HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos

Old
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ya I edited him in before you posted I guess
Damn you, haha.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
I'm going to be really pissed if we don't start to see Sid & Geno on the PK.
Eh, I'm not. You keep Sid & Geno on the PP and ES only, they can pull down 23 min of scoring threat a game each. Leave the PK to the experts. Unlike our PP, we typically have a good PK which are completely devoid of our 2 superstars.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Eh, I'm not. You keep Sid & Geno on the PP and ES only, they can pull down 23 min of scoring threat a game each. Leave the PK to the experts. Unlike our PP, we typically have a good PK which are completely devoid of our 2 superstars.
In the regular season. It was torched last year against Philly and Tampa did fairly well the year before if I remember correctly. It definitely needs change whether that's different schemes and/or personnel changes.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
More Bylsma: You'll see different players with Malkin and Neal. Won't always be the same player. Depends on situation
Quote:
More Bylsma: Legitimate chance Letang and Despres could play together come Saturday
Quote:
More Bylsma: Martin and Orpik play together as a shutdown pair
I didn't see these posted.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Why wouldn't you want that dynamic of having both of those guys out there on different PK units to keep the opposing players more honest in knowing that if they get too cute, they have Sid or Geno going in alone on their goalie for a shorty.

Geno used to play PK all the time and did it very well from what I recall.

They are both no defensive slouches and could really help out in that aspect of making other teams pay on their PP or as least make opposing teams think twice.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
SMH at just about all those things Disco said... rinse was and repeat with this guy.

UGHHHHH

Old
01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
SMH at just about all those things Disco said... rinse was and repeat with this guy.

UGHHHHH
i don't mind the defense pairings toooo much (I think Letang/Despres could be really great together), but I don't understand the 2nd line philosophy... why not put someone there and let them gel and develop a real chemistry?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Bennett Brauer

Bylsma also said Niskanen might see some time with Letang, so Despres and Niskanen switch pairs from time to time.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
i don't mind the defense pairings toooo much (I think Letang/Despres could be really great together), but I don't understand the 2nd line philosophy... why not put someone there and let them gel and develop a real chemistry?
Because Dan is an idiot. That just makes too much sense.

Also I really don't like the idea of SD seeing 1 pairing minutes.

I want him to make the team, but ideally i'd like to see him in the 3rd pairing role for this season and see how he progresses for the whole 48 games.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Disco has gone on record (as recently as last year, I think -EDIT: It was two seasons ago-) as saying that he doesn't believe in line chemistry. No joke. I don't know if that's just "coach speak" or not but it doesn't make a bit of sense, one way or the other.

Damnit. The quote was in a blurb on the official site during training camp during the 10-11 season... now I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited by BlindWillyMcHurt: 01-14-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Further clarification
BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Sivek

Watching Glass playing on the 2nd line with Malkin and Neal while trying to "protect" a lead is going to lead me to some type of destructive vice. Just gotta figure out what it'll be cause I know it's going to happen at some point.

Tanner Glass is finagling himself into Craig Adams 2.0.

C'mon DB, don't overthink it, don't put some skill-challenged plug with the currently best player in the world and a 40-goal scorer because you want more defense from that line. Don't do it man, that's just overcoaching 101. There's no game situation that's going to call for Tanner Glass ever playing on one of the best lines in the NHL, he's not even a center so you can't throw out the face-off excuse either.

Last edited by Sivek: 01-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Because Dan is an idiot. That just makes too much sense.

Also I really don't like the idea of SD seeing 1 pairing minutes.

I want him to make the team, but ideally i'd like to see him in the 3rd pairing role for this season and see how he progresses for the whole 48 games.
I wasn't thinking of it as some reward to Despres. Of course, it's a great situation, but I also think there's some logic to it.

First, I think their games (tanger and despres) compliment each other. Second, Letang is unquestionably the best overall D on the team, and with his speed and brains, he can help cover up some of Despres' mistakes while still allowing him to learn and grow and play without fear. Finally, it's OK to occasionally put your younger players in the best possible situation.

(Bonus: is there a better partner for Letang who is currently on the team? I didn't feel like they got much out of anyone they put with Letang last year, more like mitigated their ability to be a train wreck (mostly with regards to Martin and Orpik)

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of it as some reward to Despres. Of course, it's a great situation, but I also think there's some logic to it.

First, I think their games (tanger and despres) compliment each other. Second, Letang is unquestionably the best overall D on the team, and with his speed and brains, he can help cover up some of Despres' mistakes while still allowing him to learn and grow and play without fear. Finally, it's OK to occasionally put your younger players in the best possible situation.

(Bonus: is there a better partner for Letang who is currently on the team? I didn't feel like they got much out of anyone they put with Letang last year, more like mitigated their ability to be a train wreck (mostly with regards to Martin and Orpik)
If it were up to me I'd hope that guys bounced back from a really weird year last year and would go with...

Letang Orpik
Nisk Martin
Despres Engellend
Bort or Strait

For me I like the balance of a stay at home defender paired with a more mobile guy.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:

I love me some Letang. Man-crush on that sick flow.

But...am I the only one who finds it odd to praise Letang's brain? He's still relatively young, especially as a defenseman, he's still learning and evolving. But I've never counted him among the those with the best hockey sense on this team.

SuburbanRhythm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I love me some Letang. Man-crush on that sick flow.

But...am I the only one who finds it odd to praise Letang's brain? He's still relatively young, especially as a defenseman, he's still learning and evolving. But I've never counted him among the those with the best hockey sense on this team.
I too love Letang as well, but his composure in big game time situations is complete and utter dog-****.

embarrassing.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
If it were up to me I'd hope that guys bounced back from a really weird year last year and would go with...

Letang Orpik
Nisk Martin
Despres Engellend
Bort or Strait

For me I like the balance of a stay at home defender paired with a more mobile guy.
that 2nd pairing would get manhandled

Quote:
I too love Letang as well, but his composure in big game time situations is complete and utter dog-****.

embarrassing.
didn't he address this and admit it is something he needs to work on in the exit interviews last year?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Don't question the Tang.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:

didn't he address this and admit it is something he needs to work on in the exit interviews last year?
No clue, but I sure as hell hope so and he did!

Old
01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Agree with that part for sure. Would be one of the softest second pairings in hockey. Not because Nisky won't hit anyone but because he's just not big enough or strong enough to make up for Eggs Martin and his hollandaise-like D.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Mainly based on the seasons both had last year, it's a little worrying that Martin/Orpik is concerned the "shutdown pairing". Typically speaking, you don't want your two worst performing players trying to shut down the other team's best.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:54 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:

You mean physically? I wouldn't mind swapping Orpik and Martin either

Old
01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
mpp9

When talbot did it and we won, didn't hear anyone *****.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Ummm because we won and when he did it, it was a much different situation. The game was still in reach etc.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
talbot was the kind of guy who could pull it off. it was original at the time too. Letang seriously looked like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum a few times this year.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
mpp9

Quote:
talbot was the kind of guy who could pull it off. it was original at the time too. Letang seriously looked like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum a few times this year.
He is a long ways down the list of reasons why we lost against Philly. I'm sure people had a problem with Sid trolling too.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote