HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edler for PK Subban

Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It works both ways. You can't expect to trade a young player for a better player+(who's only like 3 years older), regardless of contract status.

Now I know a Canucks fan started this thread, but this is an absolutely terrible trade for us that makes us worse now and in the future.
Assuming the Canucks are 100% certain to resign Edler - right? I have no reason to think that Edler would pull a Parise/Suter, but you have to at least consider that right? Then take into account that Edler is no more likely to re-sign in MON that any other team in the league, and it seems like the Habs are really getting hosed here.

Whomever has PK's rights is getting 294 regular season games from him, and 4 play-off years (assuming no health issues). Whoever has Edler's right is getting 48 games and 1 play-off year. That difference in "rights" to the player is a REALLY big IMO, and the first wouldn't come close to closing the gap.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Someone show me an example when a young RFA player was traded for a better player only a couple of years older+.

It's never happened, and never will.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Makes zero sense from a Habs perspective. Makes zero sense from a Canucks perspective.

No thanks.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Spice Trader

Only reason this happens is if vancouver allows montreal to talk to edlers people and see if he will sign there.

Then the issue is Pks personality might not mesh with an established team with a tight core.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
WakeUpNHL

Edler who??

No way this happens! Bergevin would be run out of town. lol

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
palindrom

What about Subban for Burrows instead?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
You forgot to throw in Price and Luongo.

No chance.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
too much from VAN perspective... Cam Barker + Jim Vandermeer is probably fair value

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Someone show me an example when a young RFA player was traded for a better player only a couple of years older+.

I'll show you a rental player (UFA) traded at the deadline for lesser players if ya want.

Very similar to the Edler situation.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

No chance.
no, its palindrome. i'm sure he's serious

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
lamp9post

Quote:

Probably because teams don't want to give up an RFA for a marginal upgrade that is a UFA.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

No chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
no, its palindrome. i'm sure he's serious
What is wrong with Subban for Burrows?

Old
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
What is wrong with Subban for Burrows?
It's wrong because it's not fair for the Habs,

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Edler who??

No way this happens! Bergevin would be run out of town. lol
Gillis would be tarred and feathered. Edler is a better player than Subban by a good margin right now. It was not that long ago that Subban was being benched for inconsistent play. Assuming that we can re-sign Edler I would not be interested in trading for another defenceman who might develop into another Edler in a couple of more years.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
This thread went to hell faster then even I could have guessed. Here goes my attempt at a little damage control:

Edler maybe UFA, but until Subban is resigned, and I am confident he will be, he isn't as valuable to a competing organization with a limited budget and questions about the future as someone who is A.) signed for at least the year, B.) can arguably (and I don't want to argue about this point, my opinion is my own and I don't think everyone shares it) play better hockey, at least in our system, C.) has been with the organization for a long while and D.) has a connection and roots here, and is likely to sign for cheaper.

No one from our camp wouldn't covet Subban, but he's not the right fit under the current circumstances for the current proposal. Montreal fans will have a list as long as my arm as to why they'd want Subban over Edler too, and they are all as equally valid as my points, but it boils down to the same argument: Not at this time.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolundasweden View Post
What happens if Subban dont sign with Vancouver? They have thrown away Edler + 1st for nothing.
You still have teams that would pay a premium for him.

Edler is great, but unless he for sure is going to re-sign here I'm not interested.

Edler really picks it up in the playoffs. I love how he goes into beast mode and tries to kill people with hits.

Edler got 13 more points in 1 more game. Impressive. However, Vancouver as a whole scored 37 more goals than Montreal.

Vancouver was +51 in gf/ga
Montreal -13

Edler even
Subban +9

People trying to say "Edler and it's not even close" Really don't have a grasp on the situation what so ever.

Last edited by Analyzer: 01-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
This thread went to hell faster then even I could have guessed. Here goes my attempt at a little damage control:

Edler maybe UFA, but until Subban is resigned, and I am confident he will be, he isn't as valuable to a competing organization with a limited budget and questions about the future as someone who is A.) signed for at least the year, B.) can arguably (and I don't want to argue about this point, my opinion is my own and I don't think everyone shares it) play better hockey, at least in our system, C.) has been with the organization for a long while and D.) has a connection and roots here, and is likely to sign for cheaper.

No one from our camp wouldn't covet Subban, but he's not the right fit under the current circumstances for the current proposal. Montreal fans will have a list as long as my arm as to why they'd want Subban over Edler too, and they are all as equally valid as my points, but it boils down to the same argument: Not at this time.
To make it short what you mean is: Subban's value will partially be determined by his contract, and we can only make guess about it now.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
DJOpus

Jensen + Gaunce/1st + Ballard for PK Subban?

or

Jensen + Gaunce + Schroeder + Ballard + 1st + 2nd for Subban + Plekanec

What I'm hearing is the Habs don't want to commit big cash to Subban with so many good defenseman prospects coming up and some glaring holes up front. This tries to address their prospect holes up front and helps stack their prospect pool in exchange for guys that can help the Canucks win now.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You still have teams that would pay a premium for him.

Edler is great, but unless he for sure is going to re-sign here I'm not interested.

Edler really picks it up in the playoffs. I love how he goes into beast mode and tries to kill people with hits.

Edler got 13 more points in 1 more game. Impressive. However, Vancouver as a whole scored 37 more goals than Montreal.

Vancouver was +51 in gf/ga
Montreal -13

Edler even
Subban +9

People trying to say "Edler and it's not even close" Really don't have a grasp on the situation what so ever.
Did you see his last playoff series against the Kings? It was not the Edler we were expecting. Not only that, he cost us game 1.

Samzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Mr Sakich

doesn't Edler have back problems right now?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
RespectYourEdlers

no no no no no no no no no
enough with all these Edler proposals
we will resign him

RespectYourEdlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
doesn't Edler have back problems right now?
I think the long off-season gave him time to heal...it'll be interesting to see how he plays this year being that he hadn't had time to rehab his back previously (had been playing hurt for basically two and a half years).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Edler at this point is the better dman and has put up better production. Subban has not signed, so could possibly be sign of friction. Edler is UFA next year, that is another reason 1st is added, but very likely Canadiens can sign if they give a deal like Markov to Edler with more years. Subban still RFA only slightly hurts value.

Edit: after reading some responses it looked as though adding the 1st might be unfair to Vancouver. What if just a straight up trade. Edler for PK. Vancouver is overloaded in good left side defence, a young high upside right side could fit roster nicely.
Not interested as a Habs fan, unless Subban gets some crazy contract a la Doughty.

As for the bolded part, playing with both Sedins probably explain part of why he has superior numbers. I wouldn't claim either of them is clearly better than the other at this point, but Subban still has room to grow, which makes him more valuable in my opinion.

Plus, it would seem Nucks fan are not all that interested in trading him for Subban either.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Jensen + Gaunce/1st + Ballard for PK Subban?

or

Jensen + Gaunce + Schroeder + Ballard + 1st + 2nd for Subban + Plekanec

What I'm hearing is the Habs don't want to commit big cash to Subban with so many good defenseman prospects coming up and some glaring holes up front. This tries to address their prospect holes up front and helps stack their prospect pool in exchange for guys that can help the Canucks win now.

Where you hearing that from?

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Habs GM has already stated that PK isn't going anywhere... it's not an option.

I just wish they'd come to a 4-6 year agreement so all this PK trade crappola would dissappear.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote