HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames expected to re-sign Jarome Iginla

Old
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Iggy-4-50

vCash: 500
Two summers ago I talked to Iggy about moving and said "if the team felt it better to move him he would consider it but he would rather stay as he couldn't imagine not being a calgary flame and moving to a contender today is far from a guaranteed cup"

Reality is he's worth more to the flames then what he would bring back. A couple a good GM moves, good coaching and the flames could have a very solid team in a couple of years, nobody can predict the future. especially in today's NHL.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Ron Wilson*

This thread is very misleading. Watch the videos, don't pick out the parts you want OP.

Iginla is probably the most respected man in hockey.

He wants to see how the year goes and will make a decision by the deadline
if they are out of the playoffs. He will get traded and not re sign to the team he goes to.

He would be a pure rental. He will finish his career in Calgary. Same deal as Brian Leetch and the Leafs/Rangers situation.

Ron Wilson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadanny View Post
Honestly, great player - but moving him would actually help the Flames ice a competitive team in future years with the return.

Also, you would think Iggy would like to win a cup before he retires.
explain how flames arent competitive now? what a couple more wins and they make the playoffs over cup champs. had so many injuries last season. get a grip.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
If he stays on that team, I hope he is compensated very well. Is Feaster ever going to rebuild?
As much as I think Feaster has made some bad decisions. I would imagine that it is the ownership that doesn't want to see a rebuild happen.

That is why they come off as desperate to get players. Hence "Wideman money".

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Some quick points, when are people going to get that the Flames are not rebuilding just because that's the sexy thing to do on HF?

The time to trade Iggy would of been 3 seasons ago, his value on an expiring contract in a shortened seasons is not going to bring back a return that will bring riches to our prospect pool.

Feaster handles the business part of the Flames, Wiesbrod looks after the hockey part of things. Under Wiesbrod, the Flames have been drafting much, much better and I don't think anyone that closely follows our team views our future as all that bleak.

Iginla is more than just a player to the Flames, he's an iconic figure in our city. If there is mutual interest from both sides, I'd be thrilled to see Iggy retire a Flame and so would most of our city. He would be an ideal mentor to our younger guys coming up (ie. Sven and Gaudreau).

Lastly, I won't be completely at ease until he is extended. Feaster basically said they want to get him resigned and said both sides will talk. Of course if that doesn't happen, the situation could change and our teams performance early on this season could play a role in that. Nothing has been declared as a certainty yet.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Nothing wrong with wanting to retire a Calgary player. He could be the Alfredsson/Phillips of this team.

I have no idea what their front office are doing though. They keep signing players for too much money instead of realizing that the window isn't closing. It's been closed for years.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Pi

It's pretty good that they want to remain loyal to their franchise player. Though, I do think that Iginla could fetch quite a bit in a trade...he would be worth more than a late first round pick + mid level prospect, he's still only 34-35 and has been productive every year.

Also, can someone please explain this to me:

People bash the Oilers for tanking.
People bash the Leafs for not tanking like the Oilers have.
People bash every move the Flames do suggesting that they blow the team up and rebuild.

Doesn't make any sense.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Because trading all your assets for picks and prospects is the only way to rebuild.

This burn it to the ground rebuild model that this forum sees as the only method to rebuild is ridiculous.
Since when did an aging Iginla become "all your assets"?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
It's pretty good that they want to remain loyal to their franchise player. Though, I do think that Iginla could fetch quite a bit in a trade...he would be worth more than a late first round pick + mid level prospect, he's still only 34-35 and has been productive every year.

Also, can someone please explain this to me:

People bash the Oilers for tanking.
People bash the Leafs for not tanking like the Oilers have.
People bash every move the Flames do suggesting that they blow the team up and rebuild.

Doesn't make any sense.
It's not like the Oilers chose to suck...

And people were critical of the leafs and flames because they were selling their future for an immediate win that never happened.

Sure Kessel puts up a ton of points, but Seguin and Hamlton?

The best thing Calgary has done in the last few years was trade Erixon for Horak and what turned out to be Wotherspoon and Granlund.

Not every team can be Detroit.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Since when did an aging Iginla become "all your assets"?
So we should only trade Iginla? And for what?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Sorry I don't buy into his hype.

He is this generations Keith Tkachuk.

But he is a nice guy in front of the cameras so he is a great leader.. smh.

Tkachuk is only 5 years older than Iggy, and they both played in the league together for 14 years...how are they of different generations?

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

While I agree that Iginla is overrated, it does not take away from the fact that he is probably the last of the great power forwards. He is, however, a relic of an age forgotten.

While he might re-sign in Calgary, I would not be surprised that he is paying lip service to Calgary with the full intent of bolting the minute he can. I know if I was presented with the very poor future the Flames have in store in the twilight of my career and I haven't won anything meaningful except some overblown Olympic games and an appearance in the Finals that one time, I'd bolt too.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Ashasx

So wait.

You go to any Iginla value thread on this forum and everyone says that Iginla doesn't have much value because he's a rental - that he only has one year remaining on his contract.

So, according to this logic, what are the Flames options?

Trade him for crap?
Lose him to free agency?
Or perhaps, re-sign him?

What would be the best idea here? Lose him to free agency, or sign him, and potentially trade him down the road, but his value has now increased since he's not longer a "rental"?

Why can the Flames do no right in the eyes of HF posters? Why did mods allow this thread to degrade with terrible posts from individuals such as FakeKidPoker and the like?

In order for the Flames to be successful, HF wants the Flames to trade Iginla for a late first rounder.

Gee, I wonder what we'll do?

Iginla is to the Flames what Yzerman was to Detroit, what Sakic was to Colorado. You don't trade somebody that means this much to a team for junk. Nor is re-signing the face of your franchise a sign of anything negative to come in relation to a "rebuild".

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I'm all for Iginla staying, but I'm also all for him getting a chance to win the Cup.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
So aside from the late 1st Rounder, what should the Flames expect in a trade that will turn the franchise around?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Because it severely cripples any chance of a decent rebuild.
Basing a complete rebuild on trading Iginla alone is delusional. Especially now.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So wait.

You go to any Iginla value thread on this forum and everyone says that Iginla doesn't have much value because he's a rental - that he only has one year remaining on his contract.

So, according to this logic, what are the Flames options?

Trade him for crap?
Lose him to free agency?
Or perhaps, re-sign him?

What would be the best idea here? Lose him to free agency, or sign him, and potentially trade him down the road, but his value has now increased since he's not longer a "rental"?

Why can the Flames do no right in the eyes of HF posters? Why did mods allow this thread to degrade with terrible posts from individuals such as FakeKidPoker and the like?

In order for the Flames to be successful, HF wants the Flames to trade Iginla for a late first rounder.

Gee, I wonder what we'll do?

Iginla is to the Flames what Yzerman was to Detroit, what Sakic was to Colorado. You don't trade somebody that means this much to a team for junk. Nor is re-signing the face of your franchise a sign of anything negative to come in relation to a "rebuild".
Iginla has high value in a trade 100%

1st + good prospect + young player/pick

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Iginla has high value in a trade 100%

1st + good prospect + young player/pick
HF would probably riot.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:55 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
HF would probably riot.
Wasnt it agreed on the other Iginla thread thats somewhere in the ball park

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
zeus3007*

So Feaster saying they want to re-sign Iginla, and Iginla saying that he loves Calgary = Iginla is re-signing? I don't think so. Lots of guys leave a city they love for a chance to win.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
HF would probably riot.
Well HF is filled with a bunch of teenagers with no real sense of how hockey operations work, so that's not surprising.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Good for Iggy, good for the Flames, bad for the fans that want to rebuild.
Strangely, I think the only fans that want a Flames rebuild is other team's fans.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
MessierII

Denial

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:25 PM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

Always liked and respected Iginla. Wouldn't expect him to say/do anything else at this point in his career.

Still, I'd love for the Canucks to get him for a playoff run. I'd be worth what we'd have to give up just to watch CalgaryPuck explode.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Crows*

The flames are a disaster.

Feaster has no clue what the **** he is doing.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote