HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I really really really hope the Flames make alot of people eat crow

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
  #1
nogger
#wemissyoubutler
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 50
I really really really hope the Flames make alot of people eat crow

There would be nothing more enjoyable then to watch the Flames do fantastic this season, make the playoffs, and maybe win a round or two. I'd love to see the reaction across HF.

I am fairly confident we have the team to do it, as long as we show up every night.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
  #2
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty
 
3rdEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CoRD's house
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,703
vCash: 50
We would all love it!! Unfortunately my hopes have been high every season, only to be shot down... in.... Flames....? *Dr evil pinky*

Most of us diehard Flames fans are pretty bitter these days. But stay cautiously optimistic.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
  #3
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
I'm with you on this one. I think we got unlucky the last few years I mean we finished 9th last year and the team that finished ahead of us won the stanley cup.. And for those who will go ahead and say that the Kings were a much better team than the Flames maybe you're right, but look at the team in 2004 and look at the team now. Its pretty obvious that this team on paper is a lot better.

Yes I know Iggy is no longer in his prime like he was back in 2004 but look at the supporting cast. Kipper IMO has not lost his game and I believe can still make another run.

And finally I think this team will really do well under Hartley. To be honest I never really liked Sutter's style and it obviously didn't work for this team as they haven't made the playoffs in the 3 years he was active.

So if we can stay healthy this season with a team that can excel under Hartley, I think they can make the playoffs and after that who knows what can happen

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
  #4
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 177
This is a much better team than everyone gives them credit for. Excited to see them play Sunday.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
  #5
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Even if the Flames do surprise, they'll "still be a year older, aging talent, almost no prospects, time to rebuild was three years ago, blah blah blah"

But yeah, a helping of crow would be nice.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
  #6
Unagi
Registered User
 
Unagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
As a Ducks fan the Flames are my 2nd favourite team to win the cup this year. I'm not saying I am a Flames fan, but Iginla is a guy who deserves his name on the cup.

So as long as the Ducks aren't pushing for the Cup, I hope you guys make it all the way!

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:00 AM
  #7
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
I'm with you on this one. I think we got unlucky the last few years I mean we finished 9th last year and the team that finished ahead of us won the stanley cup.. And for those who will go ahead and say that the Kings were a much better team than the Flames maybe you're right, but look at the team in 2004 and look at the team now. Its pretty obvious that this team on paper is a lot better.
The current Flames are only a shadow of the team in 2004.

Don't underestimate the value between an Iginla in his prime, and one that is aging gracefully.

The Flames have been unlucky for close to a decade now.

At some point, it's no longer just luck.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  #8
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 50
The hecklers are part of being a bad team. The CLB fans get "worse franchise in the NHL!" The Coyotes get "SEE YOU IN QUEBEC!"By comparison, "BLOW IT UP" and "IGINLA IS OLD" isn't that bad.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
  #9
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 67
I believe a healthy Flames roster has as much depth as any contending team. I believe this team has some gaping holes, including faceoffs, shoot-outs, and talent down the middle. But I believe Sutter was our biggest problem and if Hartely can work towards our strengths, we will be successful to everyone's surprise.

Hartely needs to build a system that playmakes down the middle and scores on the wing. Hartely or Feaster needs to help us win faceoffs. Hartely needs to play an uptempo game with shots from anywhere rather than playing the cycle and grit with a defensive focus. We simply don't have defensive defensemen or scoring centremen.

That's how we'll be successful.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
  #10
JustChatting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I am a Flames fan. I don't expect them to do that well this year. Probably 9th or worse. I really do hope I am wrong with that prediction. I would gladly eat crow.

JustChatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
  #11
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Even if the Flames do surprise, they'll "still be a year older, aging talent, almost no prospects, time to rebuild was three years ago, blah blah blah"

But yeah, a helping of crow would be nice.
Yeah, even if they made the playoffs and did well, there would still be a huge group of posters (of other team's fans, mind you) calling for a rebuild of the Flames in the summer. It's just the HF mentality.

Kings fans are calling Lombardi an idiot for waiving their 8th/9th best d-man, and he just won the cup.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
  #12
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Yeah, even if they made the playoffs and did well, there would still be a huge group of posters (of other team's fans, mind you) calling for a rebuild of the Flames in the summer. It's just the HF mentality.

Kings fans are calling Lombardi an idiot for waiving their 8th/9th best d-man, and he just won the cup.
But he's a former top-5 pick, he's so valuable

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
  #13
Feel The Heat
Registered User
 
Feel The Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 50
I would like them to eat more than crow.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
  #14
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Injury reports for other teams will be huge in this 48 game season.

Vancouver is down both Kelser and Booth for likely close to two months now. Shut the Sedins down and not much left for scoring depth

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
  #15
PETRYDISH
Registered User
 
PETRYDISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,601
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
As a Ducks fan the Flames are my 2nd favourite team to win the cup this year. I'm not saying I am a Flames fan, but Iginla is a guy who deserves his name on the cup.

So as long as the Ducks aren't pushing for the Cup, I hope you guys make it all the way!
As a big Iginla fan, I hope he gets traded to the Ducks and wins a cup there.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
  #16
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
As a big Iginla fan, I hope he gets traded to the Ducks and wins a cup there.
Because the Ducks are a much better team than the Flames?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  #17
GernBlanston
Registered User
 
GernBlanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Smyrna, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Seems like a good thread to come and say this:

I am a Panthers fan first... but I've been wondering about picking a Western Conf team to jump on board with. I'm an Atlanta native and have been burned more than once... there's just no way I can root for the Jets. I tried. Can't do it...

But wait... there's another former Atlanta team out there. A team that I was a fan of growing up! Could I? SHOULD I??

YES!! I can. I should. I will. The Flames just became my Western Conference team! I look forward to getting to know the folks on this board, and getting to know the Flames better in general. I work evenings, and just picked up Gamecenter for the season, so I'm all geared up.

Anyone have any old tees or hats they wanna send my way? Need some swag!! (This is a joke - I didn't come looking for free stuffs. Why do I feel the need to justify? Oh well...)

And, at least for this season, I don't have to worry about the Panthers and Flames playing one another. I get a full season to get on board. Love it. Look forward to it.

Hi everyone. My name is Gern. GAME ON.

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  #18
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
Seems like a good thread to come and say this:

I am a Panthers fan first... but I've been wondering about picking a Western Conf team to jump on board with. I'm an Atlanta native and have been burned more than once... there's just no way I can root for the Jets. I tried. Can't do it...

But wait... there's another former Atlanta team out there. A team that I was a fan of growing up! Could I? SHOULD I??

YES!! I can. I should. I will. The Flames just became my Western Conference team! I look forward to getting to know the folks on this board, and getting to know the Flames better in general. I work evenings, and just picked up Gamecenter for the season, so I'm all geared up.

Anyone have any old tees or hats they wanna send my way? Need some swag!! (This is a joke - I didn't come looking for free stuffs. Why do I feel the need to justify? Oh well...)

And, at least for this season, I don't have to worry about the Panthers and Flames playing one another. I get a full season to get on board. Love it. Look forward to it.

Hi everyone. My name is Gern. GAME ON.
Welcome! Hope you don't have any hair, because after half a season of watching the Flames you'll be pulling it out.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  #19
GernBlanston
Registered User
 
GernBlanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Smyrna, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Welcome! Hope you don't have any hair, because after half a season of watching the Flames you'll be pulling it out.
I have been a Florida Panthers fan since 1993 and (was) an Atlanta Thrashers fan for their entire existence. My hair has the roots of a redwood from all the pulling. My ulcers, on the other hand...

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  #20
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
I have been a Florida Panthers fan since 1993 and (was) an Atlanta Thrashers fan for their entire existence. My hair has the roots of a redwood from all the pulling. My ulcers, on the other hand...
Welcome! Hope you like it here! If you have any questions, do feel free to ask!

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.