HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM/DAL] Mark Fistric for 2013 3rd Round Pick (MOD WARNING POST 255)

Old
01-14-2013, 09:07 PM
oilerbear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
What????

I'm an Oiler fan and even I know that comment is hilarious. We are not top 10.....we aren't even top 15.

We lack a #1 dman......we have some decent #2-7 or #3-7 but need that true elite #1

Smid - #2 or #3
Whitney - #3 (if he is fully recovered then might revert back to #2)
Petry - #4
J. Schultz - #5 (as he gains experience he will become better and be better than #5 but right now he is probably a #5. Will have his moments where he is great but will struggle at other times)
N. Schultz - #4 or #5
Fistric - #6
Peckham - #6 or #7
Potter - #7

If we could somehow add Subban () our D would look pretty good
Nice Opinion!

Opinion: a view or judgement formed about something, not based on fact or knowledge:

Now the Facts:
With Smid-Petry as top pair
Dubnyk was minimum 2.15Ga .930SV% depending on bottom 4.

When we rolled
Smid-Petry
Whitney-XXX
Peckham-Potter
.750 win% goalie with less than 2.00GA and .940Save%

A D pair is equal to the sum of its parts.
last half of the season smid-petry were the 7th best tough comp D pair.
three of those 7 are no longer together.

Whitney and N. Schultz were former top pairing D men.
both are now healthy.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Great move for Dallas. This is subtraction by addition for Edmonton.
Wut? Lol

Do tell.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I have no issue with Fistric, he's a fine 6/7 defensemen, but are there such a premium on defensemen in this league that role players are getting 3rd round draft picks? 3rd rounders aren't throw-away assets.
Consider yourself lucky if a 3rd rounder ever becomes an NHL regular. Oilers got an NHL regular in an area that they badly needed depth. They have enough young stars, and prospects, that they don't need any more gambles on picks for a while.

This was a good deal for both teams.

notloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Any other team gets him, he's a solid player. We get him, he's a broken pos.

Shrug. We just can't win.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

There's been multiple infractions handed out in this thread, so this is the final warning. Warnings will no longer be issued, infractions and thread/fourm bans to follow.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
dss97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
How's that pretty bad? If Whitney rebounds then I believe they have a chance to have a top 10 D core in the league
No.

If all the pieces fall together (Whitney returning to previous form, Schultz transitioning easily from the AHL, we manage to stay healthy for the most part all year), we might get out of the bottom ten in terms of quality of defense, and that is a very big if.

Last edited by dss97: 01-14-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: putting emphasis on might
dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Nice Opinion!

Opinion: a view or judgement formed about something, not based on fact or knowledge:

Now the Facts:

When we rolled
Smid-Petry
Whitney-XXX
Peckham-Potter

A D pair is equal to the sum of its parts.
last half of the season smid-petry were the 7th best tough comp D pair.
three of those 7 are no longer together.

Whitney and N. Schultz were former top pairing D men.
both are now healthy.
Yeah but what if Dubnyk doesnt 2.15ga?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I have no issue with Fistric, he's a fine 6/7 defensemen, but are there such a premium on defensemen in this league that role players are getting 3rd round draft picks? 3rd rounders aren't throw-away assets.
Edmonton wasted a second round pick on Mitch Moroz. By comparison a 3rd round for Fistric is a pretty good deal considering they would have just drafted a coke machine with it.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
On average, a third round pick is worth less than Fistric (a fully-developed 6/7 dman who is 26).

Any team that felt they had a shot at re-signing him would make that trade all day.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I wonder how many 3rd round draft picks average ~245 games in the NHL

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Nice Opinion!

Now the Facts:

When we rolled
Smid-Petry
Whitney-XXX
Peckham-Potter

What was the sample size for that? 10-15 games? Anything can happen in a short time frame.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
On average, a third round pick is worth less than Fistric (a fully-developed 6/7 dman who is 26).

Any team that felt they had a shot at re-signing him would make that trade all day.

Yeah, I think Fistric is definitely worth a 3rd given that he's from Edmonton and seemingly highly likely to resign there. The value is contingent on resigning though since one year of a 6/7 dman wouldn't be worth it.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Flyinghab

Great trade for the Oilers. They need D desperately!

Flyinghab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:16 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
We now have one of the best defense in the league. Dallas got fleeced, can't wait till we win the cup in a couple years. #yolo #swag.... Am I doing it right?

PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Highmarker

The oilers while still missing a true #1 can ice a pretty solid d lineup now.

I don't think they are one of the worst like many are still saying, i think they have an average d core compared with the rest of the league.

Whitney will rebound
Smid/N.Schultz are solid d men
Petry at many times was the Oilers best d men and showed great promise.
J. Schultz looks as though he'll be a stud
Fistric is a great bottom pairing d man.

honestly i think Edm is ready to break out... the d is respectable, the top 6 should light it up, and Devan Dubnyk is going to surprise a lot of people around the league this year.

Highmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
SighReally

Oilers trades for 3rd pairing defenseman to shore up defense.

Suddenly discussion Oilers defense in general break out (while the only change is Fistric) and whether the Oilers have a #1.

Only on Hfboards~

SighReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
oilinblood

Just a few thoughts.

I watch tonnes of hockey and this is my view on this;

Igor Ulanov. Lots of Oiler fans loved him because we can understand the game and whose responsible for what. If Ulanov goes for a big hit his d partner should know and be covering. There should be communication and knowing when your partner is in strong position to support you closing a gap or opening up the middle. your d should know and adjust. Shot blocking - Hitting - Paying the price - Making opponents pay the price. Thats what we needed. Petry-Schultz and Whitney on half a leg can more than handle the offensive transition and point play load for a team that will have 10 forwards ready to play on 2 PP units (4 on each plus 1 extra each for subbing/injuries). DD is also a big reason for this... crease clearing and knocking people out in the crease is a necessity. I also expect our tough guys will be given the green light for suspendable actions --like they were last year-- if they need to respond to something. Depth.

If you think of Fistric as a Ulanov... you will be prepared.

This team has sorely missed that.

A second point i will make is the Oilers get a guy who can play either side. If anyone plays defense you know how difficult your wrong side can be... a solid defensive partner is a must. Luckily our left is the solid defensive side with Smid and N Schultz. I see a good chance for him to have a solid year. He will need a solid partner if he is to take on the handicap of wrong side shutdown defense. Whitney - when healthy (and we know now that "healthy " whitney actually was 80% and perhaps will never be and never has been his 100% best) had looked elite on both sides of the puck. I am not counting on Whits returning to form but it would be a nice surprise to get back the 80% Whitter.

Also in a 48 game season it is extremely important to not only have dpth but to have your defense put in specific roles. In a 48 gae push you want everyone maximized. Taking Fistric means easing tough defensive ice time from guys like Petry and J Schultz who you want to be fresh for PP and 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 and advantageous draws.

Also If fistric (5th in NHL hits playing in only 60 games) can hammer opponents in the crease and on the defensive boards than that ends plays. The less our dynamite top 6 have to run around trying to defend the more they can spend their energy lighting red lamps. too many years watching Gilberts and Barkers and Fosters and even Souray nudge players and *****-foot their defensive responsibility.

Id like one more DD...prefer RHD DD

I still want the natural RHD - Boychuk but that is a long shot and for now this might be all thats available for NHL ready and known d-man. He is what he is, every expert knows what to expect. I dont picture a learning curve here other than systems and teammates/d-partners.

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-15-2013 at 02:02 AM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:56 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
There's been multiple infractions handed out in this thread, so this is the final warning. Warnings will no longer be issued, infractions and thread/fourm bans to follow.
defies logic how people can get all antsy over a deal BOTH fans bases think is fine and works out perfectly

oilers needed a d-man who is cheap and can hit
stars have plenty of D-men like that

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Adirondack Flames

I think this is a good deal for the Oilers. Fistric while nothing special is a solid defense first defenseman with a physical edge. I think this move coupled with the deadline acquisition of Nick Schultz will make a big difference for the Oilers defensively.

