HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 05:46 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I love Del Rio but I really doubt his playcalling on that last drive and in the whole second half.

On the big play, the Ravens were in third down, and had zero timeouts. And here's your defensive alignment at the snap of the ball:

I guess the safeties were playing Flacco's right hand (notice the safety cheating over) but if that's the case then why is Moore not deeper? And why are they playing them straight up instead of taking the sideline away? The safeties should have been spread out more, and who knows WTF the middle line backer was doing. Sure you give up the entire middle of the field but who cares? They had an absolute long way to go. They get one completion and that clock's down to 20 seconds with the ball at the Broncos 30-40 yard line in worst case scenario.

Just a bonehead defensive alignment. Also, I hated Del Rio's adjustments as well. Champ Bailey is possibly the BEST 0-15 yard cornerback this league has ever seen, but 15+ he has ALWAYS been rather ordinary. There's no way I would have ever put Torrey Smith on him. Smith is either a home run hitter or zilch. Same with Jones. The 0-15 yard grind em out guy is Boldin, who Champ should have been on.

Finally, no defensive pressure. Not sure I can lump that one on Del Rio. These idiots will all say Flacco was the best player on the field that day, but the Baltimore offensive line was the MVP of that game. Their pass protection won it for the Ravens. Bronco's defense and it's aggressive defensive backfield play has been predicated on QB pressure. We never got any, and the Jones TD (along with Smiths 2 bombs) are perfect evidence of a Defensive Coordinator not making any adjustments at all. Just real stubbornness game planning by Del Rio.
Baltimore's O-Line got away with quite a few holds though...many of which were right in the face of an Official.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
It was more than I expected at the beginning of the season. It reminds me a lot of the loss to Jacksonville.

Anyway I think the team can easily get better. Clady is the only big free agent and he can be franchised. We'll be an attractive destination for Free Agents and only have a few holes to plug (DT, MLB, Safety, guard, depth receiver, probably an RB, maybe a center).

When everyone talks about the injury "luck" I am one to credit finally firing Tuten.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
It was more than I expected at the beginning of the season. It reminds me a lot of the loss to Jacksonville.

Anyway I think the team can easily get better. Clady is the only big free agent and he can be franchised. We'll be an attractive destination for Free Agents and only have a few holes to plug (DT, MLB, Safety, guard, depth receiver, probably an RB, maybe a center).

When everyone talks about the injury "luck" I am one to credit finally firing Tuten.
Yeah, me too. Can only get better next year.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:

It really is close. Check this creepy stuff out...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...umerous/18170/

I'd love for them to get Lacey from Alabama at RB to possibly replace Knowshawn or Mcgahee. They need to bring back Koppen and maybe Brooking. Koppen especially. And if Stokley hangs 'em up they need to make a big play for Wes Welker.

Anyway, either I've been in shock since Saturday night or I have finally thawed out from being there because I have been getting angrier and angrier about it all day.

Did love how Elway danced around the question "if you were the QB, would you have taken the knee?"

Old
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
What's Yao Ming's talent other than being freakishly tall? Of course they're a talent as well.

Same question about throwballl whats the talent in the defensive/offensive lines being overwieght and throwing their bodies around like miny sumo wrestlers.
Yao Ming had great hands and was a highly talented big man, really one of the most talented I've ever seen. Had he stayed healthy, he was a hall of fame caliber player.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Yao Ming had great hands and was a highly talented big man, really one of the most talented I've ever seen. Had he stayed healthy, he was a hall of fame caliber player.
I swear soccer fans are worse than a vegetarian, Apple using, jazz enthusiast, evangelist. Not only must they promote the awful game that thrives on the abject poverty of the non-western world, annoy with constant pedantry, make vainglorious pronouncements of the game's status, but as a kicker we have to put up with the denigration of every other sport just in a grasp for status.

Last edited by Hasbro: 01-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
I swear soccer fans are worse than a vegitarian, Apple using, jazz enthusiast, evangelist. Not only must they promote the awful game that thrives on the abject poverty of the non-western world, annoy with constant pedantry, make vainglorious pronouncments of the game's status, but as a kicker we have to put up with the denigration of every other sport just in a grasp for status.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
It really is close. Check this creepy stuff out...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...umerous/18170/

I'd love for them to get Lacey from Alabama at RB to possibly replace Knowshawn or Mcgahee. They need to bring back Koppen and maybe Brooking. Koppen especially. And if Stokley hangs 'em up they need to make a big play for Wes Welker.
Stokely wants to stick around. He's a better value than Welker. Willis has to go. I saw speculation that half of Manning's INTs this year were plays Willis ran the wrong route...and I'm inclined to find some thruth in that. If they find a guy in the mid-rounds that could work.

I'm sure Koppen is at least open to the idea, which is good because JD Walton has been in over his head since he got here. He should have had a year to learn behind Weigmann, fricken McDaniels!

As loath as I am to play free agent mad libs (look at all the other fans who penciled Manning into their line ups last off season) and my doubt that players like Ed Reed or Urlacher will hit the market here are a couple potential targets:

Buffalo has to be a bit tight against the cap and both Safety Jarius Byrd and Guard Andy Levitre are expiring. One should at least test the market and either could help here.

Similarly Miami might have to ignore DT Randy Starks to keep Tackle Jake Long.

Brooking is too old and I'm sick of DJ Williams, especially if he's still at $6 million.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Oh yeah, who is ANY soccer fan to say anything about fan hooliganism in any sport. Say what you will about Raider Nation, they've never started a war.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nada View Post
As someone who played both sports quite a bit, the skills needed to be an effective interior defender in association football in a lot of situations aren't all that different from the skills needed to be an effective pass-blocking OT for example. Not the way you use your hands/feet obviously, but your mindset and how you read the play and react.

Same with wide receivers and strikers that play in sort of a reactive counter-strike system. Also there's the obvious similarity between the QB and a playmaking center-midfielder. Those read-react instincts are what innate talent is, the ball skills are 99% practice.
That's why I said to a certain extent Basketball. There are moany talented Baketball players but there are some that just big so they ended up getting drafted and playing well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Not from the games I've seen. Mind you it's obviously less than what you have seen but from what I've seen Yao wasn't talented. Him being a hall of caliber type only helps my point.

Quote:
I swear soccer fans are worse than a vegetarian, Apple using, jazz enthusiast, evangelist. Not only must they promote the awful game that thrives on the abject poverty of the non-western world, annoy with constant pedantry, make vainglorious pronouncements of the game's status, but as a kicker we have to put up with the denigration of every other sport just in a grasp for status.
Oh boo hoo. People have said a lot worse things about (real) Football, than what I've said about basketball/ AM ball.

Funny it relies on abject poverty( it really doesn't) yet, there's more money in it than most sports.

Quote:
Oh yeah, who is ANY soccer fan to say anything about fan hooliganism in any sport. Say what you will about Raider Nation, they've never started a war.
I don't see how crazy fans, have anything to do with the sport? I could've brought up all those coke head criminals in Am football but has nothing to do with the sport it self.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Hey D2M, it's better to be in poverty than jail cells, which majority of throwball players find themselves in once in their lives.

I do have a problem with basketball. The sport itself is not bad and is actually quite fun, but I do not respect majority of the players. They all sound like Dany "Effin All-Star" Heatley. And D2M has a point about athleticism. We've seen it many times before, if you have an amazing body, player centre, and a bit of talent; you completely dominate a team sport. Also look at Kobe, they guy has one of the best talent in the sport and is complete ball hog.

Throwball is more terms of athleticism. If you can run fast, jump, and be tough you have a great throwball player. Probably takes the least amount of talent to succeed in besides Quarterback.

Also Hasbro, I find the same thing wrong with throwball fans. They are so effin annoying they ruin the sport whenever I try to watch a game or try to get back into it. Fat Americans getting drunk and getting more fat with buffalo wings.

Last edited by S E P H: 01-15-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Rhaego

Dis gon be good

Old
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Rhaego

Old
01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

^ The worst commercial is Wing Night by that stupid Miller or Bud Light. So damn annoyinh.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post

I don't see how crazy fans, have anything to do with the sport? I could've brought up all those coke head criminals in Am football but has nothing to do with the sport it self.
Cocaine's association with soccer is typicaly from the supply end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Hey D2M, it's better to be in poverty than jail cells, which majority of throwball players find themselves in once in their lives.
Unfortunately the rest of the world really doesn't ant to arrest the skinhead hooligans in the stands.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
anleva

Bad lip reading of the NFL

Old
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Bad lip reading of the NFL

Long time, no see. Welcome back.

That was funny as hell.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
anleva

Now for a real shocker.

Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...ason-is-a-hoax

Old
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Long time, no see. Welcome back.

That was funny as hell.
Thanks, looking forward to some hockey to help me recover from the Bronco's choke.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:16 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Now for a real shocker.

Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...ason-is-a-hoax
Why anybody would even try to fake that is unbelievable. In a day and age where so much information on people is readily available it was bound to be found out.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
anleva

Now Notre Dame is in on it. Official statement:

Quote:
Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President
So he never met her? Just online? Many stories out there of him meeting her after the game in Stanford, her traveling to his house in Hawaii, talking on the phone nightly. ***** getting deep now. Oh, and Notre Dame apparently knew about it for awhile as well.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Cocaine's association with soccer is typicaly from the supply end.

Unfortunately the rest of the world really doesn't ant to arrest the skinhead hooligans in the stands.
Wrong again first of all most soccer players don't come from countries that have background with drugs and 2nd even if they did the players themselves have nothing to do with drugs or crimes.

... again with the hooligans that have nothing to do with the sport, when the players start riots, you have a point but until then you're talking nonsense.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
anleva

Old
01-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
No matter whether Rahim Moore comes back, plays well, plays poorly, gets traded/cut -- I'm forever calling him Buckner. That play was on that level.

I have 21 points directly going the Ravens' way from officiating mistakes -- missed PI on Decker leads to pick 6, Bailey gets OPI'd for a touchdown, and the absolutely laughable holding call on Kuper leads to a Manning fumble the next play. That's ignoring the bad calls that didn't affect the game significantly -- the Bailey PI call, the failure to overturn the Bolden "catch," etc.

This may not be exactly the right place to ask, but I see a lot of people saying officiating was bad both ways. Where did the Ravens get burned by the officials?
I noticed that on at least 2 times, decker got away with offensive PI and on the 2nd ko return for td there was a block in the back. And there was a bad call on the broncos that followed a bad call on the ravens. Obvious make up call. Even if there were a few more bad calls that went against the broncos, the fact is that the broncos had 2 ko returns for td and very little else on offense. Throw those 2 tds away and the game is not close at all. Lots of blame to go around. Pass rush was unusually terrible for a team with a ton of sacks and the ravens oline is not that great. Flacco also missed on several wide open bombs in the first half that could've really put them ahead by a lot. Maybe that would've been to denvers favor. It seemed like all game long that they took the ravens cheap and manning would bail them out at the end.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Josh McDaniels lost...all is right in the world.

Closed Thread