HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That's my take. At both ends of the ice.

He was about as good as you can expect a bottom pairing defenseman to be last season. I think that should earn him a few new opportunities, especially considering how some of the players above him on the depth chart **** the bed.
Not only that, when he was called upon for top-4 minutes (by default) or was caught on the ice against better competition, he didn't look bad at all. If anyone missed it, ask Ovechkin

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ya I wasn't referring to you with the stats part. I think both Martin and Engelland would or will look like ass on the powerplay. We've pretty much had this discussion before. I just think Engelland is what he is and is best used as such. That is a solid number 6 guy. If we are going to expand his role, it should be on the powerplay where we could really use a guy with some muscle. I think he looked good because he was actually used in the role he is good at. Put him in bigger roles and its just setting him up to disappoint. In my opinion.

I would love for him to prove me wrong.
I said it earlier in the thread but if the second powerplay gets spot duty like last year, I don't see any harm in throwing Engelland out there so he can get one of his quick shots on net. Martin is obviously a better puck distributor, but if you only have 15 seconds to work with, having him throw it on goal while the other guys crash the net doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'll assume you mean PK, haha.

As for expanded roles - we won't know unless we try. We already know Martin sucks on the PP, so if we're expecting anything different...
indeed I did

I really hope Despres makes the team so he can take that spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I said it earlier in the thread but if the second powerplay gets spot duty like last year, I don't see any harm in throwing Engelland out there so he can get one of his quick shots on net. Martin is obviously a better puck distributor, but if you only have 15 seconds to work with, having him throw it on goal while the other guys crash the net doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Except Martin is better at puck possession, passing and skating. There's nothing worse than a turnover right after a powerplay. Its always nice to keep the other team pressed into their zone even after the powerplay ends.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Has Bylsma commented on him?
A) Best not to take a rumor-like comment from Pittsburgh media (i.e. a big statement that's not attributed to anybody in the organization) at face value. Better than a 50% chance it's made up.

B) Yes, Byslma commented today. And his comment was that there's a legitimate chance Despres will be paired with Letang on Saturday.

Doesn't exactly sound like the coaching staff is "disappointed" with him (or anything remotely like that). Another dog **** Pittsburgh journalist shows his true colors.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
So was MacIntyre picked up off waivers by Toronto or wasn't he?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Nope, he wasn't.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Honour Over Glory

It was so weird reading about how the management was disappointed in Despres, then you find out they weren't. If anything, they were saying he's too skilled for his own good and that he needs to make more simple plays, etc.

That journalist that reported that, needs to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
He wasn't. He cleared waivers and is back in WBS from what I can remember.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
That journalist that reported that, needs to be fired.
This is Pittsburgh we're talking about. Bad sports reporting / attribution / fact-finding is rewarded with promotions as long as it makes a buzz, not with the appropriate measure of getting ****-canned.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Sivek

Browsing through hockey-reference and see Dan Bylsma's 4th most similar player in career scope is Dustin Jeffrey. The 7th most is Nick Johnson.

I think we can see where this is headed. DB made sure Johnson didn't stick with the Pens and now he's running Jeffrey out of town. I bet DB has printed out a sheet of active players that are closest to him in similarity scores and is crossing them out one by one.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Same, if he even last this whole season.
The only way Bylsma gets fired is if...
  1. He calls out Shero and questions one of his moves
  2. Clashes with Sid &/or Geno and they publicly state their displeasure with the coach and the rest of the team follows
  3. The team gets swept in the 1st round and is insanely out coached by the other team to the point where it's painfully obvious Bylsma is not evolving as a coach and is playing favourites with vets

Or any other reason if people have it...

I'm not a huge fan of how Bylsma handles younger inexperienced players, compare that to other teams that have rookies join the roster and they are played with skilled guys, etc...Bylsma uses the tough love approach and thinks it will work for him, when it really doesn't. How many rookies have flourished under Bylsma?

Not including defensemen.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Browsing through hockey-reference and see Dan Bylsma's 4th most similar player in career scope is Dustin Jeffrey. The 7th most is Nick Johnson.

I think we can see where this is headed. DB made sure Johnson didn't stick with the Pens and now he's running Jeffrey out of town. I bet DB has printed out a sheet of active players that are closest to him in similarity scores and is crossing them out one by one.
The player that resembles him the most in the NHL right now, currently on the team, is Craig Adams.

And that guy is basically an untouchable for some freakin' reason.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is Pittsburgh we're talking about. Bad sports reporting / attribution / fact-finding is rewarded with promotions as long as it makes a buzz, not with the appropriate measure of getting ****-canned.
That's the Trib for you.

Mr. T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Hey guys Canucks fan here but also a big Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Neal fan.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but can anyone tell me about Crosby's health?

Obviously he came back from concussion last year and played a round of playoff hockey, and now he's had a good 8 months since then to rehab further.

Do you guys truly feel that he is truly 110% and will return to peak form and tear apart the league like he was doing before the injury? I'm talking 50+ goals, 120+ points in a full season.

I was one of the people that wished he would've sat out last year entirely and by now he would've had a year and a half to recover from the concussion, instead of rushing back and having setbacks like he did the first time he attempted a comeback.

I really want to see the best player in the league play at the absolute best he can, unlike someone like Patrice Bergeron, who while successfully returning to the NHL after injury and playing quite well (Selke trophy and a Stanley Cup) never returned to that offensive form he had before injury.

I would love to hear realistic and informed thoughts on this.

SillyRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
indeed I did

I really hope Despres makes the team so he can take that spot.

Except Martin is better at puck possession, passing and skating. There's nothing worse than a turnover right after a powerplay. Its always nice to keep the other team pressed into their zone even after the powerplay ends.
Martin can be out there too, or Niskanen or whoever.

Speaking of special teams, seeing the Flyers sign Foster makes me want to see Crosby and Malkin on the PK even more. Half of his shots end up going around the glass as an outlet pass to the team, if he even gets a sjpt off after he winds up for 10 minutes.

Even someone like Dupuis could make his life miserable, Crosby and Malkin would absolutely torch him.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Why are so many people on Adams case? This is something I've never understood. He's a fourth line plugger thats good at faceoffs and killing penalties. He also battles hard as hell each time he's on the ice. Some of you act like he should be producing 20/20 each season.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
Hey guys Canucks fan here but also a big Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Neal fan.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but can anyone tell me about Crosby's health?

Obviously he came back from concussion last year and played a round of playoff hockey, and now he's had a good 8 months since then to rehab further.

Do you guys truly feel that he is truly 110% and will return to peak form and tear apart the league like he was doing before the injury? I'm talking 50+ goals, 120+ points in a full season.

I was one of the people that wished he would've sat out last year entirely and by now he would've had a year and a half to recover from the concussion, instead of rushing back and having setbacks like he did the first time he attempted a comeback.

I really want to see the best player in the league play at the absolute best he can, unlike someone like Patrice Bergeron, who while successfully returning to the NHL after injury and playing quite well (Selke trophy and a Stanley Cup) never returned to that offensive form he had before injury.

I would love to hear realistic and informed thoughts on this.
He was 100% healthy as he could have been... how to you become more than 100% healthy?!?? He was ready to go so he went.

I've watched him play in games, and practice a couple months back. He is still 100% healthy and good to go and will be tearing up the league.

No worries from my perspective or observations what-so-ever.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
He was 100% healthy as he could have been... how to you become more than 100% healthy?!?? He was ready to go so he went.

I've watched him play in games, and practice a couple months back. He is still 100% healthy and good to go and will be tearing up the league.

No worries from my perspective or observations what-so-ever.
Well after 7 games he had some adverse issues from a hit and had to sit out again right?

I'm just a very cautious person and I tend to wonder what extra damage (that may not become apparent for several years) may have been done because of that.

Good to hear that you feel he's 100%, my legitimate hope is that he picks up exactly where he left off in early 2011.

SillyRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Beaudangles19

Anything on beau Bennett?

Beaudangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Why are so many people on Adams case? This is something I've never understood. He's a fourth line plugger thats good at faceoffs and killing penalties. He also battles hard as hell each time he's on the ice. Some of you act like he should be producing 20/20 each season.
There are plenty of people on this roster that play hockey a lot better than he does, yet he still gets preferential treatment. It has nothing to do with not liking him or not thinking he's good at what he does.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
Well after 7 games he had some adverse issues from a hit and had to sit out again right?

I'm just a very cautious person and I tend to wonder what extra damage (that may not become apparent for several years) may have been done because of that.

Good to hear that you feel he's 100%, my legitimate hope is that he picks up exactly where he left off in early 2011.
It wasn't just a concussion, it was a neck issue too. So people never really understood what the issue was, neither did Crosby or management and that's why the team has new doctors and trainers.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
All of the Pens beat guys don't truly understand the game and they want to break "news" first.

I'd rather read stuff that is written well and accurately, even if it isn't first. It's sad that when Kevin Allen broke the news Staal wasn't happy in Pgh, that people questioned who he was (only the best hockey writer of the last 25 yrs).

Allen doesn't feel the need to be first to break news or float BS rumors. So when he breaks something, as I said back in April, I put a ton of stock in it.
Dejan understands the game, I grew up playing with him. The real issue is that he just does not seem to be a great reporter in his present role as an editorialist. Too much pressure to create controversy to drive sales possibly?

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Is he good at penalty killing? Yes, but so are a lot of other guys if you remember last season. He wasn't the guy that stood out on the PK anymore and well, he would pick the worst times to fight and then lose badly. He would also shoot the puck insanely wide when he had decent scoring opportunities and lost whatever minute offensive skill he had left. He wasn't nearly as physical as he could have been and well, it's time the team looked at better options on the fourth line. He was a breathe of fresh air when he first came in, a battle tested warrior that was great on the PK and brought energy to the fourth line and wasn't useless. That was 4yrs ago though. He also took some stupid penalties that would kill momentum. Out of all the players on the roster, he did it more often than anyone else, from what I can remember.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
The Trib happened to him.

And the advent of social media, IMO... which has led journalists (particularly sports journalist) to play it pretty free and loose with the facts in order to get the story out first. It also give them a jillion times more potential sources for rumors that they can rush to publish as supporting "facts" in articles.
This....

Social media and declining newspaper sales has had a hugely negative impact on the quality of sports reporting in this city IMO.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Dejan understands the game, I grew up playing with him. The real issue is that he just does not seem to be a great reporter in his present role as an editorialist. Too much pressure to create controversy to drive sales possibly?
I can understand trying to bring readers back in an age where rumors on blogs and messageboards are gospel rather than reports by reporters on newspaper websites. But be at least somewhat credible, not pointing at any reporter specifically when I say that though.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I think it's mostly the transition from reporter to columnist. That's just my observation, though.
This too.....

Dejan understands the game, he just does not know how to be a columnist interacting with social media without a huge drop-off in the quality of his work.