HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames expected to re-sign Jarome Iginla

Old
01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Devonator

vCash: 500
Hilarious....the flames are just going to continue to slide into greater obscurity over the coming seasons by holding onto decaying players and getting nothing in return...honestly, this team would be so depressing to follow knowing how bleak their future is.....

If the management had any brains, trade Iggy and Kipper in the next 6 months while they have some value....they are literally heading in the other direction by retaining their 2 best players and getting nothing in return.....and this is a team that is very poor going forward even with those 2.....astounding.......I am sure the many flame fans are not very happy getting nothing for 2 declining stars......

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Do you trust that Feaster can pull off amazing trades, sign elite FA's and draft well in the 15 to 20's to eliminate the need for a complete rebuild.
....he's doing a pretty good job of that so far. He's seems to be drafting well through the first four rounds, not just the 15-20 range.

Let's take a look at the results from the 2011 draft, so far:

Sven Baertschi
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
Jon Gadreau
Lauren Brossoit

Each and every single draft pick he chose is now playing well beyond their drafting position.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Do you trust that Feaster can pull off amazing trades, sign elite FA's and draft well in the 15 to 20's to eliminate the need for a complete rebuild.
This is why Feaster is one of the best GMs in the league.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
....he's doing a pretty good job of that so far. He's seems to be drafting well through the first four rounds, not just the 15-20 range.

Let's take a look at the results from the 2011 draft, so far:

Sven Baertschi
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
Jon Gadreau
Lauren Brossoit

Each and every single draft pick he chose is now playing well beyond their drafting position.
He does seem to have recent draft success, but its waaay to early to determine if 2011 was a success, these guys are 2-3 years away. Most guys drafted in these rounds are bottom 6 players

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
hplovecraft

Iginla is a rare exception in this league. He's been with the Flames for his entire career, owns pretty much every Calgary Flames offensive record, is a hero in the city and the province, and is the leader -- heart and soul -- of the team. Trading him away is a difficult decision to make that not many other teams face. It's not as simple as Iginla being "just another asset".

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
Iginla is a rare exception in this league. He's been with the Flames for his entire career, owns pretty much every Calgary Flames offensive record, is a hero in the city and the province, and is the leader -- heart and soul -- of the team. Trading him away is a difficult decision to make that not many other teams face. It's not as simple as Iginla being "just another asset".
Ehhhhhhh maybe the southern part of the province.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
hplovecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Ehhhhhhh maybe the southern part of the province.
He was born in Edmonton, so I am sure there must be a few Edmontonians that like the guy!

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This kills any chance of a decent rebuild the Flames had. It is going to be a long long time to get that team fixed. They are an older group that has very minimal when it comes to high end prospects.
This is absolutly wrong, if you draft right and sign the right FAs you can get rebuild without trading any big names.

I take Tampa as an example, as I am a Tampa fan and follow them a lot

They traded no big name of their franchise in the last 4 years and with 5 great draft years and some decent undrafted signees we are ready to go big in a year 2 .
we have at least 3 guys out of every draft with good/great NHL upside and signed along with 3 great FA signings (Conacher, Johnson, Korobov) and Gauthier is starting to show big promise in the AHL as well.
Well their biggest trade was Downey to Col for a first rounder from Det (3team-trade) and they are only a year or 2 away from contention.

Yes if you trade yor stars the rebuild is quicker but its very important to have a face of your franchise who can carry the young guys and so on, I would be as happy with Iginla retiring in Calgary as a flames fans, as I am with Lecavalier playing his entire hockey life in Tampa ( and yes I think he is overpaid)

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Go Wings

Until I see his name on a new contract I wouldn't rule anything out. Especially if as expected the Flames miss the playoffs again, don't expect him to just resign.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
blankall

Quote:
He does seem to have recent draft success, but its waaay to early to determine if 2011 was a success, these guys are 2-3 years away. Most guys drafted in these rounds are bottom 6 players
Baertschi is not 2-3 years away. He'll probably play a significant portion of time with the big club this year.

Old
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
This is absolutly wrong, if you draft right and sign the right FAs you can get rebuild without trading any big names.

