01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
That's just indigestion.
So.....what's gonna become of that avatar?

01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

vCash: 500
I wonder if the negotiations with Jamie have anything to do with the trading of a defenseman who is in direct competition for a roster spot with Jordie.

There's no way this trade was done for its hockey merits. Fistric was not expendable yet.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
The Red Wings are pretty tough to play against and their lineup hasn't exactly been very... rough and tumble lately. They just have tenacity in their bottom 6 and some solid D-men.

Fistric's puck skills are basically zero. His mobility isn't that great. He'd basically been replaced by Aaron Rome as the team's 6/7. I think Rome has considerably better puck skills and just as much physicality. Plus the Boston show'll be much more interesting next year.

It's not a bad trade. It's a completely logical trade to open a defensive roster spot and get a pick back for a guy that would likely never play because of his lack of actual systemic value.

I'm just not sold on Rome playing regularly. Or Jordie Benn. To be honest I'd really love to see Oleksiak stick, and I understand the displeasure of possible low ice time, but it's a short season and his ELC is ticking.
@ first bolded bit: God, really? That sucks. Rome's not really physical. His hit on Horton in the SCF was the only major penalty he'd ever taken in his career by that point. Puck skills...uh...if dumping the puck off the glass to centre ice equates to puck skills, the he's got lots.

@ second bolded bit: Nor should you be.

I have to admit I was surprised when I heard how little Fistric went for. Remember his WHL days here with the Giants; I gather he hasn't developed as much as projected. Anyway, if you're honestly looking at Rome as a better option...well, good deal for Dallas I guess.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I could get behind Benn + Robidas for Pietrangelo.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
question from an oiler fan

it has been suggested on the oiler board mark asked to get traded for family reasons because he just had a kid and all his family is in edmonton

any truth to this~?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

it has been suggested on the oiler board mark asked to get traded for family reasons because he just had a kid and all his family is in edmonton

any truth to this~?
Might be a happy coincidence, but most on here knew that Fistric wasn't going to last the year in Dallas anyways. Not sure who instigated the move (Fistric, GMJN, or Tambo)

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

any truth to this~?
Doubt there's any truth to it. Even so, most here knew he wouldn't last past the deadline here.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Doubt it was GMJN. Didn't he say he wasn't planning on making any moves?

I wouldn't be surprised if Fistric did ask for a trade. He may have realized at training camp than he could (and probably would) lose his spot at #6 to Rome or Benn, and saw the opportunity to not only get playing time but also get closer to his family.

Tambo would've asked yesterday IMO. Doubt it was all him either.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Dirty Kari

Glad he is out. He was given a chance with an expanded role after the Grossman trade and didn't look good. He doesn't have the hockey sense to be anything but a 3rd pairing d-man. Wanted him, Wandell, and Vincour gone for awhile now. Hopefully we liquidate the other two at some point as the writing is on the wall for both of them.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Doubt it was GMJN. Didn't he say he wasn't planning on making any moves?

I wouldn't be surprised if Fistric did ask for a trade. He may have realized at training camp than he could (and probably would) lose his spot at #6 to Rome or Benn, and saw the opportunity to not only get playing time but also get closer to his family.

Tambo would've asked yesterday IMO. Doubt it was all him either.
Yeah, that 3rd rounder was just too good of a deal to pass up that he changed his plans mid course...

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
Glad he is out. He was given a chance with an expanded role after the Grossman trade and didn't look good. He doesn't have the hockey sense to be anything but a 3rd pairing d-man. Wanted him, Wandell, and Vincour gone for awhile now. Hopefully we liquidate the other two at some point as the writing is on the wall for both of them.
Why...?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why...?
They are going to be replaced internally by better prospects. Wandell doesn't have a future here with Eakin and Faksa. Vincour might have already lost his spot. Try and get as much as you can for them before they lose their "potential" in the eyes of other teams. Just good asset management.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
They are going to be replaced internally by better prospects. Wandell doesn't have a future here with Eakin and Faksa. Vincour might have already lost his spot. Try and get as much as you can for them before they lose their "potential" in the eyes of other teams. Just good asset management.
Considering Wandell and Vincour to be in the same category at this point in time is silly. I'm a Wandell supporter but it's clear there's not a spot for him here anymore. Vincour is a whole other situation entirely. He's a big body with a questionable NHL scoring ceiling; even if he never blossoms offensively he's good enough at the other things it takes to win for him to be an NHL player. There's a spot for him on this team, sooner or later.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Considering Wandell and Vincour to be in the same category at this point in time is silly. I'm a Wandell supporter but it's clear there's not a spot for him here anymore. Vincour is a whole other situation entirely. He's a big body with a questionable NHL scoring ceiling; even if he never blossoms offensively he's good enough at the other things it takes to win for him to be an NHL player. There's a spot for him on this team, sooner or later.
i really don't get the love for vincour around here. nothing i've seen from him even remotely makes me think he's part of the future group... he better improve a lot if he's going to make an impact.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Plus .... Vincour just turned 22. People have conniptions if 24 year old Austin Smith doesn't play an AHL game, but they're quick to cast off a burgeoning defensive forward who may or may not become a consistent scorer in the NHL.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Vincour could be a decent to very good checking winger. I don't see him lighting up the scoreboard but he has all the physical tools, not to mention the ability to fight for the puck to be an above average checker. Giving up on him now is ridiculous. He's a 22 year old work in progress who's played in total 71 NHL games over two seasons. He hasn't even played a full schedule with anything close to good linemates for more than 20 games and anyone who wants to give up on him now is out of their minds. Kid probably isn't top six material, but there are bottom six roles to fill and he's shown he's capable in that type of situation.

I can't speak for his AHL start this year but if the question is who's better in a lower line role Vincour vs Wandell, it's Czech product without a doubt.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i really don't get the love for vincour around here. nothing i've seen from him even remotely makes me think he's part of the future group... he better improve a lot if he's going to make an impact.
It's not irrational love. It's identifying a valuable role player who could be more. You need guys like Sceviour and Vincour in a lineup who can play effective, reliable two-way hockey. Everyone isn't going to be a 20 goals scorer.

At worst, Vncour is proving he can be an effective checker and play the PK.

When you flippantly throw away NHL prospects who play that role you end up spending $1.8 million on Bottom 6ers like Fiddler and $1+ on Burish.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I'm not particularly high on Vincour but people here cream their pants over scoring prospects and then complain when the big club loses games due to lack of toughness or skill in the bottom six. Vincour is reliable defensively and has a big body. If he's toiling on our 3-4th lines over the next few years I won't exactly feel like he's been stealing a spot from the guy who would put us over the top.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It's not irrational love. It's identifying a valuable role player who could be more. You need guys like Sceviour and Vincour in a lineup who can play effective, reliable two-way hockey. Everyone isn't going to be a 20 goals scorer.

At worst, Vncour is proving he can be an effective checker and play the PK.

When you flippantly throw away NHL prospects who play that role you end up spending $1.8 million on Bottom 6ers like Fiddler and $1+ on Burish.
i totally agree with the principle here, i just don't think he is "proving he can be an effective checker." as you say though, he is young and could develop, i just don't think he's ready now. i'd love to be wrong.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
The problem with this is that the guys that are coming up behind him in Texas (they might be already ahead of him) ALSO have big bodies and other intangibles. I just don't see it happening for Vincour. He has to compete with Smith, Stransky, Ritchie, and Chiasson for potential top six spots in the future. If they fail to make top six roles then they all have the ability to be quality 3rd liners too, Thats not counting potential UFA's or trade acquisitions in the top nine I don't mind giving him a chance for now and am certainly more optimistic about him than Wandell. I just think we are going to find out he isn't much of anything and then he will be worthless in a trade or he will head back to Europe. I hope I am wrong.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
The fundamental disconnect here is that the Vincour detractors see him as a failed top-6 prospect while the Vincour supporters see him as a successful bottom-6 prospect.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Quote:
he problem with this is that the guys that are coming up behind him in Texas (they might be already ahead of him) ALSO have big bodies and other intangibles. I just don't see it happening for Vincour. He has to compete with Smith, Stransky, Ritchie, and Chiasson for potential top six spots in the future
You do realize Vincour is younger than Alex Chiasson, and just a year older than Reilly Smith and Scott Glennie, right?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
You realize Vincour is just a year older than Reilly Smith and Scott Glennie, right?
Yeah ... same draft class just a late birth. He and Chiasson are right around the same age.

Even if you write off Glennie (which is perfectly fair ... not trying to start that debate right now), that 2009 draft is shaping up to be a hell of a haul.

Smith and Chiasson are shaping up to be realistic Top 6 options, and you've got another depth player in Vincour. 3 potential NHLers out of one draft is hard to do.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah ... same draft class just a late birth. He and Chiasson are right around the same age.

Even if you write off Glennie (which is perfectly fair ... not trying to start that debate right now), that 2009 draft is shaping up to be a hell of a haul.

Smith and Chiasson are shaping up to be realistic Top 6 options, and you've got another depth player in Vincour. 3 potential NHLers out of one draft is hard to do.
Exactly.

If you told us in 2009 our 5th round pick would be in the NHL by 2010, as a defensively sound puck-possession type player, would you say we should be getting rid of him by 2013? Vincour's development has been pretty incredible and quicker than anyone else in this organization since Benn. He might not have the hands to ever be a top 6 forward, but that's no reason to call him a failure.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Exactly. If you told us in 2009 our 5th round pick would be in the NHL by 2010, as a defensively sound puck-possession type player, would you say we should be getting rid of him by 2013?
No, but I agree with you. Get to work on those other guys.