HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm glad to be back talking hockey, but it sounds like a lot of people never went through a training camp before. It's okay to try a few things out and see how it looks. If you don't, you aren't doing your job as a coach. Trust me.. I'll be a VERY hard critic on DB this year, but not in training camp that only lasts one freaking week.

Relax and let this season start. After 12-15 games, then we will see some things really take shape.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm glad to be back talking hockey, but it sounds like a lot of people never went through a training camp before. It's okay to try a few things out and see how it looks. If you don't, you aren't doing your job as a coach. Trust me.. I'll be a VERY hard critic on DB this year, but not in training camp that only lasts one freaking week.

Relax and let this season start. After 12-15 games, then we will see some things really take shape.
I agree Cole. I guess the lockout has made us a little crazier than usual

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Disagree Ogre...Martin is terrible on the PP. No creativity, bad pinches at the wall leading to odd-mans the other way, and his shot can't break a wet paper bag.

I'd rather have Engelland there if Despres doesn't make the team. At least he has a good shot, and he always finds a lane to get it through to the net.
I'd put Dupuis on the point before I stuck Martin there. Engelland may be a desperation move, but id agree with that over Martin. The sooner Martin's Penguin days end, the better.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Richard

Quote:

Like '94 teams arent going to have the luxury of time. I remember how long it took the Penguins to gell, honestly if that team in '94 had had more time to gell together I believe they would have gone a lot further in the playoffs.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Like '94 teams arent going to have the luxury of time. I remember how long it took the Penguins to gell, honestly if that team in '94 had had more time to gell together I believe they would have gone a lot further in the playoffs.
True but we are whining about the 2nd PP unit that will see 1-2 minutes most games in 20-30 second segments. It's not that big of a deal. Plus, we all expected 4 of those 5 would be on the unit anyway (Nisky, Martin, Sutter, Kennedy). Things are going to be okay.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
mpp9

Quote:

It's not a training camp. Not a whole lot of time to **** around. If Despres isn't making the team then fair enough. But like Rowdy said, at least put a guy next to Niskaen with a friggin' point shot. Dupuis would be a better option, sad as that is.

I'm not giving DB an inch. If people find that annoying, you're welcome to say so.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Funk311

new season, i'll give a new PP a pass until i see it in action. Confidence goes a long way on the man up, and a hot start could be all a super talented unit needs. My personal thought being Geno running the man up is our best bet, but hey lets give it a few games and see the results.

What i am more interested in seeing is how they are going to send Despres down. Going by last year, he would be our 3rd or 4th best overall dman. I understand there is no need to rush a player, but i am excited to hear some opinions from fellow posters who attend the camp.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's not a training camp. Not a whole lot of time to **** around. If Despres isn't making the team then fair enough. But like Rowdy said, at least put a guy next to Niskaen with a friggin' point shot. Dupuis would be a better option, sad as that is.

I'm not giving DB an inch. If people find that annoying, you're welcome to say so.
I honestly don't think Martin on the 2nd PP is a big deal so I see little reason to complain. That unit will see the final 20-30 seconds and having 2 capable dmen at the of the PP will make sure there aren't many odd man rushes or chances when their guy comes out of the box. My complaint is not having Tangradi in front of the cage.

Plus, I have a feeling Despres isn't making this team but that's just my opinion.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Bylsma: Real possibility Letang and Despres start season together.
They are sending Letang to the A?!?!

/s

Haven't seen anyone mention Geno not talking to the media today, kinda weird for him, no?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
jrm2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I honestly don't think Martin on the 2nd PP is a big deal so I see little reason to complain. That unit will see the final 20-30 seconds and having 2 capable dmen at the of the PP will make sure there aren't many odd man rushes or chances when their guy comes out of the box. My complaint is not having Tangradi in front of the cage.

Plus, I have a feeling Despres isn't making this team but that's just my opinion.
Dan just said there is legit chance Depres plays with letang Saturday and Martin with orpik.

jrm2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

/s

Haven't seen anyone mention Geno not talking to the media today, kinda weird for him, no?
Hes not talking today spose to talk tom. DB said he was real tired still trying to adjust to time difference

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
?
DB such a doucher.

If Letang doesn't clear waivers, this org will regret letting him go.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
DB such a doucher.

If Letang doesn't clear waivers, this org will regret letting him go.
dude, Pouliot will fill in. Nobody will even notice he's gone

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Jag68Sid87

What the heck is going on with Despres? Is he in the dog house or not? Is he being sent mixed messages on purpose? It's hard to get a read.

Also, to the person who talked about 66 and 68 NOT playing on the same power play when we were winning Cups, that's because 68 was a THIRD liner at the time. We had people like Kevin Stevens, Paul Coffey/Rick Tocchet, Joey Mullen, Larry Murphy, Mark Recchi.

The 66 and 68 NOT on the same PP unit didn't last very long, either. I still think it's a ridiculous thought not to have 87 and 71 on the first PP unit together. Figure out how to make it work and make it work. Together.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
What the heck is going on with Despres? Is he in the dog house or not? Is he being sent mixed messages on purpose? It's hard to get a read.

Also, to the person who talked about 66 and 68 NOT playing on the same power play when we were winning Cups, that's because 68 was a THIRD liner at the time. We had people like Kevin Stevens, Paul Coffey/Rick Tocchet, Joey Mullen, Larry Murphy, Mark Recchi.

The 66 and 68 NOT on the same PP unit didn't last very long, either. I still think it's a ridiculous thought not to have 87 and 71 on the first PP unit together. Figure out how to make it work and make it work. Together.
He's not being sent mixed messages, the guy who broke the story of the team being unsatisfied with his work ethic, which lead to Dejan's article, was the same guy who said the Leafs claimed MacIntyre.

It's BS.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

so Letang looks to be practicing in Sullivan's spot from last year on the PP. I wonder if anyone ever thought of trying that?

Old
01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Disagree Ogre...Martin is terrible on the PP. No creativity, bad pinches at the wall leading to odd-mans the other way, and his shot can't break a wet paper bag.

I'd rather have Engelland there if Despres doesn't make the team. At least he has a good shot, and he always finds a lane to get it through to the net.
You are right IMO

5v4 pts / 60

Letang 4.2 (elite PP scoring rate for defender)
Depres 3.0 (good to very good-for rookie)
Niskanen 2.8 (good/serviceable)
Martin 1.8 (poor)

Sullivan averaged 1.8 pt / 60 at EVEN STRENGTH to compare to how bad Martin was on the PP.

Given little to no 5/4 time (hence the 0s)
Engelland 0.0
Lovejoy 0.0
Orpik 0.0

I agree that Engelland would be worth a shot and Depres is clearly the best to fill that spot (even if there are few games to draw from). Martin is the worst of all D men that were given 5v4 time. Lovejoy is also an option as a last resort. It's worth chancing a new option in Martin's place. It is very unlikely they could be worse.

Engelland actually is the Pens' #2 scoring D man / 5v5 icetime behind Letang. It makes sense to try him 5v4. His goals / min is right at Letang's level too indicating he's not just picking up 2nd assists, but providing scoring as well.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
5v4 pts / 60

Letang 4.2 (elite PP scoring rate for defender)
Depres 3.0 (good to very good-for rookie)
Niskanen 2.8 (good/serviceable)
Martin 1.8 (poor)

Sullivan averaged 1.8 pt / 60 at EVEN STRENGTH to compare to how bad Martin was on the PP.

Given little to no 5/4 time (hence the 0s)
Engelland 0.0
Lovejoy 0.0
Orpik 0.0

I agree that Engelland would be worth a shot and Depres is clearly the best to fill that spot (even if there are few games to draw from). Martin is the worst of all D men that were given 5v4 time. Lovejoy is also an option as a last resort. It's worth chancing a new option in Martin's place. It is very unlikely they could be worse.

Engelland actually is the Pens' #2 scoring D man / 5v5 icetime behind Letang. It makes sense to try him 5v4. His goals / min is right at Letang's level too indicating he's not just picking up 2nd assists, but providing scoring as well.
This right here is why I hate these stats.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's not being sent mixed messages, the guy who broke the story of the team being unsatisfied with his work ethic, which lead to Dejan's article, was the same guy who said the Leafs claimed MacIntyre.

It's BS.
Let's not let Dejan off the hook. He reported it in his chat and then wrote an article that contradicted what he previously said (only he never admitted the discrepancy).

Old
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
This right here is why I hate these stats.
Because they don't agree with your opinion? If you "hate them", then don't read them and keep your opinions to yourself. I don't pick apart every post you make. If you disagree with the statement, then provide evidence to your argument.

This is a forum. We all get along.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Because they don't agree with your opinion? If you "hate them", then don't read them and keep your opinions to yourself. I don't pick apart every post you make. If you disagree with the statement, then provide evidence to your argument.

This is a forum.
You used the stat to compare Engelland's offensive production to Letang's offensive production. That is ridiculous. Paul Martin is a MUCH better offensive player than Deryk Engelland.

To support that, here are my stats. Engelland scores about .19 points per game compared to Martin's .39.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Engelland can chip in once in while and that's a lot more than most bruisers like him but his lack of speed, passing and puck handling skills shouldn't be anywhere near a PP unit. Martin has his blunders and him on the PP is basically the equivalent of waiving the white flag and surrendering for that particular PP but he's still a better option than Engelland.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

1st PP:

Tangradi- Crosby - Neal

Letang - Malkin

2nd PP:

Kunitz- Sutter - Dupuis/Cooke

Niskanen - Despres

We could use Eric Tangradi in front of the net on 1st PP? He could be our Ryan Malone. Do you think Malkin and Letang at the point could be a problem for turnovers?

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
1st PP:

Tangradi- Crosby - Neal

Letang - Malkin

2nd PP:

Kunitz- Sutter - Dupuis/Cooke

Niskanen - Despres

We could use Eric Tangradi in front of the net on 1st PP? He could be our Ryan Malone. Do you think Malkin and Letang at the point could be a problem for turnovers?
I really hate taking Malkin off the wall.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I really hate taking Malkin off the wall.
Steve Sullivan would be helpful, if we still had him.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote