HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Corey Pronman's Top 50 NHL Prospects, Midseason

Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
Despite being a Wings fan myself I have to agree with some other people that Corey tends to over-rate Detroit's prospects a bit.
I think Jarnkrok and Tatar are good prospects and will have good NHL careers but to put both of them over Jakob Silfverberg doesn't really make sense to me.
I don't think he overrates them so much as he agrees with Detroit's draft philosophy more than other teams. You have to remember, Corey is a puck possession guy first and foremost. In that sense you can almost think of this list as "which prospects would Detroit like the best?"

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Jurky
Free the HolySlapper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Jarnkrok and Silfverberg are both pretty much even.
Corey has CJ @ 26 and JS@ 41 far from even.
I'm really excited about Jarnkrok but I'd swap him or Tatar for Silfverberg any day. I'd say Nyquist is closer to even to JS, with a slight edge to Silf

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I fail to see how Sven Baertschi would regress on your rankings. He was the top point producer on the lowest scoring team in the AHL (0.86 PPG), and proved albeit in a short stint at the NHL level that he can produce and compete with the best of them.

Being 5'11" 190 pounds is hardly concerning either. For whatever reason you clearly are not the biggest fan of him which is fine, but I don't quite grasp your reasoning (especially considering where players like Granlund, Teravainen, and Nyquist are listed).

All in all it's an understandable list, and I appreciate the effort. Thanks.
Baertschi didn't fall in my eyes, my opinion on him hasn't changed, but others (Lindholm, Trouba, Scheifele, Barrie) rose thus the marginal drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
Interested in hearing your thoughts on some Sabres prospects. What about Marcus Foligno (assume he still is a prospect) who had a great first 14 games in the NHL and has been a stud in the AHL? Also what about Jake McCabe who just made the all tournament team at the WJC?
Foligno is a player who continues to improve. He has the elite physical ability but his skating looks fine, he's making the plays with the puck. I wouldn't put him in a top 50 conversation, but he looks like he could be a scorer in the league to go along with the other great qualities he brings. McCabe showed in Ufa he can be a quality shutdown, physical defender but I think he has some offensive upside too. He's used on the PP at Wisconsin in a prime offensive role and shows some creativity there too. If his skating went up a notch I could be very optimistic about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Love looking over Pronman lists, get a fresh set of eyes on certain hockey qualities like puck possession. Always enjoy when it's a break from the norm.

Also really happy to see that the Winnipeg prospects have showed continued improvement. Chevy has stated they look for players that are on the incline and I'm happy their 1st round choices have continued to improve.

That being said, Corey, what have you heard or seen from another Jets prospect in Adam Lowry? I understand why he wouldn't make a top list like this, but I'm interested to hear what upside you think he may have. At first he was looking like a bottom 6er, but after I saw him last year I thought he had 2nd line upside and he's continued his strong play this season. Just interested to hear your opinion on his higher end tools.
Lowry is a player I have not made a lot of calls on recently. I know he's had a large uptick in production, but I can't say if that is due to anything significant in development or just being a 19 year old in the CHL. Prior to this season I would have said I see him as potentially a quality third line two-way forward with his skating keeping him from that next level.

-----

Re: my take on DET players, in all honesty while they have developed pretty good players outside the organization, I believe these prospects are so valuable partly because they're so far ahead in their development due to the backlog DET has had. It's why I don't foresee such a lofty ranking on DET's system this summer because likely 2 or 3 of their top prospects will graduate. Smith and Nyquist are likely in the NHL last year on most teams.

Corey Pronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Jacko95

Corey, thanks for your answer on my Koekkoek question, but I have another one

I totally overlooked Mark Barberio on the HM. Bolts fans are pretty high on him, but it seems like some followers start to think even higher of Radko Gudas because his game is more complete. So it would be nice if you could share your thoughts about him. Who do you think has the higher upside?

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

No Markström either.

Florida should definitely have more in the top50, but oh well..