I take Tampa as an example, as I am a Tampa fan and follow them a lot

They traded no big name of their franchise in the last 4 years and with 5 great draft years and some decent undrafted signees we are ready to go big in 2 seasons.
we have at least 3 guys out of every draft with good/great NHL upside and signed along with 3 great FA signings (Conacher, Johnson, Korobov) and Gauthier is starting to show big promise in the AHL as well.
Well their biggest trade was Downey to Col for a first rounder from Det (3team-trade) and they are only a year or 2 away from contention.

Yes if you trade yor stars the rebuild is quicker but its very important to have a face of your franchise who can carry the young guys and so on, I would be as happy with Iginla retiring in Calgary as a flames fans, as I am with Lecavalier playing his entire hockey life in Tampa ( and yes I think he is overpaid)
Tampa drafted Stamkos first and Hedman second, even with the big players they got good picks.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reign Nateo

As someone that's spent some time in Calgary, this is not your typical veteran that you can just flip for youth. He's constantly on TV there, you see his jersey 5:1 to anyone else (maybe more) and it's not unusual to meet someone with a kid named "Jarome" or "Iggy."

He is the Flames. Not re-signing him would have a tremendous negative impact on the city.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Attaboy Jarome.

Then its off the ice and into an office.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

I don`t really get why we are making fun Feaster for this. I mean, I get generally making fun of Feaster and I get wanting Iginla to win a Stanley Cup, but I don`t get making fun of Feaster for giving his captain an offer, if what he wants to do is re-sign. If Iggy wants to become a different type of legend, the one not winning a Cup but being a one team guy, are we really expecting Feaster to force him out? Isn`t that ridiculous in the extreme?

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I don`t really get why we are making fun Feaster for this. I mean, I get generally making fun of Feaster and I get wanting Iginla to win a Stanley Cup, but I don`t get making fun of Feaster for giving his captain an offer, if what he wants to do is re-sign. If Iggy wants to become a different type of legend, the one not winning a Cup but being a one team guy, are we really expecting Feaster to force him out? Isn`t that ridiculous in the extreme?
Sundin v2.0

Old
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Sundin v2.0
Except that Sundin wasn't re-signed. He walked for nothing. Sundin refused to waive his NTC.

Iggy has stated that he would do what's best for the team. So he'll either be re-signed or he'll willingly be traded at the deadline. Either way the Flames get something out of the deal.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:27 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Good for Jarome, if he wants to re-sign then let him re-sign.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
crazyforhockey

well the plus side is you can miss the playoffs and still get a shot at the 1st overall now....slim but possible

dont have a problem with a team honoring a classy player like Iggy.

but take out jarome miika in a about 3 yrs and what do you have??

are they going to get that topend FA?......... even with better drafting and some keys ones at that.....their prospect pool is still a long way off.......unless they beleive their big gamble 1st pick is going to be absolutly one of the best young players.....

The rebuild could take a long time.......and it was a bold move to trade a key beloved player in joe for jarome in the first place

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Elever
Hth

He doesn't have the balls to sign elsewhere if he becomes an FA because he seems too loyal/nice and Feaster doesn't have the balls to trade him.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Except that Sundin wasn't re-signed.
Was referring to the attitude of some fans toward excellent players who did everything they could for a franchise.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
It's also way too early to determine if 2012 was a failure, but search the words "Mark Jankowski" and see what kind of things HF posters are saying about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
The rebuild could take a long time.......and it was a bold move to trade a key beloved player in joe for jarome in the first place
It really wasn't. Nieuwendyk demanded either more money or a trade, and the Flames couldn't afford to pay him at the time. Also, Iginla wasn't who they wanted to get in return - they wanted Todd Harvey, but the Stars wouldn't part with him.

The Flames don't need to trade everyone for "assets" - they need to start using the assets they have in a smarter manner. That means drafting the right players; developing those players properly; not wasting picks and prospects on quick fixes; spending wisely on the free-agent market; and hiring front-office personnel that can spot a player's strengths and weaknesses and use them in a manner that maximizes the former and minimizes the latter.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
blankall

Quote:
Was referring to the attitude of some fans toward excellent players who did everything they could for a franchise.
Once again, Sundin walked on you guys in exchange for more money. He did not do everything he could for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Once again, Sundin walked on you guys in exchange for more money. He did not do everything he could for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
You're not getting it at all and i don't think i have the qualifications to get through.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Sundin v2.0

Last edited by flameaholic: 01-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
BerSTUzzi

I thought he would pull a Bourque (not Rene) and go for a chance at a cup but you gotta respect him for loving the city he plays in.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote