HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Habnot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
After Gaston Therrien, here's another funny comment about the great Pierre McGuire. Saying that Galchenyuk lost his spot to JT Miller, a left winger, demonstrating that he didn't have that great of a tournament. I also happen to think that it wasn't an incredible tournament for Galchenyuk, but can't believe that a prospect lover like McGuire would mention that he lost his spot to Miller. First, Miller does play both positions, like Gally. So McGuire mentioning that Gally lost a center spot to a winger was uncalled for. As Gally, also, lately, was playing more the wings than at the center position. Then, it was absolutely NORMAL than a guy like Miller, with some AHL experience, be higher on the depth chart.

And when you look at all the exhibition games that the US played....I'd love to know what was Miller great offensive accomplishments that surpassed so much Gally. I mean he had his points, but so did Gally. Thing is Housley had already started to think that Miller would be the centerman, and it's possible that Kuraly was doing real good, and Housely couldn't see Kuraly on the wings but had no problem with Gally there.
Not to split hair, but I believe McGuire said that he lost his place to Miller and Vesey, and he specifically mentioned Vesey as a older left-winger. He later added unequivocally that he is a special player.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Last Canadiens prospect with as much promise entering his first training camp with the team?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Last Canadiens prospect with as much promise entering his first training camp with the team?
Tenderness?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:19 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Jean Beliveau.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not to split hair, but I believe McGuire said that he lost his place to Miller and Vesey, and he specifically mentioned Vesey as a older left-winger. He later added unequivocally that he is a special player.
But that's the thing, when did Gally lose his spot to Vesey and Miller? He was always on a line with Barber and Kuraly....unless I missed something.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Dharvey33

Last player with the skillset similar to what we are seeing with Gally is probably Richer and he scored 50 goals twice. just saying.

He looks like a mix of Getzlaf and Malkin with maybe less skills but he has the puck control of getzlaf and the habilty to deke will skating at full speed like Malkin. If we do this properly we have a gem that's for sure.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
But he didn't lose his place to Miller. At best, McGuire seems to imply that Gally lost the 1st C during the exhibition games...well unless we missed something, Miller wasn't that great to begin with even in those games. And if people remember it well, he wasn't that great at start of the tournament either. If you can listen to it again please do 'cause he does specifically mention Miller. Add Vesey in the conversation to mention who was the other linemate. But he said that Gally lost his spot to Miller which again, makes no sense.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Jean Beliveau.
lol... I'm thinking more along the lines of Wickenheiser? Maybe Chelios? ...

Old
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
HabsPassion

Heard McGuire's comments, I completely respect the guy and love listening to him every day, but today I was shaking my head in disapproval. To say Galchenyuk lost his spot and basically mention that he had an awful tournament is absurd. He did play a key part in the US victories, more then Vesey or Miller did by far lol. Today's talk was just ridiculous, he sounded like Gaston Therrien.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
lol... I'm thinking more along the lines of Wickenheiser? Maybe Chelios? ...
Wickenheiser ??? Please, don't jinx Gally. Chelios was like 22 y old when he joined the Habs after the 1984 Olympic Games.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Francois Gagnon on L'AC, just said that if gally makes the team, he told him that he's gonna take number 94.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Heard McGuire's comments, I completely respect the guy and love listening to him every day, but today I was shaking my head in disapproval. To say Galchenyuk lost his spot and basically mention that he had an awful tournament is absurd. He did play a key part in the US victories, more then Vesey or Miller did by far lol. Today's talk was just ridiculous, he sounded like Gaston Therrien.
He said that? If anything Galchenyuk showed he can not only play as a scoring forward, but a third line defensive player, as he demonstrated against both Canada and Sweden. McGuire needs to realize that in the shortened ice time his line received, Galchenyuk helped shut down Canada's offense and often pinned Sweden's top line in their own zone.

In my opinion, Galchenyuk proved me wrong on one account. I doubted his defensive game, saying it was good for the OHL but outside of that, he'd get exposed. He wasn't and neither was his line. On the contrary, they did phenomenal work with the minimal ice time they received AND Galchenyuk still put up points on top of that.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

When Kostitsyn came to our first camp people were blown away by his skating and shot.. people were saying he skates like Forsberg and has the forearms of Lafleur.

But was truly a amazing prospect he was dominant in the wjc for belarus... but he didnt have it between the hears and was easily influenced.. too bad he didnt have the mentors to guide him... to the promess land i would still take him back as a 3th liner poor kostitsyn he had no bad intentions.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
He said that? If anything Galchenyuk showed he can not only play as a scoring forward, but a third line defensive player, as he demonstrated against both Canada and Sweden. McGuire needs to realize that in the shortened ice time his line received, Galchenyuk helped shut down Canada's offense and often pinned Sweden's top line in their own zone.

In my opinion, Galchenyuk proved me wrong on one account. I doubted his defensive game, saying it was good for the OHL but outside of that, he'd get exposed. He wasn't and neither was his line. On the contrary, they did phenomenal work with the minimal ice time they received AND Galchenyuk still put up points on top of that.
McGuire mentioned that he had no impact on a Gold-Medal winning team, and he was in no way responsible for the win. Once again, left me shaking my head in disapproval. His defensive play was excellent, but he was not too bad offensively. He had 8 points in seven games, and his offense came in more games then that of Miller or Gaudreau who stepped up in the silver and gold medal game, but were MIA in the first few games of the tournament... Which I think Galchenyuk's presence and great start led to having top d oppositions versus him and not the top line (just my opinion).

Old
01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
It's a team game, in the end. You need your top lines to score and your bottom lines to contribute defensively. Galchenyuk brought the offense in the first few games of the tournament and then, after having a sub-par game against Russia, against Canada (the first game) he turned it on defensively and accepted the role he was given, whether it was warranted or not.

I don't know what more McGuire wants out of a player that played less than 15 minutes a game, yet helped shut down Canada and Sweden, while putting up 8 points.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I don't know what more McGuire wants out of a player that played less than 15 minutes a game, yet helped shut down Canada and Sweden, while putting up 8 points.
Be drafted by one of his buddies (like Burke) or be drafted by an organization that didn't turn him down to be a GM. Apparently he was gushing over Rielly on Toronto radio last week and his WJC was in no way better than Gally's.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
HabsPassion

Got a few quotes from Mr. Pierre McGuire

Quote:
"He did not have a great world junior. He was not a significant part of that team"
Quote:
"Dont do what you did with Guillaume Latendresse or Mike Ribeiro"
Quote:
"Hes a centermen. They did not draft him to be a winger...Don't even waste time puttng him on the wing"
Many flaws in all three of these arguments, but I respect his opinion greatly therefore I will not comment on these.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:

Many flaws in all three of these arguments, but I respect his opinion greatly therefore I will not comment on these.
I'm glad he's not our GM. Would've been hilarious to see him take over Brian Burke in Tarana.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Andy

McGuire is always a little extra critical when it comes to the Habs compared to any other team. He's always been this way. Many people know here that I dislike him, but to give him the benefit of the doubt...my guess is that it's the Habs fan in him talking more than anything else. Actually, this was one of the reasons I didn't want him as GM, he has good knowledge, but he reacts too much like a fan. Way too emotional in a bad way.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:

My god I'm so sick of the argument a player isn't ready for the NHL, jesus when will he be, when he goes to junior and scores 3ppg? His junior team sold everyone, he will be the only one left when he goes back and even then they'll just send him to a new team. Gally's done his time in Junior, proven it wasn't yak. He'll be fine, let's see what the coaching staff and GM thinks because after all, ya know he was choosen over this idiot.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
My god I'm so sick of the argument a player isn't ready for the NHL, jesus when will he be, when he goes to junior and scores 3ppg? His junior team sold everyone, he will be the only one left when he goes back and even then they'll just send him to a new team. Gally's done his time in Junior, proven it wasn't yak. He'll be fine, let's see what the coaching staff and GM thinks because after all, ya know he was choosen over this idiot.
You realize Gally had never played versus pro players until the WJC. There's a fine line between Junior hockey at 18 and NHL. It proves nothing. And when you're that young, no need to rush you.
There's more to it than meets the eye as well imo. I think that if management is looking at this year as a transitional one where we'll likely not even make the POs, then why lose an ELC year on a 48 game season where we're not even believed to make the POs.
Might be better for us to let him go back to the juniors, let him continue his dominance, see if he can dominate the POs, let this transitional year pass, give him another summer to train and work on wtv the coaching staff identified as weaknesses, and come back strong next year.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Schooner Guy

Can't believe anyone takes Pierre McGuire serious.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Rosso Scuderia

So where do you trace the thin line between NHL ready and don't rush the kid?

Is Gally really not good enough or we are just using the same tape about not rushing kid.

I know he lost a year in development which sucks but is he really that far from the NHL?

Would playing with vets like Gio, Plek, Cole against NHLers help him more or playing in a depleted junior team?

I think the fact that we have a short season could be a good opportunity for him to get some kind of "transition" year. A half season that will prepare him to the full NHL season next year.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Can't believe anyone takes Pierre McGuire serious.
He's a great hockey mind, he's just biased 75% of the time.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
The media needs to chill out. Every outlet is going Galchenyuk crazy. You have Pedneault going on TVA Sports and basically demanding he should be on the team because other top picks have played at age 18 recently.

We have 2 days of practices and some shootout goals so far. Let's see where he's at on Thursday night when they play what is somewhat comparable to a game and the vets in camp will be increasing their tempo to get ready for Saturday.

Closed Thread