HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New hockey player needing fitness / skills development / food advice

Old
01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Looks like I have to get myself a golf ball.

One thing I like about the Green Biscuit is if I haven't done it in a while (or done mostly Smart Ball), I find I flip it over a lot. So I have to adjust to keep it flat and I assume that is beneficial to stickhandling on the ice.
Hmm...is your dominant hand on the bottom of the stick by any chance?

I've had pretty dang smooth hands since about a few months of playing. I don't think I've ever flipped a puck except on purpose.

I also got coached somewhere along the way to not excessively stickhandle, only do it to keep the puck on the blade when changing directions or to fake defenders. I did a bunch of drills where we synced up our hands and legs so we switched front to back or vice versa each time we pushed off with a different leg. If that makes sense?

Anyways, my old roommate and I would go to the garage and stickhandle with golf balls while having conversations and not looking at the puck. I think that helped. Sucked though tracking down golf balls every 30 seconds when they jumped off the blade and rolled in the corner

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Subnordi

I'd suggest a ton of core work. Gary Roberts stated that Steve Downie isn't the most talented guy out there but he rarely loses a battle for the puck because he has one of the strongest cores in the league. Watch the Nike training videos on youtube, they have a ton of tips and exercises that will greatly improve your game.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gary Roberts would include the legs in the core I'll bet. He's big on squats.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

thanks heaps again everyone.

one other thing that annoys me is that i get a sore back when i do a lot of stickhandling, on or off the ice.

is there some specific exercises that might help reduce this?

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Fitness
HIIT (High intensity interval training). This is for the most part what I do these days and for hockey I have had the greatest improvements. Other workouts have their beneifts as well whether increasing stretch or flexibility, but, IMO, HIIT gives you the best bang for your buck (metaphorically speaking) as it is incredible efficient (time requirements versus gains) and most closely replicates the pace of a hockey game with intense shifts followed by quick rest. Body weight circuits, sprints, jump rope, etc. are all fantastic and do not require a gym.

Nutirtion
Look up ways to eat clean and do that as often as you can. It is very difficult to eat clean 99% of the time and a lot of advice out there will tell you that doing so more often than not will still yield results. Obviously, the more disciplined you are, the better the results. Start small and slowly swap new foods or clean alternatives into your diet. Small changes over time equal major changes. Drink a lot of water.

YOU CANNOT OUT TRAIN A BAD DIET.

Skill Development
This one is different for everyone. The constant is time and effort. Without those things you will not improve as much as you'd probably like. Youtube has been and continues to be a huge help for development. I try to incorporate one thing to work on in pickup or at a sticktime and build as I go.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Depends on whats available. Obviously if you can skate at a rink regularly then do so. But do so with intention IE have some drills to practice.

Id work on sprints and edges.

AS mentioned get some stick-handling aids such as the smart ball or whatever is called and a Swedish puck-handling ball. Practice while watching TV etc. Its pretty easy to get time in with stick-handling and it will make a big difference.

As for exercises definitely do squats and deadlifts. If you are starting out with squats you can do the goblet squats which also help build hip flexibility. Get a balance board or BOSU ball and do some of your exercises on that. I do single arm overhead presses with a kettlebell on my BOSU and it helps with balance and stability which is really important in hockey.

For cardio to intervals interval interval. You are better off doing 20 mins of intervals than 45 mins of jogging. You workout will be faster (and more painful), you will be less bored and you will get better gains as your cardio improves immensely. I like Tabata. Its killer though.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Mink View Post

one other thing that annoys me is that i get a sore back when i do a lot of stickhandling, on or off the ice.

On ice, it could be you are reaching too far, maybe your knees aren't bent or feet aren't wide enough?

Either way, you can strengthen your core and improve that quite a bit. If you do some planks and deadlifts that should build up your lower back and improve your strength and reduce injuries.

Even with a 15-20 pound dumbbell you can get enough resistance to build strength. You really want to feel it in your butt and hamstrings, not with the lower back. The core muscles aren't for lifting weight, they are for keeping your torso straight and stable. Don't hunch over to get low to the ground, stick your but and move your hips back to get low to the ground. Very important, otherwise you will hurt your back instead of strengthen it!

This is proper technique for the deadlift:

Old
01-16-2013, 12:05 AM
reecardo

Quote:

Started playing in Feb/March of last year at an adult learn 2 play, and every guy there basically complained of back pain. The classes just started again, and most of the guys from last spring came back. The funny part is it was only the new guys complaining about back pain. The fact is, the more you skate, the stronger you get. When I first started skating I was pulling muscles I didn't even know I had, but after a while, your body just gets stronger.

Also, pistols rock!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEBol54EjVE

Last edited by reecardo: 01-16-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Pistols
reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Maladus

I have a question for anyone who has done a significant amount of off ice shooting with a shooting pad. I recently set one up and found it has helped my shot but I've noticed when switching from off ice shooting to ice I feel like I am not getting as much flex on my stick. Maybe this is because I am only wearing shoes off ice and then on ice I am a little taller with skates?? Do any of you use some sort of stand when practicing off ice to mimic the extra height from skates?

Maladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladus View Post
I have a question for anyone who has done a significant amount of off ice shooting with a shooting pad. I recently set one up and found it has helped my shot but I've noticed when switching from off ice shooting to ice I feel like I am not getting as much flex on my stick. Maybe this is because I am only wearing shoes off ice and then on ice I am a little taller with skates?? Do any of you use some sort of stand when practicing off ice to mimic the extra height from skates?
Probably friction. Much less friction on ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Thesensation19

Research Soviet Union Hockey training. There was one direct reason why the Soviets dominated sports from the 60's to the 90's and thats conditioning.

Its about being well versatile, so it means playing multiple sprts and training everyday. Soviets did it forcefully but you can do it for fun, i do it and i have a full time job and its awesome.

They ran everyday, they did weight lifting, they did plyometrics and swimming and off ice hockey drills. Tretiak was a monster in net because his training was the best.

If he let up one goal in practice he would do 100 lunges, a 100 push ups, some ups and downs after practice. His coach didnt have to tell him too.

After games, Jagr wears a weighted vest and does some lunges, knee bends, squats and push ups.

Pavel Bure use to play an hour of basketball, an hour of soccer a day. Run for an hour, weight train and play hockey during the offseason every single day.

As a hockey player, be smart. Research what makes a strong player, what makes a player last longer. Coming on here and waiting for answers is fine but no where near enough!

Type in Hockey training. Go out and test your own body.

Maybe your too young for weights or dont like using it. Well theres plenty of non weighted work outs. PLENTY. Go to a jungle gym. Go to a hil.

As a hockey player, most important parts in ur body are

Back, Legs, Core. Improve those first and do workouts properly. More weight does not mean better. Rest and eat right or you wont find maximum gains

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:

Supermans. Lay on your stomach and raise ur arms and legs off the ground. Differ ways you do it attacks differ muscles in back. I try to do a ton, then do less reps for more holding, then back to a lot of reps. I saw immediate differ

Holding a pull up bar and doing some stuf on there is great. Builds strong forearms, back and core. Stretch is great like that too. Plus pull ups, chin ups or whatever are great

Rows are awesome. Dead lift is the best but be careful

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Stickchecked

Core, core, core. And abs are a tiny part of core.

Workouts that involve exercise balls are really effective. Since I started working on my core, I have noticed a radical difference in my posture, how I climb steps, how I ride my bike, skate, everything. And years of back pain are completely gone.

Legs are really important, but you're pissing in the wind without a solid core.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
You can buy an agility ladder at Walmart for like $25. It's the best tool to work on footwork. I would do that immediately and work on footwork 10-15 minutes 4 days a week.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Core, core, core. And abs are a tiny part of core.

Workouts that involve exercise balls are really effective. Since I started working on my core, I have noticed a radical difference in my posture, how I climb steps, how I ride my bike, skate, everything. And years of back pain are completely gone.

Legs are really important, but you're pissing in the wind without a solid core.
Truth.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
You can buy an agility ladder at Walmart for like $25. It's the best tool to work on footwork. I would do that immediately and work on footwork 10-15 minutes 4 days a week.
Ive been using my agility hurdles the last couple of weeks. With 5 finger shoes it kills my legs.

Might have to give my agility ladder a go. Know any good websites with ladder exercises?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Ive been using my agility hurdles the last couple of weeks. With 5 finger shoes it kills my legs.

Might have to give my agility ladder a go. Know any good websites with ladder exercises?
The Skillz one that they sell at walmart comes with a bad ass DVD. Some great stuff. I trained for hockey so I just use a lot that my trainer taught me.

I'd youtube it. I typically go there for workouts anymore. So many good free things.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
No1TopGun

Great to see another Aussie getting into it. As a relative beginner myself one thing people need to work on is skating. Seems stupid but I really feel beginners and even intermediate players here really underestimate the importance of skating and don't have a good grasp of edge control.
A lot of people avoid doing things they struggle with and they just set themselves back. Also don't avoid Oakleigh its a great place to skate... far less people, better ice to skate on than icehouse public rink and you'll play most of your games there when u join a team. Good to get used to it.

By all means work on stick handling and shooting etc at stick n puck as well as the off ice stuff but don't neglect skating. Most importantly have fun... I'll be seeing ya out there

No1TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Blueland89

I been working on muscle endurance low weight a ton of reps like for bench as an example I Max at about 190 so I start at 140 do 20 reps drop down to 130 do 20 reps 120 for 20 reps then 110 for 20 more that is set do 3 sets if you can't get 20 reps just burn out all lifts are done back to back no break in-between weight changes. I do this with every muscle group. I do bench, curls, tea cups, squats the safest way to do these is of coarse with a spotter but I like to use a Smith machine, do all until you burn out or start losing your form. Remember form is the most important part.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Blueland89

And battling ropes works total body and cardio

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
RJK
SHOOT MOAR!!!

i played a lot of pond hockey when i was younger in the buffalo area and just recently got back on the ice for the first time in 15 yrs. trying to work my way back into a comfort zone but i was wondering if somebody could help me out with on ice terms to communicate with teammates and whatnot...other than getting my skating back this is my biggest problem on the ice as i'm silent while out there other than calling for passes or letting the d man know when there's a man on. appreciate any help

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
i played a lot of pond hockey when i was younger in the buffalo area and just recently got back on the ice for the first time in 15 yrs. trying to work my way back into a comfort zone but i was wondering if somebody could help me out with on ice terms to communicate with teammates and whatnot...other than getting my skating back this is my biggest problem on the ice as i'm silent while out there other than calling for passes or letting the d man know when there's a man on. appreciate any help
For that try to find footage of mic'd up players. The Rangers behind the bench one from 2/7 for example had Biron mic'd up and you hear him calling out stuff pretty nicely. That might warrant a thread on its own though.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:19 AM
American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Squat, squat, squat, squat, squat...

If you need me to say it again, SQUATS.

Cardio is also good, and core strength...
+1

I started squatting this season and as I've doubled the weight on my bar, I've noticed that my skating is getting better and better.

I think deadlifting and power cleans also deliver functional strength for hockey.

Since I started deadlifting, the percentage of faceoffs I win has sky-rocketted. Coincidence? I think not.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote