HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It appears iN DEMAND will allow free 'NHL Center Ice' for 2013

Old
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Thanks

What about NHL network games? If NHL network shows Rangers, does MSG black it out then?
yes, either that, or MSG doesn't offer it....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Time Warner San Diego just told me they were "98% sure" that the price was $49.99, but to check back in a couple of days to confirm. I might consider it at that price.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtman View Post
Just got off of chat with Bell and the price will be $50.48 (2 payments of $25.24) for the shortened season.
That would be quite civilized.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Ginu

You all know this is BS right? You get half a season for $50. Last year the whole year package was $160. Basically the NHL is offering you a $30 discount.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Still, $50 sounds very tempting...I will probably bite. I think we will all be watching hockey more than usual since shortened season and we all miss it so much.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
You all know this is BS right? You get half a season for $50. Last year the whole year package was $160. Basically the NHL is offering you a $30 discount.
last year the 2nd half was $109 atleast in Canada and $250 for the season

hey atleast we get cheaper NFL Sunday ticket

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Dado

vCash:
2/3 off for the important half++ of the season, plus the playoffs, seems pretty reasonable, to me.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
It's technically 58% of a season.

Personally, I think it's just about right. I'm hoping for a similar price in Canada from Rogers. Last year I paid $207 plus tax.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
Not to mention all the games you won't get, which is like 148 games of good quality opponents facing off against each other, and that doesn't include your regional team schedule. I hope for a day when blackouts will be a thing of the past, and the argument of "I'm getting rid of cable or dish" will be valued to sports fans as it is to other people.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
That's a rather large discount, no?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Not to mention all the games you won't get, which is like 148 games of good quality opponents facing off against each other, and that doesn't include your regional team schedule. I hope for a day when blackouts will be a thing of the past, and the argument of "I'm getting rid of cable or dish" will be valued to sports fans as it is to other people.
Why would networks hand over millions of dollars if the games could be viewed elsewhere?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Time Warner normally charges $100+ for the late package and doesn't offer it this early in the season. That's at a 50% discount at worst, not a bad deal at all.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Why would networks hand over millions of dollars if the games could be viewed elsewhere?

Why not just have the CI channel(s) synched to the NHL Network or local feed? Are viewing numbers unable to be tracked that way?

Old
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
2/3 off for the important half++ of the season, plus the playoffs, seems pretty reasonable, to me.
playoffs are free in Canada(CBC, TSN and TSN 2) and USA(NBC, NBCSN, NHL Network)

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Maybe NHL Network should have spent the money improving themselves as a network, like HAVING OFFSEASON PROGRAMMING. I understand blackouts, but to blackout every game that's on NHL Network is really dumb, especially since GCL and NHL Network ran by the same people (I think).

As for why networks would have millions of dollars for games that could be viewed elsewhere, why does NBC offer internet streaming than? Why can't they stream the NHL Sports Network game?

As for a better question, why would I pay what the NHL is asking for when I know a lot of the games I would want to see are already on national TV. I'm a hockey fan, living in the Bay Area so I already have blacked out sharks games. As for the other games, there's no way in hell I would see a Caps/Pens game on GCL because it's blacked out.

In terms of the whole argument regarding cable and being a sports fan, it is almost like cable companies hold sports fans hostage the most. They know you'll ingest what they bring you, so there are no OPTIONS for the consumer. You pay, or shut up. I just wish there was a suitable compromise in this situation but of course there won't be.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

called my provider (cogeco) and they said they were clueless and haven't heard anything... doesn't mean it's not happening, but first time the CSR heard anything about this was me today.

NHL just make gamecenter free for the year and screw the telecom companies.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Fenway

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
called my provider (cogeco) and they said they were clueless and haven't heard anything... doesn't mean it's not happening, but first time the CSR heard anything about this was me today.

NHL just make gamecenter free for the year and screw the telecom companies.
Bettman confirms that the NHL CAN'T give away Center Ice

Quote:
“We have partners in that business, so we don’t have the luxury of just giving it away,” he said. “What we’re trying to do is get it to a place where we think it’s certainly a very good offer, but it’s something that the business partners … can live with.”
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...Db_LSDJM.email

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Fenway

vCash: 50
From the NHL

Pricing for NHL Center Ice will be $49.99 for the season, if you're ordering from an inDEMAND system. For DirecTV users, it will be $59.96, broken down into four payments of $14.99. A free preview can be seen from opening night on Jan. 19 until Jan. 31.

GameCenter Live will be $49.99, streamable via your computer and various devices like Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Roku, smartphones and tablets.

Because the entirety of the NHL playoffs in the U.S. are now broadcast via NBC's networks, all subscriptions for Center Ice and GameCenter Live will include just the regular season.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
From the NHL

Pricing for NHL Center Ice will be $49.99 for the season, if you're ordering from an inDEMAND system. For DirecTV users, it will be $59.96, broken down into four payments of $14.99. A free preview can be seen from opening night on Jan. 19 until Jan. 31.

GameCenter Live will be $49.99, streamable via your computer and various devices like Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Roku, smartphones and tablets.

Because the entirety of the NHL playoffs in the U.S. are now broadcast via NBC's networks, all subscriptions for Center Ice and GameCenter Live will include just the regular season.
Is GCL a yearly subscription?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
playoffs are free in Canada(CBC, TSN and TSN 2) and USA(NBC, NBCSN, NHL Network)
Free? Does anybody really get TSN, TSN2, NBCSN, or NHL Network for free? Of your list, I am pretty sure that only CBC and NBC are free.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Still, $50 sounds very tempting...I will probably bite. I think we will all be watching hockey more than usual since shortened season and we all miss it so much.
I'll probably not watch any, and if I do it will only be games shown on free over-the-air television.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
Only 2 of those channels are free...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Schroedingers Cat

Saying all the games are on "free" networks is a little disingenuous as, at least in my area, you have to pay $100 a month for any cable package that includes NBCSN or the NHL Network.

I'll just get Game center Live with a UK proxy.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Free? Does anybody really get TSN, TSN2, NBCSN, or NHL Network for free? Of your list, I am pretty sure that only CBC and NBC are free.
I had to buy the "sports package" or something like that for Verizon Fios in order to get NHL Network, which I believe costs me an extra $15-20 per month. Basically, I pay $20 each month just for NHL Network since I never watch the other channels included.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
From the NHL

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...MTEyLmZyZWUiXQ..

Is this the only app for android? Does anyone know how to watch live games?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote