HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Connolly

Old
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
As a Phoenix fan I'd go as high as Goncharov and a 3rd, but only if Toronto is willing to retain AT LEAST a million and a half.
Shortened season, if he was acquired around the deadline Phoenix would be on the hook for only around 1M anyway. I think he would be a good fit for Phoenix if he could stay healthy. He's a guy you could use on your PP and PK. Toronto has no use for him in either role any longer. McClement and Steckel will center the PK in Toronto and there's no room for him on the PP

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Lebda Snipes

TO is not getting much for Connolly. He is either going to be a toss in with a trade, or he is released after the season when his contracts up. His contract is much higher than his production and teams, even contenders looking for a cup, wont have the cap space for his salary when he will most likely play 3rd/4th line minutes.

Lebda Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
His value is pretty much non existent. Maybe gets you Luongo with a 2nd thrown in.
If he could've gotten that, then the deal would've been done already.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
If he could've gotten that, then the deal would've been done already.
A player has to be available to make a deal and no one has ever said Connolly is available.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
His value is pretty much non existent. Maybe gets you Luongo with a 2nd thrown in.
That would be absolute robbery for the Buds.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
KIRK

Quote:
A player has to be available to make a deal and no one has ever said Connolly is available.
Well, if Burke didn't make Connolly available for Luongo, then I understand why he was fired.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
m9

I'm in the minority as a Canucks fan but I'd like Connolly back in the Luongo deal. He can replace Kesler for a bit and if he shows well could be given a shot on his wing later.

Obviously there would be much more to the trade but he's the roster guy I would get included for salary reasons.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Well, if Burke didn't make Connolly available for Luongo, then I understand why he was fired.
I don't recall the Canucks asking for Connolly. Link?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:29 AM
KIRK

Quote:
You suggested Connolly's value is such that he and a 2nd get you Luongo. I had thought that my reply was pretty clear in its allusion to how that overvalued Connolly. Apparently, I was mistaken about everyone being able to catch that.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
You suggested Connolly's value is such that he and a 2nd get you Luongo. I had thought that my reply was pretty clear in its allusion to how that overvalued Connolly. Apparently, I was mistaken about everyone being able to catch that.
No problem. You're not alone, people get confused on here all the time.

I always thought when someone asks for value it's just perceived value, not "why hasn't he been traded for that player yet?"

Old
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Beleafer4

Any trade with connolly would involve us retaining as much cap space + salary as possible. We have space + deep pockets. What we want is the best return.

Anyway connolly is a special teams guy. Good on the pp and pk. Hes also a fair bet to pot 50 points. He is skille but soft and injury prone. Anyway if we retain 50% of his salary i could see him valuing a late 2nd.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Any trade with connolly would involve us retaining as much cap space + salary as possible. We have space + deep pockets. What we want is the best return.

Anyway connolly is a special teams guy. Good on the pp and pk. Hes also a fair bet to pot 50 points. He is skille but soft and injury prone. Anyway if we retain 50% of his salary i could see him valuing a late 2nd.
Agreed. Only way we get a value return is if TO coughs up the dough to pay part of his salary. Something i wouldnt mind doing considering he only has a year left on the contract.

getting a 2nd back would have TO fans smiling.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
His cap hit doesn't really mean jack all when he's a UFA after this season. What's that extra cap going to do anyways? Play backup G? You guys act like cap space is its own statistical category.

Connolly's really not even that bad. He's a decent defensive 3C that can chip in half a point per game. I think he'd be a decent fit in SJS.
How can you say his cap hit doesn't mean anything?

It means that any team that is close to the cap can't take him on, it means that any team that would take him is getting terrible value for their money and they could spend it on a player that would be much more valuable to them.

Who cares about next year, that isn't what this thread is about, it is about who would want him for the rest of this year at his current cap hit.

The Sharks need to add players for the season, Connolly would use up more than half their cap space and would prohibit them from being able to make further moves when the deadline comes unless they are moving salary off of their books as well.

I dobn't see the appeal of an overpaid, oft injured, 3rd liner. $4.75 million could be spent a lot wiser than Connolly.

There is a salary cap and a lot of teams a close to it, sure Phoenix or the Islanders would have no problem fitting that salary but why would they pay to have Connolly on their team? They aren't in the charity business.

The Leafs signed him out of desperation, he didn't work out, he is what he is, and he is highly overpaid and in a capped league that matters.

I bet that if he had more than one year left on his contract he would be one of the first players bought out in the offseason.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
If Gillis didnt ask for Connolly then he should be fired...

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Considering the team has never tried to build through the draft, and has actually followed your philosophy of continually "going for it" despite never having the pieces to do so, I think it's safe to say that your philosophy has led to this team being the biggest loser in literally the entire league since the lockout

There is a time to hold onto your pending Free Agents and try and make a playoff run, but this is not it.
Are you really content missing the playoffs for the next 5 years after already being out for the last 8? That is 13 years of watching a failed product and even at the end of it, you may not be any closer to the playoffs. A mid-round pick sounds real nice, but the odds of it turning into a better player than Connolly is... slim to none.

There is a time to hold onto your pending free agents and currently this is one. No games have been played and the Maple Leafs are not yet out of a playoff race. If the Leafs are out of contention at the deadline and want to recieve a premium of picks/prospects then sell off some UFA's.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I tried but I can't think of one team that would want this guy.

His cap hit is at least twice what it should be and he usually ends up injured.

His stats aren't what they need to be, I could see him getting a chance to prove himself again in the AHL after this contract is over, but I don't see any team wanting him for their NHL team for this season.
Good thing Leafs can keep salary in the new CBA when trading a player.

I think the Leafs can easily get a 3rd if they keep 2M and trade him for 2.75M for 1 year.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Third, although I could see him getting a second at the deadline.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Are you really content missing the playoffs for the next 5 years after already being out for the last 8? That is 13 years of watching a failed product and even at the end of it, you may not be any closer to the playoffs. A mid-round pick sounds real nice, but the odds of it turning into a better player than Connolly is... slim to none.

There is a time to hold onto your pending free agents and currently this is one. No games have been played and the Maple Leafs are not yet out of a playoff race. If the Leafs are out of contention at the deadline and want to recieve a premium of picks/prospects then sell off some UFA's.

QFT.

If the Leafs are out of it come deadline time then of course Tim Connolly should be put up on the block. But, until that happens, the only way he's available, is in a deal that improves our hockey club... which should be possible. He's a depth centre in Toronto, but certainly capable of taking on top 6 role for another team, so they should be willing to part with a blueliner.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Good thing Leafs can keep salary in the new CBA when trading a player.

I think the Leafs can easily get a 3rd if they keep 2M and trade him for 2.75M for 1 year.
That might work, it wasn't stated that way by the OP so it wasn't something I considered.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
mark3361

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
QFT.

If the Leafs are out of it come deadline time then of course Tim Connolly should be put up on the block. But, until that happens, the only way he's available, is in a deal that improves our hockey club... which should be possible. He's a depth centre in Toronto, but certainly capable of taking on top 6 role for another team, so they should be willing to part with a blueliner.
what? he's a depth C for Toronto, which currently doesnt have any good centers, but is top 6 worthy on another team?

mark3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Leafs should Keep Connolly. Played well with Steckel on the third line and how can we forget the body slam on marchand? Connolly should center the third line and if injuries happen to grabo/bozak, he can take the #2 spot for a temporary time.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3361 View Post
what? he's a depth C for Toronto, which currently doesnt have any good centers, but is top 6 worthy on another team?
Toronto has 3 good centres. They don't have any excellent ones (i.e. guys that are good in a first line role).

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Easily worth a 2nd at the trade deadline. If Toronto isn't playoff bound by then, Connolly is as good as gone.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Toronto has 3 good centres. They don't have any excellent ones (i.e. guys that are good in a first line role).
Toroto has 1 second line centre and two third line centres.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
QFT.

depth center on the Leafs, yet top 6 on another team? what team? if you could get top 6 value from another team with that contract hit then the Leafs made a huge mistake retaining Nonis, you should be the one running the team

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote