HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
yunost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Well it's accurate for Sweden considering previous KHL right holder Viasat dropped the league because there was more interest in Allsvenskan (the second tier league below Elitserien).
That is a tricky area your going into.

The Swedish Elite league is extremely diluted now. Teams like Djurgården, Södertälje, and Malmo(with a new huge arena) just to name a few are playing in the Allsvenskan. Not to mention that Eliteserien werent letting locked out players play, while Allsvenskan had NHL stars like Anze Kopitar for example. There is a major shift of interest therefore, in Sweden towards that league.
So when you imply that the KHL got dropped for the second division, you may get some people confused.

Im pretty sure that the average attendance of the Eliteserien will dwindle below NLA, DEL and even KHL

Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
That is a tricky area your going into.

The Swedish Elite league is extremely diluted now. Teams like Djurgården, Södertälje, and Malmo(with a new huge arena) just to name a few are playing in the Allsvenskan. Not to mention that Eliteserien werent letting locked out players play, while Allsvenskan had NHL stars like Anze Kopitar for example. There is a major shift of interest therefore, in Sweden towards that league.
So when you imply that the KHL got dropped for the second division, you may get some people confused.

Im pretty sure that the average attendance of the Eliteserien will dwindle below NLA, DEL and even KHL
They dropped it in the summer already, I'm just stating what the Finnish press reported on the matter (I've mentioned this ages ago, before the lock-out even began). Nothing tricky about it. They said the interest was much bigger on Allsvenskan and there weren't that many Swedish big name stars in KHL anymore(more Finns than Swedes here now).

Old
01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Yes but football is the number one sports in football and everyone wants to see the likes of clubs I mentioned. Hockey, not so much. They're not even interested in seeing the clubs from their arch rivals from the neighboring country.
yeah and hockey is the #1 in Canada, that doesn't change the fact that the NFL coming here would make everyone forget the local football league

Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
yeah and hockey is the #1 in Canada, that doesn't change the fact that the NFL coming here would make everyone forget the local football league
But they already watch and follow the NFL in Canada so the comparison isn't really valid.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:08 AM
yunost

Quote:
They dropped it in the summer already, I'm just stating what the Finnish press reported on the matter (I've mentioned this ages ago, before the lock-out even began). Nothing tricky about it. They said the interest was much bigger on Allsvenskan and there weren't that many Swedish big name stars in KHL anymore(more Finns than Swedes here now).
Yes, all of this was known at the end of last playoffs. The KHL definitely gained popularity in the world during the lockout. I dont think I can say the same about SEL. It would be an exception if the KHL got less popular in Sweden.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Yes, all of this was known at the end of last playoffs. The KHL definitely gained popularity in the world during the lockout. I dont think I can say the same about SEL. It would be an exception if the KHL got less popular in Sweden.
Well the subject was KHL popularity in Sweden(and Finland since Viasat was the only channel broadcasting KHL here as well). To channel Conan O'Brien a bit: now that the lock-out is over, the rest of the world can go back to NOT caring about the KHL.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
ult

Quote:
Well the subject was KHL popularity in Sweden(and Finland since Viasat was the only channel broadcasting KHL here as well). To channel Conan O'Brien a bit: now that the lock-out is over, the rest of the world can go back to NOT caring about the KHL.
Lockout or not KHL is watched 10 more than both sel and sm-liga in countries not participants of the tourneys. Not to mention the total viewer base. So suck it up nhl, sel and sml. (5 mln viewers for sc final? ahahah)

Old
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Am I mistaken or was there some Finish coach who said the KHL would be a good idea in the future in Finland... Or something along those lines??

Old
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
russianhockey

a while ago i read somewhere, that viasat wants to buy the khl rights again, but this time only for the playoffs. somebody knows if this is actual? maybe it was only the idea when khl playoffs includes lockout players

Old
01-18-2013, 09:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I read last november (??, or october 2012) that KHL was negotating with some finnish and swedish broadcasters. If deal done, finns/swedes will watch KHL play-off 2013

Yes, NHL lockout could be a reason.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Am I mistaken or was there some Finish coach who said the KHL would be a good idea in the future in Finland... Or something along those lines??
Shhhh don't wake the trolls! We all know nobody outside of Russia wants to watch The KHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:47 AM
boris4c

I believe in the KHL's expansion and I believe it would be great for the entire European continent, especially in parts where hockey needs a bit of a boost such as Southeastern Europe (Slovenia, Croatia) but even in Central Europe (Austria, Slovakia, Hungary).

It could be me, but I have a feeling that hockey in general is on the fall in quite a few countries with good tradition but if their best players were given the possibility of playing in a league such as the KHL (on top of the ones already in the NHL) it would do wonders for their programs. I am thinking that most teams would likely rely on their own domestic players, just like it's mostly Latvians who play for Dinamo Riga or Kazakhs for Barys Astana. It will still be a few years before we see the effects on their national programs but I am sure they will be positive.

I am originally from Serbia where hockey is just about to die unfortunately, but I would love to see Medvescak Zagreb in the KHL as that would give that region a top team which it never had. Their attendance is excellent in the EBEL and so are their results. They have been able to bring former NHLers to their squad and it looks to me like they have a bright future.

The only issue for me is that there are likely too many teams in the KHL right now and their is a danger of over-expansion.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Possibly Jukka Jalonen some time around after his hiring.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
I believe in the KHL's expansion and I believe it would be great for the entire European continent, especially in parts where hockey needs a bit of a boost such as Southeastern Europe (Slovenia, Croatia) but even in Central Europe (Austria, Slovakia, Hungary).

It could be me, but I have a feeling that hockey in general is on the fall in quite a few countries with good tradition but if their best players were given the possibility of playing in a league such as the KHL (on top of the ones already in the NHL) it would do wonders for their programs. I am thinking that most teams would likely rely on their own domestic players, just like it's mostly Latvians who play for Dinamo Riga or Kazakhs for Barys Astana. It will still be a few years before we see the effects on their national programs but I am sure they will be positive.

I am originally from Serbia where hockey is just about to die unfortunately, but I would love to see Medvescak Zagreb in the KHL as that would give that region a top team which it never had. Their attendance is excellent in the EBEL and so are their results. They have been able to bring former NHLers to their squad and it looks to me like they have a bright future.

The only issue for me is that there are likely too many teams in the KHL right now and their is a danger of over-expansion.
well, I don't think it's public yet, but, imho, Medvedev and co don't mind the fall out of poor Russian team to the VHL (Vityaz', Avto (unless they poor the money into the team that clearly do exist in e-burg, Kuznya, mb Spartak) will sooner or later move down to the VHL to be replaced by the Western powerful clubs. I think Medvedev wants that, get rid of problematic clubs, replace them with financial power-houses, but this won't work and Russian hockey will loose it's identity completely.

Look at all the idiotic rush-decisions they make accepting clubs to KHL/MHL, clubs that can't even finish their inaugural season, and some don't even make it as far as starting it.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well, I don't think it's public yet, but, imho, Medvedev and co don't mind the fall out of poor Russian team to the VHL (Vityaz', Avto (unless they poor the money into the team that clearly do exist in e-burg, Kuznya, mb Spartak) will sooner or later move down to the VHL to be replaced by the Western powerful clubs. I think Medvedev wants that, get rid of problematic clubs, replace them with financial power-houses, but this won't work and Russian hockey will loose it's identity completely.

Look at all the idiotic rush-decisions they make accepting clubs to KHL/MHL, clubs that can't even finish their inaugural season, and some don't even make it as far as starting it.
Why i for one think it will absolutley work.Loosing vityaz or avto will not lose the leagues indentity it will just make way for more profitable and marketable teams thats all.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:56 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Why i for one think it will absolutley work.Loosing vityaz or avto will not lose the leagues indentity it will just make way for more profitable and marketable teams thats all.
well, first of all, Russian hockey is such (love it or hate it) that young players don't get much exposure, spend too much time riding the pine and never rich their potential, the aforementioned teams due to lack of funding feed a lot of youth through their rosters and help them develop. You cut that off - that sort of dries the well right away.
Add to that the lack of commitment of non-Russian teams, something goes other than their way, they quit the league. I have written before, that every team joining the KHL needs to sign a contract or a letter of intention, that if they quit the league - they are fined (I say a contract for 5 years, fine = years missed * minimal KHL budget)