What will the Oiler defense pairings look like after this move when everyone is healthy? I have to confess I never paid alot of attention to their defense combinations last year but with just glancing I would assume Peckham will go to the minors and the #7 spot will be decided between Sutton & Potter?

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Biases aside, this is a GREAT hockey trade. It's too bad some people decide to go to extremes to make it feel like they "won" a trade.

Fistric was a victim of numbers, and frankly was losing his spot to people in the Dallas system. This doesn't mean that he sucks; he was simply going to be lost for nothing, and Dallas (rightfully) wanted to acquire an asset for him. Good on them.

For Edmonton, Fistric filled a couple key needs: toughness, a veteran bottom pairing defenseman, and most importantly, direction. The Oilers are now spending picks, instead of stockpiling them, to improve the overall scope of the team. It shows a commitment, no matter how minute, to turning the organization's direction and wanting to be a contender. For all the flak Edmonton has received for getting first overalls, they're starting to put themselves in a position where that won't be a problem anymore.

The only losers out of this trade are the people desperately trying to discredit either team for making a solid trade that benefits both.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:29 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Biases aside, this is a GREAT hockey trade. It's too bad some people decide to go to extremes to make it feel like they "won" a trade.

Fistric was a victim of numbers, and frankly was losing his spot to people in the Dallas system. This doesn't mean that he sucks; he was simply going to be lost for nothing, and Dallas (rightfully) wanted to acquire an asset for him. Good on them.

For Edmonton, Fistric filled a couple key needs: toughness, a veteran bottom pairing defenseman, and most importantly, direction. The Oilers are now spending picks, instead of stockpiling them, to improve the overall scope of the team. It shows a commitment, no matter how minute, to turning the organization's direction and wanting to be a contender. For all the flak Edmonton has received for getting first overalls, they're starting to put themselves in a position where that won't be a problem anymore.

The only losers out of this trade are the people desperately trying to discredit either team for making a solid trade that benefits both.

Well said . I 100% agree with everything you said . This trade has been talked about for 3 years now , maybe Dallas,s fan knew he wanted to come home to play and why lose him in 48 games for nothing ?
I think both teams will be happy with this trade . Fistric should be real happy as Edmonton is his home in the off season and now he get to be with his family and GF all year .
I say welcome home Fistric and good luck with the pick Dallas . Nice doing business with you .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I think this is a good deal for the Oilers. Fistric while nothing special is a solid defense first defenseman with a physical edge. I think this move coupled with the deadline acquisition of Nick Schultz will make a big difference for the Oilers defensively.

What will the Oiler defense pairings look like after this move when everyone is healthy? I have to confess I never paid alot of attention to their defense combinations last year but with just glancing I would assume Peckham will go to the minors and the #7 spot will be decided between Sutton & Potter?
As it stands, Sutton looks to be done for the year, and Peckham just got injured so he will be sidelined for a while. Potter will be chillin' in the press box. How it shakes out between Potter and Peckham when he gets back is anybody's guess.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:12 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Nice trade for the Oil.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I wonder how many 3rd round draft picks average ~245 games in the NHL
In the 6 drafts between 2000-2005 there were 30 players drafted in the 3rd round who have played 200 or more NHL games (actually 199 or more). It is actually pretty consistent. About 1 in 6 3rd rounders play 200 games.

In that group about 8-9 players would be at least a step above Fistric. So roughly speaking you are trading away a 1/15 chance to get a player with greater impact for a guy who can play for you now.

From this perspective it is a win for the Oilers. However, if Fistric was not going to be in the cards for Dallas than a 3rd is a nice return. DRaft picks tend to have more value than the odds might suggest, the difference between a generic 3rd and a mid level 2nd is not that great.

So really, this is a very good hockey trade.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Wut? Lol

Do tell.
I guess he's talking about how bad Fistric looks sometimes on the ice, which is normal for these 6-7th d-man types

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote