenario), I'm sure Thorny/Looch/Chara/McQuaid can handle 5 fights against those guys.

Of all the things to worry about with this team, having to fight a few ogres should be the least of it.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Take a gander at the fight section on here... Its hilarious. I agree with what you said. No way should thornton have to carry the load when it comes to fight goons. I think some teams are gonna ice a goon in a situation that calls for a fight against looch's line or possibly the 3rd line to try and start something. When that happens the game will dissolve into a donnybrook.. which i'll be glad too see haha.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:28 PM
WBC8

[QUOTE=hopkinsj31;57587903]The MacIntyre to the leafs thing was apparently a sham. So that's one less meathead to worry about.

The thing that I find with Thornton is that no matter who he is fighting, he generally doesn't lose fights. He fought a league leading 20 times last year, so no one should really expect him or anyone else to fight much more than 12-14 times.

It's not like someone is going to have to fight John Scott 5 times this year, Parros 3, and Westgarth 3. And that's assuming they dress in every game against the Bruins. Even if they drop the gloves in half the games against Boston(absolute worst case scenario), I'm sure Thorny/Looch/Chara/McQuaid can handle 5 fights against those guys.

Of all the things to worry about with this team, having to fight a few ogres should be the least of it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, there really isn't much to worry about with this team.!