HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
And that salary stipulations is rumored to be 2 years 10m. The out states that his NHL compensation has to pay more, it is unknown that if a 3 year 11-12m deal would allow the Russian deal to be broken at this point.
Any actual numbers with a source or all just rumors?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Any actual numbers with a source or all just rumors?
All rumors... Seems about right with what he is rumored to be asking for. At minimum it makes a 3 years deal surpass the ~3.25-3.5 per year mark.

One situation similar to this is the Hudler one in Detroit a few years ago. Hudler got 2 years 10m to play in the KHL. If he got that, ROR could easily haven gotten that amount.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
The mere mention that Colorado has to pay AT LEAST what his KHL deal is is whats the problem.

He's basically telling the avs the minimum hes willing to accept, regardless of what their offers are.

The 2 year deal is not a problem without the salary stipulation.
Why would he be worth less to Colorado than his KHL team? It's an interesting negotiating tactic, assuming he's not bluffing.

"Look, here's another employer who's willing to pay me $X. Now, I'd rather work for you, so I'm giving you the chance to match."

Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Why would he be worth less to Colorado than his KHL team? It's an interesting negotiating tactic, assuming he's not bluffing.

"Look, here's another employer who's willing to pay me $X. Now, I'd rather work for you, so I'm giving you the chance to match."
There are many factors in that discussion. How much cap space both team has if one major factor. And how big his role is in the KHL compared to in the NHL, and how many centers Colorado has compared to Metallurg etc etc etc but most importantly I dont think the Metallurg have to worry about the cap at all with O'Reilly. I'm pretty sure they do have a cap system but you are allowed to have three "high salary"-players who doesnt count towards the cap or something like that.

And dont forget that the taxes for hockeyplayers in the KHL are way lower than in the NHL. Even if he earns less money on paper, he probably end up with more money there.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There is no reason to think O'Reilly is anything but a good guy. It should be evident from how his coaches and team mates speak about him.

Stop reading stuff into what is a business negotiation. If a couple a years from now it turns out he hurt himself and Avs in these negotiations, you might make the case for him screwing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen here. Yes, O'Reilly's actions were all just an act and now his true side is coming out. This whole contract situation has much more to do with Don Meehan than O'Reilly, I can't believe people are coming up with such outlandish remarks to try to hurt a players reputation. (most of the still unsigned RFAs are represented my Meehan).
Thank you.

By the way, I never stated that any of those things were actually FACTS or that I believed them but that I was putting it all up to QUESTION.

These are the questions I'm now asking myself about this player since he's the only NHLer to try and leverage a KHL contract against a potential NHL one. I'm not sure it's as far fetched as some of you seem to believe.

The facts are this: the longer this goes, the better the chances are that this won't end well for his future, long-term in Colorado.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The facts are this: the longer this goes, the better the chances are that this won't end well for his future, long-term in Colorado.
That I think we can all agree on

Old
01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Such a shame if we can't work out a deal, I bet ROR wanted to be captain. Also that he wants a larger role on this team but that's just speculation. Either way losing our center depth that we built this team around is going to suck if it happens. Seeing that there's still a bunch of other rfas out there we still should be optimistic that something will be done. I wouldn't be able to stomach losing ROR even if its for a Yandle or Kulikov.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
And that salary stipulations is rumored to be 2 years 10m. The out states that his NHL compensation has to pay more, it is unknown that if a 3 year 11-12m deal would allow the Russian deal to be broken at this point.
I think we can pretty much guarantee thats not possible.

I dont see how the avs would hesitate to sign him at 3 years and 3.4 million per.

It maintains RFA status and it puts him on a reasonable contract if they want to trade him. In in fact its 2yrs 10M, he will require 5M per minimum.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

Because comparing an NHL worth is completely different to KHL worth. The KHL has been known to give ridiculously lucrative contracts to NHL players to entice them to stay in the KHL. Wasnt Jagr making over 10M per while here hes making under 5?

Its not a negotiating tactic when you force your employer a minimum.

Not only does he put a stranglehold on the contract negotiations, he also reduces, in part, the teams ability to get full value for him in a trade.

If the avs let him stay in the KHL, it just further devalues his nhl worth, and the notion of his ability to play as effectively in the NHL creep up the longer he stays there.

If he indeed needs any amount over 4M for him to come back, hes completely lost touch with reality and overpriced himself.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
TheStranger

I just keep hoping each time I refresh this page I'll see

O'Reilly signs 4 years 15 million.

And then we'll all laugh about how this situation was blown out of proportion and we'll be in love with ROR again.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
KraftD

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I just keep hoping each time I refresh this page I'll see

O'Reilly signs 4 years 15 million.

And then we'll all laugh about how this situation was blown out of proportion and we'll be in love with ROR again.
I'm pretty much here since 8am this morning pressing refresh on an average of 10 times an hour...

Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Metallurg Magnitogorsk, the KHL team that O'Reilly plays for, is paying the 21-year-old forward a prorated $4-million US to play in Russia this year.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

O'Reilly getting a prorated $4m for the rest of this season in KHL. Probably the next season as well.... Sounds like he set himself up to get $4+ per year.

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...medium=twitter

Old
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
O'Reilly getting a prorated $4m for the rest of this season in KHL. Probably the next season as well.... Sounds like he set himself up to get $4+ per year.

Which he is well worth

Old
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:

Ok... Contracts are not publicly disclosed in the KHL, all reports of the amount of his contract need to be taken with a grain of salt as RUMORS.

Not saying that article is BS but it very well could be... Another report came out a while ago that is was something like 2.4M per year.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Then 4mil for 3 years is a better deal than the 4 mil for 2 years offered by KHL.

Make it happen.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
kento19
@kento19

I'd gladly match the 4m per over 2 years. He's still restricted at the end and ready to sign a new contract. Then once Duchene is our best player over the next 2 years and takes a respectable contract renewal maybe ROR can let go of some greed and take much less than Duchene will.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Goulet17

The Avs are not going to pay O'Reilly a higher annual salary than Duchene, EJ, and Landeskog (although Lando is still on his ELC).

Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Is ROR really asking for $5m/year? I just read that somewhere, sorry but that seems insane. I can fully see him getting the money he deserves and then hugely under performing, just a hunch. I'm not buying into his contract at that rate, he had one good season, that's not worth it IMO.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Because comparing an NHL worth is completely different to KHL worth. The KHL has been known to give ridiculously lucrative contracts to NHL players to entice them to stay in the KHL. Wasnt Jagr making over 10M per while here hes making under 5?
A dollar is a dollar. If O'Reilly doesn't care whether he plays in Russia or North America, then that instantly becomes his value.

Quote:
Its not a negotiating tactic when you force your employer a minimum.
If the employer is actually forced to a minimum, then it's not only a negotiating tactic, it's a highly successful one.

Quote:
Not only does he put a stranglehold on the contract negotiations, he also reduces, in part, the teams ability to get full value for him in a trade.
I disagree. It may limit the number of potential suitors, but if you're the Avs, you know that anyone interested values him as a $5M/yr player (or whatever he's asking). That means you're not getting deflated value.

Quote:
If the avs let him stay in the KHL, it just further devalues his nhl worth, and the notion of his ability to play as effectively in the NHL creep up the longer he stays there.
I disagree with this too. O'Reilly has proven his ability to play in the NHL, and it's quite clear to anybody paying attention that he's not over there for any reason but contractual ones. If GMs really thought playing in the KHL caused players to become less NHL-viable, I imagine we'd see a rather different relationship between the leagues.

Quote:
If he indeed needs any amount over 4M for him to come back, hes completely lost touch with reality and overpriced himself.
I would say the KHL (specifically his team) has overpriced him (if the rumors are correct). He has no reason not to take every penny they're willing to offer. He also has no reason not to continue taking that money as long as Magnitogorsk is still offering it (again assuming he doesn't care about playing in Russia vs North America).

Old
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
@MChambersDP:
OK here's update: Talks have NOT broken off between #Avalanche and Factor, agent Mark Guy says.
https://twitter.com/MChambersDP/stat...22389485785088

That's always a good thing......

Old
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Then 4mil for 3 years is a better deal than the 4 mil for 2 years offered by KHL.

Make it happen.
If only O'Reilly wasn't supposedly asking for 4-5 years... I get the feeling the term is as big a problem as the AAV.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

There isn't a team that will trade for O'Reilly and give him a contract for $5M/year. If O'Reilly's agent is pushing for a contract like that, it'll backfire in a big way and Ryan will have to learn to speak Russian to make his stay pleasant.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There isn't a team that will trade for O'Reilly and give him a contract for $5M/year. If O'Reilly's agent is pushing for a contract like that, it'll backfire in a big way and Ryan will have to learn to speak Russian to make his stay pleasant.
I disagree. I think there are probably a fair amount of teams that would gamble and give him that kind of contract. I don't think it's smart, but he's the kind of player GMs have a man crush on kinda like Mike Richards.

I could see Toronto or Florida giving him a deal like that, or possibly SJ or Dallas. Not sure what they have to offer to make the Avs interested though in terms of D. To me the only team out there that has something worth while that could possibly be moved is Phoenix and Yandle. I think Maloney might ask for too much in addition to ROR to make it work though.

Other than that I'd rather they just be patient and see what they can get at the deadline or possibly the draft. They might be able to include him in a package for a top pick.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 01-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
we need to get him signed ASAP. this is not a player we can afford to lose. if we traded him for a D man that would be different.
but not signing him because we get pissy over AAV contract value is insane.

Closed Thread