HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Considering NHL Gamecenter live - any thoughts?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
even if you use a vpn? (as in, TSN and CBC games will still be on GCL for people outside the toronto TV market?)
Use a Euro-based VPN to connect to game, and then disconnect the VPN as game is on. That way, you use your provider's network to stream games (hence, no lag). Also, Euro VPN ensures that you have zero games blacked out. That means, even playoffs or cup finals would work just fine (which is not the case for american VPN).

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
CaffeineHigh

NHL GameCenter Live is $49.99 for the season which seems pretty reasonable since you get every game and you can watch them when you want since they're saved online. In the past I have used free streams found on Wiziwig or Firstrow but the quality is poor and unreliable.

CaffeineHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
So can anyone answer us on:

1. When you are signing up should you be already connected to usa vpn?
2. When you sign up do you enter your real Toronto address or fake usa address (florida)
1. No this detection is done when you try to play a particular stream. It is not tied to your account.

2. Real address, this service assumes that you may be viewing from multiple locations and is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. You are paying for this service and are within your rights to do this in my humble opinion.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Use a Euro-based VPN to connect to game, and then disconnect the VPN as game is on. That way, you use your provider's network to stream games (hence, no lag). Also, Euro VPN ensures that you have zero games blacked out. That means, even playoffs or cup finals would work just fine (which is not the case for american VPN).
Ok cool. I have a free american vpn but I guess I could look into a euro one if need me. I guess i'll give it a try this weekend and see how easily it works out

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtooDtu View Post
I also forgot to say something that is extremely important. I had GameCenter Online i think 2-3yrs ago and i found the picture to be very choppy!

I have no idea if they fixed/improved on things however after getting GameCenter Online i decided to buy a SlingBox HD Pro and buy Center Ice and stream it to my computer. This way i only pay half and my parents paid the other half. I am a University student. I found with a Slingbox HD Pro the picture quality isnt as great (for some reason the encoder/decorder has an issue with whites) but watching the game was very smooth.

Again, i only used GameCenter Online for 1yr a few years ago so maybe they fixed everything but when i had it i found it very difficult to watch some/all of the games. However, the picture quality was amazing!
I had no issues with the picture quality, though if I am bandwidth constrained, it's wise to drop the quality down. Get a solid connection (14Mbps+) and don't use VPNs (find another way like unblock-us.com) and you can watch the highest quality streams without any buffering night in and night out.

Those crummy streams online have nothing on gamecenter live. As a die hard fan, I can't bring myself to watch those crap streams.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I had no issues with the picture quality, though if I am bandwidth constrained, it's wise to drop the quality down. Get a solid connection (14Mbps+) and don't use VPNs (find another way like unblock-us.com) and you can watch the highest quality streams without any buffering night in and night out.

Those crummy streams online have nothing on gamecenter live. As a die hard fan, I can't bring myself to watch those crap streams.
I'll second this, the free feeds are absolutely trash. The picture quality is mediocre at best and not to mention the sound is very often delayed by 2-3 seconds, which although may seem insignificant really is quite a nuisance.

I've had the LeafsTV Online for the last couple seasons, and it's generally OK, although FWIW they really failed to expand this service.

I'm signing up with GCL tonight, going to use unblockus. I'm happy to update everyone with how it looks.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Rayzorexe
Yawn...

Anyone know if its possible to stream games with NHL GameCenter with an Android Device on Mobilicity's network?

Rayzorexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
HFX902

I will be streaming games. on my computers so others can watch.. once I get everything set up

also check this out http://livetv.ru/en/

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineHigh View Post
NHL GameCenter Live is $49.99 for the season which seems pretty reasonable since you get every game and you can watch them when you want since they're saved online. In the past I have used free streams found on Wiziwig or Firstrow but the quality is poor and unreliable.
if I missed a leaf game would I be able to watch it after the game say later that night or the next day? or is that blacked out?

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

Okay, I got GCL for $50, but I'm not sure how to get it working on my PS3? It gives me a code to enter to link my account, but when I open the browser there's nowhere to enter it..? I tried logging in, but then it just brought me back to the same page anyway.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Sergei Berezin

Apparently the NHL GCL will be open for download on Xbox 360 this Friday.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Donmega

If i use my gcl account on my usa xbox live account will i still need a vpn to bypass the blackout? Asking cause i already own a vpn but its impossible to setup the vpn on the 360 or ps3

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
FlareKnight

Well normally I'd love to say "screw you" to the NHL, but the $50 does work well for my personal situation. Certainly better than falling back on bad streams or listening via radio again .

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
If i use my gcl account on my usa xbox live account will i still need a vpn to bypass the blackout? Asking cause i already own a vpn but its impossible to setup the vpn on the 360 or ps3
It's actually so much easier to change your IP on your Xbox. You don't need any IP-Block or anything like that. You just find the IP address of the location you want the app you're using to think you're in and change a few things.

Like here, this is how I watch American Netflix on my Xbox in Canada.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
It's actually so much easier to change your IP on your Xbox. You don't need any IP-Block or anything like that. You just find the IP address of the location you want the app you're using to think you're in and change a few things.

Like here, this is how I watch American Netflix on my Xbox in Canada.
This isn't changing your IP address, it's changing your DNS services address.

The IP addresses listed in that video:

These addresses are the unblock-us.com addresses.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:59 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...om:gcl:scrsbnv

Website says $50 for me.

Now, who can tell me with 100% accuracy that I will be able to watch Leafs games using GCL + UnblockUs, in glorious HD?
lol don't expect to see it like u do on cable. Unblockus works really well for many out of country sites. But another $5 a month.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:10 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Gonna try the free preview out first. Need to see how the DVR/PVR thing works. Only reason I am considering it is because I work during roughly half the Leaf games (I'm in BC).

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
KaraLupin
카라

I think I had my GameCenter to auto-renew, any news if they charged the same price as a full season?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I think I had my GameCenter to auto-renew, any news if they charged the same price as a full season?
It's $49.99.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 50
I am in Tokyo so this is how I watch Hockey. I don't need to worry about black-outs, but I also use unblock-us.com for Netflix so my GameCenter live account automatically uses that as well. I have never had an issue and can watch every game, even nationally broadcast ones.

Even in Tokyo, I can watch in High Definition. Occasionally there are issues, but in general it is fine, great even.

It is also very dependent on the client you use. The PS3 client often sucks. You get stutter and delays. The Roku client is generally pretty good, and watching on the PC is the best. I prefer to watch on the PS3 when there are not issues, but probably watch 50% of my games using the computer via HDMI to the TV.

I just saw this year is going to be $49.99. A full season is usually around $160. This is a steal and I'd highly recommend it.

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
lol don't expect to see it like u do on cable. Unblockus works really well for many out of country sites. But another $5 a month.
Do you have GCL and can vouch for this? 'Cable' quality isn't anything to write home about, and my experience with LeafsTV Online leads me to believe HD quality is definitely available. Further, GCL claims HD feeds:

Quote:
Watch live out-of-market games in HD-quality with a choice of the home or away team's broadcast (live games available for regular season games in US and Canada)

Old
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Do you have GCL and can vouch for this? 'Cable' quality isn't anything to write home about, and my experience with LeafsTV Online leads me to believe HD quality is definitely available. Further, GCL claims HD feeds:
HD is definitely available. It is possible it is limited to 720p, but I am not sure since we haven't had hockey in a while. I alternate between a 47 inch 1080p capable TV and a 720p 100 inch screen projector, and have no complaints whatsoever about the quality. My only complaints are regarding the clients, and occasionally the streams are screwy, but not so much I would cancel.

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
mt99808

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I agree. This is will be my first year with GCL but have used mlb.tv the last 2 seasons. I haven't noticed any difference in quality and in fact I notice more detail in background stuff like the crowd compared to Bell TV's compressed to hell HD. The thing with mlb.tv though is baseball is a relatively slow moving sport and I'm semi concerned about the fast pace of hockey and how it will look over an internet stream. Still willing to take a shot though ... i love being able to watch multiple games at once whether it be split screen or one on regular tv and another on my ipad.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
"lol"? Why?

MLB.TV's picture quality is better than I was getting with HD cable. Netflix's picture quality is better than I was getting with HD cable. Yes, Cogeco really sucks a giant sack.
GCL's picture quality should be _______ than I was getting with HD cable.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
"lol"? Why?

MLB.TV's picture quality is better than I was getting with HD cable. Netflix's picture quality is better than I was getting with HD cable. Yes, Cogeco really sucks a giant sack.
GCL's picture quality should be _______ than I was getting with HD cable.
At this point I think most nay-sayers are self-medicating to ease the pain of poor quality from free services. I don't blame them.

Don't get me wrong, the TSN and CBC feeds are decent quality, but the firstrow/adthe /other feeds are, frankly, brutal for the semi-serious sports fan.