HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM/DAL] Mark Fistric for 2013 3rd Round Pick (MOD WARNING POST 255)

Old
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Exactly, bruh, Oilers are the greatest team of all time after acquiring third pairing d-man, Mark Fistric. You are the most excellent, enlightening poster on HFBoards, thank the lord that you're here to entertain us with your quick wit and spectacular humor!
Well your own fans humored me by posting a potential roster and saying it was top 10 in the league

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Well your own fans humored me by posting a potential roster and saying it was top 10 in the league
1 poster (a post that was instantly and vehemently negated by other Oilers fans) = "your own fans". Impressive logic, my friend.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
misfit

Top 10 is definitely a streatch, but I think this Oilers defense will surprise a lot of people, and has the potential to be significantly better than it was a year ago.

Just getting Whitney back healthy is a major plus. If Schultz' NHL game is even 60% of his AHL game, then he's a legit top 4 guy. Adding 2 top 4 defensemen can go a long way towards turning a bad defense into a good one.

01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

The cup is ours!!!!

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
For some reason I thought when his name came up in trade rumours last year it was said he really didn't want to play here.

I could be wrong..
maybe the lockout and not getting paid for 4 months helped. I'm sure a lot of the lower tier players are a little more grateful for a paycheque no matter which city they have to play in.

Overall, I think this is a good deal for both teams. Dallas gets a draft pick for a player they don't need and were going to lose for nothing.
Edmonton gets some depth and toughness that they needed. win-win.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Fistric is a below average defensively, awesome physically, and horriawful offensive #6/7 defensemen. As long as the Oilers don't expect much more than that, it'll turn out well for them.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
Whitney - Potter

Middle of the pack which is significantly better than last year.

Gilbert - Whitney
Smid - Petry
Potter - Peckham

IIRC.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Fistric is a below average defensively, awesome physically, and horriawful offensive #6/7 defensemen. As long as the Oilers don't expect much more than that, it'll turn out well for them.
we didn't expect him to become our #1

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Good trade for both sides, not great. No great trade is centered around a 6th defender.

Fistric was done in Dallas. Sounds like Rome and Jo. Benn both beat him out for the #6 spot, and he likely wasn't going to get much playing time anyways. He was done in Dallas after this season regardless. We clear up our logjam at D for a decent return (looking at what we've done with our 3rds and beyond lately, I'm always pretty happy when we acquire any kind of picks, have had some great depth drafting recently).

GMJN probably could've gotten a 2nd, but Edmonton is the absolute perfect spot for Fistric. Family lives there, has multiple ties to the area, and they needed a guy like him. He'll have some defensive lapses every so often (but he's a bottom-pairing defender for pete's sake) and will quite literally do nothing offensively besides have a rush up the ice 1-2 times a season, but his physicality is what keeps him in the NHL. Gonna miss those bone-crushing hits.

As for those questioning the Stars getting softer, it won't be for long. We've got guys like Vance (6'6"), Dillon (6'4"), Nemeth (6'5"), and Oleksiak (6'7") coming up soon, and none of them are "soft". Kind of a transition period for our defense at the moment, but we'll be fine in 2-3 years.

Everyone comes out happy here. Stars clear their D logjam, open a spot for a youngster down the road, and get an asset for someone as good as gone. Edmonton adds a depth defender which they needed pretty badly, and Fistric is probably the happiest guy in the NHL right now. Win-win for everyone.

As for you Stars' fans putting Fistric down, stop kidding yourselves. You complained about Sabres' fans doing this in the Roy trade, and yet we were doing it with Ott and Ribeiro both, and now Fistric. There's no purpose to it, and if you're gonna pick out every flaw every player we have has ever made, do so on our board, not one where people are impressionable and don't know enough about our guys to make that judgment on their own. He's a good bottom-pairing guy, and if you can't see that, you really need to lower your expectations on what you want from a #5-6 guy.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
we didn't expect him to become our #1
Where did I say that.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Where did I say that.
It looks to me that he's simply agreeing that the Oilers aren't expecting him to be anything more than a #6/7 defense man, no?

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I don't think anyone is expecting more than that.

We're hoping he'll basically be Andy Sutton(minus the sick dangles) since that's who he'll be replacing.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Which is exactly what we needed.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fan! as in one. He definitely does not represent the sentiment of all Oiler fans. As of right now we have 5 2nd pairing guys(whitney, smid, petry, schultz, schultz) and 3 6-7 guys. Most rational Oiler fans don't believe that to be a top 20 defense. Potential if all goes well......sure. Not at the moment though

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Fan! as in one. He definitely does not represent the sentiment of all Oiler fans. As of right now we have 5 2nd pairing guys(whitney, smid, petry, schultz, schultz) and 3 6-7 guys. Most rational Oiler fans don't believe that to be a top 20 defense. Potential if all goes well......sure. Not at the moment though
Whitney when 100% is beyond a shadow of a doubt a top pairing guy. Schultz could be anywhere from a 1-5 guy most likely a 3-4 guy his first year.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
ScubaSteve*

An undrafted 3rd round pick is far less detrimental to our defense.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Its pretty funny how one "fan" saying the defense has a "chance" to be top 10 becomes "fans" saying it "is" top 10 in the league.

Maybe instead of posting nonsense, you should maybe read further down and you'll see that multiple Oilers "fans" have disagreed with that sentiment.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Wait.. so you like Fistric right?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:40 PM
topchowda

Tuebert may be as good as this guy one day, but remember he was a 1st round draft pick 4 years ago and still 2 years away from the NHL. Draft picks, especially defense in the 3rd round, take a long time to develop. We need help asap in the 6th spot.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Just stop...

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
We need help asap in the 6th spot.
Well then this trade makes no sense.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
David71

well tsn did say that andy sutton is injured and he might not return this season. so basically another huge clearing dman.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I have no issue with Fistric, he's a fine 6/7 defensemen, but are there such a premium on defensemen in this league that role players are getting 3rd round draft picks? 3rd rounders aren't throw-away assets.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I have no issue with Fistric, he's a fine 6/7 defensemen, but are there such a premium on defensemen in this league that role players are getting 3rd round draft picks? 3rd rounders aren't throw-away assets.
You're overvaluing draft picks here.

If a team's third round pick ends up as a player like Fistric they'd be very happy.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
The value for both sides is exactly what it should be. Edmonton is getting a physical 6/7th dman who I thought was effective last year. Dallas is rightfully receiving a 3rd round pick and an opportunity to call up a dman from Texas, likely dillon.

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote