HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: This is the song that doesn't end...

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
The important thing here is youth. We need young players back from this deal.
Exactly.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I don't know if VAN will be as strict with the 1st round pick. I hope they are though... Also wouldn't mind if that established NHLer isn't so established, but ready to make a mark.
Def agree w/ you. I want the 1st at all costs.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I don't know if VAN will be as strict with the 1st round pick. I hope they are though... Also wouldn't mind if that established NHLer isn't so established, but ready to make a mark.
I don't think any teams will move their 1st early on. Too much uncertainty in a shortened season and this draft is just too good.

Goc, Robak, Shore and a 2nd for Luongo and Raymond. Not a great deal, but one that strengthens the roster in the short term while adding 3 young assets to the pipeline.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
If the "established NHLer" is Bozak, then the "high end prospect" better be Gardiner and not Kadri.

If the NHLer is Lupul or Grabovski, then I would be fine with Kadri (or even Colborne).

I really don't see the Leafs giving up their 1st this year. Supposedly a deep draft, and if the Leafs miss the playoffs their pick could end up being the 1st overall pick with the new CBA rules about the draft lottery.
Ya, it's a pretty vague answer from LebRun. I'd assume it would change depending on the team. Gillis is in a rare position where he doesn't 'require' a specific return i.e. doesn't need to replace the outgoing asset w/ the trade. I'm also guessing he's targeted specific players from each team (he has a history of this) - and probably not willing to trade till they become available.

Not sure about Leafs and their 1st. If they're competing with 6 or 7 other teams, they might not have a choice.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I don't think any teams will move their 1st early on. Too much uncertainty in a shortened season and this draft is just too good.

Goc, Robak, Shore and a 2nd for Luongo and Raymond. Not a great deal, but one that strengthens the roster in the short term while adding 3 young assets to the pipeline.

The 1st won't move early on, I agree. Give teams a bit of time to consider their position. They can also protect their picks too though.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The 1st won't move early on, I agree. Give teams a bit of time to consider their position. They can also protect their picks too though.
My question is, say TOR or TB goaltending is horrible in the first 5 games...

Are they more likely to offer up their 1st for Luongo? Sure it would fix their problem, but they've already crapped the bed for 10% of the season and have to try to dig themselves out of a hole making the pick more valuable.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
If the "established NHLer" is Bozak, then the "high end prospect" better be Gardiner and not Kadri.

If the NHLer is Lupul or Grabovski, then I would be fine with Kadri (or even Colborne).

I really don't see the Leafs giving up their 1st this year. Supposedly a deep draft, and if the Leafs miss the playoffs their pick could end up being the 1st overall pick with the new CBA rules about the draft lottery.
I'm convinced Gillis is targeting Lupul as a priority, with inquiries about Gardiner as an alternative. Just seems most likely given how little Lupul's name has been mentioned, which tends to happen in trade rumors. Honestly, the plus could be Connolly for all I care. Lupul actually addresses a need and is a step above Booth and Higgins.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
craigcaulks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
I don't think Luongo should be traded this season. CS is not ready for his duties, he is going to have one bad game and the fanbase will turn on him. I would like to see Luongo and CS split the 48 game schedule and who ever is on the hot streak going into the playoffs should start.

I think if we trade Luongo at the start of the season we are missing the play offs.
Schneider turns 27 this season, if he isn't ready yet then when exactly will he be?

As for the fanbase turning on him, I think that is absolutely insane. Perhaps a few panicky dip***** will be posting like mad but that really, really, really doesn't matter.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
My question is, say TOR or TB goaltending is horrible in the first 5 games...

Are they more likely to offer up their 1st for Luongo? Sure it would fix their problem, but they've already crapped the bed for 10% of the season and have to try to dig themselves out of a hole making the pick more valuable.

There is an internal threshold in mind for each team. If they are losing/mediocre for X amount of games, they can more "safely" trade their 1st in expectation of turning things around in short order. After than threshold, it becomes too risky to deal the pick.

As of right now, it's up in the air as to where that limit exists for TOR. I say it's 10 games. Just a guess though.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Def agree w/ you. I want the 1st at all costs.
That first round pick is not going to score for us this playoff, if we are going to downgrade on goal, we need immediate help, not future picks.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
There is an internal threshold in mind for each team. If they are losing/mediocre for X amount of games, they can more "safely" trade their 1st in expectation of turning things around in short order. After than threshold, it becomes too risky to deal the pick.

As of right now, it's up in the air as to where that limit exists for TOR. I say it's 10 games. Just a guess though.
The 10 games is 20% of the season. The Leafs will not make a move then. If Luongo doesn't start the season here, then Nonis will have commited to what we have. The shortened season does not allow for a feeling out period.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
The 10 games is 20% of the season. The Leafs will not make a move then. If Luongo doesn't start the season here, then Nonis will have commited to what we have. The shortened season does not allow for a feeling out period.

Sure it does, it's only shorter than what we are usually used to. I think your wrong here LL.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
While I'm not saying Nonis is an aggressive GM and will go balls out, I'd like to point out the trade deadline is in early April.

The option is still there if he thinks the team is a goalie short from reaching the playoffs.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Hmm, there was a reporter on the radio here this afternoon, he said he thinks the Oilers are much more seriously interested in Luongo than people think.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hmm, there was a reporter on the radio here this afternoon, he said he thinks the Oilers are much more seriously interested in Luongo than people think.
Does the reporter have any insider info, or is he just guessing?

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
They have to be interested in any good player that might be willing to play there. Someone of Lu's calibre is a no brainer if they can convince him.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
luongo321

Quote:
That's interesting. I just don't see a deal going through because they are going to be a very scary team in the near future and the Canucks wouldn't want to be the reason for making their divisional competition even tougher. Oilers would have to overpay compared to nondivisional teams in order to get Lu. I still think the Canucks management would have enough class to at least send him out east close to home.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Crows*

It's also been suggested that gillis will no trade within the division

Old
01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Does the reporter have any insider info, or is he just guessing?
Too new in town to know what reporters (if any) are worth listening too. It was Eric Francis from the Calgary Sun for the record. I don't like the idea of trading within the division, that's for sure. Of course I'm not a big fan of trading him at all.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
It's also been suggested that gillis will no trade within the division
Who suggested that? I recall in September someone named Mike Gillis stated that he has no reservations of trading with anyone in the league. I wonder if he's credible?

01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
John Bender*

The Oilers blogger on Eklunds site is suggesting that the Oilers acquire Luongo. The return should be Dubnyk and a 2nd, nothing more. He even suggests that Horcoff be allowed to be added to sweeten the deal for the Oil - since they are taking on Luongo's horrid contract.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The Oilers blogger on Eklunds site is suggesting that the Oilers acquire Luongo. The return should be Dubnyk and a 2nd, nothing more. He even suggests that Horcoff be allowed to be added to sweeten the deal for the Oil - since they are taking on Luongo's horrid contract.

How gracious of him!

Old
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post

I take that package over anything the leafs fan has to offer.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

https://twitter.com/passittobulis/st...01731779809281
Quote:
Luongo: "I'm willing to stay here this season because it will be short. But I don't want to stay here long term." via @RenLavoieRDS
Nothing really new.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
That's interesting. I just don't see a deal going through because they are going to be a very scary team in the near future and the Canucks wouldn't want to be the reason for making their divisional competition even tougher. Oilers would have to overpay compared to nondivisional teams in order to get Lu. I still think the Canucks management would have enough class to at least send him out east close to home.
If the Oilers make the best offer I would advise Gillis to take it.

Closed Thread