HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps training camp thread

Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
So if he's just hearing about this now, I guess we can safely say he's never actually watched a Caps game. I can't say I find that surprising.

By the way, how long have we been doing that chant? It's been there for as long as I can remember, but that's not that long compared to the life of the franchise.
Tony K makes no secret that he could care less for the NHL, and he was reading a story in the WaPost that referred to the chant as "that old familiar chant", or something like, that and that set him off. Saying that whoever came up with the great marketing ploy like "Rock the Red" couldn't come up with a better crowd chant. ITs clear Tony K has no idea who starts chants like that because it usually isn't started by someone working for a marketing company.

I listen to Tony K daily and know that Tony K is one of those talking heads that likes to refer to any teams fan base as "whatever NATION". Like Skins Nation, Raider Nation, etc... But wasn't that orginiated with the Red Sox? Tony K being a hypocrite is nothing new. Still enjoy his show though.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Anyone know how Ribeiro and Wolski have looked so far?

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Anyone know how Ribeiro and Wolski have looked so far?
It's Gretzky and Kurri all over again...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
It's Gretzky and Kurri all over again...
TY, i actually spit coffee when i read this. hahahaha

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
So if he's just hearing about this now, I guess we can safely say he's never actually watched a Caps game. I can't say I find that surprising.

By the way, how long have we been doing that chant? It's been there for as long as I can remember, but that's not that long compared to the life of the franchise.
That it's not new doesn't make it any less horrible. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Catching a futbol match one will see how primitive our CAPS CAPS CAPS cheer is. But it's how we roll. Honk honk honk sets the bar pretty low. Let's Go Caps must blow minds.

Back on topic, I feel confident in saying if I didn't care no one here would even be talking about Ovi wanting to move to RW. Like trying to slip Feds to Defense in a playoff OT, its a big deal.

Oates certainly seems on board with the idea, Ovi at RW for the first 2 practices.

I wonder, was he playing RW in the KHL.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
MiSe

No he was playing to Nicky's left in the K

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
No he was playing to Nicky's left in the K
Cool thanks Mise

I feel like Ovi can score from anywhere. While his passing is hit or miss, and the backhand isn't very strong, he dominates at pretty much everything else offensive.

I can't wait to see him a truck that LD that tries to hit him going wide.

Instead of using RD screens to score as he has at LW, the goalie not really adjusting much, at RW he can use his straight line speed to force the goalie to constantly adjust his angle as he moves down the wing. He can shoot from in much deeper than he does at LW, buying time to pass if he wants - wait for the left shots to get into place, Green and Carlson get time to move up for a drop pass. The goalie sucked down way out of position.

He can hold it and go behind the net. Chara can maybe stop him, but many LD will be overmatched. We should also see Ovi try a few wrap arounds. I cant recall ever seeing him even try that.

I assume we see a new trick added to his arsenal - the curl and drag a la Semin once he gets guys favoring him going wide.

I am expecting Ovi to open the year in beast mode.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Makes you wonder why Ovechkin was kept at LW being a right handed shot so long. Yes it worked when he was winning MVP so you dont fix whats not broken. But limiting him playing on backhand made it so predictable for other teams to shut him down.

Good neutral zone passes werent going to happen off his backhand and if they did he would have to turn his hips to make forehand pass. Now he can make good passes while in full stride.

Im hoping to see lots of touch passes between Ovie and Backstrom who now have their forehands facing each other and MoJo using his speed to crash the net.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I'm hoping to see someone larger and stronger than Johansson crashing the net.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
SDBondra

The obvious answer is to have everyone on our first line play left wing. Johansson will play left wing on the left side. Backstrom will play left wing but also forecheck hardest and take faceoffs. Ovechkin will play left wing but on the right side of the rink. THEN we will win the Stanly Cup! I can vouch for that.

SDBondra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'm hoping to see someone larger and stronger than Johansson crashing the net.
6'1 205 is enough size to not be pushed around. If you listen to Oates hes on the 1st liine for his speed not his muscle

Old
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Tony K is on his soap box on 980 right now. Primarily about his disgust that it was reported that fans watching training camp at Kettler were chanting "C-A-P-S Caps Caps Caps". Says Caps fans can do better than steal a chant from the Jets. I'm sure those of you that go to Kettler could give a **** what Tony K says, just relaying the message.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

When has Ovechkin ever hard a problem catching passes on his backhand ever?

Creating solutions to non existent problems. Its stupid.

Right wing doesn't make him more dangerous, it makes him a passing threat, he has no angle on the net. Look at Kovalchuks goals last year.

1. Comes form left wing.
2. PP, left point.
3. PP, left point.
4. Rebound off right wing.
5. Front net from left wing.
6. Came left wing, was on right wing, goalie lost his net...
7. PP, left point.
8. Good forechecking deep goalie, right wing none the less.
9. 2 on 0 goalie, right wing.
10. Left wing, off rush.
11. PP, left point.
12. Penalty shot.
13. Left wing/slot.
14. Empty net, left wing.
15. Right wing/slot, reminiscent Ovi's first NHL goal.
16. Front of net, left wing.
17. Break away, center/left wing.
18. Break away, left wing.
19. PP, left point.
20. Left wing.
21. Left wing.
22. Streaks from right wing, but none the less on the left wing scoring in front of net.
23. PP, left wing from left point.
24. Slot.
25. Empty net, left wing.
26. PP, slot.
27. Left wing.
28. PP, left wing
29. Slot comes from left wing
30. Left wing
31. Right wing
32. Empty net
33. Slot
34. Left wing, break away
35. PP, left/slot
36. Empty net.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
fatloui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Makes you wonder why Ovechkin was kept at LW being a right handed shot so long. Yes it worked when he was winning MVP so you dont fix whats not broken. But limiting him playing on backhand made it so predictable for other teams to shut him down.

Good neutral zone passes werent going to happen off his backhand and if they did he would have to turn his hips to make forehand pass. Now he can make good passes while in full stride.

Im hoping to see lots of touch passes between Ovie and Backstrom who now have their forehands facing each other and MoJo using his speed to crash the net.
Most skill players play on their off-wing. That way, you're shooting the puck from near the center of the ice, not from the boards.

fatloui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkin never had problems catching passes on backhand thats why he was able to play LW

Old
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatloui View Post
Most skill players play on their off-wing. That way, you're shooting the puck from near the center of the ice, not from the boards.
European ones do (Vanek, Gaborik, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Havlat, Eriksson, Radulov, Kostitsyns, Afinogenov, Jagr), not NA ones. Off the top of my head only Sharp, Lupul, Kane and MSL do so from NA players. It favors playmaking wingers especially. And overall most top 6 players don't play on their off wing.

Playing with your stick to the boards also lets you gain the zone much easier since you can protect the puck with your body. That's why most utility wingers play on their on-wing. Chimera on the left is a guaranteed touchdown every time he gets the puck because with his speed and size there's no stopping him if he decides to streak by the boards and get his body between the puck and the opponent/chip it down. Kozlov was unstoppable from gaining the zone because he would always have his body between the puck and the defenseman. I think that favors Johansson much more than stickhandling on the right side where the puck is much easier to take from him, as he doesn't have exceptional hands or size to help him gain the zone, just his speed.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-14-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Yeah, many high skill europeans do.

Who said any Cap player can't catch passes on their backhand?

I said Ovi doesn't have much of a backhand, in that you don't see him even try to score on the backhand very often.

I am happy for Ovi that he wants to try a new position. If Mike Gartner can score 40 flying up and down RW, so can Ovi, believe me.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
European ones do (Vanek, Gaborik, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Havlat, Eriksson, Radulov, Kostitsyns, Afinogenov, Jagr), not NA ones. Off the top of my head only Sharp, Lupul, Kane and MSL do so from NA players. It favors playmaking wingers especially. And overall most top 6 players don't play on their off wing.

Playing with your stick to the boards also lets you gain the zone much easier since you can protect the puck with your body. That's why most utility wingers play on their on-wing. Chimera on the left is a guaranteed touchdown every time he gets the puck because with his speed and size there's no stopping him if he decides to streak by the boards and get his body between the puck and the opponent/chip it down. Kozlov was unstoppable from gaining the zone because he would always have his body between the puck and the defenseman. I think that favors Johansson much more than stickhandling on the right side where the puck is much easier to take from him, as he doesn't have exceptional hands or size to help him gain the zone, just his speed.
How does it help him protect the puck? On the left wing Ovechkin can use one hand on the puck, vs driving the net on the right wing, they touch his left elbow, that moves his stick and he loses the puck.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
How does it help him protect the puck? On the left wing Ovechkin can use one hand on the puck, vs driving the net on the right wing, they touch his left elbow, that moves his stick and he loses the puck.
One hand on the stick with the puck sitting on the outside of the curve is a recipe for losing it. It's hard as hell to keep it from rolling off the outside of the curve. You need to be beating someone wide to even begin attempting the move, and it fails 4 times out of 5. You just remember the 5th time above the 4 others because it looks super cool when it does work. And that's not even Ovechkin's go to move, he tries to do the toe drag or cut to the middle, both of which at this point are being neutralized by anyone willing to play the body. There's a reason Ovechkin has had a 2 year streak of constantly losing the puck any time he tries to carry into the zone.

Touching his left elbow doesn't do anything since his right hand is on the bottom of the stick and he can easily regain control even if he slips. Plus the puck is settled on the inside of the curve rather than the outside. Another key factor is if defensemen cheat too much and get too close to the boards trying to contain him on the right, the toe drag to the center is a much higher percentage play and if executed successfully effectively gives him a clear lane to the net. We all know he loves his toe drag, put him in a position where it helps more than hurts him.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-14-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
txpd

looks oates and johansson are turning mike green loose on offense. oh boy

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Capitlols

NHL Center Ice for $49.99, might have to sign up for that.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
looks oates and johansson are turning mike green loose on offense. oh boy
Here comes a groin injury!

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
NHL Center Ice for $49.99, might have to sign up for that.
Gamecenter is also $49.99. I think I might be suckered into that.

Link

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The LD will have to go through his body to get the puck.

Working Ovi's left elbow as a D tactic is kind of laughable. That elbow ain't going anywhere fast. Ovi is a tank a bull a beast a top power forward in the world. As dmen engage him, they cannot reach the puck. Ovi may not even have the puck on his blade when he engages. He now has that luxury. At LW, there were 3 guys collapsing on him as he went to shoot. If he passed, the goalie was always in great position at the top of the crease.

He is going to be unleashing shots as they are trying to engage him. As he skates at full speed. Or he may go through them if they try to man up on him. He may just blow by them and look to pass. The goalie is now facing the corner. Horrible position should Ovi pass. And he will.

Ah right on cue. I just heard Ovi talking about being at RW on Comcast Sportsnet and he said RW will give him more space to be creative.

Yes, he will be able to pass much more easily, the rest of the team will have time to get into the play. MJ is going to see lots of chances into a near empty net coming off LW.