HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Science Background/Hello Thread?

Old
11-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Name: Teemu/Michael

Scientific background: Neuroscience. Although I am now in healthcare administration, I started in biomedicine. I mainly studied the biological pathways of addiction. I performed research for four universities, including the University of Chicago. I also won a small scholarship for my work investigating age-related differences in the way cocaine affects the brain. I also have an amateur interest in archaeology, particularly as it relates to the Levant.

Why I love science: I love learning.

Last edited by Teemu: 11-15-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
PSUCapsFan

Name: Gene

Scientific Background: BS in chemistry from Penn State, just started organic chem Ph.D program at UC Irvine.

Why you like Science: Always been curious about the world around me.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Name: Jon

Background: I have a DEC (which is something between high school and university) in Engineering Technologies which was basically a mix of electrical, mechanical and civil engineering at a pre-university level.

Why I love science: Because everything we now do is based off of scientific research, and I love applying it. I work in a field where we're always exploring new technologies and it's very interesting to see how certain technology is applied in real life.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 183
Woh just noticed this Forum today. I had supported the movement !

Name: Joe

Background: Studying Computer Science considering Physics Minor.

Why I like Science:
Physics by far is the most interesting science to me. Always cool learning why things behave in a certain ways due to physics.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:05 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
great to have a forum like this, especially with no hockey

name: Voldemort (friends on boards call me "Volde")

Science background:Sickly child who wanted to be an astronaut, read lots of books... ended up with a BS in Biology(Chem minor) then MD, now a practicing otolaryngologist(Ear Nose Throat surgeon).

why I love science: science is basically The Rules of Life, The Universe, and Everything

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Background: Bachelor of Science in Psychology, planning to get my PhD. in Psychiatry. See if that ever happens.

Why I like science: Answers. The universe is a mystery.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Sevanston

Name: Conrad

Background: Studied computer science with a focus on AI at University of Toronto. This came with a lot of work in math, stats, and cognitive science as well. Now working as a software developer in New York, but I'm still toying with the idea of going back to college to do AI research.

Why I love science: It's badass.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Aerolanche

Background: B.Eng. in aerospace engineering, M.A.Sc. candidate in aeronautics. I am currently in the design stages of my graduate project in experimental aeronautics.

Interests: Rocketry, air-breathing engines, aerodynamics, wind energy, racing

Outside of my own work, I always have an eye on SCRAMJet research. I'd love to get into that one day. Seems like there is work to be done.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
darksociety

B.Sc Geological Sciences; I specialized in structural controls on Archean lode gold mineralization, but am interested in a broad range of topics including Precambrian tectonics, mass extinctions, emergence of life and paleoclimatology.

I am considering completing a B.Sc. in computer science as well.

My interest in science stems entirely from a curiousity about the natural world and how it developed into what we see today.

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Danja

Cool, didn't notice this thread before

Danja / Dan

BS in chemistry and biology (last year)

Currently in my first year of grad school for biophysics. I'm doing protein design/engineering.

Danja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

How did I only just find out about this forum?

name: Julian

background: BSc. in mathematics, UNBC; MS and PhD in Mathematics, University of Oregon. Specialization is broadly in functional analysis, specifically the classification theory of nuclear C*-algebras arising from minimal topological dynamical systems.

why I love science: Ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated with how the natural universe works. I originally wanted to be a physicist (and am still very interested in quantum physics), then discovered in college that I had more talent for mathematics. Although my own research is squarely in the pure math side of things, my field does have some tangential links with aspects of quantum mechanics and other topics in contemporary theoretical physics.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Name: Kevin

Background: Studied at UofT Pharmacology program from 2007-2012, graduated June 2012.

Career goal is to get a job in the pharmaceutical industry as a Quality Control or Quality Assurance Analyst. I am considering taking a college program at Seneca or Humber to better prepare myself in the workforce.

Why I like Science: I think it's fascinating and interesting.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Name: William

Background: Recently obtained BSc. in Chemistry with a minor in Math. Currently working on Master's in Chemistry.

Why I love science: There was never any choice.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Background: Two years of BSc. General to complete pre-reqs and now, I'm going into my first year of Pharmacy at University of Alberta. I've also thought about becoming a doctor (writing MCAT at the end of August), but damn, it's just so difficult in Canada. I'll try though.

Why I love Science: Well, I like all fields of science because it's pretty interesting, but Physiology is really my main passion. I love knowing everything and anything about the body... it can be drug-receptor interactions (pharmacology), infectious diseases and their pathogenicity/virulence (micro/immunology), simply knowing how cellular processes work (cell bio), knowing mechanisms inside each orgran (anatomy/physiology)... I can go on and on, haha.

Simply put, Endocrinology and Infectious Diseases are my two favorite topics in all of Science.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Coming to the party late, but better late than never right?

Name: Derrick
Background: BSc in Computer Science
Why I like science: I just love learning how things work even if it takes you down to an atomic level.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 03:01 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Name:Brandon
Scientific Background:B.S. in Chemical engineering, minor in materials minor in mathematics
Why you like Science:No room for bs or reliance on authority. Either it's true and can be verified independently, or it's simply not true.

Love the idea for this board. Far more likely to lurk than post, though. Since despite my degree I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to physics/chemistry.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 02:42 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

Name: Steve

Background: Senior Mechanical Engineering student.

I've always had an interest for how the world works. I enjoy reading particle physics/astronomy on the side as well.

StronGeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:52 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Name: John

Science Background: Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Delaware) 1984; PhD (UMass Amherst) 1989, publications, presentations and patents.

Why I love Science: Answers to scientific questions often lead to more complicated questions, which deepens the mystery of existence.

Just found out about the Science Board.

07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Tapacehko

Name: Dan
Scientific Background: Wildlife Biologist working in Southern Missouri
Why you like Science: How can you not like science? I've always had a fascination with the natural landscape and how plant and animal communities interact. After reading Aldo Leopolds "A Sand County Almanac" many moons ago, I dedicated my life to the powers of conservation.

Tapacehko is online now   Reply With Quote