HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2012, 09:49 AM
  #51
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
That is simply not true. You must have selective memory.
How is this not true? All I read about Garrison is how he wanted to go back home to Van. We offered him more money than Van did, but he chose to go home. I've never heard Garrison say "I wanna retire a Panther"

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:31 AM
  #52
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
How is this not true? All I read about Garrison is how he wanted to go back home to Van. We offered him more money than Van did, but he chose to go home. I've never heard Garrison say "I wanna retire a Panther"
Yes its so easy to say that in hindsight, but as to the point of "nobody thought he was gonna resign", the majority of fans for the majority of the year believed he would resign and were in fact offended at the suggestion that he wouldn't. Maybe towards the end of the season and into the offseason many fans' opinions changed but certainly not throughout most the regular season.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
  #53
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Yes its so easy to say that in hindsight, but as to the point of "nobody thought he was gonna resign", the majority of fans for the majority of the year believed he would resign and were in fact offended at the suggestion that he wouldn't. Maybe towards the end of the season and into the offseason many fans' opinions changed but certainly not throughout most the regular season.
I think the majority of fans "Wanted" him to resign but no one really knew whether he would or not. I Just don't remember hearing him on any interview talking about how he wants to retire a Panther. I also don't get why people were offended by him leaving? He had every right to test free agency. He didn't pull a Bo,where he went back and forth and then just split, he chose to go to FA.
Also, side note I guess, but I don't think it will hurt us not having him back there. While I think he had an outstanding season last season, and he was a good defender, I think he wasn't as great as people made him out to be and he didn't deserve all the hype. Yes, he's good and I don't have hard feelings towards him or hate him, but he had one great season amoungst mediocre-good seasons. If he can keep producing like he did when paired with Campbell, I'll eat my words but for now I don't see him repeating.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
  #54
Dr Beinfest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Hey guys, maybe he is retiring after this season!

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
  #55
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Yes its so easy to say that in hindsight, but as to the point of "nobody thought he was gonna resign", the majority of fans for the majority of the year believed he would resign and were in fact offended at the suggestion that he wouldn't. Maybe towards the end of the season and into the offseason many fans' opinions changed but certainly not throughout most the regular season.
I thought he wanted to re-sign until his thoughts in Vancouver came out. My issue was with those saying the Panthers shouldn't pay him if he asked for a certain amount, thus letting him walk.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:17 AM
  #56
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
the sky is falling, the sky is falling


if he signs, great

if he leaves, he will be replaced by a prospect or a free agent. his days of being the entire team are coming to an end if theyre not over already. its time to stop placing so much emphasis on a 2nd liner
The problem is, the free agent or prospect we replace him with won't be as good, at least not initially. He's a good player and people don't want to lose him, I don't want to see a good player and leader leave when he have the opportunity to lock him up for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
This situation isnt a matter of "trusting Tallon". He has nothing to do with Weiss' decision. I'm sure he will make a fair offer, but he cant make Weiss stay.

The sooner everyone realizes it the better: with these comments, Weiss is signaling that he WILL TEST FREE AGENCY. 100% GUARANTEE.

If he wanted to be a Panther for life, then he would be.

He will see how much money he can make on July 1st.

Now, this doesnt mean that the Panthers won't eventually sign him, but it does mean he will be a FA.

I can remember early in the season last year that no one wanted to accept the reality that Garrison would go to FA, and gave every reason under the sun why he wouldnt. Well, it did, and it's gonna happen again.
The point about trusting Tallon is that Tallon knows Weiss' intentions better than anyone else besides Weiss. He knows the money Weiss is seeking and he knows what he can pay him. Yes, Weiss will test free agency, but that doesn't mean he will leave. Tallon knows the chances of Weiss leaving better than anyone here.

Nobody's going to pay Weiss 6+M if he isn't going to be their 1st line center, so he's not going to Chicago, Toronto, etc. I'm going out on a limb and calling that right now. Especially since we all know the cap is going to go down when the NHL gets back. I think the chances of keeping Weiss are very good.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
  #57
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The problem is, the free agent or prospect we replace him with won't be as good, at least not initially. He's a good player and people don't want to lose him, I don't want to see a good player and leader leave when he have the opportunity to lock him up for awhile.



The point about trusting Tallon is that Tallon knows Weiss' intentions better than anyone else besides Weiss. He knows the money Weiss is seeking and he knows what he can pay him. Yes, Weiss will test free agency, but that doesn't mean he will leave. Tallon knows the chances of Weiss leaving better than anyone here.

Nobody's going to pay Weiss 6+M if he isn't going to be their 1st line center, so he's not going to Chicago, Toronto, etc. I'm going out on a limb and calling that right now. Especially since we all know the cap is going to go down when the NHL gets back. I think the chances of keeping Weiss are very good.
I agree with this.. However, if Versteeg and Flash get 4.5.. Weiss should get 5 IMO.

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:05 PM
  #58
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
How would this work now with the lockout?
All those guys we paid last offseason...would this be year 2 of their contract or does it not count?

I ask because I'm kinda hoping it does count, but I'm almost positive it doesn't.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
  #59
FrolikFan67
Registered User
 
FrolikFan67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
i think 4-4.5 is right for weiss, 5 and over seems like too much, but thats just me. he's only scored over 21 goals once, he's usually a 19-22 goal guy that can put up 60 pts max, if he played like he did in the '09-'10 then 5mil wouldnt be bad. flash is our best offensive player and he gets 4.5, versteeg is right there in our top 3 offensive players and signed for 4.4, and to be honest, i don't see weiss as a guy that would demand a lot of money, look at the contract he's on now, its veryyyy affordable for what he brings. i wouldnt be surprised if he signed for 4-4.25mil per. our main issue is scoring goals, giving at least 5mil to a guy who can barely break 20, as much as i love him, is too much, especially if the cap is expected to go down. he doesnt get thatttt many assists to cover for the 20 goals imo.

also, what did bergenheim injure and when is he expected to be back? and when will gudbranson start playing w/ san antonio?

FrolikFan67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
  #60
gizmo12688
Registered User
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
How would this work now with the lockout?
All those guys we paid last offseason...would this be year 2 of their contract or does it not count?

I ask because I'm kinda hoping it does count, but I'm almost positive it doesn't.
Pretty sure it does count.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:05 AM
  #61
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
I agree with this.. However, if Versteeg and Flash get 4.5.. Weiss should get 5 IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
i think 4-4.5 is right for weiss, 5 and over seems like too much, but thats just me. he's only scored over 21 goals once, he's usually a 19-22 goal guy that can put up 60 pts max, if he played like he did in the '09-'10 then 5mil wouldnt be bad. flash is our best offensive player and he gets 4.5, versteeg is right there in our top 3 offensive players and signed for 4.4, and to be honest, i don't see weiss as a guy that would demand a lot of money, look at the contract he's on now, its veryyyy affordable for what he brings. i wouldnt be surprised if he signed for 4-4.25mil per. our main issue is scoring goals, giving at least 5mil to a guy who can barely break 20, as much as i love him, is too much, especially if the cap is expected to go down. he doesnt get thatttt many assists to cover for the 20 goals imo.

also, what did bergenheim injure and when is he expected to be back? and when will gudbranson start playing w/ san antonio?
I think Weiss should get at least 5M. He's a much better all round player than Steeger. If we don't pay him 5, someone else definitely will. Steeger was also an RFA, not a UFA. Flash wasn't a proven 60 pt. scorer when we signed him, the contract fits now but remember last summer when so many people were telling us we grossly overpaid for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Pretty sure it does count.
Yes it does.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  #62
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think Weiss should get at least 5M. He's a much better all round player than Steeger. If we don't pay him 5, someone else definitely will. Steeger was also an RFA, not a UFA. Flash wasn't a proven 60 pt. scorer when we signed him, the contract fits now but remember last summer when so many people were telling us we grossly overpaid for him.



Yes it does.
Toronto will offer at least 5 million. Weiss is an ideal #2 center and as everyone knows can slot in on the top line if you must put him there. He easily gets 5. I'm concerned he's going to the highest bidder because he definitely has been underpaid the last few years.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM
  #63
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.
 
Howboutthempanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brow. County, Fl.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Toronto will offer at least 5 million. Weiss is an ideal #2 center and as everyone knows can slot in on the top line if you must put him there. He easily gets 5. I'm concerned he's going to the highest bidder because he definitely has been underpaid the last few years.
Yeah, the one thing I've learned is not to assume anything. Just prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I hope he stays but I'm prepared either way. All things being equal though, the only place I can see him leaving us for is Toronto. But like I say, that's if all things are equal. If some other team for some reason blows us out the water with an offer then maybe he goes there.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
  #64
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,791
vCash: 500
Give him 5 and the C. He's stuck it out here through all the bull****.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
  #65
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Give him 5 and the C. He's stuck it out here through all the bull****.
This.. I think he should get the C this year, and when that happen, there is no doubt he signs IMO

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  #66
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Toronto will offer at least 5 million. Weiss is an ideal #2 center and as everyone knows can slot in on the top line if you must put him there. He easily gets 5. I'm concerned he's going to the highest bidder because he definitely has been underpaid the last few years.
I think Tallon will match anything to up around 6, and I don't think another team is going to offer more than that. A lot of these teams other fans speculate about are already up against the cap and have a ton of money tied up in their core players already.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  #67
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think Tallon will match anything to up around 6, and I don't think another team is going to offer more than that. A lot of these teams other fans speculate about are already up against the cap and have a ton of money tied up in their core players already.
I dont think anyone is going to offer $6 million per for Weiss. I think $5 million would be the most, maybe $5.25. I still dont see him going anywhere, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him get $5 million per from Tallon.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:00 PM
  #68
FrolikFan67
Registered User
 
FrolikFan67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
yea i think 5 is his ceiling, maybe another team offers 5.5 or something but we'd probably offer 5, and even that is slightly generous.

FrolikFan67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
  #69
Pantherkidd101
Don't Read This
 
Pantherkidd101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Miramar, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pantherkidd101
Please sign him.

Pantherkidd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:36 AM
  #70
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Lu for Weiss?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
  #71
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Lu for Weiss?
haha

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
  #72
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
haha
ok you can have Ballard for Upshall, too.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:24 AM
  #73
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Lu for Weiss?
I think what he means to ask from us at canuckland is if and only if weiss decides to move on this summer, and makes this clear to management would you do the trade, or would you be looking for different asset back then lou.

Obviously at this stage this is all unfounded speculation. Doug mclean mentioned today he does not want to resign with flordia but doug is not the most reliable guy either.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
  #74
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I think what he means to ask from us at canuckland is if and only if weiss decides to move on this summer, and makes this clear to management would you do the trade, or would you be looking for different asset back then lou.

Obviously at this stage this is all unfounded speculation. Doug mclean mentioned today he does not want to resign with flordia but doug is not the most reliable guy either.
Weiss says he wants to re-sign with the Panthers. I don't listen to anything McLean says, Kypreos is much more reputable than him. Weiss just wants to make sure he gets paid what's fair. I really don't think he's told Tallon he wants to move on. If he has though, yeah I'd do that, because we'd be losing him anyway.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
  #75
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,563
vCash: 500
problem with not signing till after the season is over.... is then there is a very small window from the end of playoffs to FA......then they start thinking Im this close I should just see whats avaliable out there.....then it becomes a bidding fest for a highly coveted piece ..... a high end playmaking centerman

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.