HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dipietro+2014 first rounder to Leafs for Mike Komisarek 3rd rounder(2014)

Old
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This is more fantasy than my thread will ever be.
Why are the Leafs getting a first? That is more of fantasy than the Isles buying him out.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Bottom line is you aren't getting a likely top 10 pick just for taking on salary.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Wang can buy out DiPi in the summer, which he won't. Or Wang can allow him to keep playing until he has to retire due to injury, in which case insurance will cover his contract.

There are a lot better ways to get rid of DiPi than shipping our first round pick off with him.
Insurance doesn't cover the entire contract. And it covers him while he's injured. There's still so many years to go on his contract.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
BUT, here's the kicker. If DiPietro gets INJURED again, than not only does his salary still count towards the cap (because remember: LTIR doesn't REMOVE a player's cap hit, it only allows a team to ADD MORE to their cap to replace the injured player), then the Isles get a player to count towards their cap hit, while at the same time having whichever insurance company is insuring DiPietro's contract pay DiPietro's salary.

At least, that's how I understand it. No doubt, the Isles would dump the guy for free, but in a weird, twisted way, if he gets hurt, he actually has some value for them by not playing.
That's what I thought was the case as well. If he's injured, the insurance on the contract pays for it. All they'd be doing is getting rid of a dead cap hit.

You have a lot of answers for people's questions Roger, but it is pretty obvious the Isles aren't going to give up a probable top 10 pick in the draft just to undue the Leafs/Isles past mistakes. Not to mention they are taking Komisarek's contract back on top...Yuck.

Wang bought out Yashin already. And he didnt give up a sure fire contributor in the future to do it.

Would the Leafs really pay $24M for a 1st round pick too? Are things looking that grim?

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CREW99AW

Quote:
Leafs can then buy-out Dipietro with one of their amnesty buy-outs.
Can we get past the fantasy, that the NYI will give up top youngsters or a 1st round pick, to get rid of DiPietro?

Wang has bought out Yashin, Witt and Bates. DiPietro's buyout will cost $1.5m per. Not a huge amount, for an owner who's shown he's willing to buyout players.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
macleod50

Quote:
This is more fantasy than my thread will ever be.
It's not a question of money. Wang loves the guy for whatever reason. Yet he has also shown he will buy players out under certain circumstances. DiPietro will hurt himself to the point where he will have no choice but retire. The insurance will cover the majority if not all of the contract.

The only fantasy here is you thinking the Islanders will trade their first round pick to get rid of DiPietro.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Why are the Leafs getting a first? That is more of fantasy than the Isles buying him out.
24 million dollars?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Bottom line is you aren't getting a likely top 10 pick just for taking on salary.
Taking a useless player with 10 years left isn't just "Taking on Salary". This is extreme.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
24 million dollars?
...That you're asking to take on in a trade......

This is a terrible proposal and no good will come of this. Can we lock this up before it gets ugly?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

This is a terrible proposal and no good will come of this. Can we lock this up before it gets ugly?
And then buy-out.

You can act like this is a crazy idea all you want, but the fact is, there's a very likely chance we'll see deals like this (Maybe not for a Dipietro, but trading for an expensive player to use as your amnesty buy-out).

Why in the world should this thread be locked?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I think a lot of people forget that.

Yashin and DiPietro help out a budget team.

If I am not wrong, DiPietro gets paid by the insurance.
I believe insurance will only pay for X amount of years on a contract. I think it's around 5. I could be wrong though, maybe someone can confirm.

I don't think the original offer is so unreasonable. That is a TON of savings for a team that has lost a lot of money in recent years. It also means that should the opportunity arrise they can use that cash to sign/resign other players.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
24 million dollars?
You keep rephrasing the same question?

The answer doesn't change.

The isles boughtout Yashin when he was due more $.

Wang shows zero interest in buying DiPietro.

Get past the fantasy that the Leafs make the playoffs this season, while getting the NYI 1st rounder in a salary dump trade.

Old
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Taking a useless player with 10 years left isn't just "Taking on Salary". This is extreme.
I agree with you, and you know that doesn't happen very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

I disagree. There are multiple teams that may well need to use multiple buyouts, or simply would like the maximum amount of flexibility. Like the old saying goes, "Better to have and not need than to need and not have."

I think it's entirely possible that we'll see a couple of lopsided deals this year that are entirely based around dumping for a buyout. Look at Montreal, which has a couple of aging players on large contracts...and also three 2nd-rounders.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
I believe insurance will only pay for X amount of years on a contract. I think it's around 5. I could be wrong though, maybe someone can confirm.

I don't think the original offer is so unreasonable. That is a TON of savings for a team that has lost a lot of money in recent years. It also means that should the opportunity arrise they can use that cash to sign/resign other players.
You are correct, but I think it might be 7 years. That's why so many people warned Wang about this deal. Insurance won't cover a 15 year contract. It's far too long.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You keep rephrasing the same question?

The answer doesn't change.

The isles boughtout Yashin when he was due more $.

Wang shows zero interest in buying DiPietro.

Get past the fantasy that the Leafs make the playoffs this season, while getting the NYI 1st rounder in a salary dump trade.
Maybe because he doesn't want to spend the money? The Yashin buy-out happened at a time when he was opening his wallet more.

Since when does him buying-out Yashin mean he'll be willing to do it again?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Wang doesn't want to get rid of DiPi, this deal does not benefit the Isles in any way.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Wang doesn't want to get rid of DiPi, this deal does not benefit the Isles in any way.
I believe Mr. Wang would disagree with you.

A lot of you are having trouble seeing the "Business Side" of this deal. you only see the first rounder. 24 million in savings for a money-starved owner. Do you know what kind of value that is?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
You are correct, but I think it might be 7 years. That's why so many people warned Wang about this deal. Insurance won't cover a 15 year contract. It's far too long.
We don't know how many yrs the insurance covers. Only that the deal was delayed a yr because they wanted to find a policy to cover such a long deal.

No one involved, has ever publicly said X amount of yrs are covered.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
You're saying it doesn't benefit them financially? I don't know how you can spin that.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
Maybe because he doesn't want to spend the money? The Yashin buy-out happened at a time when he was opening his wallet more.

Since when does him buying-out Yashin mean he'll be willing to do it again?
And he won't ship off DiPi with the Isles first round pick maybe because he doesn't want to give Toronto a top five pick in a strong draft.

Also, the Isles are moving into the Barclays center where his team will be much more marketable to free agents and much more profitable with the Luxury suites. If he is going to open his wallet again, it is going to be real soon.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
And he won't ship off DiPi with the Isles first round pick maybe because he doesn't want to give Toronto a top five pick in a strong draft.

Also, the Isles are moving into the Barclays center where his team will be much more marketable to free agents and much more profitable with the Luxury suites. If he is going to open his wallet again, it is going to be real soon.
There's no guarantee how much he'll make and he's still 3 years away from moving.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
I believe Mr. Wang would disagree with you.

A lot of you are having trouble seeing the "Business Side" of this deal. you only see the first rounder. 24 million in savings for a money-starved owner. Do you know what kind of value that is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
You're saying it doesn't benefit them financially? I don't know how you can spin that.
The Isles are consistenly one of the cheapest teams in the NHL, they are not struggling financially.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
capitalsrock

Or the Islanders keep their top 3 pick and don't buy out Dipietro which helps them stay above the cap floor and not have to deal with Komisarek.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
It's happened before.
I'm blanking, when did this happen?

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The Isles are consistenly one of the cheapest teams in the NHL, they are not struggling financially.
Uh, yes they are.