Last edited by cska78: 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
od71

I would say that such teams like Vityaz, Metallurg Nvk, Amur are necessary cos they are only teams that allow to develop young talents. Zhafyarov, Kagarlitski, Panarin, Timkin, Gusev, Ozhiganov etc. Even Kuznetsov, Nazarov called him to the main team when Traktor was not rich.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
I would say that such teams like Vityaz, Metallurg Nvk, Amur are necessary cos they are only teams that allow to develop young talents. Zhafyarov, Kagarlitski, Panarin, Timkin, Gusev, Ozhiganov etc. Even Kuznetsov, Nazarov called him to the main team when Traktor was not rich.
If those teams can`t build new arenas,get their infrastructure toghether,than this argument is not enough,you have to strive for quality of the league trust me,there will always some other teams that will be bottom-feaders where young talents can pop-up

Old
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
malkinfan

CSKA, what is the problem with those teams dropping to the VHL? It will only create a stronger, deeper pool of teams in the KHL and a stronger VHL. Rather than rely on the KHL for developing prospects, the VHL could be the new platform for development as we've undoubtably seen the level of play in the VHL rise since its existance. It is now hard even for the top U20 players to find regular ice time in the KHL in recent years due to the depth of talent pool, let alone U-18,19 players. Nichushkin and Dano are the only 18 year olds seeing ice time in the KHL, and it is modest ice time at that. Long gone are the days of 16 yo Kitsyn, 17 yo Voynov, 17yo Arzamastev, 16yo Tarasenko, 17yo Kuznetsov at the top leve of Russian hockey.

IMO the VHL is a better option for young guys because they can get 15-20minutes a game rather than under 10 in the KHL. At the same time they are still playing against seasoned mature aged professionals, many who have been to the top Russian circuit before. This is much better than juniors, it will speed the development path up... Look at Gusev, Nichushkin, most recent examples of guys who used the VHL to springboard themselves to the KHL....

Stronger teams dropping down to the VHL means better VHL IMO If a new foreign team replaced them that means that there are about 20 Russian guys that will find a new team in KHL which will in effect bump 20 KHLers around the league down to VHL which strengthens VHL league.... optimal scenario IMO

Last edited by malkinfan: 01-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
malkinfan

I also come here to question how is team from Hungary is doing in MHL? I noticed that in Budapest they sold out all pre Olympic qualifying matches in arena of more than 6000. Seems like there are people there who are willing to support hockey, does KHL have prospects with them?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:55 PM
russianhockey

the russian press wrote, a hockey club from Gdańsk wants to join the league. but not which team.

maybe that one?

http://www.khgdansk.pl/

source: http://www.sports.ru/hockey/146267582.html

Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I also come here to question how is team from Hungary is doing in MHL? I noticed that in Budapest they sold out all pre Olympic qualifying matches in arena of more than 6000. Seems like there are people there who are willing to support hockey, does KHL have prospects with them?
bad. Look at MHL thread. Btw it is czech-slovak team based in Hungary, if speaking about ownership

Old
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
bad. Look at MHL thread. Btw it is czech-slovak team based in Hungary, if speaking about ownership
How about the players? I don't really know much about Hungarian hockey but I remember that a couple of years ago, their teams were full of Hungarian Slovaks (=part of the Hungarian minority in Slovakia) that couldn't make it in the Slovak league. I even remember one player that accepted Hungarian citizenship and played for their national team.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
How about the players? I don't really know much about Hungarian hockey but I remember that a couple of years ago, their teams were full of Hungarian Slovaks (=part of the Hungarian minority in Slovakia) that couldn't make it in the Slovak league. I even remember one player that accepted Hungarian citizenship and played for their national team.
2/3 slovaks, czechs. A few (3-4) russians/hungarians.

btw, we are off topic

Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
malkinfan

Looks like Lada to KHL is now imminent. Still think its goofy that they built such a small arena. In 10 years they will regret it.

Closed Thread