HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
I hope I am too, because having him around muddles up the picture and he doesn't deserve a title shot. I don't like Okami at all, but his game is effective. He beats far better strikers in spite of a seeming lack of power or pop. He smothers or takes rounds from guys perceived to be better grapplers than him. He's the definition of well rounded, his top game is extremely tough to match and against anyone who has a remote interest in taking the fight to the ground he will wind up on top at some point.

I think 185 will be in very good shape with the SF additions. Rockhold and Jacare will bring something different to the table. I like it much more than in the past.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Well I hope you're wrong (no offense of course ). No one wants to see Okami-Silva again, and aside from Weidman Lombard seems to be the only thing we've got at 185 right now. If Lombard wins this you figure maybe one more win and at least you have a somewhat intriguing fresh matchup for Anderson.
I don't think Lombard and Weidman will ever fight, and I hope not because they're two of my favorites.

Both are considered big contenders to Silva whether you believe it's justified or not.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I don't think Lombard and Weidman will ever fight, and I hope not because they're two of my favorites.

Both are considered big contenders to Silva whether you believe it's justified or not.
Yeah no (I could see where I may have worded it funny) I agree. I meant all we have at 185 aside from Weidman is Lombard. I definitely don't want the two fighting one another. Hopefully Weidman gets him next, and should Lombard beat Okami he'd probably just need one more win to earn a title shot (possibly none depending on timing, how impressive the win is, etc.).

Old
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I think Bisping deserves a title shot if he can beat Belfort. That one win would be more impressive than anything Lombard has done in his career.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think Bisping deserves a title shot if he can beat Belfort. That one win would be more impressive than anything Lombard has done in his career.
Yeah if Bisping beats Belfort I think he gets it even before Weidman (which he should not). I have a feeling Belfort beats him though. But that being said, and I know this isn't the sole criteria for making title fights, but who has a better chance of beating Anderson? IMO it is Lombard.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
Nightmare of a matchup for Okami.
Good, get his boring ass out of there. He's a disgrace to martial arts, sucks the talent right out of the sport by holding his opponents on the fence.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Good, get his boring ass out of there. He's a disgrace to martial arts, sucks the talent right out of the sport by holding his opponents on the fence.
What?

Aren't you a hardcore GSP fan? You'd think a fan of a play-it-safe-hold-a-guy-on-the-canvas fighter would appreciate Okami's ability to control fights and keep them where he wants them.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

He's one of the best at 185.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
m9

Quote:
Harsh and I wouldn't describe him as a disgrace, but he isn't the most entertaining guy and I'm not a fan either.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:17 AM
VLoo

Quote:
Maybe he'll get a fight at the next Montreal card and you complain about how awful the yearly card is.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Ben Henderson vs Gilbert Melendez

Quote:
According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the UFC has its sights set on April 20's UFC on FOX 7 event to pair UFC lightweight titleholder Henderson against Strikeforce's last reigning divisional champion, Gilbert Melendez.
Quote:
According to sources, there are still potential roadblocks to the Henderson vs. Melendez that could force the organization to take a different path, but that matchup is the organization's intended direction.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/14...lbert-melendez

Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Hot damn. Pumped for that.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I'll be rooting for Melendez but Henderson looked amazing against Diaz, he'll be very hard to beat. I think Melendez will have to use his wrestling to win this fight.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
CNS
A World Alone

I hope Melendez destroys him. Looking forward to that fight.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Peter Griffin

Melendez didn't look very impressive against Josh Thomson and the competition Benson has faced is a step above who Melendez has been fighting minus maybe Shinya Aoki. I think Benson takes that fight rather easily.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Melendez didn't look very impressive against Josh Thomson and the competition Benson has faced is a step above who Melendez has been fighting minus maybe Shinya Aoki. I think Benson takes that fight rather easily.
I agree, although you could say those same things about Henderson when he moved from the WEC coming off the Pettis loss and look what he's done.

Henderson via unanimous decision.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

All the title fights at LW are two guys that I like. I almost want Pettis to get a title shot so I can root vehemently against someone as well as for someone.

Nah, screw that.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
DeathFromAbove

Good matchup but Melendez looked bad against Thomson.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Good matchup but Melendez looked bad against Thomson.
Sometimes, guys just don't matchup well with others. It's not like Thomson is a bad fighter either. The guy seems to be kind of underrated.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I agree, although you could say those same things about Henderson when he moved from the WEC coming off the Pettis loss and look what he's done.
I don't know, I'd say his wins over Cerrone and Varner are more impressive than anything Melendez has accomplished. Maybe I'm just not a Gil fan, I think he's highly overrated. Will be fun to see what happens regardless.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
I don't know, I'd say his wins over Cerrone and Varner are more impressive than anything Melendez has accomplished. Maybe I'm just not a Gil fan, I think he's highly overrated. Will be fun to see what happens regardless.
Aoki and Kawajiri are at least comparable.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Aoki and Kawajiri are at least comparable.
Cerrone & Varner are better fighters than Aoki & Kawajiri.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Sometimes, guys just don't matchup well with others. It's not like Thomson is a bad fighter either. The guy seems to be kind of underrated.
Thomson is good but he's barely a top 20 lightweight. Melendez also looked unimpressive against Masvidal.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
m9

Quote:
In hindsight maybe, but at the time Varner was a UFC washout and Cerrone was a guy many people thought couldn't even stick in the UFC. Plus he lost to Pettis on his way in. Current Melendez's resume is better than Henderson 's at the time.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:01 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Cerrone & Varner are better fighters than Aoki & Kawajiri.
Aoki is better than both of Cowboy and Varner, or at least he's equal with Cowboy.

Also, Pettis did struggle standing with Shane Roller.

Closed Thread