HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I have a question with the new re-signing rule. So is it that a player can be re-signed by 8 years if re-signed by the club he was with the previous season, or is it just guys drafted by said team?

If it's guys who played out their current contract with the old squad, say we traded for a top pairing guy on an expiring contract at the deadline, we could then sign him for 8 years instead of 7 correct? If that's how the rule goes, deadline deals could be interesting for elite players and teams seeking those players. If the guy is young, you'd rather get him on your squad before he hits free agency, and if you're a player who wants to play on that squad, it'd work out best for you to try to get that extra year.
You've got it right. According to Elliotte Friedman's column today, the player just has to be on your reserve list at the most recent trade deadline to qualify for the eighth-year exception. So any deadline rentals would be able to be re-signed in the summer for up to eight years.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If Tangradi is the player I believe him to be, he could eventually thrive with either Malkin or Crosby.

The key word is eventually.

With DB his leash is short, so I would just feel better if he was with Crosby, since I feel he can build more confidence off the bat with him, rather than Malkin.

We'll see what happens.
Bylsma already said in his interview today that Tangradi wouldn't be playing on that line full time. It will be a rotation between players like him, Sutter, Glass, Cooke, etc. as the situation in the game dictates it.

So basically he's going to still continue to get yanked around and benched for long stretches at a time.

We might as well trade him if that's going to be the case again this season.

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...ed-share-video

Old
01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
mpp9

Give the kid a legit shot. Use Sutter in that spot on occasion for face offs. No reason to have so much rotation on that line.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Give the kid a legit shot. Use Sutter in that spot on occasion for face offs. No reason to have so much rotation on that line.
As long as Bylsma is the coach, there will never be a legit shot for any forward prospect. I think it's time to start accepting that fact. Hell Jeffrey isn't even on one of the 4 lines in camp, and he's had more of a claim to be tried out in a top spot than Tangradi ever has.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
As long as Bylsma is the coach, there will never be a legit shot for any forward prospect. I think it's time to start accepting that fact. Hell Jeffrey isn't even on one of the 4 lines in camp, and he's had more of a claim to be tried out in a top spot than Tangradi ever has.
Tangradi's getting first crack on a scoring line with Malkin. I don't think you can reasonably expect more than that as a rookie...a rookie that wasn't exactly lighting it up down in WBS, even if he was doing other things well.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

You don't need forward prospects when you have Craig Adams.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Craig Adams.... Harvard man, Disco Disciple, Grinder.

There can be only One ™

Old
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Tangradi's getting first crack on a scoring line with Malkin. I don't think you can reasonably expect more than that as a rookie...a rookie that wasn't exactly lighting it up down in WBS, even if he was doing other things well.
Well I am assuming a little bit here, but I don't think it's out of reason to see that Tangradi will be getting yanked around again with random benchings for unknown reasons, and getting replaced by pluggers like Glass or Cooke for the majority of games because they will need that "defensive presence" to secure the lead, or put more proven scorers there to get a lead. If you're going to put him on that line, then put him on that line. Don't put him and 4 or 5 other players on that line depending on the situation.

Tangradi needs consistency, not being bounced around. I'd rather see him play consistently on the 4th line, than play 5 minutes a night on the 2nd. That clearly hasn't helped his development up until now.

Like I said, it's not just Tangradi. Jeffrey has more of a claim to be tried out in a top line position than him, but he's not even in the discussion so far.

I just want to be proven wrong that Bylsma actually knows how to develop and utilize young forwards. What I've seen so far makes it seem like he doesn't though.

edit: I just want people to know what I am upset over isn't the treatment of one specific player. I couldn't give a **** less about Tangradi. Frankly he hasn't proven a whole lot (while not being given a whole lot either). What I'm upset over is Bylsma's treatment of younger players. If you're going to give a young guy a chance, then give him a damn chance. Don't yank the kid around. I don't believe that helps ANY kid develop. I don't care what your pedigree is, if you are constantly worrying about screwing up, or aren't being given consistent minutes, or aren't being shown confidence by the coaching staff to keep putting you back out there, you aren't going to get better, and you're just going to keep worrying about every single little detail that should (and probably has) come naturally at this point in your career.

Last edited by MrBurgundy*: 01-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I see a coach pandering to his vets, again. If you want to give Sutter some opportunity, by all means do so. Helps us longterm keep him here and gives Geno a f/o guy. Keep Kunitz/Sid/Duper, Cooke/Sutter/TK together. Trust Geno to be a responsible two way center and there's no need to move ****ing tanner glass on his LW.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I see a coach pandering to his vets, again. If you want to give Sutter some opportunity, by all means do so. Helps us longterm keep him here and gives Geno a f/o guy. Keep Kunitz/Sid/Duper, Cooke/Sutter/TK together. Trust Geno to be a responsible two way center and there's no need to move ****ing tanner glass on his LW.
The thing that gets me is that every single other coach in Malkin's career thought of him as a responsible two way player, and they knew that the more responsibility they gave him, the more they got out of him and better player he became.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Riptide

Quote:
The thing that gets me is that every single other coach in Malkin's career thought of him as a responsible two way player, and they knew that the more responsibility they gave him, the more they got out of him and better player he became.
It's not about him not being a responsible 2 way player. It's about him still being a poor faceoff guy. He's really really improved - especially last year when Sid was out. However if the coaches have noticed area's that he weak on within the circle (such as on the right side), what's wrong with them getting Sutter to take those in an attempt to maximize Malkin's time in the offensive zone with the puck?

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Well I am assuming a little bit here, but I don't think it's out of reason to see that Tangradi will be getting yanked around again with random benchings for unknown reasons, and getting replaced by pluggers like Glass or Cooke for the majority of games because they will need that "defensive presence" to secure the lead, or put more proven scorers there to get a lead. If you're going to put him on that line, then put him on that line. Don't put him and 4 or 5 other players on that line depending on the situation.

Tangradi needs consistency, not being bounced around. I'd rather see him play consistently on the 4th line, than play 5 minutes a night on the 2nd. That clearly hasn't helped his development up until now.

Like I said, it's not just Tangradi. Jeffrey has more of a claim to be tried out in a top line position than him, but he's not even in the discussion so far.

I just want to be proven wrong that Bylsma actually knows how to develop and utilize young forwards. What I've seen so far makes it seem like he doesn't though.

edit: I just want people to know what I am upset over isn't the treatment of one specific player. I couldn't give a **** less about Tangradi. Frankly he hasn't proven a whole lot (while not being given a whole lot either). What I'm upset over is Bylsma's treatment of younger players. If you're going to give a young guy a chance, then give him a damn chance. Don't yank the kid around. I don't believe that helps ANY kid develop. I don't care what your pedigree is, if you are constantly worrying about screwing up, or aren't being given consistent minutes, or aren't being shown confidence by the coaching staff to keep putting you back out there, you aren't going to get better, and you're just going to keep worrying about every single little detail that should (and probably has) come naturally at this point in your career.
I'll step right up and say I care about Tangradi doing well. I'm not worried about what others think or pandering to the people who love to rag on this kid. I want him to do well because he has the tools to help this team win.

Tangradi is talented and if this team can't develop him into a top 9 player, there is an issue there with this org.

There is zero reason he shouldn't be at worst an effective third liner. Zero.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Let the Big Dog Eat

Old
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Let the Big Dog Eat
Emily Elizabeth = DB?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Emily Elizabeth = DB?
realtalk - did you remember her name? or did you look it up?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
realtalk - did you remember her name? or did you look it up?
was thinking the same thing

Old
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
was thinking the same thing
Haha as was I. Immediate reaction.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I have a two year old daughter boys... I know the Clifford song by heart...

Along with Mickey's Hot Dog Dance.... Bubble Guppies theme song...

And way more than I care to admit.

From Godsmack to the Hot Dog dance....

Old
01-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I have a two year old daughter boys... I know the Clifford song by heart...

Along with Mickey's Hot Dog Dance.... Bubble Guppies theme song...

And way more than I care to admit.

From Godsmack to the Hot Dog dance....
fair enough I'm not judging I was just impressed. Unless I am told otherwise, I think I just assume everyone is exactly as old as me and in the exact same living situation

Old
01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
fair enough I'm not judging I was just impressed. Unless I am told otherwise, I think I just assume everyone is exactly as old as me and in the exact same living situation
I used to go for my runs and have Tool, Godsmack and Prodigy songs in my head... Now I sing the Hot Dog song and try to convince myself it isn't weird to think Daisy Duck is pretty hot.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
I used to go for my runs and have Tool, Godsmack and Prodigy songs in my head... Now I sing the Hot Dog song and try to convince myself it isn't weird to think Daisy Duck is pretty hot.
i think you're good until you get a crush on Amelia Bedelia.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
so all in all, having kids has improved your taste in music

Old
01-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
so all in all, having kids has improved your taste in music
I recently found out They Might Be Giants sing the Hot Dog song...

I've never felt more lame.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:56 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'll step right up and say I care about Tangradi doing well. I'm not worried about what others think or pandering to the people who love to rag on this kid. I want him to do well because he has the tools to help this team win.

Tangradi is talented and if this team can't develop him into a top 9 player, there is an issue there with this org.

There is zero reason he shouldn't be at worst an effective third liner. Zero.
Maybe my wording was bad. I care about him doing well, but I don't care about him in particular in this scenario. He's just a symptom of the problem, and somebody we can point to as an example.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
I recently found out They Might Be Giants sing the Hot Dog song...

I've never felt more lame.
HA!

Love TMBG. Lincoln, Flood and Apollo 18, in particular.

Closed Thread