Pronman is well known for his major mancrush on Wings prospects, and I don't understand why. They pick draft fallers that fall out of the 1st round and have a history of finding gems. But still, these ones doesn't really need to turnout as well as it has earlier for Detroit.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

I always appreciate lists off the board such as this but I also take them with a grain of salt. I cannot fathom how these rankings are put together, and I disagree with almost all of it, but again off the board rankings are always good discussion.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
Corey has CJ @ 26 and JS@ 41 far from even.
I'm really excited about Jarnkrok but I'd swap him or Tatar for Silfverberg any day. I'd say Nyquist is closer to even to JS, with a slight edge to Silf
Well it's already been generally agreed upon I this board that Silfverberg should be higher.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
No Markström either.

Pronman is well known for his major mancrush on Wings prospects, and I don't understand why. They pick draft fallers that fall out of the 1st round and have a history of finding gems. But still, these ones doesn't really need to turnout as well as it has earlier for Detroit.
He doesn't include goaltenders. Aside from Huberdeau and Bjugstad who else from the Panthers should make the grade? This is the top 50-not the top 500.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
No Markström either.

Besides Markstrom who isnt going to make it because he is a goalie who should Florida have on there?

Grimmaldi and Rau are both very skilled, but have major size issues and questions that they will translate.

Shore has had a good season, but there were others excluded that have been better both historically and this year(see Jason Zucker), Howden has been down. Gubranson is graduated. Matheson has been good, but nothing to write home to Mom about.

Seems to me he got it fairly close to right.

ThatGuy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
mystc411

Corey,

I didn't really expect to see any Flyers prospects on there, but what are your thoughts on or what are you hearing about Laughton and Gostisbehere?

mystc411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
AaronEkbald

Guy said Bjugstad wasn't wowing him this season.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 01-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.
AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
A bit surprised that Armia is excluded. He is probably one of the 5 most talented prospects out there. I get that he is a roller coaster in terms of what player shows up, but in terms of raw talent, he's miles ahead of many of the players listed. I honestly think you could make an argument for him being a top 10 prospect and not be wrong, let alone top 50 + HM.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
AaronEkbald

Also,

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Out of curiousity, Pronman, what appealed to you in Palmieri over Holland? I'm not being critical, just genuinely curious. Holland has an intriguing skillset in his own right, and has been Norfolk's best forward during the lockout. He also brings NHL size, and a well-rounded game. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Carter. Overall, however, they both seem about the same level, although to Palmieri's credit I'd have to say he's been better at the AHL level a little longer.

What is it about Palmieri that you like over Holland? Or is it just the longer period of consistency?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
LeftCoast

Frankie Corrado gets dissed again.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
dbhislife

Does he not list goalies normally? Markstrom is a pretty big omission since hes top 20-25 on most lists...

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Corey Pronman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
As for the list, not one will be perfect for everyone but I always like reading Corey's lists. Curious if Sheahan's offensive development to go along with his already strong tools and rounded game has him trending back in a place where scouts are getting pretty high on him?
Sheahan's a hard guy to get a grasp on. He's so talented, but the stats never align with the skill level despite his recent good run. Scouts I've talked to see him as a 2/3 line tweener although I think he may have another gear.

Quote:
No Markström either.

Well a few things: The bias/mancrush or whatever you wish to call it I feel is unjustified. In my previous post, I explained partially why some DET prospects have been ranked highly due to a systematic trend within that team. Also if you wish to say a certain prospect does not belong on this list or at a certain point, I welcome that debate and am willing to defend my positions on particular players. I believe it is more useful to keep the debate about players, and not myself.

On FLA, in the summer I ranked their system as #1 in the NHL and had six prospects in my top 100 and a FLA prospect at 101. They had two more players not too far off the list either. I do not under appreciate their system in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystc411 View Post
Corey,

I didn't really expect to see any Flyers prospects on there, but what are your thoughts on or what are you hearing about Laughton and Gostisbehere?
I liked the Flyers 2012 draft. Outside of the two you named I like Reece Wilcox and I think Fredric Larsson and Vasiliev have outside chances as well.

Laughton is a guy who I hear divided opinion on in terms of his offensive upside. Some think it's legit, others are on the fence, but his intangibles are not disputed. I'm a Gostisbehere fan, heard a lot of good things about him over the summer which I was I had him as my #3 PHI prospect. Really skilled puck mover who can skate at a high level too. His D still needs some work, but he's a prospect with upside, a kind of player the Flyers have tended to lack in their system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
A bit surprised that Armia is excluded. He is probably one of the 5 most talented prospects out there. I get that he is a roller coaster in terms of what player shows up, but in terms of raw talent, he's miles ahead of many of the players listed. I honestly think you could make an argument for him being a top 10 prospect and not be wrong, let alone top 50 + HM.
Armia was the very last cut from the HM group. I had like 20 originally in that bunch but figured I had to trim it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Out of curiousity, Pronman, what appealed to you in Palmieri over Holland? I'm not being critical, just genuinely curious. Holland has an intriguing skillset in his own right, and has been Norfolk's best forward during the lockout. He also brings NHL size, and a well-rounded game. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Carter. Overall, however, they both seem about the same level, although to Palmieri's credit I'd have to say he's been better at the AHL level a little longer.

What is it about Palmieri that you like over Holland? Or is it just the longer period of consistency?
Consistency is one thing, Holland's gotten better in that area every year but still not at a reasonable level yet. Palmieri just does everything well: Speed, grit, hands, hockey sense, finishing, defense. He's proven it at the pro level for a few years too. It's hard not to like a player like that. I have liked Holland's progression this year though, he's got a decent shot to be a scoring line forward especially since his defense has improved too.

Corey Pronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Intoewsables

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Frankie Corrado gets dissed again.
He's just not a top-50 NHL prospect.

Intoewsables is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman View Post
Re: my take on DET players, in all honesty while they have developed pretty good players outside the organization, I believe these prospects are so valuable partly because they're so far ahead in their development due to the backlog DET has had. It's why I don't foresee such a lofty ranking on DET's system this summer because likely 2 or 3 of their top prospects will graduate. Smith and Nyquist are likely in the NHL last year on most teams.
I think this is a good point. Wings prospects are on average older, so of course they'll be better players on an absolute scale. They get extra development time (whether they need it or not) before they hit the NHL level. Of course, this also means the players they "should" be measured against are already in the NHL and thus they look ranked more highly than they are.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
SmellOfVictory

edit: Never mind, just learned how to read.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman View Post
Consistency is one thing, Holland's gotten better in that area every year but still not at a reasonable level yet. Palmieri just does everything well: Speed, grit, hands, hockey sense, finishing, defense. He's proven it at the pro level for a few years too. It's hard not to like a player like that. I have liked Holland's progression this year though, he's got a decent shot to be a scoring line forward especially since his defense has improved too.
That's fair. I'd certainly agree that the consistency is an important part. Palmieri has two(+ now) years of pro hockey under his belt vs Holland's one. When looking strictly at their toolbox, I'd say they are about even. On the other hand, Palmieri seems to have a gritty abrasiveness to his game, and just a willingness to get his hands dirty.

Last season, there were a number of us who were saying that Palmieri would probably be drawing more hype if he were in a bigger market. Not elite, top of the prospects type hype, but definitely real top six potential. In particular, I think he has top six instincts, hands, and wrist shot.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
Quote:
No Markström either.

Did you just choose to not read the posts ahead of yours or the reasoning given in his article? Especially in regards to goalies.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

How are Erixon, Rielly, Teravainen, and H.Lindholm ranked about Baertschi?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
How are Erixon, Rielly, Teravainen, and H.Lindholm ranked about Baertschi?
Rielly and H. Lindholm have been great since being drafted?

Old
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
eyeball11

Does a 6'0" 205 lb 18 year old really need "to bulk up a ton"?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote